March 28, 2024, 02:44:24 PM

Author Topic: 2016/17 Hexagonal Series Thread.  (Read 11614 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T earns CONCACAF Hexagonal berth.
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2016, 09:18:15 AM »
WATCH: Post-match press conference with Head Coach Stephen Hart
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Nl7Nev8_TgM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Nl7Nev8_TgM</a>

WATCH: Comments from midfielder Levi Garcia
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/975JQQQpEDY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/975JQQQpEDY</a>

WATCH: Comments from midfielder Andre Boucaud
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6xH5Npx5tVk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6xH5Npx5tVk</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2016, 09:20:05 AM »

^^ Listen to what Hart saying, we failed to take opportunities and disappointed Guatemala was allowed to get back in the game.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2016, 10:34:22 AM »
Everything Hart said, except KJ has to score(if once), whenever they ease up on him. He almost did, and really tried, but I felt he reacted, rather than prepared mentally for that one time. I'm certain doh, he does the job and will make it happen. This will then cause the opposition to spend even more time, bustin his rass, making our hungry youths even more dangerous. It coming KJ. U have to be like Ruiz, punish them when yuh ketch them slipping by yuh.  :cheers:

Offline christiano

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2016, 10:35:52 AM »
Remember Decades ago when we topped the group and ended up last in the Hex ? That was when changes were made with the staff and it upset the coaching team and players ...

We must guard against that ....

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2016, 12:14:53 PM »
Hart said everything I am saying, the game was a disappointment despite the success of reaching the final stage.

We have to give credit to earlier games in the campaign for gaining the points necessary to reach the hex.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2016, 03:14:45 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dTS_tgPoD0I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dTS_tgPoD0I</a>
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2016/17 Hexagonal Series Thread.
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2016, 03:21:27 PM »
If at the start of the semi-final round you had asked which teams would get tot he HEX, I wlda say:
Mex, USA, CR, Honduras, Trinidad, and Panama (with Jamaica an outside shot of displacing Panama).

I think the best 6 teams are in this final group. And that's good for the region.

It will be a dogfight, as it always is, but teams are getting better.

Since I know myself we fighting up with this Guatemala. Jamerson to Jones, we always seem to have their number. They must really hate us.

Reaching the HEX is an achievement, considering we didn't make the semi-final round for 2014 when Guyana beat us.

35 countries, final 6, I taking that and proud of the Warriors.

Now onto trying to make something special happen..

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2016, 10:56:57 PM »
Time to improve the quality of the pressers. Start by gehhin a mic on the media asking the questions. This should be a fundamental goal for the Hex home games.   

EDIT: Would not hurt to have the media personnel identify who they are and who they represent.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 09:01:16 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2016, 07:24:28 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qOMFlQdYzbc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qOMFlQdYzbc</a>

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2016, 11:04:46 AM »
It gives me great happiness to work out these tentative Hexagonal schedules below....

If we lose to the USA and finish second in Group C,

Team 1: C1 (United States)
Team 2: B2 (Panama)
Team 3: A2 (Honduras)
Team 4: B1 (Costa Rica,)
Team 5: A1 (Mexico)
Team 6: C2 (Trinidad and Tobago,)

Matchday 1: November 2016
TT vs. costa Rica

Matchday 2: November 2016
Honduras vs TT

Matchday 3: March 2017
TT vs PAN,

Matchday 4: March 2017
TT  vs. Mexico

Matchday 5: June 2017
USA vs TT,

Matchday 6: June 2017
Costa Rica vs TT

Matchday 7: August 2017
TT vs Honduras

Matchday 8: September 2017
Panama vs TT,

Matchday 9: October 2017
Mexico vs. TT

Matchday 10: October 2017
TT vs USA,

……………………

If we avoid defeat vs the USA and win group C,

Team 1: C1 (Trinidad and Tobago)
Team 6: C2 (USA)

TT vs Mexico

Costa Rica vs TT

TT vs Honduras

Panama vs TT

TT vs USA

Mexico vs TT

TT vs Costa Rica

Honduras vs TT

TT vs Panama

USA vs TT

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2016, 03:38:49 PM »
It gives me great happiness to work out these tentative Hexagonal schedules below....

