April 27, 2024, 07:32:55 AM

Author Topic: Bertille St Clair Thread  (Read 22089 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Bertille St Clair Thread
« on: April 04, 2005, 05:08:10 AM »
Soca Warriors did not improve under St Clair.
By: Jovan Ravello - T&T Guardian.

“The writing was on the wall,” says former T&T senior football coach Edgar Vidale. He was asked his opinion about the sacking of coach Bertille St Clair last week.
Vidale noted that although there was a slight reversal of the team’s fortunes in St Clair’s last game in charge (T&T— Costa Rica 0-0 on Wednesday) the team had not improved during his (St Clair’s) tenure.
While the dismissal was not unexpected, Vidale took umbrage to the manner in which it was executed,  saying: “I don’t think it was in the best interest of Bertille St Clair.”
Though he recognised that St Clair’s fate had been decided before last Wednesday’s match at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Vidale called on the T&TFF to adopt a more humane approach to such matters in the future.
On new coach, Dutchman Leo Benhakkar, Vidale said his expertise should be able to assist T&T’s cause, but that our successful journey in the World Cup campaign hinges on what happens in the next two months.
During this period, says Vidale, it would be important for the coach to get a feel of the players and the culture, in order for him to properly cater to the team’s needs as a unit.
Vidale said the presence of Russell Latapy and David Nakhid as assistant coaches should link the coach to the players and prepare them both for greater responsibility in the team.
He stressed that it was important that both the former T&T captains quash whatever personal differences that may exist between them for the better of the team.
Ex-national football team captain Clayton Morris was also of the view that the team’s under-performance meant that there was something wrong with its technical direction and that the coach had to go.
Morris, a former assistant coach and coach of T&T’s Under-20 team, said that St Clair’s ouster may have been better for the welfare of the team had it been effected at a earlier time.
Morris said that the team appeared to be technically and tactically weak, so he was in agreement with the sacking of St Clair.
“The question is, do we have that amount of time?” Morris said, referring to the players’ ability to adapt to Benhakkar’s coaching.
Morris said he had doubts about the capacity of the team to get going again under the present conditions, but made a plea for foresight from the administration. “It is sad to see that at this point we have to make these drastic changes,” drawing parallel to a similar move by Costa Rica, but noting that the structure of the Ticos’ team is more concrete and can therefore weather the change.
He also said that the players are aware of the task ahead and should be committed to the cause, in order to play catch-up to the other teams that are better equipped and in better positions on the table.
Ex-national footballer Sedley Joseph said it was common practice to fire a coach when teams aren’t getting positive results, adding that St Clair is one of the many coaches that have been removed internationally.
He also thought that the team wasn’t playing as it should in the friendlies, Digicel Cup and World Cup qualifiers. Saying he does not know much about the new coach, he hopes that Beenhakkar, a reputed good tactician, will effect a turn-around.
But Joseph, recipient of FIFA’s Centennial Order of Merit in 2004, was skeptical about Benhakkar’s recent inactivity.
“Top coaches aren’t found hanging around.”
He said it would be difficult for Benhakkar, dealing with a first team comprised mainly of foreign-based players. Despite his skepticism Joseph said: “Hopefully we’ll get some good results in the games to come.”
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 05:23:16 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bertille St Clair Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 06:48:16 AM »
bertille interview
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_r-__yEaYqw&amp;list=UUYjTv-40_nhaU5HVy5er3Ug" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_r-__yEaYqw&amp;list=UUYjTv-40_nhaU5HVy5er3Ug</a>
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 07:03:36 AM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: Bertille St Clair's interview
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 09:00:58 AM »
laaaawwwwddd this too difficult to listen to because of the background noise......couldn't make it to the end......
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 05:41:25 AM »
St Clair impressed by Under-23s.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Former National coach Bertille St Clair believes this countrys football can escape from its current troubles and return to the glory days it experienced in the Caribbean and Concacaf particularly during his time at the helm.

