March 28, 2024, 08:06:32 PM

Author Topic: 2016/17 Hexagonal Series Thread.  (Read 11617 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
2016/17 Hexagonal Series Thread.
« on: November 09, 2015, 04:09:18 PM »
Trinidad’s Hart: CONCACAF Hexagonal is the goal.
CONCACAF.COM.

With the goal clearly stated, Stephen Hart is priming Trinidad & Tobago to navigate an arduous CONCACAF qualifying campaign in order to obtain a treasured place at the 2018 FIFA World Cup table.

Four years removed from missing out on the six-team final round for Brazil 2014, the Soca Warriors will launch their Russian journey at Guatemala on November 13, before hosting the United States four days later.

“The objective is to get in the Hex,” Hart told CONCACAF.com, referring to what is the widely-known moniker for the final round of qualifying in CONCACAF. “If you do your business at home and hope to get some points on the road, you should be able to get in.”

After the failed qualifying attempt last time and before the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup, the Trinidad & Tobago Football Association hired Hart, who had previously managed Canada.

For next week’s encounters, captain and forward Kenwyne Jones headlines a 22-man squad, which will train in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, for four days, before traveling to Guatemala City.

“They (the Guatemalans) are very confident at home, we cannot be sloppy in our approach,” remarked Hart. “They have had tremendous success at home and we have to be cognizant of the fact that you are playing a team that at home has been difficult for anyone going in there.”

It won’t get any easier for the Trinidadians when the U.S. pays a visit to Hasely Crawford Stadium. Although the Americans are winless in five of their last six matches, including three straight losses, Hart isn’t letting those recent results dictate his approach to preparation.

“We will see a different United States team,” he expressed. “They will be a team that is completely different from what we have seen in the last few outings. However, we have to take advantage of the fact we are playing at home.”

Since taking charge of T&T more than two years ago, Hart has galvanized support from the local community with enterprising play and positive results, including two thrilling draws against Mexico during the last four months.

In the CONCACAF Gold Cup, Trinidad earned a Group C-clinching point thanks to Yohance Marshall’s goal late in stoppage time that made it 4-4. The sides then tied 3-3 in a neutral-site friendly on September 4.

Those impressive scorelines have inspired confidence heading into World Cup Qualifying, but Hart believes a measured, patient approach must be maintained.

“The main thing is not to panic with the opening two games because there is a huge break between these games in November and March,” the 55-year-old finished. “That’s the most important thing.”

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 04:22:07 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2016/17 Hexagonal Series Thread.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 04:35:35 PM »
Boss does this mean the Concacaf WC qualifying thread is done?  :D

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 04:39:06 PM »
Boss does this mean the Concacaf WC qualifying thread is done?  :D

No, we will merge when the time is right.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 06:23:24 PM »
Couldn't find the WC qualifying thread

Vincy 1 - US 0

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 06:55:35 PM »
3-1 USA in 43 minute
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 07:20:30 PM »
It might get ugly for the Vincy Heat tonight. 4-1

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Hex here we come!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 07:35:14 PM »
Congrats to the team.

We should have won the match outright. We were REAL shaky in the end but the ultimate goal of reaching the HEX was achieved.

Now we could study alternate lineups against USA, look at who we playing in the Hex and when etc.

Good job guys.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Hex here we come!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 07:37:04 PM »
 :beermug:

Very happy that the team played one of its worst matches and still drew it and could have won..

It shows how strong of a team we have... Congrats to the brothers..

Offline Trin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 07:57:39 PM »
Firstly glad we're in the hex  :beermug:

Secondly I've held my tongue on Cyrus, I've given him the benefit of the doubt but...... my God it was glaring tonight. Every single attack came on his side  :frustrated: It was rediculous. And when he went forward there was absolutely  no cover. Cato did not have a good game either btw. I honestly  would not have started either if I were hart... live and learn I guess but it seems we're taking very long to learn.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 07:59:12 PM »
Yes. Great Independence gift.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 08:00:12 PM »

Secondly I've held my tongue on Cyrus, I've given him the benefit of the doubt but...... my God it was glaring tonight. Every single attack came on his side  :frustrated: It was rediculous. And when he went forward there was absolutely  no cover. Cato did not have a good game either btw. I honestly  would not have started either if I were hart... live and learn I guess but it seems we're taking very long to learn.

