April 19, 2024, 08:00:55 PM

Author Topic: 2016 Caribbean Cup  (Read 22526 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Caribbean Cup
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2016, 10:51:56 PM »
Harte, Lashley on target
By Nku Davis, Barbados Today

As the Digicel-sponsored Barbados Football Association’s Premier League wraps up round one, two young men have risen to the top of the heap. Finding the back of the net nine times in eight games both, the 27-year-old Mario Harte of UWI Blackbirds, and the 24-year-old Armando Lashley of Paradise have their eyes set on the golden boot.

With their teams separated by a one-goal goal difference, and by one point on the table, moving into their last games of the first round on Sunday and Tuesday. both young men are eager to separate both themselves and their clubs from the pack. Lashley and third place Paradise will face fifth place Rendezvous on Sunday in a 6 p.m. fixture. While Harte and the second place Blackbirds do battle with eighth place Notre Dame on Tuesday at 9 p.m.

Sporting World caught up with both gentlemen last night at national training in their preparation for the upcoming CFU and their first game against Curacao on 22nd March at home.

What positions and/or roles do you play with your respective clubs?

AL My position is striker and my role is really just to put the ball in the back of the net. If the coach asks for me to play behind the striker, I will play it. Basically I am willing to play anywhere I am asked but my main position is on top.

MH I play forward, I don’t actually play the leading striker. I have more of a role creating goal-scoring opportunities.

How important is it to find the back of the net in the last game of the round?

AL Well a goal will be good because I’ll be in front of Mario (they both chuckle) at least until Tuesday when he plays. But Rendezvous are tough opponents and it won’t be that easy to score… the hardest thing to do is to score, but I still believe that the opportunity will present itself and I intend to grasp it. A win will take us to the top of the table.

MH A goal is always important but I really hope for the win. Even if I don’t score myself maybe I can assist someone else to put the ball past the keeper and we can get the three points.

How did you guys get into football?

AL I started playing from very young, maybe four years of age, plus my dad was also a national footballer so I guess I am just following in his footsteps. Came right through playing for Paradise never played for anyone else. Made my international debut against St. Vincent and I’m still waiting to score my first goal though, but I started from very young and was always into football.

MH I also started very young with my father taking me to play football and I would go watch him. I always played all through primary school and in the community at home until I joined Soccer School, now Pro Shottas, where I started to take my football serious because we would tour to the UK and Florida. It was a really good set up and my football just built from there.

Describe the feelings around goal scoring.

AL Anxiety… I feel very anxious… happy after I have scored and my teammates are rushing to congratulate me, without your teammates you can’t score… its a good feeling.

MH It’s a very good feeling. It honestly relieves a lot of pressure. When you miss you feel really bad. So when you score, a lot of weight lifts off your shoulders. It’s a very relaxing thing for me actually.

What’s been the most memorable experience so far this season?

AL That would have to be when I scored four goals against Belfield… I wouldn’t say it was a hard task but I got opportunities and I took them.

MH It would have to be the game against Rendezvous. They are favourites and we beat them 2-0. I scored the opening goal a left-footer on the volley from just inside the 18. It was a great feeling.

Looking forward to CFU?

MH I just hope the guys can come together and really gel in preparation for the upcoming competition. I have no doubt we can qualify for the next stage… but it won’t be easy. But with everyone on board working hard as a team we can advance.

AL Well, I am working hard to be selected and I think all we have to do is stick together, unity is strength, once the guys go out there and fight for each other I believe we can come out on top.

Barbados will play Curacao first in the CFU, any thoughts?

MH It’s a home game so hopefully we can go out there and play some attractive, attacking football for the fans. We’re looking to score some goals and come out with a win.

AL I wouldn’t say we know much about them… we’ve never faced them before but we are playing at home so we are expected to win…no one is going to come to let us walk all over them but I believe we can come out on top. We have very good players.

Who has been the single influential person in your football career so far?

AL I would have to say my father. He’s been there all along for my entire career. He even coached at Paradise until this season. He coaches at Rendezvous now. But he has been there from the beginning until now.

MH It would have to be my grandmother. She has supported me from the beginning even if it was coming home tired she would always get me something to eat and wash my gear if I dropped to sleep. Up to this day she still does that so it would have to be her.

Recall the most memorable experience representing Barbados as both of you have been doing so from U17.

AL It would have to be Haiti. We didn’t go through, but when we defeated St. Kitts 3-2 no one was expecting us to win as they were favourites.

MH Last year in a friendly against Guyana we were down 2-0 and I scored just before the break to pull one back… it was another left foot finish.

Do you have any advice for the young guys coming through hoping to reach to this level?

AL Always remain positive, hard work pays off, never say you can’t, always think that you can.

