March 28, 2024, 03:25:51 AM

Author Topic: 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup held in South Korea  (Read 80765 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 CFU Men's U-20 Qualifiers Thread
« Reply #390 on: October 28, 2016, 07:54:46 PM »
Correct, we did. Allyuh welcome.

Haiti puhhin on a masterclass. A&B will have their work cut out. Haiti 3 Bermuda 0.

MoM Roberto LOUIMA.

Simply unacceptable if we don't defeat Bermuda. Bermuda is boo.

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 28, 2016, 10:19:19 PM »
CFU Group
Haiti beat Anguila 8-0
Haiti beat Bermuda 3-0
Haiti beat Cayman Islands 5-0

CFU Finals
Haiti beat St. Lucia 5-1
Haiti beat Cuba 2-1
Semi-Finals
Haiti beat Bermuda 3-0

Haiti is obviously the best U20 team, however our defense is the only one to hold them scoreless.

Our team will only get better over the next 4 months.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 28, 2016, 10:54:12 PM »
Haiti is the best U20 squad regionally by a country mile.

And they entertained the crowd without losing their tactical mission.

#6 Francy Pierre exhibited a piece of skill that hopefully makes the highlight reel. Otherworldly, but it occurred in this one.

#17, Sanon, the baller from Montreal, was on a similar beat (no pun intended) minutes before.

These players were two of a very impressive cast.

Some very sensible football minds had VERY complimentary things to say.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 11:03:19 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 29, 2016, 06:44:56 AM »
Haiti is the best U20 squad regionally by a country mile.

And they entertained the crowd without losing their tactical mission.

#6 Francy Pierre exhibited a piece of skill that hopefully makes the highlight reel. Otherworldly, but it occurred in this one.

#17, Sanon, the baller from Montreal, was on a similar beat (no pun intended) minutes before.

These players were two of a very impressive cast.

Some very sensible football minds had VERY complimentary things to say.

Their U17 is also the best in the region, not sure by country mile or how my kilometers

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Under 20s pipped on penalties in CFU Semis
« Reply #394 on: October 29, 2016, 09:36:22 AM »
Under 20s pipped on penalties in CFU Semis
TTFA Media

Trinidad and Tobago’s National Under 20 footballers will meet Bermuda in the third place match of the Caribbean Football Union Under 20 Championship following their defeat to Antigua and Barbuda 5-4 one penalty kicks in Friday’s semi-final outing in Willemstad.

Neither team could find the net during regulating time as well as extra time, sending the match to penalty kicks. This was the fourth game in which T&T maintained a scoreless sheet in 90 minutes but goalkeeper Denzil Smith, for all his good work in open play throughout the competition, could not pull off any further stops to save T&T during the shootout.

Kareem Riley missed T&T’s third kick as Antigua converted their five to book a spot in Sunday’s final against Haiti which defeated Bermuda 3-0 in the second semi-final clash on Friday. T&T meets Bermuda from 5pm at the Ergilio Hato stadium in Willemstad.

T&T captain Jabari Mitchell, Keston Julien, Noah Powder and Shane Sandy all converted their kicks in that order for T&T.

Head Coach Brian Williams, mentioned that he was disappointed that T&T failed to put away its chances during the match. Prolific forward Nicholas Dillon missed the encounter after suffering an injury in Wednesday’s 0-0 draw with Haiti, leaving the field in the 88th minute.

“It’s a disappointment yes, that we had to lose the match in the manner in which we did from the penalty kicks,” Williams told TTFA Media.

“I felt we had good enough chances during the regular period of play to take the game but we were not as efficient as I would have liked. It is unfortunate that we had to end up in penalty kicks and then it was any team’s match at that stage. I know the players are disappointed as well because we’ve missed out on a chance of getting to the final.

“The better story for us is that we have been able to book our spot in the final round of CONCACAF and everyone here understands now that the focus towards that tournament in February starts now. It’s going to take a lot of sacrifice, dedication and strong preparation for us to be ready to not just go there and play but to compete strongly and qualify for the World Cup in South Korea,” Williams added.

T&T, with its loss on Friday, gave up the chance of defending their 2014 title in Sunday’s final. But Haiti will be making a return and will be aiming to capture the crown after losing to T&T 3-0 in the previous final at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

T&T Line Up

1. Denzil Smith (GK), 3. Kori Cupid, 5. Taryk Sampson, 6. Noah Powder, 8. Jarred Dass (15. Kation St Hillaire, 46’) 10. Jabari Mitchell (Capt), 11. Kareem Riley, 12. Shane Sandy, 14. Taofik Lucas-Walker (16. Micah Lansiquot, 58’), 17. Keston Julien, 19. Morgan Bruce (18.Josh Toussaint, 81st.

