April 26, 2024, 03:01:12 PM

Author Topic: Daren Ganga launches cricket coaching series  (Read 2126 times)

socafighter

Daren Ganga launches cricket coaching series
« on: July 24, 2014, 08:07:38 AM »
Daren Ganga launches cricket coaching series
By JOEL BAILEY Thursday, July 24 2014

DAREN GANGA, right, is all smiles as he is involved in a discussion with, from left-right, Brian Lara, Sports Minister Anil Roberts, Education Ministe...

EX- RED FORCE captain and West Indies opening batsman Daren Ganga launched the first volume of his cricket coaching DVD series yesterday.

Entitled “The Fundamentals” - one-on-one give instructions on the basics of the game as well as tips from the 35-year- old.

The event took place at the CL Financial Hospitality Suite, Queen’s Park Oval, St Clair, with a number of dignitaries in attendance, including Sports Minister Anil Roberts, Education Minister Dr Tim Gopeesingh, cricketing great Brian Lara, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board (TTCB) Suruj Ragoonath, and fellow past and present national players Dinanath Ramnarine (ex-WIPA president), Sherwin Ganga, Lincoln Roberts, Rajindra Dhanraj, Richard Kelly, Imran Jan and Samuel Badree.

Also in attendance were members of the Daren Ganga Foundation.

The coaching series is designed to take a cricketer/enthusiast, regardless of skill level, from the basics to the advanced level, with chapters on the pitch and equipment, officials, players and fielding positions, batting, bowling, fielding and wicket-keeping.

In each chapter, the concepts are explained and proper techniques and drills are demonstrated in an exciting, stimulating and easy-to-use format.

In addition, “The Fundamentals” feature stories and tips from Ganga’s former Windies teammates Sir Curtly Ambrose, Ian Bishop, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Ricardo Powell, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Sunil Narine, as well as WI women’s cricketers Anisa Mohammed and retired umpire Billy Doctrove.

At the launch, Ganga reflected, “as a young boy growing up in Barrackpore, cricket and football were a part of everyday life.

“My brothers, Sheldon, Sherwin and I would spend countless hours playing on the streets, in the yard and sometimes the neighbour’s yard, not to mention in school. And the Sunday cricket match, at the village ground, was a fixture for my family.”

After the trio started paying more attention to cricket, Ganga said, “we learnt from observing relatives. We also looked at players from the village and we would receive guidance from the schools’ coach (at Naparima College).

“That is how we got the start, that is how we learnt the game of cricket.”

He continued, “the problem is it is difficult to progress past a certain point in cricket without exposure to professional coaching for fine-tuning of technique, elevating performance and succeeding at the highest level.”

Ganga also touched on the role Lara played in his teenaged years, from his First Class debut in 1997 to his Test debut in South Africa a year later.

“He was my captain back then,” said Ganga. “I remember playing against Guyana here (at the Oval) in 1997 and then I got the opportunity to represent the West Indies team in South Africa in 1998.”

He continued, “a lot of the things that I’ve learnt as a player, in the formative years in my career, is because of Lara. The care, the comfort, the guidance, for that I’ll be very grateful.”

The former right-handed opening batsman made it clear that, “I wanted to take the opportunity to officially announce my departure from the game of cricket. But in doing so, I wanted to share my vision for the Cricket Coaching Series. That is to ensure that each and every young cricketer has a copy at no expense.”

socafighter

Re: Daren Ganga launches cricket coaching series
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 08:15:59 AM »
Daren Ganga launches DVD
Story Created: Jul 24, 2014 at 12:11 AM ECT
Express

“Perfect practice is what makes you perfect”. The quote of former American football player and coach Vince Lombardi was what master of ceremonies Vidia Ramphal used in his opening remarks at the launch of The Daren Ganga Cricket Coaching Series titled The Fundamentals at the CL Financial Hospitality Suite of the Queen’s Park Oval, Port of Spain, yesterday.

In delivering the feature address Ganga said the interactive coaching DVD was as a result of his personal conviction of helping others perform at the top of their game, adding, “It was at the heart of my captaincy at various levels and the basis of the work of the Daren Ganga Foundation.

“My personal dream has been to find a way to share all that I’ve learned over the years with young cricketers to help them understand the game and adopt the right techniques from the start.”
Ganga, who revealed that he did not have the benefit of proper coaching in his formative years, said there are still many cricketers who, for various reasons, do not have the opportunity or cannot take advantage of the opportunities for proper coaching.
“What I’m trying to do here is create one medium that incorporate all of the important elements using the various technologies that our young people would appreciate where the core tennets of the game from the ground with the basic, effective techniques are articulated to serve as a foundation for skill development.

Ganga said the DVD also includes an inspirational aspects where several of his esteemed colleagues such as Curtly Ambrose, Ian Bishop, Shiv Chanderpaul, Ricardo Powell, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Sunil Narine, West Indies and Trinidad and Tobago (T&T) female cricketer Anisa Mohammed and umpire Billy Doctrove share their own personal stories and give priceless tips and advice to young viewers who may never have the opportunity to meet them in person to seek out assistance.

The six-chapter DVD addresses the themes: The Pitch and Equipment; Officials, Players and Fielding Positions; Batting; Bowling; Fielding; and Wicket-keeping from chapter one to six, respectively.

Ganga said it is his vision that each and every young cricketer has a copy available to them at no expense. He called on Education Minister Dr Tim Gopeesingh and Anil Roberts, Minister of Sport, who were both present at the launch, to use their resources to ensure The Fundamentals becomes available to all primary and secondary schools.

He also used the opportunity to officially announce his retirement from the game and paid glowing tribute to specially invited guest former batting superstar Brian Lara, whom he described as his mentor having played for both the West Indies and T&T under his captaincy.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Daren Ganga launches cricket coaching series
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 02:10:44 PM »

For the past eight months, over 80 boys and girls from Phase 4 in Beetham Gardens participated in a football and coaching clinic hosted by the Daren Ganga Foundation, partnered with the Children's Ark and the Inter Agency Task Force. See Video https://www.facebook.com/csportslive/videos/1062372730481025/

1]; } ?>