March 28, 2024, 04:13:08 AM

Author Topic: History of Chutney Soca Discussion Thread!  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
History of Chutney Soca Discussion Thread!
« on: February 01, 2015, 12:22:20 AM »
Below is an informative documentary about the evolution of Chutney Soca. 

The main critic I have of it is that they left out Lord Shorty's vital contribution to Chutney Soca's early life (for which he was initially condemned) and which he did long before the fusion became branded as Chutney Soca. I am not sure if the leaving out of Lord Shorty's contribution was done deliberately or if it was an oversight but I must point out that Lord Shorty first fused Calypso with East Indian music even before Sundar Popo did when he did his "Indian Singers" chutney calypso in 1966. Shorty then returned to the same Calypso and East Indian fusion more famously and successfully when he recorded "Indrani" in 1972 that was a big hit for the T&T 1973 Carnival season and the rest is history.

Druptaee's contribution was more to do with the branding of the music as chutney-soca in 1987 and she also was one of the first artist to add tassa drumming to the chutney-soca mix.

Anyway please take in the documentary then leave your comments on the subject.

Chutney In Yuh Soca
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nPCJqqYCXBs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nPCJqqYCXBs</a>

An arts documentary examining the phenomenon of "chutney soca", a musical hybrid from Trinidad & Tobago which blends the traditions of the islands' two biggest ethnic groups -- Indian and African. As much political as musical, "chutney soca" seems to offer a way for the two cultures, often perceived as being mutally antagonistic, to come together in a new exciting fusion of sounds.

Directed by Karen Martinez
21 mins
Made for the Arts Council of Great Britain & Channel 4 TV (UK)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: History of Chutney Soca Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 07:14:02 AM »

1]; } ?>