Subs that did not play – 2. Andrew Rullow, 13. Isaiah Garcia, 20. Jabari Brice (GK) Out with injury – 4. Kierron Mason, 9. Nicholas Dillon, 7. Isaiah Hudson.

Head Coach – Brian Williams
Referee – Swason Owen (Cayman Islands)
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup held in South Korea
« Reply #395 on: October 30, 2016, 01:06:39 PM »
As the team heads into a 3rd place match, its comforting to know they will be at CONCACAF in February. With the Christmas and Carnival season, these group of boys plus any additions need to be in camp early for proper preparation especially nutrition and fitness.

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 30, 2016, 03:19:31 PM »
If Hart was the under 20 coach he would have gotten fired already.

Hope David John Williams taking note.

I know Williams have been his boy a while now, but he can't be happy with these results. One win and look at the teams beating us.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 30, 2016, 06:17:22 PM »
HALF TIME: CFU FINAL, Haiti 2 Antigua & Barbuda 0

Roberto LOUIMA 21', 38'.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 30, 2016, 06:22:16 PM »
THIRD-PLACE MATCH: Bermuda 2 T&T 1

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 30, 2016, 06:33:33 PM »
48' Haiti 3 A&B 0.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 30, 2016, 07:42:21 PM »
Haiti mash up everything!

Scored in the 84' to make it 4-0.

Have walked off with all of the individual awards and dominated the tournament XI (if not having secured all the spots). Sheer pandemonium.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 30, 2016, 07:47:49 PM »
T&T wins the Fair Play Award.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 30, 2016, 07:52:00 PM »
About 400 Haitians on hand to witness the crowning. Allyuh have NO idea. This was a home match for Haiti.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 12:12:03 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 30, 2016, 08:05:09 PM »
I'm sure man, congratulations to Haiti. I know their fan base is usually loud and boisterous.

How did T&T look today? Bermuda dominated us?

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 30, 2016, 08:40:47 PM »
So Bermuda beat us.  :frustrated:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 30, 2016, 10:39:16 PM »

So didn't this team has preparation in Guyana an Central America? still they lost even their third place match against Bermuda at home? Lawd ladder!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 30, 2016, 10:42:51 PM »
Skipped the 3rd place match to spend my time on more rewarding activity. But, spoke to a couple of the Bermudian players after and congratulated them. To say they were ecstatic would be an understatement.

There was ever only one likely champion at this tourney and they fulfilled their destiny. The T&T players should have been made to stay and suffer through the medal ceremony.

Offline Trin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 30, 2016, 11:28:21 PM »
One disappointment after the next in T&T football. At least we consistent.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 31, 2016, 06:20:03 AM »
Brian Williams has lots of work to do.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #409 on: October 31, 2016, 06:41:22 AM »
Under 20s finish fourth in CFU Championship.
TTFA Media.

Trinidad and Tobago’s Under 20 Men’s Team had to settle for a fourth place finish in the Caribbean Football Union Under 20 Championship after conceding an 87th minute in a 2-1 loss to Bermuda in Sunday’s third place playoff at the Ergilio Hato Stadium in Willemstad.

Having suffered a defeat 5-4 on penalty kicks to Antigua and Barbuda in Friday’s semi-final, T&T would have been looking to end the tournament on a high after previously going six matches unbeaten in the CFU qualifiers, including three Group B games in the Final Round without conceding a goal in outfield play.

But T&T failed to put on the type of display that would have warranted silverware in their final outing and midfielder Mikel Thomas punished the defending champions with an 87th minute goal to give Bermuda third place honours. Knory Scott had earlier given Bermuda a 1-0 lead in the 44th minute while St Ann’s Rangers forward Josh Toussaint equalised for T&T three minutes into the second half.

T&T reportedly squandered a at least three decent goalscoring chances and were made to pay for their lack inefficient in front of goal. Forward Nicholas Dillon was ruled out with an ankle injury sustained in the 0-0 draw with Haiti last Wednesday while midfielder Isaiah Hudson returned to Trinidad on Friday.

“It was definitely a most disappointing way to end the tournament. We came here with the objective of qualifying for the Concacaf stage which we achieved but I felt we needed to show a bit more urgency after the Haiti game and we did not do that in the end,” Williams told TTFA Media.

“Complacency stepped in and  after Haiti game we spoke about trying to avoid that at length. I also had conversations with the technical study group for this tournament and the feedback has been very positive and Carl Brown of Jamaica went as far as saying that he felt we were probably one of the soundest teams in the competition in terms of our possession play and our defensive work.