As a matter of fact, the Tobago-born coach is offering his services to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation to assist in its development programme which is being orchestrated by Technical Director Anton Corneal.

St Clair was at the Dwight Yorke Stadium, Bacolet last Wednesday to witness the T&T Under 23s 1-0 victory over Finland and expressed some form of satisfaction over the teams progress.

I think they are growing and from what I am seeing this evening they have gained some confidence and I like their aggression and their touches has started to develop also, St Clair commented.

St Clair, a past T&T Olympic team head-coach with the likes of Carlos Edwards, Brent Sancho, Hector Sam, Brent Rahim, Jason Scotland, Kerwyn Jemmot, Jefferson George and Derek King in his team, wants to see more emphasis on development and is supporting Corneal in his efforts to do so.

St Clair led T&T to the 1991 FIFA World Youth Cup in Portugal and also led the team to its best ever finish, a semi-final spot at the 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup. He also coached the T&T team for part of the 2006 World Cup campaign prior to Leo Beenhakkers appointment.

He also led T&T to the 1997 and 1999 Caribbean Cup titles. Actually we cant go lower and right now its an opportunity  for us to start to develop again. Sometimes you are up sometimes you are down and its an opportunity to get better. But we have to put the right people in charge and the right things in place, he added.

On that note, he touched on Corneals appointment, saying: I hope he gets the support, Anton is a qualified coach and he is educated. He needs the support from everyone and I dont mind making a contribution. Im happy with the things I did in the past. Im happy for Anton and if he wants any support Im here to give it.

He spoke briefly on the 2006 World Cup team and some of the ingredients he thinks can help T&T achieve some form of success. The team (2006) was well balanced and we did well. Now I do things for Tobagos children and Trinidads children and I want to see our football develop to the highest level.

Actually Im playing my part through my coaching school. I had some offers to go to Grenada and St Kitts but I thought that I could do something for Trinidad and Tobago football. We have a lot of talented kids in Tobago and we need to get them exposed and the Football Federation needs to focus on that. Football is all about results also, St Clair added.

I remember when I spent some time at Bristol Rovers and Bobby Gould was the manager. He used to say there are three As in football. The first one is ability and we have that in our football. We need a little bit more of aggression and then theres attitude and thats how we build our character. Those are some of the things I would like us to work on to get back to the next level, St Clair said.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 05:44:01 AM »
Coach St Clair offers services to TTFF.
T&T Newsday Reports.

FORMER NATIONAL coach, Bertille St Clair is offering his services to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) to assist in the development of the sport.

St Clair, who coached Trinidad and Tobago to the 1991 FIFA World Youth Cup in Portugal, also lavished praise on new TTFF Technical Director Anton Corneal and endorsed his appointment.

I hope he gets the support, Anton is a qualified coach and he is educated. He needs the support from everyone and I dont mind making a contribution. Im happy with the things I did in the past. Im happy for Anton and if he wants any support Im here to give it, he said. Commenting on the current state of football in this country, the Tobagonian believes now is the ideal time to rebuild with the right people in charge.

Actually we cant go lower and right now its an opportunity for us to start to develop again. Sometimes you are up sometimes you are down and its an opportunity to get better. But we have to put the right people in charge and the right things in place, he added

St Clair, who was in the sister isle on Wednesday to see the national Under- 23 team edge Finland 1-0 at the Dwight Yorke Stadium, congratulated the Young Warriors on their performance.

I think they are growing and from what I am seeing...they have gained some confidence and I like their aggression and their touches has started to develop also, St Clair pointed out. The ex-TT coach was also in charge of an Olympic team which featured several players who went on to have top careers for the national team including Carlos Edwards, Brent Sancho, Hector Sam, Brent Rahim, Jason Scotland, Kerwyn Jemmot, Jefferson George and Derek King.

St Clair says the emphasis needs to be on developing young players if TT want to regain their prestige in the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) and ultimately CONCACAF.

Now I do things for Tobagos children and Trinidads children and I want to see our football develop to the highest level. Actually Im playing my part through my coaching school. I had some offers to go to Grenada and St Kitts but I thought that I could do something for Trinidad and Tobago football.

