March 28, 2024, 03:58:26 AM

Author Topic: About Last Night...Progress Before Perfection  (Read 3860 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
About Last Night...Progress Before Perfection
« on: October 14, 2015, 07:18:42 AM »
Dear Forumites,

While many of you may be disappointed with last nights scoreline, let us keep things in perspective and look at the big picture. A World Cup journey is long and arduous and while preparation began many moons ago I saw last night a number of positive steps. Remember it is not only about the team on the field, it is about the coaching, the marketing, the off field issues and infrastructure, the public and in time all will be just right giving our team the best chance at progressing in this qualification phase.

Let us start by wishing our Captain a speedy recovery from injury as he went into a challenge with the opposing goalkeeper. While he did not have a good game, he did try to do the right things and encourage his team mates on the field. There were times he even resorted to playing deep and bringing the ball out the back. Keep your head up and press on.

I must applaud the TTFF and whoever is doing their marketing campaign. Everything is being done professionally and to intl standards. Also they are using their social media presence very effectively to woo patrons. Don't worry about last nights turnout.; there were many factors contributing to the poor showing. Day of week, inclement weather, miami carnival, Shabba concert the other day, Jr. Gong to come funds were tight for people this month and to pay to see Nicaragua...well it had people skeptical.
Also I believe flow had the game on tv, so that kept others away.

The TTFF now understand that football is an entertainment event and did the following; new rebranding of the team, new secondary logo with a lil spartan helment, a proper social media presence with hashtags, events on facebook, consistent ads, a new celebrity "supporter" character, branded visible team bus, even the tickets were of a better standard; done by andes gate solutions.

Walking into the stadium was very impressive as they put up trellis scaffolding in the main gate by St Johns Ambulance. Here they fashioned an arena type, Colosseum entrance, with larger than life size banners of our players in various poses. Excellent execution, fans also took pictures against this magnificent backdrop with their favourite players and it was heartening to see families and groups pose up.

Then there was a small stage, complete with lights, pumping music and dj to hype up the crowd. A small store was set up under a tent selling t-shirts and warrior merchandise and there were youths with backpacks selling warrior stickers and other things. I was really taken aback...they got it right!  ;D

Now here is where they started to get it wrong.  >:( :bs: There are at least 8-10 gates in the grounds section. Maybe they were expecting a large crowd, but they made us walk quite to arse down by the gates located opposite the marriot.

Ok, no scene maybe they didnt want congestion by the stage area out front...but get this they had only 2 gates open, yes two, so the lines were long long and snaking. A quick digital scan and you were in; but then you have to walk further west to access the staircase so essentially you enter the grounds section past the goal post on Movietown side.

No scene;but I was looking to take a pee before the game, wha bout the bathroom on that side lock. Ok start to walk again, second bathroom by jean pierre lock, believe the only male toilet open was the one past all the vendors near the corner flag on the clock side of the stadium.  :bs: Come on better than that and wha bout the toilet had no water, neither the vendors selling food. Believe I didn't eat no pie, nuttin last night.

So after reaching up in the stands, I was greeted by a big scaffolding stage. Apparently, Flow set up this thing here and put their cameras and commentators. Fenwick and Corneal there to commentate on the game. They effectively removed at least 60 seats for people and the stage took up part of the walkway, creating a bottleneck up top and safety hazard. Coupled with wires, electricity etc...I ent no Osha man, but plain common sense, that just wasn't right.

Infront of them were the new fans that seem to be paid to create an atmosphere. So there was the new "superfan" mascot with the TT flag draped on him like a cape and this group actually had chants and songs going on. I kid you not...but you could tell it was scripted, the words, the ole...but they try. It's just nobody ent take them on and after a while they got tired and quiet down.

Another interesting thing is they set up 3 speakers in grounds on the track and while the game going on start to blast a MP3 of a iron and riddim section. No live thing eh, but iron on CD. All in an attempt to create a atmosphere. Then they start to adjust volume...more kicks, high and low.

Anthems sung, teams line up and all the TT players standing head and shoulders over their opponents. We start out in a 4-4-2, adjusting to a 3-5-2 when we realise Nicaragua had nuttin.
To be fair TT controlled the early 20 mins of the game well, we attacked with pace, creating chances and joevin jones and trevin ceasar were our main threats, jovein running up the flank and trevin on the opposite flank taking it to them.

Kenwyn was point man taking the long ball and knocking it back but after a while service was hard to come by. Kevan george did a good job defensively in the midfield but we were lacking distribution. kenwyn then dropped deep like rooney and started to help bring the ball out.

