April 16, 2024, 04:35:23 PM

Author Topic: Bertille St Clair Thread  (Read 20507 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Bertille St Clair.
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 06:35:03 PM »
I remember it was real licks! I believe from Honduras as well!
Tall man How many goals St Clair got from these teams? I recall it being a lot ! I thought I was looking at Basketball!

Bertille was in charge for de last four matches of St. Vincent's 1998 WCQ campaign:
11-3 loss to Honduras (1996-11-17)
5-0 loss to Jamaica (1996-11-10)
5-1 loss to Mexico (1996-10-30)
4-1 loss to Honduras (1996-10-13)

so them fellas get all that licks, and in 4 years, dem learn they lesson and beat we in ah friendly ?..Who represent we, the SWN.net sweat team ?  ;D

How ppl using Bertille name so. Is anyone saying Otto lost to Guyana?

The man came in the middle of a campaign and his first game was vs. Honduras.
How many coaches could do better with a team like St. Vincent.

Looking at the last two games, that could've easilly been TT playing those teams.

Bertille didn't get licks. It was a weak ass SVG team. And you notice the quality of the opposition - No Guyana.

Looks like ppl have a real anti Bertille sentiment here.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »
Thanx, VB for putting everything in perspective. The problem with Vincy was all the players of the previous generation, Pete Morris and he brothers and a couple of good players all migrated to Brooklyn. I used to see Hairoon in Boys High mashing teams(Trini, Ja, Haitian,etc). They had beat TT  about 4 or 5 years before to reach the CFU finals. The problem was, that Vincy never had replacements and/or they never groomed the next batch of players as well the previous batch. Their team was indeed weak and Bertille did join the campaign late. He could not pull off a miracle like Beenie man seeing the resources Vincy had at the time. Bertille record speaks for itself. He was a good coach. But he was not able to carry the team to the WC. That is it. Plain and simple

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 07:50:29 PM »
I remember it was real licks! I believe from Honduras as well!
Tall man How many goals St Clair got from these teams? I recall it being a lot ! I thought I was looking at Basketball!

Bertille was in charge for de last four matches of St. Vincent's 1998 WCQ campaign:
11-3 loss to Honduras (1996-11-17)
5-0 loss to Jamaica (1996-11-10)
5-1 loss to Mexico (1996-10-30)
4-1 loss to Honduras (1996-10-13)

so them fellas get all that licks, and in 4 years, dem learn they lesson and beat we in ah friendly ?..Who represent we, the SWN.net sweat team ?  ;D

How ppl using Bertille name so. Is anyone saying Otto lost to Guyana?

The man came in the middle of a campaign and his first game was vs. Honduras.
How many coaches could do better with a team like St. Vincent.

Looking at the last two games, that could've easilly been TT playing those teams.

Bertille didn't get licks. It was a weak ass SVG team. And you notice the quality of the opposition - No Guyana.

Looks like ppl have a real anti Bertille sentiment here.

VB
nb: not an anti bertille joke as much as an anti TT joke...4 yrs later SVG beat TT in a friendly, so what dat say bout how far we had progress...get it..get it...awww forget meh stale joke  ;).  Tough crowd
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 07:52:42 PM by maxg »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bertille St. Clair mugged
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2014, 11:20:05 PM »
Is this true. Just reading the Express that Bertille was mugged outside his home?

Bertille St Clair tied up, robbed.
By Elizabeth Williams (Express).

A search is on for two men who tied up and robbed 72-year-old former national football coach and retired schoolteacher Bertille St Clair on Tuesday at his home in Pascal Village, Lambeau, Tobago.

Officers said this was the third time St Clair—a mentor to former Trinidad and Tobago captain and Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke and seve­ral other national senior and youth players—had been robbed of his valuabl­es.

A female relative told the Express the latest incident occurred shortly after noon, when St Clair was returning home to have lunch. According to police reports, St Clair was jumped from behind by two masked bandits armed with guns, upon arrival at his home.