If we lose to the USA and finish second in Group C,

Team 1: C1 (United States)
Team 6: C2 (Trinidad and Tobago,)

TT vs. costa Rica

Honduras vs TT

TT vs PAN,

TT  vs. Mexico

USA vs TT,

Costa Rica vs TT

TT vs Honduras

Panama vs TT,

Mexico vs. TT

TT vs USA,

……………………

If we avoid defeat vs the USA and win group C,

Team 1: C1 (Trinidad and Tobago)
Team 6: C2 (USA)

TT vs Mexico

Costa Rica vs TT

TT vs Honduras

Panama vs TT

TT vs USA

Mexico vs TT

TT vs Costa Rica

Honduras vs TT

TT vs Panama

USA vs TT

Does this mean we play our first Hex match at home whether we lose, draw or win against USA on Tuesday?
Are you absolutely sure that whatever the outcome on Tuesday we will play our first Hex game at home?  :thinking:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 12:08:16 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2016, 07:30:17 PM »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2016, 12:18:12 AM »
Socapro he's right according to this.

http://mobile.concacaf.com/article/official-draw-confirms-positions-and-match-ups-for-the-final-round-of-concacaf-qualifying-for-fifa-world-cup-russia-2018

Ok cool.

So other than bragging rights and keeping positive momentum there are no extra benefits from us beating the USA on Tuesday.

We start our first Hex game at home regardless of outcome of game on Tuesday.

Interesting!

The T&T public better learn between now and the start of the Hex how to be an effective 12th man to help give their team a home game advantage. Currently T&T seems to be the only team in CONCACAF who's fans don't help to give their team a home advantage and most of the time we seem to play better away from home. Lets hope this changes during our WC qualification campaign from the Hex.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 12:22:29 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2016, 06:34:05 AM »
Socapro he's right according to this.

http://mobile.concacaf.com/article/official-draw-confirms-positions-and-match-ups-for-the-final-round-of-concacaf-qualifying-for-fifa-world-cup-russia-2018

Ok cool.

So other than bragging rights and keeping positive momentum there are no extra benefits from us beating the USA on Tuesday.

We start our first Hex game at home regardless of outcome of game on Tuesday.

Interesting!

The T&T public better learn between now and the start of the Hex how to be an effective 12th man to help give their team a home game advantage. Currently T&T seems to be the only team in CONCACAF who's fans don't help to give their team a home advantage and most of the time we seem to play better away from home. Lets hope this changes during our WC qualification campaign from the Hex.

I think the public response has been good. The skipper literally called out the public on radio saying "The cost of a ticket is less than a boat ride", the stadium was about 90% full on Friday and even the Vincy and US games were about 80-85% full and it was more noisy than usual. There was the obligatory Mexican wave in effect.

Soca Warriors represents something positive in a T&T society that is desperately looking to hold on to something uplifting amidst the many negatives plaguing the national psyche.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2016, 06:51:09 AM »
What are the thoughts on having 1 Hex game in Tobago? I not sure what the current state of the DY stadium is but I remember we played Costa Rica in a qualifier there. It was well attended. Would it be an advantage or disadvantage?

1 out of 5 in Tobago?

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2016, 10:11:44 AM »
Both scenarios have us playing USA last but if we come 2nd in group C we play them at home, while 1st place sees us playing them in the US.
Hmm I think I rather end the round at home in a noisy hasely crawford.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2016, 10:22:27 AM »
ok people the last three games we played at home, I repeat last three games we played at home have had great turn outs from the public. More than 80% of the HCS full! So no need to worry about T&T coming out to support our team.

Offline Adam Lake

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2016, 11:34:09 AM »
ok people the last three games we played at home, I repeat last three games we played at home have had great turn outs from the public. More than 80% of the HCS full! So no need to worry about T&T coming out to support our team.

Agreed, we have the public support...

But my Issue is not with the numbers, is what we do when we inside the stadium that counts.... We need to be more bacchanalish, gimme a chance and I woulda remove every blasted seat in UC and make people stand up whole game... More Vibes Needed!