We have a lot of talented kids in Tobago and we need to get them exposed and the Football Federation needs to focus on that. Football is all about results also, he remarked. St Clair, who led this country to a semi-final spot at the 2000 Gold Cup - TTs best ever finish, identified three areas which he believe are the key ingredients in being successful in the sport.

I remember when I spent some time at Bristol Rovers and Bobby Gould was the manager. He used to say there are three As in football. The first one is ability and we have that in our football. We need a little bit more of aggression and then theres attitude and thats how we build our character. Those are some of the things I would like us to work on to get back to the next level, St Clair concluded.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 09:23:05 AM »

Thanks but no thanks.

Stay in Tobago please.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 12:51:41 PM »

Thanks but no thanks.

Stay in Tobago please.
     Sam regardless to how we feel about Bertille he is still one of the better Coaches in the Country,at least we need someone in Tobago with his expertise,we have always had good talent coming from Tobago because of him and at the moment we have none,TTFF does not only mean Trinidad lets get Tobago involved a little more.

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 06:45:48 PM »
Just for Tobago sake? He was a beneficiary of the 1990 campaign and he had a good team in the Gold Cup which made it in Germany in 2006 led by Latapy and Yorke so I am not sure what kind of development work he has one on his own! I remember him best for coaching a St Vincent team in the World Cup  and getting 13 goals from a CONCACAF team! I guess if he wants to help no one should be turned away because we cannot get worst than where we are! We should start having records of all the coaches in all National teams so we have a good background of track records ! Trinis have short memories and they jump from one thing to the next!
I think the most success he has had was with Signal Hill!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 07:03:04 PM »
Just for Tobago sake? He was a beneficiary of the 1990 campaign and he had a good team in the Gold Cup which made it in Germany in 2006 led by Latapy and Yorke so I am not sure what kind of development work he has one on his own! I remember him best for coaching a St Vincent team in the World Cup  and getting 13 goals from a CONCACAF team! I guess if he wants to help no one should be turned away because we cannot get worst than where we are! We should start having records of all the coaches in all National teams so we have a good background of track records ! Trinis have short memories and they jump from one thing to the next!
I think the most success he has had was with Signal Hill!
       Breds if you go to list the records of any national team Coaches both local and foreign (coaching in T&T)through our Football history you will find there isn't much who have any kind of good background of track records.
       You said it Trinis have short memories because i think Bertille took a U19 team to the WC finals in Portugal,is the first Coach from T&T to qualify a team for a WC finals.     

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 08:30:29 PM »
Bertille did take the Senior team to the 1/4 finals of the Gold Cup. The best we have ever done in that tournament.

We had a thread about how north people does dominate everything. Central, South, East and Tobago does get overlooked. So what allyuh saying in Bertille case is to continue the socalled status quo. I know a lot of people who feel Bertille can't coach. I am not of that opinion. He had difficult time getting the team to qualify for  WC. So what? I think Bertille still has a lot to offer, especially at the youth level. He is a bit of a disciplinarian, kind of old fashion. So what. Sometime them yutes need a good kick in dey arse.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 09:44:24 PM »
Bertille did take the Senior team to the 1/4 finals of the Gold Cup. The best we have ever done in that tournament.

We had a thread about how north people does dominate everything. Central, South, East and Tobago does get overlooked. So what allyuh saying in Bertille case is to continue the socalled status quo. I know a lot of people who feel Bertille can't coach. I am not of that opinion. He had difficult time getting the team to qualify for  WC. So what? I think Bertille still has a lot to offer, especially at the youth level. He is a bit of a disciplinarian, kind of old fashion. So what. Sometime them yutes need a good kick in dey arse.
...and that is what Trinidad and Tobago soccer has always needed. Not only soccer, but Trinidad and Tobago, with all its wealth and brain power is a disgrace at discipline and getting things done.  It is a shame.  Look what a little bit of discipline by Leo Beenhaker did for us!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 05:39:01 AM »
Bertille might be a decent coach but sometimes he does go over board.