MH Stay focused. A lot of our good young players are led astray and go towards the gangster life. It’s so much wasted talent.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:58:33 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2016, 11:25:16 AM »
Hefty overseas presence in Benna Boys Cup squad
By Neto Baptiste, Antigua Observer

A total of 15 overseas-based players have been named in a large 42-member training squad ahead of the senior team’s participation in the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Caribbean Cup slated to kick off next month.

Goalkeeper Brentton Muhammad, defenders Aaron Tumwa, Zaine Francis-Angol, Mahlon Romeo, Quinton Griffith and midfielders Calaum Jahraldo–Martin, Duran Martin, AJ George, Kieran Murtagh, Rhys Browne, Sean DeSilva and Joshua Parker have all been named in the preparatory squad.

Forwards Dexter Blackstock, Dominic Samuel and Nathaniel Jarvis round off the overseas-based selections.

Antigua & Barbuda have been drawn into Group 1 alongside Aruba and St Kitts and Nevis.

The other selected players are goalkeepers Molvin James, Davrick Lockhart, Omari “Spence” Joseph and Randy Akoye Aska.

Also in the line-up are defenders Akeem “Leppy” Thomas, Jamoy Stevens, Karanja Mack, Vashami Allen, Omarie Daniel, Sharman Anthony and Mervyn Hazelwood.

Midfielders Shavon Philip, Randolph “Etty” Burton, Kemoy Alexander, Mickel Phillip, Keiron Richards, Novelle Francis Jr, Tamorley “Ziggy” Thomas, Avier Christian, Eugene Kirwan and Terrel Richards have also made the cut.

The selections are rounder off with forwards Peter “Big Pete” Byers, Hakeem Joseph, Trevaughn “Peter Redz” Harriette, Stefan Smith, Jevorn Stevens and Elvis Thomas.

The Antigua & Barbuda Benna Boys are set to take on Aruba at home on March 23 before travelling to St Kitts to face host and rival St Kitts and Nevis on March 29.

Teams finishing first and second in the group will advance to the next round.

Ten overseas-based players confirmed for CFU
By Neto Baptiste, Antigua Observer

A little more than half of the 15 overseas-based footballers named in a 42-member training squad ahead of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Caribbean Cup, will make it to the final 20-member squad.

This is according to General Secretary of the Antigua & Barbuda Football Association (ABFA), Gordon “Banks” Derrick, who said the final squad could be selected by the middle of the month.

“There were 15 to look at in the pool but he is only bringing 10 and the other 10 will be local. We have to book tickets so by Friday we will know who will be coming. I suspect the final 20 will be selected at least a week before the actual game so that we can submit all the paperwork,” he said.

The Antigua & Barbuda Benna Boys will take on Aruba at home on March 23 before travelling to St Kitts on March 29.

The home game, Derrick said, will be played at the country’s premier sporting venue while fans could have an opportunity to travel to St Kitts for the anticipated showdown.

“We had a very wonderful meeting (on Tuesday) with the Minister of Sports, EP Chet Greene … and he confirmed to me that Sir Viv will be available so the game, Antigua & Barbuda vs Aruba will be at the Sir Vivian Richards stadium on March 23rd and then on the 29th we go to St Kitts,” he said.

Teams finishing first and second in their groups will advance to the next round.

PLEASE NOTE: The first article was released in the last week of February.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2016, 12:05:21 PM »
Raith Rovers’ loan star Harry Panayiotou eyeing dream double
By Neil Robertson, The Courier.

Raith Rovers’ on-loan Leicester striker Harry Panayiotou is daring to dream of a delightful double – the Foxes to win the Premier League and the Kirkcaldy side to make it into the promotion play-offs.

Last week was a notable one for the 21-year-old as he helped Ray McKinnon’s side to back-to-back wins over Livingston and Morton and also received another international call-up for St Kitts for the 2016 Caribbean Cup which takes place from the 26th to the 29th of this month.

Before that, Panayiotou, who made his Raith debut at the start of last month at Stark’s Park against Rangers, is now relishing a trip to the home of the same opponents tonight to play in front of what he hopes is the biggest crowd of his career so far.

He said: “It was a great win on Saturday against Morton and brings us one step closer to the play-offs.

“I am just thankful for the victory and hopefully we can keep going.

“I also got my call-up to St Kitts last week. We have Aruba away and Antigua at home.

“They are two big games but we have a good squad and I think we will qualify.

“I love playing for St Kitts – it is the best feeling in the world playing for your country.

“However, I am not really thinking about that at the moment. I just have to concentrate on playing Rangers.

“I think I did well to be fair when I came on the last time we played them.

“But all the lads are telling me it is a different story when you go to Ibrox. They have told me it is a fantastic atmosphere and that Rangers play off the crowd and pass the ball around a lot.