Also the TTFA or Vendors better sort out the liquor license in time for Hex and not have a repeat repeat of the madness on Friday. Cuz the more man drink the more noise they make!  ;D :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 11:37:36 AM by Adam Lake »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2016, 06:36:59 PM »

Agreed, we have the public support...

But my Issue is not with the numbers, is what we do when we inside the stadium that counts.... We need to be more bacchanalish, gimme a chance and I woulda remove every blasted seat in UC and make people stand up whole game... More Vibes Needed!

Also the TTFA or Vendors better sort out the liquor license in time for Hex and not have a repeat repeat of the madness on Friday. Cuz the more man drink the more noise they make!  ;D :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Years now people have been saying this eh. We as fans are not loud enough and not vocal enough in our stadium. We can be a stronger 12th man for our team

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Russia—here come the Soca Warriors
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2016, 06:59:59 AM »
Russia—here come the Soca Warriors
By Andre Baptiste (T&T Guardian)

T&T’s Soca Warriors have their destiny in their own hands, or should we say in their boots in the coming 12 months.

After a draw with Guatemala and a loss to the USA, the schedule of matches ahead from November 11, 2016 to October 10, 2017 for the Warriors is fixed.

There are some interesting permutations, the most noteworthy being the fact that three of our first four matches are at home. This means that the Hasely Crawford Stadium must become a fortress from this moment, where our players will need the assistance of 25,000 fans to make it as uncomfortable as possible for our opponents, and inspire them to the World Cup for the second time this century.

If we can capture at least seven (7) points from these three encounters, it will be a wonderful kick start to the campaign.

Our first match is against 2014 World Cup quarterfinalists Costa Rica on Friday, November 11, and we must be at our best in all areas to stand any chance of winning that encounter and capturing all three points.

Costa Rica qualified very early but looked vulnerable when they played away to Caribbean neighbours Jamaica. This suggests their unfamiliarity with the conditions, the surface and the type of aggressive football which the Reggae Boys played.

This is something which coach Stephen Hart must take note of and capitilise on. With a full stadium and an aggressive T&T Warriors, I feel certain we can kick start the campiagn with three points.

Our next match is away to Honduras four days later on November 15 (a good sign as this is the date 11 years ago when Dennis Lawrence headed the winner for T&T in Bahrain to put the Warriors on a flight to the World Cup finals in Germany 2006).  This is going to be a difficult encounter as Honduras has always proven to be a difficult venue for T&T to get a result. The Honduras authorities ensure that not only the away team, but the away fans and away media suffer in everything before a match. It is an area that our Football Association must  be ready for and make the necessary arrangements to overcome as early as possible. If we can leave Honduras with a point, this will inject positive vibes and leave the Warriors upbeat for the rest of the campaign.

The Soca Warriors will next host Panama on March 24, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, and given our history with this team, we have to ensure that we use the home support and surface to its full potential and put Panama on the back foot.

Their football has improved significantly and they will be ready for a battle but there must be a definite plan and objective to ensure that the Warriors break their rhythm.

Again home support is crucial. We should have a capacity crowd at the Stadium to throw behind the Warriors. Red and Ready.

Four days later, on March 28, our opponents will be familiar foes and perhaps the powerhouse team,  Mexico, who in recent matches have struggled to defeat T&T, with meetings ending in entertaining draws.

This will be another crucial match for both teams and we should have a good idea of how each team in the hex has been performing by this time since points on the table will be known.

But we have beaten the Mexicans at this venue before and there is no doubt that we have the quality of players to match them on this occasion.

If we are to reach Russia, beating Mexico will have to be on the cards as this could give the world an indication of our worth as it relates to the world stage.

By the end of our first four matches, anything less than eight points will not be good. Nine or ten points must be our minimum target at this stage. If we do better than that and earn 11 or 12 points, that will be super.

But we will be in a definite position, whatever points we have, to guage whether or not this team will be on the flight to Russia.

We are aiming for a top three out of the six teams that will gain us automatic qualification for Russia 2018.

Fourth?

We will be back in familiar territory ala Bahrain 2005.

Fifth and sixth. We just were not good enough.

Which will it be?