After the opening 20 mins where we had some crosses and shots. We just fell apart, I dont know if we ran out of ideas, were trying something or just were off but the mistakes started to happen and we played a tippy tappy game knocking the ball in the back under no pressure. Reach halfline...send it long to the opposite flank and if it wasnt lost in this process, a wing run or a post up play would be intercepted or messed up due to a bad pass or touch...we look like arsenal on a very bad day!

But Nicaragua couldnt make a note, they couldnt string 3 passes and we won the ball back very quickly. I was pleased with this aspect of our game and unless you following the team a while, you wouldn't appreciate this. Nicaragua got maybe one corner and a probably one shot off for the entire first half and it was always self inflicted mistakes causing that. We were in total control!

Nicaragua did have a midget number 10 that had Cyrus and Marshall hot. Cyrus collect a belt and Marshall genuflect with a fake and cut by the corner flag. He also get a quick breed with a step over too quietly.

The beat of the night, was by either Ceasar or Cummings in the first half...a long ball bounced and the tt player faked the defender and backheeled it over his head. He nearly get it clean but the defender jumped just in time to graze the ball away.

Half time reach, second half start and is same ole same ole. But we were making inroads down the flanks, we were good on the counter and we were creating chances, it is just the final ball was lacking or intercepted.

Marshall was replaced by Abu Bakr and he didnt have much to do, playing on the right side of a back three. He just moved a bit clumsy at times and needs to pass out the ball faster, but nothing detrimental.

When Andre Boucaud came on our game stepped up a level big time. We need his composure and play making ability on the field. We started to bounce the ball, the knock brand started and he supported the play and brought it out from the back. The through ball finally started to come and I believe coach hart is still experimenting looking for his best combo.

The good thing is that nobody has a sure pick on this side any more, the star boy thing not happening again and the recruits all tusty and running hard and trying their best. We cannot discard any player as our pool is small, but Hyland needs to step up his game soon. I know what he is capable of and I think its a confidence thing.

What we should take from our opponents last night is that they managed a clean sheet away from home playing absolutely no brand. With no attacking threat and just organizing themselves behind the ball in the final third. At the 80th minute the theatrics came out and alot of stoppages and faking. But we need these lessons and how to react.

kenwyne just before he came off blocked a shot that seemed to be going in from Ceasar or Cummings but that was a hard luck, nuttin you coulda do about that.

But we did put the ball in the back of the net from a corner...it seemed a legit goal, a good header from Abu Bakr, but the ref called a foul. The Nicaraguan goalie flopped and convinced him he was fouled so the goal didnt stand.

There was one small victory in the stands last night by a supporter who finally got it right in the 90th min. The solider bought a plastic vuvuzela and ketch he arse whole night to blow it. With every attempt the man failed and sounded like Snuffelupagus from sesame street with a bad cold. People laugh, they heckle him and the fella feel real shame. When he finally get some noise the whole crowd in grounds gave him a cheer and a clap. It was good entertainment you had to be there.

So while disappointed in the result, I was not surprised and I saw progress being made by the team. It was a friendly exercise and I feel the coach got some answers last night.

Let us hope kenwyne is not seriously injured and let us ready ourselves for the next two important games. They are difficult games and I think anything more than 2 points for us is a bonus. Let us be realistic and try to win both of them, but the schedule and timing is difficult.

Don't panic and fret, we will press on and regroup. This team has what it takes to make it to Russia! Remember progress before perfection.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 07:42:25 AM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: About Last Night...Progress Before Perfection
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 08:04:35 AM »
Touch of class!!!
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 08:05:34 AM »

Infront of them were the new fans that seem to be paid to create an atmosphere. So there was the new "superfan" mascot with the TT flag draped on him like a cape and this group actually had chants and songs going on. I kid you not...but you could tell it was scripted, the words, the ole...but they try. It's just nobody ent take them on and after a while they got tired and quiet down.