He added: “However, if we can hit them on the break and hopefully score, then I don’t see why we cannot go there and get a result.

“It is games like this that I want to play in – it is a great experience for me and I am enjoying everything.

“When I was 17, I played for Leicester against Leeds and I think there were 34,000 watching so if there are over 40,000 tomorrow then this will be the most people I have played in front of.

“I just can’t wait.

“My aim is to get into the play-offs with the team and hopefully push for promotion.

“I just want to do well for the fans, for Ray and my team-mates. Raith brought me in and I want to give back to them.

“It would be a dream come true this year if Leicester could win the title and Raith get into the play-offs.”

Panayiotou has yet to open his goals account for Raith but that is in part caused by the fact that he is being deployed in a deeper role.

However, he is confident he will break his duck sooner rather than later.

He said: “I have not scored yet but I am sure it will come – hopefully against Rangers.

“I am an out-and-out striker but I am playing deeper for Raith.

“It is a new thing for me but I like playing as a 10 as I get more of the ball.

“I am touching the ball a lot more than when I am playing as a striker.

“I am not trying to make up excuses but hopefully I will score soon and we will take it from there.”

NOTE: SKN's recent friendlies were against Andorra and Estonia.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2016, 11:11:05 AM »
French Guiana Announces Squad for CFU 2016 Caribbean Cup Group 3
CFU

In what the local officials have dubbed as a tough task, French Guiana will face the likes of Bermuda and Cuba in Group 3. The men from South America last faced Honduras in March 2015 over a two legged CONCACAF Gold Cup playoff where they were defeated (4-3).

The following list of players were called to represent French Guiana:

Donovan Léon (Auxerre),  Simon Falette (Stade Brestois),  Sloan Privat (Guingamp) et Stéphane Privat (Marmande). Jean David Legrand (Trelissac) Gary Marigard et Josué Albert (Quevilly). Kevin Rimane (PSG), Anthony Soubervie (Colmar). Ludovic Baal (Rennes), Loic Baal (Belfort) Roy Contout (club marocain) Gabriel Pigrée (Cap Ferret). Jeannot Apaguy (Grand Santi). Marc Edwige (CSCC), Mar vin Torvic et Alex Eric et Rudy Evens (US Matoury).

Reserves: Thierry Toupouti (Grand Santi), Eric Swamé (Agouado) et Dominique Aouman (USL Montjoly).

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2016, 11:14:44 AM »
Sint Maarten and Martinique win friendlies 
CFU

Dutch Sint Maarten and Anguilla and St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Martinique warmed up for the 2016 CFU Men’s Caribbean Cup with friendlies over the weekend. In the case of the Vincentians, it was preparation for World Cup Qualifiers.

Dutch Sint Maarten, after a decade without competitive action, defeated Anguilla 2-0 on the strength of a quick double from Joost Röben in the 5th and 45th minute.

Martinique, meanwhile, defeated St. Vincent and the Grenadines 4-0. Martinique's goals were scored by Gregory Pastel (2), Stephane Abaul, and Daniel Herelle.

St. Vincent and the Grenadines will now look toward their World Cup Qualifying Campaign match versus Trinidad and Tobago at home on March 25.   

Concerning Caribbean Cup action which kicks off with Round 1 matches on March 23, Dutch Sint Maarten is in Group 2 with Grenada and the United States Virgin Islands; Anguilla is in Group 5 with Guyana and Puerto Rico; and Martinique is in Group 7 with the British Virgin Islands and Dominica. SVG earned a bye to Round 2.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2016, 04:54:36 PM »

Imagine the final round of the 2016 Caribbean Cup will be in 2017.  :D

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2016, 08:26:24 AM »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2016, 11:35:10 AM »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2016, 11:52:29 AM »
Just by chance, about two hours ago, crossed the road to the beach at St. Pierre and saw a man in a warm-up pants blowing ah whistle at some fellas in de water. Pair by pair as he blew, they would swim a few yards. First ah thought, water polo team? Then it him me. Confirmed by the guy with the whistle (the physio). It was Martinique doing recovery work. He said they were getting ready to leave for Dominica.

How I end up in St. Pierre is a story by itself. Yesterday was driving along the east coast. Splendid scenery. On the map we have, the towns seem further apart than they actually are ... so we were making good progress. So good that because it was about 4pm with good daylight left, ah say, lehwe shoot for making it all the way back to Fort-de-France.  We were almost at Grand Riviere (top ah de island).

On the way, we pass ah lush piece of grass and ah say, that place look like a place where sweat does pass. Just a plain patch of grass, eh. No posts, nutten. Just ah vibe.

Had to pull the plug on the getting to Fort-de-France thing when the curves in the road and the precipices were more curvy and precipitous than the earlier heights. Was not a comfortable scene.