Exactly! the problems we see in this game are the same ones we were seeing since the campaign started last year. Same defensive problems with the team, Cyrus playing shit once again, Cato run with the ball with his down and never up thus missing open players... same shit
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:03:41 PM by Sando prince »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 08:01:01 PM »

for me cyrus is back up winger we need to find ah more reliable fullback for he
I pity the fool....

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 08:13:54 PM »
HEX
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 08:46:16 PM »
Good post Palos, HEX here we come.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 09:52:43 PM »
WE inside!!

Congrats to our team for getting to the Hex with one game to spare!!  :beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 10:06:45 PM »
Sheldon Bateau is emerging as one of the best centre backs in concacaf
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 10:39:34 PM »
Sheldon Bateau is emerging as one of the best centre backs in concacaf

Ain't see the game yet, but Bateau is class. Future Captain.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2016, 11:26:45 PM »
Hex with a game to spare have to pinch myself. Agree this was the worse game we played.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2016, 12:41:08 AM »
Jus see de game. Mitchell also impressed. Great squad of fellas to groom for the Hex
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
T&T earns CONCACAF Hexagonal berth.
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2016, 01:49:24 AM »
T&T earns CONCACAF Hexagonal berth.
Concacaf.com.

Joevin Jones and Carlos Ruiz scored twice for their respective sides as Trinidad & Tobago advanced to the final round of CONCACAF qualifying for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying, while 10-man Guatemala kept faint hope alive in a dramatic 2-2 draw on Friday.

Three minutes before Ruiz’s 87th-minute equalizer for Guatemala, teammate Cristian Jimenez was sent off at Hasely Crawford Stadium for pulling down Jones on a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

Had Jones completed the hat-trick, it would’ve sealed victory for the Soca Warriors (3W-2D-0L, 11 points) and eliminated the visiting Guatemalans (2-1-2, 7).

Instead, Ruiz pounced upon a rebound of Marco Pappa’s dipping effort to score his second goal of the evening and his third of the Russia 2018 campaign.

Guatemala still has a lot of work to do on the final day of Group C play Tuesday to have any hope of advancing. It has to defeat visiting St. Vincent & the Grenadines, while Trinidad & Tobago must beat the host United States (3-1-1, 10). Then goal difference will come into play with the U.S. currently holding a sizeable +13 to +1 advantage.

T&T can capture the group with a win or a draw.

After a promising opening for the Central Americans, Ruiz put Guatemala ahead in the 36th minute.

Jimenez provided the service, latching onto a pass down the right and sending in a first-time cross that skidded across a wet field and toward the back post. Ruiz slid to redirect it home from close range.

The Soca Warriors responded with more offensive pressure, twice coming close to scoring before Jones leveled things in first-half stoppage time.

On an odd-man break, Daneil Cyrus whipped in a cross from the right. Jones held his run to stay onside and met the service 10 yards from goal, where he sent a low finish between the legs of charging goalkeeper Paolo Motta.

Jones gave T&T the lead in the 62nd minute, getting free on the left side of the penalty area and cutting back to elude Jimenez, before poking a left-footed effort beyond Motta’s dive.

Four minutes later, T&T goalkeeper Marvin Phillips made a pair of acrobatic saves to keep his side in the lead. But 20 minutes after that, his failure to corral Pappa’s initial shot from near the edge of the penalty area gave Ruiz the room he needed for his second.

Results

Trinidad and Tobago  2  v  Guatemala  2
J.Jones 45    C.Ruiz 35
J.Jones 62    C.Ruiz 85

Teams

Trinidad and Tobago: 1.Marvin Phillip; 5.Daneil Cyrus, 4.Sheldon Bateau (Yellow 89), 12.Carlyle Mitchell, 17.Mekeil Williams (Yellow 12); 14.Andre Boucaud (19.Kevan George 66th), 8.Khaleem Hyland, 13.Cordell Cato, 10.Kevin Molino (16.Levi Garcia 68th), 3.Joevin Jones, 9.Kenwyne Jones (capt) (20.Trevin Caesar 85th).