He was pushed to the ground, assaulted and a gun placed to his head. The bandits then tied him up. Signature jewelry, including rings, gold ID bands and chains, along with jewelry belonging to his wife, Jackie St Clair, and a number of alcoholic beverages from his in-house bar were taken.

Valuables to the tune of $14,000 were stolen. St Clair later freed himself and drove to Scarborough Police Station, where a report was made.

When the Express visited St Clair yesterday, he was in good spirits, doing some chores around his home.
He said while he did not go to Scarborough General Hospital on Tuesday, it was his intention to visit yesterday to have an X-ray on his back.

The incident occurred in the vicinity of Sylphil Home in Love, a home that cares for abandoned children. Acting Corporal Tafewa Daniel of the Scarborough station is spearheading investigations.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:17:32 AM by Flex »

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bertille St. Clair mugged
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2014, 01:15:57 PM »
sad  :cursing: :cursing:
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2014, 01:44:22 PM »
Beyond de Ridiculous now our beloved TnT is in a real dark place  currently  .......  real madness   :bs:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2014, 06:32:41 AM »
Officers said this was the third time St Clair—a mentor to former Trinidad and Tobago captain and Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke and seve­ral other national senior and youth players—had been robbed of his valuabl­es.

Absolutely ridiculous ...

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2014, 09:23:24 AM »
I wont name any names but i am 99.9% sure i know the two idiots who did this. I'll put my head on a block! and if i can be so sure the police should already know as well  :cursing: :cursing:

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2014, 03:40:25 PM »
I wont name any names but i am 99.9% sure i know the two idiots who did this. I'll put my head on a block! and if i can be so sure the police should already know as well  :cursing: :cursing:

SPEAK UP THEN! Alert the police! Do not assume they know. We need more people speaking up against this sort of crap.
Hart for president

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2014, 05:45:52 PM »

SPEAK UP THEN! Alert the police! Do not assume they know. We need more people speaking up against this sort of crap.
Already did, and these two are surprisingly no where to be found. Up till Monday they were living next door but they havent been seen anywhere in the village since then

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2014, 06:15:44 AM »
 :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :pissedoff: :pissedoff:
Dey distress mih coach dread!!!  Steups!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TAU condemns attack on coach St. Clair
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2014, 10:01:09 AM »
TAU condemns attack on coach St. Clair
By Opuku Ware (Tobago News)

THE robbing at gunpoint of legendary Tobago football coach, Bertille St. Clair is being strongly condemned by the Tobago African Union (TAU). The incident happened at the retired school teacher’s home at Pascal Village, Lambeau last Tuesday.

The police are still hunting for two men, who tied up and robbed St. Clair of $14,000 worth of jewellery and alcohol.

In a statement from the TAU, Field Secretary, Robert Hislop, himself a sports coach, says St. Clair has contributed greatly to Tobago.

"It is very hard to imagine any Tobagonian who would want to hurt or rob Coach St. Clair because he is an individual who has brought joy and happiness to Tobago by his work over the years,” he says.

St. Clair was the coach of Signal Hill Comprehensive (now Signal Hill Secondary) School when a then youthful Dwight Yorke led the team to win a number of national college championships. He has also created the St. Clair Coaching School Football Academy, which has produced hundreds of top quality footballers. Some of those players have gone on to foreign colleges and universities through the good work of coach St. Clair.

Hislop, who is a former Tobago House of Assembly (THA) Sports Secretary, described St. Clair as, "a model citizen who is deserving of the highest respect and gratitude from every Tobagonian". Hislop, who also served as a member of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service, is calling on those investigating the case to "leave no stone unturned in their quest to bring the perpetrators to justice."

In recent discussions with the THA, the National Security Minister, Gary Griffith and Minister in the Ministry of National Security, Embau Moheni promised to keep 'Trini' criminals out of Tobago. However, there have been reports from reliable eye witnesses that individuals linked to crime in Trinidad are 'playing' themselves at popular night spots in Tobago.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2014, 06:57:24 PM »
Third time getting robbed time for a change...maybe ge a big dog , a security guard, hind your gold do something

These youths nowadays not easy. They will kill u to buy a new shoes

How much warming you need

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 11:49:43 AM »
They solve this yet?