The optimist in me says Russia here we come. One, two or three.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2016, 03:48:39 PM »
Pulisic can provide U.S. X-Factor in World Cup qualifying Hexagonal
BY JEFF CARLISLE (ESPN Soccernet).

World Cup qualifying began in CONCACAF 17 months ago when the U.S. Virgin Islands defeated Barbados 1-0. Four rounds and 81 games later, 29 teams have been eliminated, leaving six countries to contest the final round.

The format of the Hexagonal is forgiving to say the least. (Find the full Hex schedule here.) The top three finishers qualify automatically for Russia 2018 while the fourth-place team will take on the fifth-place side from the Asia Football Confederation in a playoff to help fill out the tournament's qualifiers. Yet even for regional powers like Mexico and the U.S., there are bound to be more than a few detours along the way and devastation for those who miss out.

With that in mind, here's a brief rundown of the countries that have made it this far.

U.S.

The U.S. has recovered well from the disappointment that was the 2015 Gold Cup, when it was bounced by Jamaica in the semifinals, and with the help of a semifinal appearance at the Copa America, Jurgen Klinsmann's side appears to be gelling at the right time. The defense, led by Geoff Cameron and John Brooks, looks solid. The midfield balance, with Michael Bradley now in a holding role, has improved. And in Christian Pulisic, the U.S. has an up-and-coming player who could be a mainstay for years to come. About the only concern for coach Klinsmann is the health of some key performers like Clint Dempsey and Jermaine Jones, but so far, the U.S. has weathered those absences.

Key player: Jozy Altidore

It's easy to forget that Altidore's goals propelled the U.S. through qualification for the 2014 World Cup, and he could do so again now that his hamstring injuries appear to be a thing of the past. His ability to play with his back to goal makes him a big part of the U.S. attack.

X-Factor: Christian Pulisic

Pulisic's creativity and vision give the U.S. the kind of attacking weapon it has lacked in recent years, and while he is just 17, he already looks like a veteran out there.

Mexico

Turmoil always seems to find El Tri, and heading into the Hex, little has changed. Manager Juan Carlos Osorio has lost just once in his 13 games in charge, and the team cruised through the semifinal round of qualifying. But the lone defeat was a whopper, a 7-0 hammering at the hands of Chile in the quarterfinals of Copa America. Combined with the aforementioned draw against Honduras, Osorio finds himself in a vulnerable position. Mexico is still as talented a team as there is in the Hex, but facing -- and handling -- external pressures remains its biggest challenge.

Key player: Hector Herrera

The Porto captain was among those responsible for the disaster against Chile at the Copa and it's imperative that he shakes off that disappointment. His two-way presence in midfield makes him a vital piece for Osorio and El Tri.

X-Factor: Rafa Marquez

El Tri just can't quit Rafa. While Marquez has lost a step, his leadership remains invaluable, and no other El Tri player can organize the team's defense like he can. The question is, can he hold up physically?

Costa Rica

Recapturing the form that took the Ticos to the quarterfinals of the 2014 World Cup hasn't been easy, especially after manager Jose Luis Pinto resigned and took up the reins for Honduras. Paulo Wanchope was forced to step down after being involved in a scuffle with a match steward during a U23 game against Panama. But Oscar Ramirez has provided some stability -- a group stage exit at the Copa America Centenario notwithstanding -- and Costa Rica went on to take 16 out of a possible 18 points in the semifinal round. The Estadio Nacional remains a formidable venue, with the Ticos having lost just one World Cup qualifier (against Mexico) since it opened in 2011.

Key player: Celso Borges

Bryan Ruiz may get many of the accolades, but Borges is still the hub through which much of the Costa Rica attack runs. He puts in plenty of work on the defensive side of the ball as well, and at 28, the Deportivo La Coruna man is at operating at his peak.

X-Factor: Joel Campbell

The perpetually on-loan Arsenal striker remains a critical piece of the Ticos' success due to his mobility, power and finishing. Campbell has been sent to Portuguese side Sporting CP this season and Ramirez's hope is that a steady dose of playing time there will keep the forward sharp.