“I do not think Antigua and Barbuda are a better a team than us and they didn’t play a better match than we did and it was the same against Bermuda today. But what I noticed is that we were not hungry to take care of the game in these two matches and that cost us. It is something that continues to affect us at all levels in regional competitions and I really wanted us to step over that hurdle in this competition but we failed to do that. This is something we have to urgently address with our national teams, Williams added.

The former National defender said he would be opening up the selection doors when the team resumes preparations in two weeks time.

“We’ll have a two-week break and then we will get back to the training field. My coaching staff and I will be opening up the squad again and I will welcome the chance to include any player that I think is disciplined enough and capable enough to represent the country and bring something extra to the squad, that could bolster our chances at the Concacaf level,” Williams added.

CONCACAF Notes

T&T will join eleven other nations in Costa Rica from February 17th-March 5th. The other qualified teams include hosts Costa Rica, Canada, Mexico, United States, El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras, Bermuda, Antigua/Barbuda, Haiti and CFU fifth placed team St Kitts/Nevis.

The two venues for the competition will be the National Stadium in San Jose, and the Ricardo Saprissa Stadium, home to Deportivo Saprissa of the Costa Rican First Division. The date for the draw will be announced shortly.

The twelve (12) teams shall be divided into a group stage consisting of two (2) groups (A, B) of six (6) teams each. The group winners qualify automatically for the Final and the Under 20 World Cup in South Korea. The second-and third-place teams from each group are re-seeded by group stage results for a playoffs, with the top team of the four facing the fourth-best team, and the second-best finisher facing the third-best. The winners of those two games will also advance to the U-20 World Cup.

Team

T&T Line Up vs Bermuda - 20. Jabari Brice (GK), 2. Andrew Rullow (16. Micah Lansiquot, 46’), 3. Kori Cupid, 5. Taryk Sampson, 6. Noah Powder, 10. Jabari Mitchell (capt), 11. Kareem Riley, 12. Shane Sandy, 17. Keston Julien (15. Kathon St Hillaire, 69th), 18. Josh Toussaint, 19. Morgan Bruce,

Subs not used: 1. Denzil Smith (GK), 8. Jarred Dass, 13. Isaiah Garcia, 14.Taofik Lucas-Walker. Injured – 4. Kierron Mason, 9. Nicholas Dillon, Absent – 7. Isaiah Hudson

Head Coach – Brian Williams

Referee – Sherwin Moore (Guyana)

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 31, 2016, 09:02:07 AM »
That was the bad news. Good news is there's time to make some changes and improve the situation.
Here's hoping that they can get it done.  :beermug:
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 31, 2016, 11:35:17 AM »

Let me repeat

So didn't this team has preparation in Guyana an Central America? still they lost even their third place match against Bermuda at home? Lawd ladder!

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 31, 2016, 10:28:37 PM »
Bermuda has a good record against TT A&B is just a smaller version of Jamaica with the exception of St Lucia T&T has always struggled to deal with these physical teams.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 01, 2016, 12:02:18 AM »
UPDATED POST:

Physicality was not the issue preventing success, and "struggle" is an overstatement of anything that was on display. We laboured but that was our own doing. And undoing. Not because A&B were difficult to break down.

Just because a man is toiling in the hot sun doh mean he is being productive.

He could be sweating without clear purpose. Without defined purpose. We did that at times. Some of our players need to ask themselves:

Why do I have the ball? What's my purpose, role and function? What do I need to do to not be merely going through the motions?

The point has been made that several likely contributors to this team are injured and that the team qualified in their absence. Not to be ignored, but that's only part of the story.

Aside from the spurned chances, I saw a team largely devoid of players with ideas other than those with which they were scripted. (Have to say that Kareem Riley showed to be a lil different in this regard later in the match but still lacks the playing maturity to stamp his ideas with authority. Definitely a better showing from my first observation of him during a supposedly "tough" SSFL match).

Although one could see what the coaching staff sought to implement, and did implement (it's unfair to say they cyah coach), I want to see them deliver more than the sufficient. Extra sauce, please. Tweak de sauce too.

What I didn't see from the players was that unscripted solutions were necessary, and from the staff, recognition that too many eggs were being placed in the Keston Julien basket (we were overly reliant on building play through him. That pattern was repetitive and a better team than A&B would have fixed the situation rather than have it endure 90'). Time to demand more of our center mids!

All good though. One was able to figure out the player's (Julien's) deficiencies. Frankly though, I would have preferred to have had that challenge linger into a rematch with Haiti, rather than "get it" versus lesser opposition.