Very good report. That group sounds like the Central FC supporters lol alongside Rodey. They do it all on their own. Make up chants and sing songs for every single player. If there was a lady with them, then that was Willis Plaza's mother.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 08:10:09 AM »
Touches welcome back bro and thanks for taking time to do this report. Every time I read this, I feel like I was there in the midst of everything. I feel much better hearing you say that you saw progress in the team despite the result. Also good to know the TTFA is trying to re-brand the team image with their new marketing strategy. Though they got some things wrong, they tried but did a lot of things right as well. We need to get that gate entrance and restroom situation resolved by the USA game! I like how we have a branded visible team bus now and giant size posters of the players around the stadium, that's a step in the right direction. I really hope all is well with KJ and it's nothing major. Thanks again Touches, very grateful for this  :beermug:

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 08:10:37 AM »
nice report touches...nice to see a return............ had plans to come but a recent death in meh extended family......took mih extra cash to tobago with mih mom, will make d U.S. game provided no unforeseen circumstances..... someting needs to be done to rile our twelfth man from slumber from what I hearing.....
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 08:12:34 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline benedicts bwoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 08:20:18 AM »
Nice one Touches!  :salute:

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 08:46:49 AM »
Thanks Touches. Very welcome report and good to see you back in form. Very entertaining too.
Notable calming comments for a jittery public that is sometimes unsure of or insecure about the team's real performance.
Do hope the best for KJ.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 08:47:01 AM »
Filled with insights.  :beermug:

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 09:04:44 AM »
boss report touches!!   :beermug: :beermug:

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 09:28:59 AM »
Good report, Touches.

I like the title, "Progress Before Perfection".  :beermug:  :beermug:  :beermug:
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 10:16:09 AM »
Agreed with you the marketing people.  :wavetowel: :cheers:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 10:32:54 AM »
Yuh ent miss a beat touches  ..... nicely done  ..... very refreshing read..  yuh is a boss

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 11:20:38 AM »
Yuh ent miss a beat touches  ..... nicely done  ..... very refreshing read..  yuh is a boss

CO-SIGN he get a man to resurrect the memorable quotes thread.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 11:40:48 AM »
Thanks as usual Mr T.

Re: marketing - nice on the bus and start with the social media - but there's so much more they could have done and still can do. I assume they are using an agency - still in the dark with it comes to social media. Maybe with some "wins" they will get some help in that realm from the public and have it organic.

As another poster pointed out - still no gear to purchase? So you get fans at the game and FAILED to build on that.

But little progress is progress?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 11:42:37 AM »
Now here is where they started to get it wrong.  >:( :bs: There are at least 8-10 gates in the grounds section. Maybe they were expecting a large crowd, but they made us walk quite to arse down by the gates located opposite the marriot.

Ok, no scene maybe they didnt want congestion by the stage area out front...but get this they had only 2 gates open, yes two, so the lines were long long and snaking. A quick digital scan and you were in; but then you have to walk further west to access the staircase so essentially you enter the grounds section past the goal post on Movietown side.

No scene;but I was looking to take a pee before the game, wha bout the bathroom on that side lock. Ok start to walk again, second bathroom by jean pierre lock, believe the only male toilet open was the one past all the vendors near the corner flag on the clock side of the stadium.  :bs: Come on better than that and wha bout the toilet had no water, neither the vendors selling food. Believe I didn't eat no pie, nuttin last night.

This sounds more like Stadium Operations (which would be the responsibility of the HCS) rather than the responsibility/fault of the TTFA, who are the tenants.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 11:45:34 AM »
Touches! Missed your reports man :) Great to see you on the forums, welcome home.  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 12:08:42 PM »
Valid point, Bakes ... thing is, this long has been the state of play with respect to these events. It's important that the TTFA liaise with HCS personnel to resolve with respect to events under its ambit. Same would apply to the NAAA for an international track meet. It's too basic of a problem to present a continual plague.

Sometimes toilets remain locked merely b/c ppl doh want to deal with the cleaning headache.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 12:10:20 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 12:18:46 PM »
Great report Touches. It sounds as if the TTFA is starting to focus in on the marketing side of things.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 03:32:32 PM »
Valid point, Bakes ... thing is, this long has been the state of play with respect to these events. It's important that the TTFA liaise with HCS personnel to resolve with respect to events under its ambit. Same would apply to the NAAA for an international track meet. It's too basic of a problem to present a continual plague.

Sometimes toilets remain locked merely b/c ppl doh want to deal with the cleaning headache.

I can't speak for them, but indeed... the situation isn't new, Touches himself has reported on congestion at gates and bathroom issues in the past.  The problem is that HCS is a law unto itself in this regard... it's not like the FA has many other options, particularly since the HCS is allowing them not only office space, but also use of the facility free of charge.  HCS are under no obligation to listen to any complaint from a tenant who doesn't pay rent.  But even if the TTFA paid for use of the facility, they'd still be at the mercy of the stadium administration for lack of meaningful alternatives to hosting the games.  The key to addressing these particular complaints lies with the Ministry.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 03:32:40 PM »
Touches !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yuh nice boss.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 04:12:36 PM »
Touches can you rate the players including the subs?