Honduras

After leading Costa Rica to World Cup success in 2014, Jorge Luis Pinto has replicated his approach with Los Catrachos, forging a team that is disciplined defensively and quick on the break. The transition to Pinto's style has had its ups and downs, however. Honduras endured a dreadful 2015 Gold Cup, a showing that saw it fail to qualify for the Copa America Centenario. But Honduras recorded a rugged 0-0 draw against Mexico in the Estadio Azteca on Tuesday night to secure passage into the Hex. A new crop of attacking players is also emerging and Honduras' run to the semifinals of the Olympic soccer tournament could be a harbinger of things to come.

Key player: Maynor Figueroa

Pinto's emphasis on defensive organization requires experienced heads at the back and Figueroa fits the bill, with over 130 caps for the national team. The FC Dallas defender has been a constant presence for Pinto even as the manager has switched between four and five-defender alignments.

X-Factor: Alberth Elis

U.S. fans will recall that it was Elis' two goals that helped eliminate the U.S. from Olympic qualifying, and the Monterrey attacker now represents part of the next wave of Honduran players. In a team that might find goals hard to come by, Elis will need to deliver.

Panama

After letting a playoff spot slip through their fingers on the last day of qualifying for the 2014 World Cup, the Canaleros are determined to move on from that heartbreak. In Hernan Dario Gomez, Panama has an experienced manager at the helm, one who led it to a third-place finish at the 2015 Gold Cup. While Panama was dealt some harsh lessons at the Copa, it navigated a tricky qualifying group, dispatching Jamaica along the way.

Key player: Gabriel Gomez

Gomez's experience and physicality make him a mainstay in the Panamanian midfield. He's also a favorite of Hernan Dario Gomez, who spoke recently of how indispensable the 32-year-old is to this team.

X-Factor: Roman Torres

The Seattle Sounders defender missed all of the semifinal round of qualifying due to a torn ACL, but Torres has been cleared to return to his club, and his play alongside captain Felipe Baloy could help a solidify a Panama defense that will need to be at its best in order for Los Canaleros to qualify.

Trinidad & Tobago

After failing in the preliminary round during qualification for the 2014 World Cup, the Soca Warriors have bounced back nicely under manager Stephen Hart. T&T has shown it is more than willing to play the region's powerhouses straight up, and they have given Mexico a hard time in particular. At the moment, T&T is a team that looks suspect in the back, a concern for Hart as he prepares for the Hex.

Key player: Kenwyne Jones

T&T is going to need to score goals, lots of them, in order to qualify, and Jones -- recently signed by new MLS side Atlanta United -- remains one of the more lethal strikers in the region.

X-Factor: Levi Garcia

T&T seems to have no shortage of pacy players capable of getting into the attack, but they have high hopes for the 18-year-old, who currently plays for Dutch side AZ. Garcia could provide a valuable additional scoring option to the likes of Kenwyne Jones, Joevin Jones and Kevin Molino.

Five key games

1. U.S. vs. Mexico, Nov. 11, 2016

The first day of the Hexagonal is witness to a titanic clash between the region's two heavyweights in a venue -- Crew Stadium -- where the U.S. has historically fared well. The game starts a brutal stretch for El Tri that sees it play three of its first four on the road.

2. Costa Rica vs. U.S., Nov. 15, 2016

For all that's been written about the U.S. team's struggles in Mexico, Costa Rica has proved to be a brutal trip. The U.S. is 0-8-2 all-time in Costa Rica.

3. Mexico vs. Honduras, June 9, 2017

During the 2014 World Cup cycle, Honduras handed El Tri just its second World Cup qualifying defeat at home in 78 games. After recently tying Mexico at the famed venue, Honduras will be a difficult opponent indeed for El Tri.

4. Honduras vs. Costa Rica, March 28, 2017

Honduras and Costa Rica have often proved themselves to be the equal of Mexico and the U.S., but if the form book holds, they will likely be battling for the third and final automatic qualifying spot. That makes this encounter critical for both teams.