Unused substitutes: 21.Adrian Foncette (GK), 22.Gregory Ranjitsingh (GK), 2.Aubrey David, 6.Radanfah Abu Bakr, 7.Hughtun Hector, 11.Shahdon Winchester, 15.Neveal Hackshaw, 18.Yohance Marshall, 23.Jomal Williams.

Coach: Stephen Hart.

Guatemala: 12.Paula Motta; 3.Christian Jimenez (Red 84), 4.Hamilton Lopez (Yellow 89), 5.Jefrey Payeras, 14.Rafael Morales (Yellow 73) (11.Victor Matta 81st); 22.Rodrigo Saravia, 8.Jean Marquez, 16.Marco Papa, 10.Jose Contreras (19.Jose Rosales 80th), 20.Carlos Ruiz (capt), 9.Gerson Tinoco (18.Mario Castellanos 76th).

Unused substitutes: 1.Ricardo Jerez (GK), 21.Jose Garcia (GK), 2.Wilson Lalin, 6.Carlos Mejia, 7.Jairo Arreola, 13.Eddy Aragon, 15.Luis Cardona, 17.Edi Guerra, 23.Jorge Aparicio.

Coach: Walter Claveri.

Referee: John Pitti (Panama).

Venue: Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Trinidad & Tobago's Joevin Jones (red jersey) scored two goals in a World Cup Qualifying draw with visiting Guatemala on September 2, 2016, in Port of Spain. (Photo: Caribbean Action Images)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 02:06:21 AM by Flex »

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T earns CONCACAF Hexagonal berth.
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2016, 05:35:07 AM »
Because of our Keeper's half hearted attempt to get to that cross which never looked as a threat everyone left it for Ruiz,I haven't seen the second goal but I read it was the keeper's fault.The keeper made an attempt to get the grounded cross but pulled back,dear oh dear,we like to give away things.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2016, 06:22:16 AM »
Marvin Phillip - 8, put dong some big saves, but he does catch he ass with crosses and he lil hesitant at times, but he did save we ass though. He need to talk to he defence more to.

Daneil Cyrus - 6, made some silly mistakes, but going forward he look decent, had a nice assist, dont trust him in de back though. Cant understand why Hart like this fella so much to start him infront of David in a important game.

Sheldon Bateau - 9, Big f00cking player.

Carlyle Mitchell - 7, handle he self decent.

Mekeil Williams - 7, decent, but he shoulda stop that man who cross led to Guatemala first goal.

Andre Boucaud - 6, had a decent game but coulda do more going forward. Still we best short range passer of de ball.

Khaleem Hyland - 7.5, played hard.

Cordell Cato - 6, love this fella but ah feel he coulda do more going forward.

Kevin Molino - 4, did nothing much, ah surprise Hart took so long to sub him.

Joevin Jones - 9.5, big f00cking player. He second goal was like a Dwarika type goal vs USA in de gold cup. Joevin does day dream sometimes doh and he does forget to help defend from de midfield, and he James Brown hairstyle making him look like kum kum from Barrackpore.

Kenwyne Jones - 6, played like de ole KJ at times, but he presence is needed.

Big up to Hartie, he need to wok on that defence though, because we allow two soft goals and we catching we ass to deal with tickie tackie passing football, especially dong de center.

We team fell asleep to fast in de game and allow Guatemala to come back into it, if we did score first we mighta lose de game because we cant protect a lead for shit and we play badly at home.

We does also play to careful and dont kill off teams when we have de chance, T&T dont make me feel comfortable doh matter who they playing.

We in big problems if we relying on Caesar to score goals for we.

We midfield was not functioning to good and it allow we defence to be under real pressure.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 09:15:19 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2016, 06:29:15 AM »
Because of our Keeper's half hearted attempt to get to that cross which never looked as a threat everyone left it for Ruiz,I haven't seen the second goal but I read it was the keeper's fault.The keeper made an attempt to get the grounded cross but pulled back,dear oh dear,we like to give away things.