So on the way back, ah see youthmen sweating on de patch. Iz ah lil village called Macouba. Patch of grass on one side of de road and a deep ravine with concrete cover on de next side with a breadfruit tree and a mango tree growing below. Pullover and watch for a few minutes. Then parked. Iz a barefoot sweat in progress. Ah geh out de car. Next thing ah in de sweat.

Here me: just a 5 minutes. Steups. Ah sweat wid dem fellas for about ah hour and a quarter!!!

Years ago, ah learn to travel wid boots. This time ah had two pairs of gear. De plan was to give both away (dahis another story). One was ah indoor practically never worn. De other ah red and yellow Mercurial worn only once in a Montreal sweat.

Ah give way de indoors to a Lucian youth named Merky who was in among de Martiniquans. He could rell ball. 18 year old. Attacking mid. Good enough to get ah US education out of his ability. He in Martinique six months. Decide to keep de Mercurials in case ah next sweat pop up elsewhere. Plus it woulda be difficult to pull out a next pair.

Right! Time to go. We decide to cut across de country and spend de night in St. Pierre on the other coast. Getting there? Also not that easy in the rain.

Anyway, wake up dis morning to stroll de beach. All of a sudden, swimmers coming round the cliff and kayakers with dem. Screaming ppl on the top walking along de road. Ah woman in a Bahamas shirt and an afro, confirms is the CARIFTA Open Water swim. Finish line not so far she says. Ah cross back de road to call Miss Lady to see too. We walk dong de beach and dahis when and how ah buck up the Martinique team in the water. Day off to a good start, oui.

Did not see the game yesterday, but was sweating on a patch of green heaven while that was happening. All is well that ends well! Like FIFA says: for the love of the game.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2016, 01:57:44 PM »
Just by chance, about two hours ago, crossed the road to the beach at St. Pierre and saw a man in a warm-up pants blowing ah whistle at some fellas in de water. Pair by pair as he blew, they would swim a few yards. First ah thought, water polo team? Then it him me. Confirmed by the guy with the whistle (the physio). It was Martinique doing recovery work. He said they were getting ready to leave for Dominica.

How I end up in St. Pierre is a story by itself. Yesterday was driving along the east coast. Splendid scenery. On the map we have, the towns seem further apart than they actually are ... so we were making good progress. So good that because it was about 4pm with good daylight left, ah say, lehwe shoot for making it all the way back to Fort-de-France.  We were almost at Grand Riviere (top ah de island).

On the way, we pass ah lush piece of grass and ah say, that place look like a place where sweat does pass. Just a plain patch of grass, eh. No posts, nutten. Just ah vibe.

Had to pull the plug on the getting to Fort-de-France thing when the curves in the road and the precipices were more curvy and precipitous than the earlier heights. Was not a comfortable scene.

So on the way back, ah see youthmen sweating on de patch. Iz ah lil village called Macouba. Patch of grass on one side of de road and a deep ravine with concrete cover on de next side with a breadfruit tree and a mango tree growing below. Pullover and watch for a few minutes. Then parked. Iz a barefoot sweat in progress. Ah geh out de car. Next thing ah in de sweat.

Here me: just a 5 minutes. Steups. Ah sweat wid dem fellas for about ah hour and a quarter!!!

Years ago, ah learn to travel wid boots. This time ah had two pairs of gear. De plan was to give both away (dahis another story). One was ah indoor practically never worn. De other ah red and yellow Mercurial worn only once in a Montreal sweat.

Ah give way de indoors to a Lucian youth named Merky who was in among de Martiniquans. He could rell ball. 18 year old. Attacking mid. Good enough to get ah US education out of his ability. He in Martinique six months. Decide to keep de Mercurials in case ah next sweat pop up elsewhere. Plus it woulda be difficult to pull out a next pair.

Right! Time to go. We decide to cut across de country and spend de night in St. Pierre on the other coast. Getting there? Also not that easy in the rain.

Anyway, wake up dis morning to stroll de beach. All of a sudden, swimmers coming round the cliff and kayakers with dem. Screaming ppl on the top walking along de road. Ah woman in a Bahamas shirt and an afro, confirms is the CARIFTA Open Water swim. Finish line not so far she says. Ah cross back de road to call Miss Lady to see too. We walk dong de beach and dahis when and how ah buck up the Martinique team in the water. Day off to a good start, oui.

Did not see the game yesterday, but was sweating on a patch of green heaven while that was happening. All is well that ends well! Like FIFA says: for the love of the game.

Yuh tell that story like a real boss.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2016, 12:30:29 PM »
As I was flashing out this morning, ran into the Bajan squad in the departure lobby and then again at immigration. They were waiting to board Air Antilles to Santo Domingo.