5. Panama vs. Costa Rica, Oct. 10, 2017

A defeat to the U.S. on the last day of 2014 qualifying dealt Panama's World Cup hopes a fatal blow. Panama will face the Ticos on the last day of qualifying and will hope to banish that memory once and for all.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Online soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
We're in 5th place after 2 games

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2016, 10:32:13 PM »
We're in 5th place after 2 games

We moving in the right direction. We where last after 1 game.

Online soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2016, 10:12:57 PM »
Updated SPI World Cup projections:

99% Mexico
93% Costa Rica
60% United States
52% Panama
29% Honduras
6% T&T

— Paul Carr (@PCarrESPN) November 16, 2016

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Hex is broken. For a fix, CONCACAF should look to UEFA
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2016, 06:07:44 AM »
The Hex is broken. For a fix, CONCACAF should look to UEFA
By Terrance F. Ross (theguardian.com)

Two games into the Hexagonal and USA are rooted to the bottom of the table. The 1-2 loss to Mexico and the 0-4 drubbing away to Costa Rica has left US soccer in need of some serious soul-searching, and Jürgen Klinsmann has again found himself on the chopping block.

Yet despite their poor start, USA are still odds-on to make it to the 2018 World Cup – an indictment on a qualification system that is not only outdated, but serves the confederation’s big teams in a disproportionate way.

Consider this: we’re 570 days away from the opening match in Russia, and 82% of Concacaf’s teams have already been eliminated. It’s a point not lost on Victor Montagliani, the confederation’s president, who derided the qualifying system earlier this year. “Something needs to change because you can’t have 85% of your members who are on the outside looking in two years before the World Cup,” Montagliani said.

The first seven Concacaf teams were eliminated in March 2015. And while the likes of the Cayman Islands, Montserrat and the US Virgin Islands are unlikely to become world-beaters anytime soon, the winner-take-all early rounds of qualifying, where a four-year project can come down to a home and away tie three years before the actual competition, is more than a tad harsh.

The plight of the minnows is probably not even the worst of it. Those most affected are the teams just outside the Hex, the ones on the cusp that would certainly benefit from a more inclusive system. The likes of Canada, Haiti, Jamaica and Guatemala – teams that can be formidable on their day. These teams were all eliminated this past summer after the second phase of qualifying. What are they supposed to do now?

Concacaf in its current form has become a top-heavy feedback loop. Yes, the likes of the US, Mexico and Costa Rica deserve their positions at the top of the region but the system – which explicitly states on its site that it aims to: “Develop, promote and manage football throughout the region with integrity, transparency, and passion in order to inspire participation in the game” – isn’t doing that.

In its current iteration, the perennial Hex teams – only 10 teams have qualified for this final stage since 1998 – reap the rewards both on and off the field. Everything is concentrated at the top. The minnows of the federation are forced to scrap in the prelim stages with a sliver of hope that they would get any further.

Here’s how the loop functions: the extra competitive matches mean the Hex’s six teams are likely to get a favorable seeding when qualifying starts again two years later. For the Cayman Islands or Suriname, for example, it would take a few World Cup cycles of consistent success and a healthy dose of luck to get a decent enough seeding to avoid being knocked out a full three years ahead. “Caribbean countries have problems climbing the Fifa rankings, just because we are not able to play as many international games as you want to,” Suriname soccer president John Krishnadath told the Associated Press.

For an real-world example of how this could work, look at Uefa. Their expanded qualifying system has been viewed as a resounding success. The likes of Albania, Wales and Iceland benefited from an expanded system that allowed them to play against tougher competition consistently. Wales and Northern Ireland finished second-bottom of their 2014 qualifying groups, yet bounced back with impressive runs in the European Championships this year.

And Iceland, a nation of only 325,000 people that has climbed over 100 spots in the Fifa ranking in three years. Iceland, of course, invested heavily in their domestic football, but without the prospect of consistent competition they would have stagnated.

Solely based on population size alone – for comparison, Trinidad & Tobago has 1.3 million people – Iceland has no business appearing at major tournaments, far less doing well. But Europe’s approach to qualifying means that every two years major stars head to Reykjavík, drawing attention and sponsorship dollars. Over time, it all adds up.

