March 29, 2024, 07:49:42 AM

Author Topic: Haiti edges T&T to earn Copa America Centenario berth  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Haiti edges T&T to earn Copa America Centenario berth
« on: January 08, 2016, 09:52:28 PM »
Haiti edges T&T to earn Copa America Centenario berth
CONCACAF.com

Second-half substitute Pascal Millien scored in the 83rd minute to lift Haiti to a dramatic 1-0 victory over Trinidad & Tobago and into 2016 Copa America Centenario in a CONCACAF play-in match Friday at the Estadio Rommel Fernandez.

Goalkeeper Steward Ceus produced several key saves to keep the Haitians in the match as he registered a clean sheet.

On the winning goal, Millen delivered a right-wing cross into the penalty area intended for Kervens Belfort. The Turkey-based forward missed on an attempt to get his foot on the ball, which bounced past goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams and rolled just inside the left post.

The Soca Warriors had a few opportunities to take a first-half lead. Haiti goalkeeper Steward Ceus, however, punched away Khaleem Hyland's shot from inside the penalty area in the 17th minute and produced a two-handed save three minutes into first-half stoppage.

Ceus misjudged a corner kick by Hyland in the 19th minute, but Joevin Jones could only get off a shot that traveled wide right of the goal and was cleared by the defense.

The Haitians' did not threaten the T&T net much. In the 28th minute, Jean-Eudes Maurice produced a low, hard shot that Williams handled easily.

In the second half, after some nifty passing around the box, Hyland fired a 12-yard shot that Ceus stopped on the hour mark.

Three minutes later, Haiti’s Soni Mustivar fired his attempt wide right.

Copa America Centenario, which will be held in the United States from June 3-26, will include 16 teams from South America and CONCACAF. 

Panama and Cuba will meet in the second game of the doubleheader for the tournament’s last berth.

Results:

Haiti 1 v T&T 0
Millien 83

Panama 4 v Cuba 0
Gomez 4
Tejada 18
Cooper 52
Perez 89

Cautions

Yellow Cards:

Radanfah Abu Bakr (31’); Soni Mustivar (7’), Jean Alexandre (54’)

Teams

Trinidad and Tobago: 21. Jan-Michael Williams (capt.); 17. Mekeil Williams, 6. Radanfah Abu Bakr, 12. Carlyle Mitchell, 5. Daneil Cyrus, 3. Joevin Jones, 8. Khaleem Hyland, 14. Andre Boucaud, 19. Kevan George (15. Neveal Hackshaw 78’), 23. Lester Peltier, 7. Jonathan Glenn (10. Shahdon Winchester 56’)

Unused: 1. Marvin Phillip, 22. Adrian Foncette, 2. Aubrey David, 18. Yohance Marshall, 13. Cordell Cato, 11. Ataulla Guerra, 20. Trevin Caesar, 9. Rundell Winchester

Coach: Stephen Hart

Haiti: 1. Steward Ceus; 6. Frantz Bertin, 5. Alex Christian, 3. Mechack Jerome, 2. Stephane Lambese, 13. Kevin La France (15. Sebastian Thuriere 52’), 19. Max Hilaire, 14. Soni Mustivar (11. Pascal Millien 56’), 16. Jean Alexandre (capt.), 10. Jean Maurice (18. Judelin Aveska 87’), 9. Kervens Belfort

Unused: 12. Luis Odelus, 4. Kim Jaggy, 7. Sony Norde, 8. Wedson Anselme, 17. Woodenski Cherenfant, 23. Jaafson Origene, 22. Junior Delva, 21. Junior Monuma

Coach: Patrice Neveu

Referee: David Gantar (Canada)

HIGHLIGHTS - T&T vs Haiti

Related News

Haiti eliminates T&T from Copa America Centenario.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

Trinidad and Tobago Senior Men’s Team had their Copa America Centenario hopes dashed after a 1-0 defeat to Haiti in the play-in match at the Estadio Rommel Fernandez in Panama City on Friday night.