1. He did not want to pick Dwarika because of his dreads and when Dwarika scored 45 goals in de Pro league, de TTFF had to step in and make Bertille call up Dwarika, now if he did not want to pick Dwarika because of discipline, then fine, but because of ah man hair style ? while I agree you should tie up your dreads while playing (Sancho vs Crouch), but Bertille is just an ass hole sometimes. I remember after Dwarika came on de team and mash up de 2000 Gold Cup, Bertille was he biggest fan.

2. He also came out in public one day and said he does not need to scout teams. And he eh need to take no coaching course to improve his coaching. He f00cking head real hard then (something like Coops)....

Bertille is good for Tobago football, leave him they, he does do very well for St Clair CC.

De football move on and leave him in the past, if he could work on a few things then maybe he might be a good coach for the youths teams of T&T, catch them before they go delinquent.

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 07:22:30 AM »
Coop's any coach who get 13 goals in one game in world cup qualifying at senior level cannot be taken seriously! Maybe he is disciplinarian and old fashioned and he could teach that to some of these youths but when it comes to the top level. I say nah! Yes that's true about Dwarika! He is a little backward in his thinking! We passed that stage!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 07:32:19 AM »

1. He did not want to pick Dwarika because of his dreads and when Dwarika scored 45 goals in de Pro league, de TTFF had to step in and make Bertille call up Dwarika, now if he did not want to pick Dwarika because of discipline, then fine, but because of ah man hair style ? while I agree you should tie up your dreads while playing (Sancho vs Crouch), but Bertille is just an ass hole sometimes. I remember after Dwarika came on de team and mash up de 2000 Gold Cup, Bertille was he biggest fan.

2. He also came out in public one day and said he does not need to scout teams. And he eh need to take no coaching course to improve his coaching. He f00cking head real hard then (something like Coops)....

Bertille is good for Tobago football, leave him they, he does do very well for St Clair CC.

De football move on and leave him in the past, if he could work on a few things then maybe he might be a good coach for the youths teams of T&T, catch them before they go delinquent.
     I don't care what you say our past History and records prove we had better Coaches which produced better players and by extention we got better results,we had a vibrant National league and Colleges league,we were well respected in the region,all that with no foreign Coach.
     Football move on?what Football move on?if you are happy with where we are as a Football nation i'm sorry for you,our Football in good hands with the present crop of Coaches we have.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 07:34:21 AM »
Coop's any coach who get 13 goals in one game in world cup qualifying at senior level cannot be taken seriously! Maybe he is disciplinarian and old fashioned and he could teach that to some of these youths but when it comes to the top level. I say nah! Yes that's true about Dwarika! He is a little backward in his thinking! We passed that stage!
      What about a Coach who qualified a team for a WC?

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 07:54:01 AM »
Bertille was asking to scout Tobago players and recommend them to the National Coaches.
 Nothing wrong with that?, Trust me we need Bertille with the youths in terms of discipline and attitude.
 So let the man be the Tobago scout for the Federation and take him seriously.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 12:33:37 PM »
Sam i've learned not to worry myself over you because the same thing you saying about Bertille you said it about every Coach we ever had includeing Lincoln,Gally,Corneal etc etc you all does look for every little deficiency a man have to bring him down.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 02:01:46 PM »

I don't care what you say our past History and records prove we had better Coaches which produced better players and by extention we got better results,we had a vibrant National league and Colleges league,we were well respected in the region,all that with no foreign Coach.
     Football move on?what Football move on?if you are happy with where we are as a Football nation i'm sorry for you,our Football in good hands with the present crop of Coaches we have.

Coop's again that is total :bs:

Point to anything in your time that supasses Dwight Yorke, Latapy, Stern John, the 2 youth team that went WC and the 2006 Warriors.

This is not about "feel good", results is all that matters.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:03:27 PM by elan »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 03:20:27 PM »

Coop's again that is total :bs:

Point to anything in your time that supasses Dwight Yorke, Latapy, Stern John, the 2 youth team that went WC and the 2006 Warriors.