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2014, 06:38:17 PM »
Tobago is a lawless place...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Say thanks to Bertille
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
Say thanks to Bertille
Opuku Ware (Tobago News)

IT was a wonderful feeling for yours truly to know that our own, Bertille St. Clair was among those honoured by the Olympic Association for their contribution to sports in Trinidad and Tobago.

This column has been in the forefront of championing the call for the Milford Road Esplanade to be named the St. Clair Esplanade. The powers in Trinidad have deemed it fit to name the Independence Square Promenade after cricket legend Brian Lara, and quite rightly so.

The records will show that this column has taken an uncompromising position that the pint sized Coach St. Clair is deserving of such honour.

It was St. Clair, as football coach, who brought Dwight Yorke to prominence as a player, and while we salute those responsible for granting Dwight Yorke pride of place at the Bacolet Stadium, surely Coach St. Clair must also get his 'day in the Tobago sun'.

There is a latent input into our minds as a former colonised people, in terms of how we do not show the type of appreciation and gratitude to those who have contributed to the development of their people. It is an attitude we must strive to eliminate in order to inspire others to serve the nation and its people with dedication and sacrifice.

Let us not forget that the Friendsfield born Bertille St. Clair was a footballer during the 1960s with the  Tobago All Stars when he suffered a broken leg in the game. He then turned to coaching and used every opportunity to enhance his knowledge as a football coach.

He passed on his knowledge of the game to every community and school he had the opportunity to serve. He trained hundreds, maybe thousands, of Tobagonian and Trinidadian youth in the sport of football and cricket. He took young men, who did not have a clue about football, and made them into players.

Every human being must be judged by the era from which they came, and the same must be done with St. Clair. He came from an era when  parents insisted on the ultimate discipline from their children.

It is, therefore, no surprise that St. Clair's trade mark includes an iron clad discipline and dedication. St. Clair's high quality coaching ability was highlighted nationally, when he took the Signal Hill Comprehensive School and defeated the best colleges in Trinidad and won several national college titles. It was from these competitions that Dwight Yorke and Colvin Hutchinson emerged as top national footballers.

It is important to note that when members of the Signal Hill team were at the top of their game during the 1980s, they generated a sense of pride among Tobagonians of all ages. Hundreds of Tobagonians journeyed to Trinidad to support the Bertille St. Clair coached college team in their games.

As a coach, St. Clair likes to develop players. The President of the Tobago Football Association, Raymond Alleyne once told me that he did not understand how coach St. Clair was able to walk around the school and choose young men to play on the team; some of them had never played the game before, but he was able to take them and fashion them into competent footballers.

St. Clair has been able to secure scholarships to many international universies for scores of  young Tobago footballers.

When St. Clair took charge of the national Under 19 team with the likes of Dwight Yorke and  Russel Latapy, he was able to coach them to become the first English speaking Caribbean team to qualify for an international FIFA World Cup tournament at the Under 20 World Cup finals in Portugal in 1990.
As the senior national coach, St. Clair was able to take a virtual national 'B' team and win the Caribbean Cup. He also guided the national team to their best ever performance in the Gold Cup in the United States of America. It is my view, that Trinidad and Tobago's senior team played their best ever football under Coach St. Clair.

In fact, he coached the national team (Soca Warriors) in 13 of their 20 World Cup games, when they eventually gained qualification for the 2006 World Cup finals in Germany. It was only the hasty and bullheaded actions of Jack Warner which prevented our 'home boy' from having the distinction of leading our senior team in Germany.

Let us not forget, that it was the St. Clair coached team which revived their qualifying chances for the 2006 World Cup with a crucial 2-1 victory over Guatemala. They also played with great spirit and technique to hold the dangerous Costa Rica to a one all draw. So when Warner brought in the Dutchman Leo Beenhakker to take over the team, he was, in fact, taking over a well-coached team.

Before we deal with what yours truly considers to be the greatest sporting contribution of coach St. Clair, let us look at his cultural contribution. When the founder of Our Boys Steelband, Patrick Arnold left Tobago to study at a North American university, it was Bertille St. Clair who was left to lead the steel band.