This six-team system in Concacafalso encourages complacency: with 3.5 spots available, there isn’t a final round in qualifying that offers such fantastic odds for success. Despite the USA’s horrendous start, it would be a shock if they didn’t qualify. Look no further than Mexico’s performance in the last cycle – winning just two of 10 matches in the Hex was enough for El Tri to secure a playoff spot and a berth in the final tournament.

One possible proposal would be to extend the hexagonal to an octagonal: the top teams would still make the final round, but we’d see more turnover in those 6-8 positions, where teams can truly begin to make the leap. From a logistical standpoint, having more teams involved at the final stage means more teams gaining ranking points in competitive fixtures later in the cycle as well.

Having three groups of six as the final round could work, with the winner of each group and the best third place finisher going to a playoff. In this scenario we do lose the big top-heavy fixtures as the likes of USA, Mexico and Costa Rica are likely to be separated, but over time the teams outside of the top handful are going to get stronger and present a tougher challenge.

Another solution would be to allow the elites the prospect of increased competition without compromising things for the other teams. Concacaf and Conmebol have been flirting with each other for years and the rousing success of the Copa America Centenario could be a proxy for more things to come. A full merger would likely be far too complicated, but a partial merger could offer some interesting solutions.

How about Mexico, USA and Costa Rica moving to Conmebol? In this scenario, two qualification spots could move there, to make 6.5 spots for 13 teams. Concacaf would still retain 1.5 spots, but it would result in far more parity, and upward mobility for the smaller nations (and more meaningful games).

But Concacaf should live up to its credo, not cut and run. In addition, without Mexico and USA, Concacaf would become an afterthought at a time where the region has made massive strides on the world stage, considering their success at the 2014 World Cup.

A few days ago Thomas Müller came under fire for his comments after Germany’s 8-0 win over San Marino. The Bayern Munich star said that “matches like the one against San Marino have nothing to do with professional football.” The backlash was swift and Muller was given a full dressing down—and a 10-point manifesto to boot – by San Marino press officer, Alan Gasperoni.

Point six in his Müller manifesto: “It was helpful to your federation (and to ours too) to earn image rights money with which they, in addition to pay you for the trouble, can build structure for the kids in your country, football academies, safer stadiums. Our federation will build a new field in an isolated little town called Acquaviva. You could have built it with six months of your salary; we will with the money from a 90-minute-match. Not bad, is it?”

Concacaf doesn’t have to go all-in on either approach, but by deciding which side they want to be on, they could make the system fairer, and better, for everyone involved.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2016, 06:47:14 AM »
I like the 2 groups of 6 which will be 12 teams. 3 groups of 6 may be too diluted in terms of quality.

Top team from each group automatically qualify
Second team from each group enter playoff
Winner of playoff automatically qualify
Loser enters playoff for the .5 spot.

That will allow for the top 12 teams to be alive through till end of qualifying.
Possible pool

1. Mexico
2. Costa Rica
3. USA
4. Honduras
5. Panama
6. T&T
7. Guatemala
8. Jamaica
9. Haiti
10. Canada
11 and 12. St Vincent/St Kitts/Antigua/Cuba/Barbados/Grenada/Guyana/El Salvador

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2016, 12:18:11 PM »
WATCH: Stern John discusses World Cup Qualification and more!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ifPYnKZ_UU0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ifPYnKZ_UU0</a>

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2016, 03:20:09 PM »
I like the 2 groups of 6 which will be 12 teams. 3 groups of 6 may be too diluted in terms of quality.

That will allow for the top 12 teams to be alive through till end of qualifying.
Possible pool

1. Mexico
2. Costa Rica
3. USA
4. Honduras
5. Panama
6. T&T
7. Guatemala
8. Jamaica
9. Haiti
10. Canada

El Salvador doesn't belong in that group. They are Guatemala level.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2016, 03:30:35 PM »

Possible pool

1. Mexico
2. Costa Rica
3. USA
4. Honduras
5. Panama
6. T&T
7. Guatemala
8. Jamaica
9. Haiti
10. Canada

El Salvador doesn't belong in that group. They are Guatemala level.

Same with Barbados. They more in the Dominica, DR, St Lucia, Cayman Islands, USVI and Puerto Rico category.

1]; } ?>