Couple things caught my attention. First was the youthfulness of the squad and that they are not a tall side. The other thing was their demeanour. Good ambassadors. Turns out several are soldiers. I was told BDF has the most representatives on the squad.

During some kix talk, ah tell dem try not to play any ineligible players dis rounds.  :rotfl: De men laugh and say "look de fella hey". Turns out he was in de small group in conversation with me. Admin error, not player error.

By the way ... On the stature thing: did not recognize Emmerson Boyce. At all! Men say "you know dis man?" Nothing registered. Seemed much bigger on TV. Boyce is a quiet leader. It must be quite the experience for him and the other players ... because it's obvious both sides are finding reward in having him on board.

Side note: Was VERY surprised to see Carib on the in-flight menu for Norwegian. And the ONLY beer at that. Somebody wukkin!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 12:32:43 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2016, 12:48:06 PM »

Yuh tell that story like a real boss.

:beermug:

Forgot to mention the 10 year old. Completely not intimidated by playing with older players. And, he was gehhin tackled like a big man. (And treated like a big man! They sent him dong de ravine after ah shot he hit, crossed de road).

One of the most talented 10 yr olds I've seen. That became crystal clear when he challenged (successfully) a ball that was at the chest height of other players, but for which he had to jump under pressure from two closing players. Natural instincts with formed technique. Player with a future at an academy.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2016, 06:03:19 PM »
Rub it in, bro, rub it in..yuhiz ah blessed fella

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2016, 04:25:55 AM »
Rub it in, bro, rub it in..yuhiz ah blessed fella

May that long continue. :)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2016, 09:21:33 PM »
Results from Tuesday, March 29

Suriname 3 Guadeloupe 2
Dominican Republic 2 Barbados 0 (Barbados, red card 90')
USVI 1 Grenada 2
French Guiana 3 Cuba 0
Dominica 1 Martinique 4
Puerto Rico 0 Guyana 1
St. Kitts and Nevis 1 Antigua and Barbuda 0
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 09:43:27 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2016, 02:20:57 PM »
Q&A with Peter Byers
CONCACAF

For 13 years, Antigua & Barbuda's Peter Byers has been one of the best forwards in the Caribbean.

Since his debut in 2004, Antigua & Barbuda has not only depended on Peter Byers for goals, but also to take the national team to the next competitive level. He has delivered consistently for 13 years, putting the Benna Boys in position to be counted among the Caribbean’s best.

The 31-year-old SAP FC standout has 38 international goals, some of them historic, including one at the United States in a qualifier for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. He has traveled the region at the club level, living a football life.

With Antigua & Barbuda advancing to the second round of 2016/17 Scotiabank CFU Men’s Caribbean Cup, Byers has to more accomplish, such as playing in his first CONCACAF Gold Cup.

He sat down with CONCACAF.com to talk about the past and, more importantly, the future.

If Antigua & Barbuda was to qualify for the 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup, what would it mean to the nation?

Right now we are pushing hard for the Gold Cup. The past few years we’ve been close and a little bit short. This time around we’re going hard and going all out to make it to the Gold Cup.

Antigua & Barbuda seems to be close to joining the elite of Caribbean football.  What needs to be done in order for that to happen?

As you know we’re pushing very hard so that Antigua can become one of the big teams in the Caribbean. We’re doing a lot of work and hopefully in the next few years we’ll be in the top five teams in the Caribbean.

What has been the highlight of your career with the national team?

It’s been very good playing for the national team in the past few years. I’ve really enjoyed it and I really hope I can help Antigua reach the Gold Cup before I finish playing for Antigua. I’d like the kids to look up and see how important it is to take Antigua further.

What has been the highlight of your career at the club level?

The biggest highlight was playing professionally for the (Montreal) Impact. I really enjoyed it. I’ve played in different places all over, but the Montreal Impact was a really nice place for me.

You scored against Joe Public FC for the Montreal Impact in the first-ever CONCACAF Champions League (2008/09).  What do you remember about that goal?

First of all, my dad died before we played Joe Public, so that was a very important goal for me. I cherish that goal and talk about that one, also, because of my dad.

According to FIFA records, you have scored 10 goals in 21 all-time World Cup qualifiers.  What was your most memorable WCQ goal and why?

The goal against the USA (on June 8, 2012). I came off the bench, got my chance and scored a goal. I think that’s one of the biggest goals I ever scored in my life, so it’s one I’ll always remember and talk about.

What motivates you as a player each day?

Football is not an easy sport, so working hard and getting to play places. You have to go there and push yourself and work as hard as you can to make sure you come out on top as a footballer.

If you could play with any player in the history of football, who would it be and why?

I’d want to play with Cristiano Ronaldo because watching Portugal and watching Real Madrid and watching Manchester (United), when he used to play with them, he’s a very good player. So if I get a chance to play with one player, I’d choose to play with him. He’s the guy I look up to all the time.