St. Clair, himself, had a reputation as a competent tenor pan player. It was said that once he learnt a tune on the pan, he never forgot it. However, it was as the leader of the then top ranking steel band that he made his mark. He recruited many new players into the steel band, and developed a cooperative style of operation within the band's structure.

He instituted a high sense of discipline among the pannists and ensured that Our Boys had a sense of continuity until Arnold returned from his studies.

Now, Our Boys steel band has fallen on not so good times and there is an ever increasing call for St. Clair to return to revive the band's fortunes.

As we return to St. Clair and his contribution to the sporting community, it is his St. Clair Coaching School which shines highly in terms of his time in sports. Recently, national women team star striker, Kenya 'Ya Ya' Cordner spoke in glowing terms of coach St. Clair.

It is the same respect he gets from Dwight Yorke, Latapy or Shaka Hislop. The players whom he has coached at his coaching school have maintained a healthy respect for the man they all call “Coach”.

St. Clair took a piece of pasture land from a Carnbee family and through hard work and guts, he built a smooth surface and structures to facilitate his weekly training programmes for young Tobagonians from all over the island. Year after year, St. Clair struggled to build his sporting institution and he created one of the best football teams Tobago has ever seen. The St. Clair Coaching School team won competition after competiton. However, even the great God in the Christian Bible (St James version) had his detractors, and for all the good Coach St. Clair did for the youths of Tobago, there were a few who did not like his direction at the Carnbee facility. So being the man he is, he simply went away and continued to do his good works for the Tobago youth at his new base at the Signal Hill school ground.

This action by St. Clair proves the mettle of the man. We all witnessed him take some young third form students from Signal Hill Secondary School ten years ago, and last year they took on the might of the other secondary schools in Tobago and gave them 'a run for their money'. He has also begun to rebuild a senior team with some very young players and I have no doubt that soon, Bertille St. Clair and his team will be back in the big times, not only in Tobago but nationally and possibly in the region.

Yours truly, hereby make a plea to the powers that be in Tobago to show some have an appreciation to the man Bertille St. Clair for his monumentous contribution towards sports on the island.

Give him the land he needs to establish his sporting academy and, without haste, name the Esplanade the Coach St. Clair Esplanade.

We have given others land, we have given foreigners 'big food' from Tobago.

Why not St. Clair!

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2015, 10:12:43 PM »
Latapy? Why people cannot have accurate information in their articles?  Journalism is a big joke these days.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2015, 05:18:48 AM »
My coach!!!   :notworthy: :notworthy:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2015, 08:09:54 AM »
It was only the hasty and bullheaded actions of Jack Warner which prevented our 'home boy' from having the distinction of leading our senior team in Germany.

Nice and worthy piece on Bertille. Actually a committee had recommended Beenhakker. Jack wanted Ron Atkinson?(correct me), but Dwight and Shaka protested. They resented his attitude. So a committee, which included LP picked Beenie.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2015, 09:49:16 AM »
It was only the hasty and bullheaded actions of Jack Warner which prevented our 'home boy' from having the distinction of leading our senior team in Germany.

Nice and worthy piece on Bertille. Actually a committee had recommended Beenhakker. Jack wanted Ron Atkinson?(correct me), but Dwight and Shaka protested. They resented his attitude. So a committee, which included LP picked Beenie.
Revisionist history. In reference to the bolded quote.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2015, 05:33:54 PM »

Revisionist history. In reference to the bolded quote.

A good article with the exception of that mamaguy. If memory serves me correctly BS had one point from three games.
I think two of those were home games.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Bertille St Clair Thread
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2019, 04:20:56 AM »
Ex-players to honour coach St Clair.
T&T Guardian Reports.

For­mer play­ers un­der Bertille St Clair are com­ing to­geth­er to hold three days of events to ho­n­our the for­mer Na­tion­al Coach.