This is not about "feel good", results is all that matters.
       Who coached these guys Elan?who was responsible for making these guys who they end up to be?it's the same local Coaches that we are rejecting today,the unqualified College Coaches,the Coaches that never did courses,don't worry about anything we did in my time,the foundation we built for T&T Football was good enough because what we started those guys was able to improve on and finish and don't forget to say thanks to JW.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Bertille St Clair Thread
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 03:24:17 AM »
Myself and a good friend are having a discussion.

He told me that Bertille St Clair was the coach of St Vincent in 1992.

I beg to differ, I said he was coach for SVG in 1996.

I also did a search and it confirm he was SVG coach in 1996.

The person swear he was SVG coach in 1992 and he saw the game when he was SVG coach during the 1992 WCQ's when Mexico beat them 11-0.

Maybe Wiki made a mistake ?

Can anyone clear this up ?

Tallman, e-man, anybody ?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 07:37:29 AM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bertille St Clair.
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 05:28:08 AM »
It was a Brazilian named Jorge Ramos who was in charge of St. Vincent when dey get dat 11-0 cut-ass from Mexico in 1992.

Ah tink de man yuh seeing 15 seconds into de following clip is him:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UTN4Yf6M6pE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UTN4Yf6M6pE</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 06:30:08 AM »
Why don't you check with the St Vincent Football Association?
I recall St Clair as having a stint as the coach during a World Cup qualification and he got a lot of goals from one of the teams from theCentral American region! I remember looking at the game but can't remember the year ! It was very embarassing ! Surely St Vincent will have that information!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 06:39:38 AM »
Why don't you check with the St Vincent Football Association?
I recall St Clair as having a stint as the coach during a World Cup qualification and he got a lot of goals from one of the teams from theCentral American region! I remember looking at the game but can't remember the year ! It was very embarassing ! Surely St Vincent will have that information!

That was against Honduras in 1996 when they lost 11-3.

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 06:43:08 AM »
I remember it was real licks! I believe from Honduras as well!
Tall man How many goals St Clair got from these teams? I recall it being a lot ! I thought I was looking at Basketball!

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 06:44:32 AM »

Tallman ah just curious.
Where do you get all this info from ?
Yuh compiling football archives since yuh could walk, talk an tief pen an paper or yuh have some private search engine that does find from the very best in the world to football with rugby like scores?
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 08:11:54 AM »
Tall man How many goals St Clair got from these teams? I recall it being a lot ! I thought I was looking at Basketball!

Bertille was in charge for de last four matches of St. Vincent's 1998 WCQ campaign:
11-3 loss to Honduras (1996-11-17)
5-0 loss to Jamaica (1996-11-10)
5-1 loss to Mexico (1996-10-30)
4-1 loss to Honduras (1996-10-13)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 08:15:59 AM »
Thanks Tallman.

Bertille was indeed the coach of SVG in 1996.

Really disappointed to see how terrible that SVG team performed, but I know Bertille came in late...

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 06:56:43 PM by Flex »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 09:25:17 AM »

Bertille was in charge for de last four matches of St. Vincent's 1998 WCQ campaign:
11-3 loss to Honduras (1996-11-17)
5-0 loss to Jamaica (1996-11-10)
5-1 loss to Mexico (1996-10-30)
4-1 loss to Honduras (1996-10-13)

so them fellas get all that licks, and in 4 years, dem learn they lesson and beat we in ah friendly ?..Who represent we, the SWN.net sweat team ?  ;D

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 10:12:37 AM »
Bertille St Clair was coach of St Vincent in 1996.

In 1990, 1991 and 1992 he was the coach of T&T Under 20 team.

I heard Anton wants to bring him back.... and Vidale too.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 05:42:15 PM »
BSC good at grooming young players (who eh have dread locks). Feeding de next generation of players to de National Seniour Team, me eh see no problem with dat.

1]; } ?>