March 28, 2024, 10:48:50 PM

Author Topic: 2016 Caribbean Cup  (Read 22377 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Benna Boys out of playoffs
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2016, 08:28:50 AM »
Benna Boys out of playoffs
By Neto Baptiste (Antigua Observer)

Haiti have been given the nod ahead of the Antigua & Barbuda Benna Boys as the best second place finisher and will advance to a three-team round-robin playoff in the finals of the Caribbean Football Union’s (CFU) Caribbean Cup in 2017.

Confirmation came from the CFU General Secretary Neil Cochrane, who said the decision was handed down this week.

“The executive committee of the Caribbean Football Union [has] made a final decision [in] the matter pertaining to the final spot for the best second place finisher of the group to join the fifth place playoff teams in Trinidad & Tobago and Suriname, and that decision is that Haiti will qualify for that third spot,” he said.

Last week, the CFU had first announced Antigua & Barbuda alongside T&T and Suriname as the three teams making up the group before announcing that Haiti would take Antigua & Barbuda’s place owing to a miscalculation on the part of the CFU’s competitions committee.

The Antigua & Barbuda Football Association (ABFA) had then appealed the ruling after which the CFU put a committee in place to review the decision.

According to Cochrane, the ABFA and all other interested parties have been notified of the committee’s finding and what it means for each.

“The decision basically confirms that the application of the rule was appropriate in so far as the second go-around and not the first or actual application so, yes, we are confirming that Haiti has been given the nod to proceed as the third team and they will proceed to the playoffs which will proceed in January,” he said.

The winner from the playoff round of the CFU competition will challenge the fifth placed UNCAF team for the coveted Gold Cup.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Caribbean Cup
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2016, 10:27:19 AM »
And whom might that UNCAF team be?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2016, 12:31:01 PM »
And whom might that UNCAF team be?

We wouldn't know until the completion of the 2017 Copa Centroamericana tournament which runs from January 17-28.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2016, 08:15:11 AM »
Bascome back in Bermuda fold
By Lawrence Trott, Royal Gazette.

Andrew Bascome has decided against stepping down as Bermuda coach and will lead the team against Canada in a friendly match at the National Stadium next month. A frustrated Bascome said he would be quitting his post after Bermuda were eliminated from the Scotiabank Caribbean Cup after losing a second-round match 3-0 to French Guiana in Cayenne in June. It is understood that Bascome reconsidered his position after talks with Maurice Lowe, the Bermuda Football Association technical development director, although it is unknown whether he has committed himself for the next cycle of World Cup qualifying and Caribbean Cup tournaments. Bermuda take on Canada on January 22.

Mark Wade, the BFA president, said he has long been an admirer of Bascome’s coaching qualities and is delighted that he has decided to continue. “Maurice had some conversations with Andrew immediately when he returned from French Guiana and those discussions were obviously productive and Andrew has decided he will continue,” said Wade, who replaced Larry Mussenden as president in September.

“The story itself was garnered from Andrew while he was still abroad and he expressed some frustrations then.

“We’re just happy that Maurice has been able to deal with it very quickly.

“I’ve always been an admirer of Andrew, both as a player and a coach, and I think he brings the right approach to what we’re trying to accomplish.

“Hopefully we can build on the successes that we did have and get ourselves geared and ready for 2018 when we should be playing in the Caribbean Cup.”

Bascome informed the The Royal Gazette of his decision to quit soon after his team’s disappointing loss to French Guiana — a rearranged match after the first game between the two sides was abandoned because of torrential rain, with Bermuda leading 1-0.

Bascome said it was time for a “younger man” to take charge and to prepare the team for the 2022 World Cup qualifiers.

“It’s time for someone else now,” Bascome said in June. “I was brought in four years ago to prepare the team for this competition and I’m satisfied that I’ve done my best.

“It’s been a great experience, I’ve travelled to countries I never thought I would see, and I’m grateful to the BFA for giving me that opportunity.”

Another factor behind Bascome’s initial decision to relinquish his coaching duties was his growing annoyance at being detained at US Customs and Border Protection whenever he leaves the island.

Bascome has to obtain a waiver to travel to the United States after being charged with possession of a small amount of cannabis about 20 years ago.

“The travelling has become very difficult for me, as I get pulled over by customs every time I leave the island,” Bascome said.

Bermuda’s match against Canada could signal a new dawn for the national team programme, with the island’s under-20 side competing in the Concacaf Championship in Costa Rica in February. Kyle Lightbourne’s team have been pitted against the host country, El Salvador and Trinidad and Tobago in group C.

Wade hinted that the Canada match could serve as exposure for some of the under-20 players before the Concacaf Championship — a competition Bermuda qualified for after finishing runners-up in their group at the Caribbean Football Union Championship in Curaçao in October.

“I don’t want to speak out of turn but we may see some of the under-20 players getting some senior experience,” he said.

“There are youngsters out there who have had a taste of international football at the senior level and are still hungry for it.

“We’re looking forward to the match against Canada; it’s something that has been in the works for a long time.

“For one reason or another it hasn’t come off in previous years, but there’s always been a desire for us to play Canada.

“Their schedule is very tight, the MLS season is over and they will be having a training camp and will pop over to Bermuda for the match and go back to the camp.

“Some of their players will want some time off before they go back into MLS pre-season, which will be in February.

“We were only able get the one match, but it will be an invaluable experience for all of our players.”

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2017, 08:44:50 PM »
Well if last year someone had said to me Curacao will be the next Caribbean Football Champs I would have never believed.

Congrats to Curacao on winning the 2016 title in 2017  :beermug:  :D   

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2017, 08:59:13 PM »
Well if last year someone had said to me Curacao will be the next Caribbean Football Champs I would have never believed.

I knew they would be in the final. . To be quite honest, I watched them play Canada and they struggled. From what I seen, they can't beat we. If we were in the GC, we would show them..

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2017, 04:52:41 AM »

I knew they would be in the final. . To be quite honest, I watched them play Canada and they struggled. From what I seen, they can't beat we. If we were in the GC, we would show them..

We could not beat Grenada, so I won't be so confident. Anyway like you said 'if' we were in the GC, but we not.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2017, 10:27:39 AM »

We could not beat Grenada, so I won't be so confident. Anyway like you said 'if' we were in the GC, but we not.

You mean Martinique? We play Grenada with a B team.

Curacao never look good at all when they play Canada. Trust me Sando we team that play the Ticos the other day would have taken care of Curacao.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2017, 12:51:37 PM »
Too many 'if' 'but' and maybe' when it comes to TnT football. Oh we did not beat Grenada because it was the B team. If we had all our players we could beat Martinique. THe A team just had a bad game against Haiti so we miss out on Copa. It was the C team fault for us not being good enough to get out of a poor quality Caribbean football region to qualify for the HC. Excuses after excuses. A, B, C, D the alphabet continue

1]; } ?>