April 25, 2024, 02:31:13 AM

Author Topic: Bahrain writer full of confidence  (Read 2325 times)

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Bahrain writer full of confidence
« on: November 10, 2005, 08:38:05 PM »
Howdy folks,
This was written in the Gulf Daily News on October 19th.

Courageous take on the carefree...

Let's keep this strictly between us, but I think Bahrain has a psychological advantage in its final playoff showdown against Trinidad and Tobago for two reasons.

First, as Bahrain play the first-leg in Port-of-Spain, they can travel to the Caribbean island a week (or more) in advance to acclimatise before the crucial match on November 12.

Even a draw in the first-leg can be considered as half the battle won.

Second, Trinidad, on the other hand, will have only three days to travel halfway across the globe, reach Bahrain, and another time zone (in the process lose about seven hours), and get used to desert conditions here before the crunch second-leg on November 16.

Bahrain will also be making the same journey, and losing the same amount of time and energy, agreed; but they will be making a welcome return home and be playing in conditions most suitable to them.

I think, the same holds good in the case of Australia who play their first-leg at Montevideo against Uruguay in another playoff on November 12, before making a long-winding journey for the second-leg to be played at home in Sydney three days later.

I have another reason to give Bahrain the advantage; my gut feeling following their heart-warming performance in the second-leg against Uzbekistan which was in keeping with their 'steady upward trajectory'.

On that day, Bahrain were clearly dominant, and came close to scoring at least three goals in the first five minutes.

Their attacking style was free of frills, but effective and defensive tactics reassuring; and their overall strategy - to go for goals - a timely reminder of their confidence level at a crucial stage in their patient and painstaking odyssey for a first-ever berth in the World Cup.

At another level, the final playoff is shaping into a mouth-watering prospect - carefree Carribeans against courageous Bahrainis; a clash of different sporting cultures contrasting into a delightful showpiece.

The Carribeans are natural athletes having produced top class sprinters (Ato Boldon), cricketers (Brian Lara) and NBA professionals (Carl Herrera of Spurs). Some of their soccer players too have European pedigrees (Dwight Yorke who played for Manchester United and Russell Latapy based in Scotland).

Bahrain does not have such big names, but only players with big hearts ready to play for national pride alone.

That is my final and most pertinent point as I rest my case.
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline Milan!!!

• Naps man fuh life!!!
  • Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bahrain writer full of confidence
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 08:41:38 PM »
there is a saying..empty vessels make the most noise...this sure sounds so!!!...keep dreamin bredrin....

Warriors all de way!!!!

Offline USgalWARRIORbf

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 08:44:19 PM »

Bahrain does not have such big names, but only players with big hearts ready to play for national pride alone.

National pride alone? :shameonyou: I guess the millions of dollars and benz is off the table then?  lets keep it real.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 08:48:03 PM »
this goes beyond national pride for us...we need this as a country as Dog said before....
we doin it
Go TnT
Back in Trini...

Offline TnTVillan

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 08:57:09 PM »
Me eh care what no one say. We winning the game. talk done.

SOCA WARRIORS IN GERMANY 2006.
 :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel:

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 09:26:22 PM »
Based on that article we know more about them than they know about us.

That "carefree Caribbeans" talk is such bullshit.

If they have big hearts I suppose we have nothing then.

We show much more heart than them in this series. You guys know that they actually conceded the lead that they had against Uzbekistan after only two minutes. And talking about chances that could have been scored in the first five minutes is bullshit. It means nothing because the score was 0-0. Saying that they could have scored "at least" three in the "first five" minutes does not impress me. It sounds like he is reaching for straws.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Some facts about Bahrain football team
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 09:29:31 PM »
Howdy.
While the folks in Bahrain are full of confidence that they will get past T&T there World Cup record is less than impressive.

Last win 2-1 over North Korea in North Korea on March 25th 2005. They subsequently lost to North Korea at home 3-2  on the return leg.

Last win at home 4-0 win over Tajikistan on November 17th 2004.

When you count the final round and play-off with Uzbekistan Bahrain has scored five goals in 8 games.

They have not won a game since March which stands at eight and couunting. 

Marc

Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Some facts about Bahrain football team
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 11:16:31 PM »
Soon to be 10 without a win.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 02:02:19 AM »
Let the football do de talking.
Man can't stress dis enough.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline darrel3000

• Full Warrior
  • Go T&T Go!
    • View Profile
    • Professional Audio Sales & Live Event Production
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 02:34:17 AM »
ah see Soca Warriors polo shirt and jacket selling in TIMES SQUARE! well we realy arrive yes.
What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? You must be the change you want to see in the world.
    -Mahatma Gandhi

1]; } ?>