I heard Andrews looked a good deal?

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 04:48:59 PM »

I can't speak for them, but indeed... the situation isn't new, Touches himself has reported on congestion at gates and bathroom issues in the past.  The problem is that HCS is a law unto itself in this regard... it's not like the FA has many other options, particularly since the HCS is allowing them not only office space, but also use of the facility free of charge.  HCS are under no obligation to listen to any complaint from a tenant who doesn't pay rent.  But even if the TTFA paid for use of the facility, they'd still be at the mercy of the stadium administration for lack of meaningful alternatives to hosting the games.  The key to addressing these particular complaints lies with the Ministry.

Man last night that stadium was embarrassing. I was in covered stands, the bathroom was in a state, doors off the hinges, no paper towels or soap to clean up.. Smelling stink.

I can only imagine the players dressing room how depressing. I really hope they can give that place a facelift before the game in November.

Is it so hard to sort out bathrooms and lighting issues for the safety and health benefits of kids women and men? Jesus Christ.

The gates complaint is a constant thing. Whoever is the person in SPORTT in charge of event organization really not serious. Probably getting big bucks a month to do nothing.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 06:51:35 PM »
De Touches match report! Thanks pal...really makes me feel like I was there...but I wasn't...I was listening to those 2 clowns on vibe ct 105...that get me mad...we draw...that get me mad...and the 2 lil smallies ah denting up was harassing me...but I'm glad for the report....it appeases my disappointment...and I sort out the ladies them today too...both ah dem  ;)
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 07:52:51 AM »
De Touches match report! Thanks pal...really makes me feel like I was there...but I wasn't...I was listening to those 2 clowns on vibe ct 105...that get me mad...we draw...that get me mad...and the 2 lil smallies ah denting up was harassing me...but I'm glad for the report....it appeases my disappointment...and I sort out the ladies them today too...both ah dem  ;)
At the same damn time or back to back like Drake???....doh mind me I jus playing fas :devil:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 09:43:14 AM »
At the same damn time or back to back like Drake???....doh mind me I jus playing fas :devil:

smh  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2015, 10:30:45 AM »
Thanks for the report, Mr. Touches!!!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 04:14:07 PM by Deeks »

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2015, 11:20:57 AM »

I just assumed that was people from this forum yes...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 11:36:28 AM »
Touches can you rate the players including the subs?

I heard Andrews looked a good deal?

Andrews brought energy and did his chances no harm. He play little greedy on some occasions but he was playing for a spot so I could understand that.

Ceasar on the other hand was trying too hard and had a bad night, poor passes, losing ball, running into cul de sacs. He did pull off the beat of the night that Touches mention though. Both he and Joevin were playing as midfielders rather than outside forwards so that affected their ability to create or get involved in the attack as much as we would have wanted as Hart tried the 2 fwds again in this game.

Joevin did better when Hart changed the system and moved Hyland forward to support the striker with Boucaud and Kevan George behind him.

Boucaud changed the game. He brought leadership, distribution, composure and drive when he came on. He was real quarelling with all the players for any sloppiness.

I think Bakr and Bateau is first choice CB pairing, not that Marshall do anything wrong but those two have a calm, commanding presence...and a definite threat at set pieces, moreso than Andrews and Lawrence did based on stats already.

Williams seems to be first choice LB. David looked solid back up but not the same going forward.
Cyrus was solid but didn't have much in front of him

Kenwyne did his job. Glenn looked like we not losing much when Kenwyne not there.

Cummings had his worst game in national colours as the coach tried him as a forward for Jones to knock the ball onto. Does not seem like his type of role. Hart should have tried Plaza alongside Jones if he wanted to test the 4-4-2 sometime in the two games, I think.

Jan Michael looked miles better than Marvin Phillips in terms of how the defence looked and distribution as he didn't have much to do. Also, if we counting clean-sheets...Jan Michael has been in the goal for all of the recent ones.

I eh no Touches but I hope you doh mind mih little insights

You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 01:51:21 PM »
Quote:
 Cummings had his worst game in national colours as the coach tried him as a forward for Jones to knock the ball onto. Does not seem like his type of role. Hart should have tried Plaza alongside Jones if he wanted to test the 4-4-2 sometime in the two games, I think""

we also have Cato .

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2015, 01:19:15 PM »
Boss yuh back... Blessings...

1]; } ?>