Has your game as a player changed over the years?  If yes, how?

It’s changed over the years because from playing in Antigua growing up we play a different style to Trinidad. It’s a different style and in Montreal we played a different style. Every country I went to and played, it’s a different game they play, so it helps to get my game better.

What are your future goals in football?

I’m not sure about our next World Cup qualifying, so our goal right now is to get Antigua to the Gold Cup. The Gold Cup will be my World Cup. I can see us playing in that competition. My goal right now is to get Antigua to the Gold Cup and score a few goals.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2016, 07:17:43 AM »
Grenada targets Gold Cup return
CONCACAF

GEORGE’S, Grenada – Of the 24 teams to have participated in the CONCACAF Gold Cup, only seven came from the Caribbean.

Six of those have competed more than once.

Grenada – a country with a population of 111,000 – is among those esteemed sides.

The Spice Boys have missed out on the last two editions of the biennial competition, though, after consecutive appearances in 2009 and 2011.

They want to return in 2017 and are already on the qualifying path.

“It would be a big thing for our country to go back to the Gold Cup,” Grenada midfielder Shane Rennie told CONCACAF.com. “It would be good for younger players to look up to that to work hard and be on the national team.”

Rennie, who played in each of Grenada’s six all-time Gold Cup matches, is hoping to earn the opportunity to compete against CONCACAF’s best once again.

“It was disappointing,” he expressed, when asked about falling short in the 2013 and 2015 qualifying campaigns. “It was kind of heartbreaking not getting there.”

Today, optimism reigns, especially since Grenada went in a perfect 2-0-0 in 2016/17 Scotiabank Men’s Caribbean Cup first-round play, the region’s championship for national teams that doubles as a Gold Cup qualifying tournament.

In March, the Grenadians captured first place in Group 2 with wins over St. Maarten (5-0, home) and the US Virgin Islands (2-1, away).

Rennie credited hard work and teamwork for the confidence-enhancing victories, adding: ”We go out and play all for one, one for all. This team together brings great enjoyment and we just go out and enjoy the game.

“It meant a lot to the team to get a good start within the first two games and looking forward to the next round. Teams here in the Premier League are doing their preparations, so I guess we’re hoping the players will be fit to get ready for the next round.”

As a national team veteran, Rennie is delighted to take a leadership role in the squad and play his part in helping to mold the next generation of players.

“I’ve been in the team quite a while,” the 29-year-old said. “I’m a more experienced player, so (my role is) to talk to the younger ones, encourage them to play because a lot of them look up to me as a senior player. I’m a role model to the young ones.”

In addition to working on and off the training pitch with his teammates, the Paradise FC standout is still producing in the stadia. He scored in both Caribbean Cup games, including the first goal against the US Virgin Islands.

“It’s great scoring for your country,” Rennie stated excitedly. “It’s a great thing to boost your confidence and makes you an important player with the team. I love scoring for my country and contributing to both games. It was nice.”

Grenada returns to Caribbean Cup action on June 1 with a second-round encounter against visiting Puerto Rico. You can bet Rennie will ready. After all, his eyes are on the Gold Cup prize.

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2016, 09:38:09 AM »
so let me get this straight.

T&T are in the 3rd round and will play on October 3rd and 9th 2016 (International Window) and the winner of our 3 team group will advance to the Final Tournament in May 2017 (4 teams from the 4 group winners) .

Therefore sealing qualification to the 2017 Gold Cup once we win our group in October?

One would think that T&T, Jamaica and Haiti will host 3 of the 4 groups in October since we got a bye to that stage..correct?

When will that be confirmed ?

If we get to the HEX it would have been nice to see our October window have top level teams in preparation but we cannot afford to take the CFU qualifiers lightly as Gold Cup 2017 qualification is a MUST.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2016, 09:30:26 AM »
Puerto Rico, Curacao, St. Kitts and Nevis and Martinique win Round 2 Scotiabank CFU Men's Caribbean Cup openers
CFU

ST. JOHN'S, Antigua - The second round of the Scotiabank CFU Men's Caribbean Cup Saw Puerto Rico defeat Grenada from 3 goals, while Curacao, St. Kitts and Nevis and Martinique all registered opening victories.

Martinique 2 - 0 Guadeloupe

Antoine Jean-Baptiste 67' (Mar), Jean-Sylvain Babin 79' (Mar)

In what was dubbed a French island derby, Martinique overcome neighbors Guadeloupe in their opening match. After a goalless first half it was Antoine Jean-Baptiste who broke the deadlock in the 67th minute of play. Jean-Sylvain Babin made it 2-0 in the 79th minute giving Martinique the victory.