Frico, that keeper save our arse last night! I know allyuh ready to dump him but we were good for about 4. Yes the first goal was his fault, but it a defensive lapse, starting in the mid-field that allowed the pass to set up the goal. Despite JJ moments of brilliant, he and rest of midfielders made Ruiz look like a general. Hart have to figure out why our mid-field are so disjointed. Sorry, that is how I see it.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2016, 06:38:25 AM »
Deeks I suppose we gotta show some gratitude to our keeper but,I didn't mean to discredit him at all. 

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2016, 07:01:18 AM »
That's what happens when you put a bunch of players together who haven't played with each other in 6 months. If we got the Copa games, this would have been an easier game for us.

The Guatemalans played about 3 games together since March. In fact they played Panama about 2 weeks ago, so they were much more prepared for this game than we were. They did their homework as well, and it showed. Ruiz was certainly man of the match. His experience and leadership made it difficult for us to get comfortable. Guatemala is a good team. Definitely a formidable opponent.

I've been reading some articles and comments in the Guatemalan  media.. They are saying that 2016 is another year to add to the mis fortunes of 2005 and 2008. We have become a huge stumbling block towards their world cup qualifying attempts. That result last night is bound to leave an indelible imprint on the minds of the Guatemalan football ethos.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T earns CONCACAF Hexagonal berth
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2016, 08:09:34 AM »
First up thank you coach hart for your hard work and dedication. Boss coach.
Now on to the game. Is it just me or was Jovin jones way off side on that first goal?

And I never want to see caryle Mitchell starting over a healthy Abu bakar again, he is a poor reader of the game and make too many silly errors in the defensive third. Cordell Cato is another liability, this bloke loses the ball more than any other winger on the team, and he frequently makes very poor decisions and squander many scoring opportunities especially where a simple pass is all that's needed for a clear goal scoring opportunity.

He has a very bad habit of running down the flank like a crazy horse right in the middle of a huddle of opposing players creating turn over after turn over and this is unacceptable. We have the best header of the ball in concacaf yet there are so very few crosses from Cato to jones, how is that possible?

Last but not least, mr Daniel Cyrus. I can't believe the coach started him in this crucial game over david. this is another poor reader of the game and gives the ball away way too much with his erratic Hail Mary passes. On the second goal it was his poor marking of Ruiz that lead to the second goal. In my opinion these three guys should never start alongside each other again.

every thing else was a good effort and I applaud the team. Well done guys.  Now on to the next hurdle.  Good luck coach.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:11:55 AM by pull stones »

Offline Trin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2016, 08:12:52 AM »
As others have said the sign of a good team is getting the result even when they don't play well. We had an off game. You could see the first half especially we were rusty. Much  better second half. Cato needs to look up when running at ppl. There were a few times he could have played men in to score.

I agree Cyrus was a liability. Thought Mitchell had a solid game.

Honestly the midfield played out as expected as Guatemala overloaded the middle and gave up the wings. This meant we needed better service from the wings which was why I was frustrated with Cato....
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:18:04 AM by Trin »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2016, 08:25:37 AM »
As others have said the sign of a good team is getting the result even when they don't play well. We had an off game. You could see the first half especially we were rusty. Much  better second half. Cato needs to look up when running at ppl. There were a few times he could have played men in to score.

Honestly the midfield played out as expected as Guatemala overloaded the middle and gave up the wings. This meant we needed better service from the wings which was why I was frustrated with Cato....

Cyrus should be a back up winger or even a starting one if d regular righty out, but nah he not no fullback
his assist on joevin first goal was nice though
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:27:38 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2016, 08:28:18 AM »

Cyrus should be a back up winger or even a starting one if d regular righty out, but nah he not no fullback
the problem with that notion is that cyrus is a poor dribbler of the ball, the main ingredient needed to be an efficient winger.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:30:46 AM by pull stones »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2016, 08:40:01 AM »

the problem with that notion is that cyrus is a poor dribbler of the ball, the main ingredient needed to be an efficient winger.
thats why I said back up....his pace and ok passing can more than compensate if work on his positioning....if yuh position yuhself to simple blow past defenders or run into gaps then dribbling becomes less of an issue...especially if he can release d ball early like yesterday......remember Abu bakr slow, but has good positioning reads the game well. is about figuring out yuh strengths and finding ah way to use them.
I pity the fool....

1]; } ?>