Sev­er­al play­ers who played un­der St Clair at the 1991 FI­FA Un­der-20 World Cup and at the se­nior na­tion­al men’s team lev­el, for Sig­nal Hill Se­nior Com­pre­hen­sive are set to be present in To­ba­go this week­end with a se­ries of ac­tiv­i­ties from to­day to Sun­day.

Ac­cord­ing to ex-na­tion­al cap­tain An­gus Eve, there will be Church ser­vice on this morn­ing at 9:30 am to be fol­lowed by a vis­it to Sig­nal Hill Sec­ondary to lay a stone in St Clair’s ho­n­our and play­ers will al­so give mo­ti­va­tion­al talks to stu­dents of the school.

The play­ers will then at­tend a train­ing ses­sion at the St Clair Coach­ing School at 9 am on Sat­ur­day with past na­tion­al play­ers and St Clair Coach­ing School ex-play­ers in at­ten­dance.

Lat­er at 7 pm, a gala din­ner will take place with spe­cial­ly in­vit­ed guests.

The fea­ture event will be an ex­hi­bi­tion game from 2 pm on Sun­day ei­ther at the Dwight Yorke Sta­di­um or the Mt. Pleas­ant Recre­ation Ground de­pend­ing on avail­abil­i­ty which will be con­firmed to­day.

Mem­bers of the Sig­nal Hill In­ter­col cham­pi­on teams of 1987-1989, the T&T U-20 World Cup team of 1991, the men’s se­nior team of the 2000 CON­CA­CAF Gold Cup will all be fea­tur­ing in the match. There will be a cooldown on Mon­day at St Clair’s home.

“It’s re­al­ly the group of play­ers who played un­der Bertille St Clair all com­ing to­geth­er to ho­n­our a gen­tle­man who has played an in­te­gral role in our lives as foot­ballers and as men in T&T,” Eve said.

“He has made a tremen­dous con­tri­bu­tion to the sport and many of us have played un­der him from a very young age, from school­boys to Se­nior na­tion­al play­ers for T&T. We are all re­al­ly look­ing for­ward to spend­ing these days as a mark of re­spect and ho­n­our for him,” Eve said.

Nakhid al­so added, “It's our plea­sure and ho­n­our to be able to in at least some small mea­sure pay trib­ute to a coach, a men­tor, a fa­ther fig­ure, a broth­er and a teacher who has im­pact­ed the lives of so many in so many ways."

Among the play­ers card­ed to be in­volved in­clude Eve, Arnold Dwari­ka, Brent San­cho, Gary Glas­gow, An­tho­ny Rougi­er, An­sil El­cock, An­tho­ny Sher­wood, Clint Mar­celle, Clay­ton Ince and Dwight Yorke and a host of oth­ers with Nakhid al­so hop­ing to at­tend from Lebanon. Stern John, Ross Rus­sell and Den­nis Lawrence will be ab­sent due to na­tion­al du­ties in Wales.

Video - Honouring Bertille St. Clair

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Glorious tributes, honours for St Clair
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2019, 03:18:34 PM »
Glorious tributes, honours for St Clair
By Corey Connelly (T&T Newsday)

REVERED football coach and administrator Bertille St Clair has received a glorious tribute, celebrating a decades-long career in sport and culture in his native Tobago and the wider football fraternity.

Retired national players, sporting enthusiasts, current athletes and former students of the Signal Hill Secondary School spoke effusively about St Clair during a church service in his honour on Thursday at St Andrew’s Anglican Church, Scarborough.

The church service launched three days of activities commemorating St Clair’s work as a coach and administrator, which included the unveiling of a commemorative stone at Signal Hill Secondary, an awards ceremony at Shaw Park Cultural Complex and a football extravaganza at Mt Pleasant Recreation Ground. The Signal Hill Secondary School Recreation Ground was also named after St Clair.

The three-day celebration, co-ordinated by former national player Angus Eve and others, is titled, Coach Bertille St Clair: A Living Legend.

A recipient of the Chaconia Silver and Hummingbird Gold medals for his contribution to football, St Clair is credited with nurturing the talent of former Strike Squad and Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke and others.