Curacao 5 - 2 Guyana

Felitciano Zschusschen 7', 61', 89' (CUW), Gina Van Kessel 42', 63' (CUW),

Sheldon Holder 18' (GUY), Brandon Bereseford 78' (GUY)

Curacao made the home advantage count as they defeated Guyana 5 goals to 2. A hat-trick from Felitciano Zschusschen in the 7th, 61st and 89th minute all but sealed the victory for the Dutch islanders. Gina Van Kessel would also add two goals in the 42nd and 63rd minutes. The Golden Jaguars' goals were scored by Sheldon Holder in the 18th minute and Brandon Bereseford in the 78th minute of play.

St. Kitts and Nevis 1 - 0 Suriname

Harrison Panayiotou 30' (SKN)

St. Kitts and Nevis continued their winning streak in the competition with a 1-0 victory over Suriname in Basseterre St. Kitts. The lone strike came in the first half from Harrison Panayiotou in the 30th minute, which was all the Sugar Boys needed to get past Suriname on the night.

Grenada 3 - 3 Puerto Rico

Shavon John-Brown 3', 28' (GRN),

Peter Ramos 44', 63'(PUR), Manolo Sanchez 89' (PUR)

In what was clearly the match of the night, a visiting Puerto Rico side came from 3 goals down to defeat Grenada in a penalty shootout after extra time. The home team opened the scoring in the 3rd minute with a strike from Shavon John-Brown. Grenada doubled their lead in the 27th minute as John-Brown once again found the back of the net.

The Spice Boys extended their first half lead to 3-0 with a strike from Moron Philip in the 38th minute. Puerto Rico pulled back a goal back in the 44th minute through Peter Romas.

In the second half, Puerto Rico received a penalty kick, which was converted by Ramos in the 62nd minute of play. Manolo Sanchez made it 3-3 in the 88th minute forcing extra time. Puerto Rico prevailed after winning the penalty shootout 4 -3.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2016, 04:44:02 PM »
Puerto Rico Advances While Suriname, Guyana, Guadeloupe and Dominican Republic grab wins on day 2 in the Scotiabank Caribbean Cup
CFU

Day 2 of the Scotiabank CFU Men's Caribbean Cup 2016 saw Puerto Rico advance while Suriname, Guyana, Guadeloupe and Dominican Republic all grabbed wins on the night.

USVI 0 - 7 Guyana

Trayon Bobb 23', Ricky Bascombe 25', Devon Millintone 30', Ricky Bascombe 44', Anthony Abrams 68', Trayon Bobb 74', Anthony Abrams 87'.

We begin in the Virgin Islands where Guyana put seven goals past hosts United States Virgin Islands. Four goals were scored in the first half by Trayon Bobb (23'), Ricky Bascombe, who scored in the 25th and 44th, and Devon Millintone (30'). USVI failed to score in the second half as Guyana added to their tally courtesy Anthony Abrams (68'), Trayon Bobb, who converted his second in the 74th minute. Abrams closed the scoring in the 87th minute, ending the match 7 - 0.

Suriname 2 - 1 St. Vincent and The Grenadines

Mitchell Kisoor 85' (SUR), Melvin Valigs 90 + 4 (SUR) Myron Samuel 71' (VIN)

Suriname rebounded from their Round 2 Day 1 defeat to come from behind to defeat St. Vincent and the Grenadines. It was in the second half that Myron Samuel made it 1-0 in favour of St. Vincent and the Grenadines. But a late goal from Mitchell Kisoor in the 85 minute put Suriname on the scoreboard. Melvin Valigs then scored the winning goal for Suriname deep into stoppage time.

Bermuda 0 - 1 Dominican Republic

(Jonathon Frias 27' DOM)

The Dominican Republic grabbed three points from Bermuda in hard fought 1 - 0 match at the National Sports Centre in Bermuda. Jonathon Frias scored the only goal of the match in the 27th minute to give the Dominican Republic victory on the night.

Puerto Rico 2 - 1 Antigua and Barbuda

Hector Ramos 6', 90 +25' (PUR) Dexter Blackstock 35' (ANT)

Puerto Rico advanced to the next round by defeating a visiting Antigua and Barbuda team. Hector Ramos gave the hosts the early lead in the 6th minute. Antigua and Barbuda equalized through a strike from Dexter Blackstock in the 35th minute, ending the first half 1 - 1. The score remained the same after regulation time, and then it was Ramos again. He scored his second of the night 25 minutes into extra time, giving Puerto Rico the 2 -1 victory. It was Puerto Rico's second Round 2 win. The team defeated Grenada 4-3 in a penalty shootout after the sides were deadlocked 3-3 at the end of regulation time on opening day.