A player who doesn't recognize moments versus weaker opposition is not going to recognize them versus stronger opponents.

The substitutions made indicate we didn't have influence coming off the bench, but rather had more or less the "status quo" coming off the bench. (While ah on that: ah doh know the player well but St. Hillaire adjusted quickly coming off the bench. Could be interesting to see what he has to offer from the start of a match with time to grow as the match grows).

To do it at CONCACAF level, we need to pick a different type of player or select fewer of the current model.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:00:47 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 01, 2016, 11:35:44 AM »
UPDATED POST:

Physicality was not the issue preventing success, and "struggle" is an overstatement of anything that was on display. We laboured but that was our own doing. And undoing. Not because A&B were difficult to break down.

Just because a man is toiling in the hot sun doh mean he is being productive.

He could be sweating without clear purpose. Without defined purpose. We did that at times. Some of our players need to ask themselves:

Why do I have the ball? What's my purpose, role and function? What do I need to do to not be merely going through the motions?

The point has been made that several likely contributors to this team are injured and that the team qualified in their absence. Not to be ignored, but that's only part of the story.

Aside from the spurned chances, I saw a team largely devoid of players with ideas other than those with which they were scripted. (Have to say that Kareem Riley showed to be a lil different in this regard later in the match but still lacks the playing maturity to stamp his ideas with authority. Definitely a better showing from my first observation of him during a supposedly "tough" SSFL match).

Although one could see what the coaching staff sought to implement, and did implement (it's unfair to say they cyah coach), I want to see them deliver more than the sufficient. Extra sauce, please. Tweak de sauce too.

What I didn't see from the players was that unscripted solutions were necessary, and from the staff, recognition that too many eggs were being placed in the Keston Julien basket (we were overly reliant on building play through him. That pattern was repetitive and a better team than A&B would have fixed the situation rather than have it endure 90'). Time to demand more of our center mids!

All good though. One was able to figure out the player's (Julien's) deficiencies. Frankly though, I would have preferred to have had that challenge linger into a rematch with Haiti, rather than "get it" versus lesser opposition.

A player who doesn't recognize moments versus weaker opposition is not going to recognize them versus stronger opponents.

The substitutions made indicate we didn't have influence coming off the bench, but rather had more or less the "status quo" coming off the bench. (While ah on that: ah doh know the player well but St. Hillaire adjusted quickly coming off the bench. Could be interesting to see what he has to offer from the start of a match with time to grow as the match grows).

To do it at CONCACAF level, we need to pick a different type of player or select fewer of the current model.

In other words.....we f**ked
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 01, 2016, 01:47:20 PM »
The journey of a 1,000 miles begin with a single step. We took our first baby step by winning our group at the Group Stage in Trinidad. The second step was qualifying for the semifinal in Curacao gaining automatic birth to Concacaf.

Many people will point to losses to Antigua and Barbuda and Bermuda but not having a long view.

I didn't name this topic CFU Group nor CFU Finals, it is named for our goal. While some stay negative I see the progress towards Korea.

We will see who is right in the end but I set a big dream with small step goals along the way. So far these boys have to get ready for step 3.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 02, 2016, 08:04:50 AM »
We have a lot to iron out between now and February.

I have beaten this drum before, but I'll beat it again. We play football too slowly, too ponderously. Seems we either don't have, or are no longer interested in selecting, dynamic players who understand the purpose of going 1 v. 1 and how that piece ought to fit into the collective.

On the other hand, I am convinced that our players have another gear. The sole reason I can come up with for them not shifting, is that it is not demanded of them consistently.

In the U20 football I observe, puzzles can't be solved in slow motion.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 08:17:26 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 02, 2016, 08:23:28 AM »
Seems we either don't have, or are no longer interested in selecting, dynamic players who understand the purpose of going 1 v. 1 and how that piece ought to fit into the collective.
Hart mentioned this same issue in an interview about a year ago.

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 02, 2016, 08:40:13 AM »
The team has some solid 1 v 1 players, unfortunately they were on the bench. The current #10 and #11 are not midfielders that can change gears with feet nor pass, their speed of thought and subsequently play is not adequate for this level at their current positions.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 02, 2016, 12:44:59 PM »
These failures are now too much,it appears that our coaches are not capable of identifying the right players for the job in hand,that being the  case,they are of inferior quality.Since we cannot afford men from Europe as coaches,let's look for men from Africa,their players are in the best leagues in Europe,and that has to be something to do with better coaching.Look for coaches from Nigeria,Ghana,Morocco,Senegal and Ivory Coast.I feel they may not be as expensive,and culturally they could be similar as Trinis.
BACK TO AFRICA

1]; } ?>