Former Signal Hill Secondary player Xavier King recalled St Clair’s role in exposing Tobago’s players to national competition.

“When I examined the 80s when all of this took place, I saw there was a need for a particular kind of leadership in Tobago and that came from Mr Bertille St Clair,” he told the gathering.

“A leadership of confidence, a leadership of building the self-esteem of Tobagonians and therefore, when I loom at that period, that is the kind of man that came out in that period.

“Therefore, that is why I ranked him as a real legend because that period, that is where you compare people and see what they have done, when Tobago needed that lift, to go Trinidad and show that we could have beat people and come back in Tobago. He was the man who inspired that kind of leadership,” King added.

King’s tribute focussed on St Clair’s fighting spirit and discipline as a coach.

“Don’t disturb him in his coaching because he would tell you that if you are a doctor and you are operating, you not going to disturb a doctor when he is operating. So, don’t disturb me at all. Leave me with my work, let me finish my work.”

Lance Dillon, who once attended St Clair’s Coaching School, shared their relationship spanned some 41 years.

However, he joked that, as a young footballer, St Clair was “a pain in my backside.”

“And every footballer who played for him, don’t tell me you don’t feel the same,” Dillon said.

“But, as a man, I thank you.... I hated practising with you. But I loved playing games for you because I knew we were always the fittest and most intelligent team on the field, except when I was playing for Bishop’s,” he joked.

Laughs aside, Dillon said his experience in the US has allowed him to “see people at the end of their lives.”

“And no one ever talks about money, house or car. The only thing they speak of is the experience with people.”

Dillon said he grasped the opportunity to be a part of the celebration.

“I am grateful that you are a part of my life.”

St Clair, in a message to students of Signal Hill yesterday, stressed that success only comes through discipline. “If you don’t have any discipline, you can’t go anywhere – it’s so important. The sky’s the limit and what you put in is what you will get out. Respect your teachers; respect your fellow men, because we want you to be proud. You are from Signal Hill. I promise you from this year on, the school will get back to the winning place,” he said. (additional reporting by Elizabeth Gonzales)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2020, 09:49:49 PM »
WATCH: Listen to Bertille St. Clair, the first coach to qualify Trinidad and Tobago for a FIFA World Cup (1991 Youth World Cup in Portugal). He shares some interesting insights on his journey in local football  while coaching various national teams.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JL_AZ9f1BXo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JL_AZ9f1BXo</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2020, 11:22:41 PM »
Conclusion: St. Clair is the Daniel Passarella of T&T football?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2020, 05:03:16 AM »
Conclusion: St. Clair is the Daniel Passarella of T&T football?

When you say Passarella, you mean as coach. He was a no non-sense coach. Nice interview. I always heard that he was a disciplinarian.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2020, 02:01:16 PM »
Good interview. Looking forward to other coaches as well.

Didn’t get the Passarella cipher doh

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2020, 04:20:36 PM »
Good interview. Looking forward to other coaches as well.

Didn’t get the Passarella cipher doh

The whole interview was about discipline. Ironically, he wasn't disciplined in responding to the Qs, but he had time to call Keon Daniel a "tie head".  ;D

Major takeaways: be 'well-groomed', punctual and tuck your shirt in".  Oh and doh drink rum. And everybody on de same bus.

SF tried, but I found the going painful.

Passarella wanted players with short hair and lost track of whether he was recruiting for the army or the NT.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 04:24:16 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2020, 05:00:03 PM »
Every coach has their shtick. Some good some bad. One don’t have to in agreement with all their policies to learn from their successes. In my opinion, I do agree on some measure of discipline, examples, attitudes, etc..however to disregard talent, because they not on ones rules of law is kinda hypocritical on the we are all the same thoughts.
That’s he. And may work temporarily in development in Tobago, or may not. But won’t work for us out here.
I tend to learn from their positives and skip their negatives. In most cases, I don’t have to like or dislike who they are, they don’t care.

Keon was ah mess doh 😣

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2020, 09:15:25 PM »
Please do a 45+ with Cornell Glen. He's one of the most candid voices around.

1]; } ?>