A goal in the 84th minute by Kervens Belfort lifted Haiti past the “Soca Warriors” to see them join Panama as the last two teams to qualify for the Copa America after the hosts comfortably got past Cuba 4-0 in the second game of the double header on the evening.

The performance by the Jan-Michael Williams captained outfit was a far cry from the recent string of brighter displays which saw T&T rise into the top 50 teams on the FIFA ranking, as they struggled to take hold of the game.Despite a few proper goalscoring chances on either side of the break, they never managed to really stamp their authority on the affair.

Iceland-based forward Jonathan Glenn got the starting nod in the absence of Kenwyne Jones, who was missing due to club commitments and with Keron Cummings also out of the mix (due to his gunshot wound), Stephen Hart opted for the trio of Andre Boucaud, Kevan George and Khaleem Hyland all occupying the midfield with Lester Peltier on the right and Joevin Jones on the left. Also missing was Willis Plaza, out with a dislocated shoulder, Justin Hoyte through injury and Sheldon Bateau who was not released by his club in Russia. Orlando City midfielder Kevin Molino was also out of the mix as he continues his recovery from ACL surgery, so too Hughtun Hector.

Haiti hardly troubled the T&T side during the opening period of the match but they appeared to be more hungry as the game progressed. Glenn didn’t do much to jostle the Haitian backline except for a run-in to a left side delivery where he saw his effort go over bar but the assistant had raised his flag for offside. Hyland did have couple good tries at goal forcing Haitian custodian Steward Ceus to save.

Haiti lifted their game in the second half as they began believing more. And Williams and his backline were being given more to do to keep them at bay. Williams pulled off a superb save to deny Belfort in a one on one in the 78th.

Substitute Shahdon Winchester, who turned 24 on the day, entered the match and brought some life to the T&T attack. He laid one off for Hyland by the Belgium-based player couldn’t’ get enough on his low effort. Winchester then failed to connect cleanly with a right side delivery by Lester Peltier who made some penetrating runs and was able to get some crosses into the Haitian penalty box.

But Belfort would get the winning touch as he got the slightest of touches on a ball coming in from the right on the near post to elude a hapless Williams in goal.

Mere moments later T&T were unlucky not to get the equalizer when Jones’ left side ball was deflected by Jean-Marc Alexandre but Ceus produced a brilliant one handed save to push it over bar. Boucaud also had a late effort which failed to trouble the ‘keeper.

T&T head coach Stephen Hart described the result as extremely disappointing but did not make excuses for the less than firing display from his team.

“At the end of the day the responsibility lies with me. I am the one responsible for having them mentally, physically, tactically prepared. Tonight we lacked that sort of conviction, we did not penetrate and we didn’t move the ball fast enough,” Hart told TTFA Media.

“Even though we did have some chances it still was not enough to put Haiti under pressure and then to lose on a goal of that nature,. It is a very bitter pill to swallow. We let down the country tonight,” Hart added

“Every game regardless of your opponent, if you don’t do what you are supposed to do in terms of taking charge of the game, managing the game and taking care of the ball and you let the other team begin to get some confidence, anything can happen, especially if you don’t score when you get your opportunities.

“No team dominates for 90 minutes and in your period of domination you have to take your chances because you know the other team is going to get at least one or two chances.

“This is a one off opportunity and this is the ‘sixth’ time we have had the opportunity to qualify for this tournament but we have not and that is the reality of it. Now it’s a matter of clean sheet and fighting in March to get six points (in the two World Cup qualifiers versus St Vincent/Grenadines).

Videos -

Watch Stephen Hart’s Post Match Reactions

Watch Radanfah Abu Bakr’s Reactions

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 04:59:15 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Haiti edges T&T to earn Copa America Centenario berth
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 07:05:17 AM »
I can't understand why the defensive approach in a must win game and especially against a team ranked below us?

Coaches who play like this is more afraid to lose than go for a win.

You have to know your players capabilities.

When you have Kenwyne you can get away with one striker on top, but Glenn can't do the same, he needs someone next to him, this is why he did well with Cummings on the field against Mexico in the 3-3 tie.