Guadeloupe 2 - 1 Dominica Elbert

Anatoue 23', Gilles Dan 64', (GUA) Julian Wade 41' (DOM)

Dominica went down 2 - 1 to Guadeloupe with Elbert Anatoue scoring in the 23rd and Gilles Dan in the 64th for Guadeloupe. Julian Wade netted Dominica's only goal in the 41st minute of play.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 04:46:37 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2016, 04:51:23 PM »
Grenada targets rebound at Antigua & Barbuda
CFU

ST. GEORGE’S, Grenada -- It all started so positively for Grenada on Wednesday.

The Spice Boys had a two-goal lead on Puerto Rico inside of 30 minutes and a three-goal advantage eight minutes later in the 2016/17 Scotiabank CFU Men’s Caribbean Cup second-round opener at the Grenada Athletics Stadium.

Hector Ramos then pulled one back for the visitors from the penalty spot one minute before halftime and the game changed when the teams emerged from the locker room as Grenada conceded twice more. Olvin Ortiz equalized with two minutes left in normal time and then Puerto Rico gained all three points, ultimately winning on penalty kicks, 4-3.

“In the first half we created, we scored the three goals and just before the half we conceded a goal,” said Grenada head coach Andrew Munro. “In the second half, we didn’t stick to our game plan. We lost our concentration and allowed them to come back and equalize the game.”

It was a bitter pill to swallow, as well as a harsh lesson learned.

“It’s tough that we lost, but we lost our concentration for a long period,” Munro remarked. “We have to learn to play for 90 minutes. Sometimes we played well and sometimes we didn’t, but we have to concentrate and play the game for 90 minutes.”

Shavon John-Brown scored the opening two goals for Grenada. The 21-year-old forward, who competes for Bryant & Stratton College in Syracuse, New York, is one part of a promising young group that includes Goshen College’s defender/midfielder Ethan Francois-Ravalier and midfielder Chad Mark of local side Boca Juniors.

“He’s a good young player,” Munro said of John-Brown. “He scored two goals for us. He’s one of our young, talented players. He still needs to concentrate more, but the whole team does.”

While Munro still rues the home setback to Puerto Rico, preparations for a June 7 encounter at Antigua & Barbuda are in full swing.

“We have to concentrate for 90 minutes, have confidence and play for the 90 minutes instead of panic,” finished Munro. “We have to go there and play our football for more than one half. We have to play both halves with high intensity.”

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2016, 04:00:39 PM »
St. Kitts and Nevis defeated SVG today. 1-0. The match was played in Vincy.

Minutes ago, Dominican Republic, playing at home, defeated French Guiana by a margin of 2-1.

Kicking off at 7pm TT time: Dominica-Martinique.

At 7:30pm: Antigua and Barbuda-Grenada.

At 8:00pm: Curacao-USVI.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 04:04:41 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2016, 06:09:20 PM »

Minutes ago, Dominican Republic, playing at home, defeated French Guiana by a margin of 2-1.

Appreciate the updates breds  :beermug:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2016, 06:18:05 PM »

Appreciate the updates breds  :beermug:

:beermug:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2016, 07:10:02 PM »
'4' seems to be the magic number. Martinique dispatched Dominica 4-0 and at half time Curacao went to the dressing room leading 4-0. The second half just started.

At 82' Antigua and Barbuda lead Grenada 4-1. 5-1 final.

Now Curacao 5-0. 6-0.

EDIT: 7-0 final.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 08:04:29 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2016, 07:27:35 PM »
Look how Antigua and Barbuda doh have a Pro League but din waste time with Grenada. :devil:

Before allyuh get too excited, consider Grenada was playing away.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2016, 12:19:31 AM »
Look how Antigua and Barbuda doh have a Pro League but din waste time with Grenada. :devil:

Isn't the majority of A&B's team comprised of UK based players?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2016, 03:57:58 AM »

Isn't the majority of A&B's team comprised of UK based players?

Dahis precisely at de heart of de mischief. Lil Antigua, since the dismantling of the squad they had in de USL, have found their "formula". Not a novel one but with a particularly high foreign presence for their population size.

Ah mean, how large is the Antiguan diaspora? I can't imagine it's larger than ours in the UK. 

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2016, 05:38:57 AM »
Are you suggesting that we make our team of majority diasporans?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2016, 06:07:41 AM »
Wondering a couple things:

* Proportionally, where de other Hoytes, Boucauds and Bostocks? Is our UK well shallow or can we be more discriminating because of the Pro League product?
* Where would the Pro League lie in the ladder of English football? Not structurally, but in terms of compatible player quality. Honestly.

In SH's first Caribbean Cup ... may be mistaken, but I recall that being the one hosted in Antigua ... I doh recall the Benna Boys having a squad tilted the way it is now. What did they do, put up flyers? :devil:

Edit: thinking it wasn't SH, but Barber. Anyhow, de one in Antigua ...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:14:15 AM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>