Hyland and Boucaud don't seem to play well together either, there is no creativity in their play especially from Hyland. Maybe one could play more wide or maybe they can play together providing we have a creative player around them and not George?

Cyrus is awful, can't understand why Hart puts some much faith into him and Hyland? They are very inconsistent, I say, sure, pick them but don't be afraid to sub them either?

I simple 442 formation would be nice.

Williams
Mekeil
Abu
Mitchell
Marshall
Joevin
Boucaud
George
Cato
Shahdon
Glenn

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 07:34:27 AM »
Midfielders Andre Boucaud, Khaleem Hyland, and Lester Peltier share their thoughts after Trinidad and Tobago’s 1-0 loss to Haiti
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/C9EPiOp51ig" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/C9EPiOp51ig</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 08:23:27 AM »
I can't understand why the defensive approach in a must win game and especially against a team ranked below us?

Coaches who play like this is more afraid to lose than go for a win.

You have to know your players capabilities.

When you have Kenwyne you can get away with one striker on top, but Glenn can't do the same, he needs someone next to him, this is why he did well with Cummings on the field against Mexico in the 3-3 tie.

Hyland and Boucaud don't seem to play well together either, there is no creativity in their play especially from Hyland. Maybe one could play more wide or maybe they can play together providing we have a creative player around them and not George?

Cyrus is awful, can't understand why Hart puts some much faith into him and Hyland? They are very inconsistent, I say, sure, pick them but don't be afraid to sub them either?

I simple 442 formation would be nice.

Williams
Mekeil
Abu
Mitchell
Marshall
Joevin
Boucaud
George
Cato
Shahdon
Glenn

i don't know why people is blaming cyrus when he was nowhere near the play that lead to the goal. Go look at the clip again and you will see that it was hackshaw #15 and carlyle mitchell who goofed on the play. Hacksaw did not close down the payerfast enough allowing the player to put in the cross, and mitchell for defending on the wrong side of the attacker.

As for hyland and boucard playing together well, I guess you wasn't watching the last few games because they played well together, when we beat Guatemala and drew against the usa. We lose the game because we took Haiti lightly, we thought we had it in the bag because of our form of lately.i have to admit, as much as I wanted us to win I'm glad we lose. That would teach us to work harder on our skill and fitness level and quit making basic mistakes like defending on the wrong side of the attacker, that Mitchell left his goalie wide open. real amateur defending on both their part.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 09:43:55 AM »
Not Hart fault, however, I feel we coulda make some changes to raise de intensity a little, losing to a weak team like Haiti really hurts.

De players just had a off game, most of them was horrible, normally, you have one or two players but 95% of the team was bad, they allow Haiti to build confidence and you know how that goes.

I hope we get a game or two even without some of our foreign base before we play St Vincent.

Good luck to the team and coach Hart.

That's how it goes sometimes.

Peltier fight hard and Shahdon looks like he improved a lot, good sign.

It go be nice if de TTFA approach a few players eligible to play for us, I know they have been hesitant, but maybe we could try again, we need some depth for times like his when a few of our stars not there.

Big up T&T, ah know allyuh better than that.

A next long year to look forward to without enough games go feel even longer.

Let's see if the TTFA could organise a few friendlies, teams will look for games, European Cup, Copa America, nuff teams out there go look for games.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:46:10 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 09:49:38 AM »

Good point.

4-4-2 is a nice formation.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 07:56:57 PM »
Cyrus is a boss even though he is playing out off position
We could get more out him in midfield
We did not play like # 1 ranked CFU team and in my view Hart got the starting 11 wrong
Love my coach but I think he owns this one
I cannot see Hyland George and Boucard on the field at the same time,not enough creation there
Glenn is not KJ ...that being said saw somethings I like...we are improving as a team
Look we did not get the right result but I Iove my team

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 08:59:40 PM »

We let a great opportunity for development and exposure slip through our hands with this loss smh

1]; } ?>