April 18, 2024, 07:35:03 PM

Author Topic: Terrorists News Thread  (Read 20319 times)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: terror plot at JFK
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2007, 03:39:41 PM »
I do not think that these men or any other citizens of the T&T should be extridited for crimes ALLEGEDLY committed in T&T.
The case of the Baliram Maraj murder is another one that I'm furious about. A US citizen killed in Trinidad and Trinidadian citizens are now being tried in US courts. Absolute Bullshit.
These are the kind of jokey arrangements our governments enter into. In effect we have given the US the power to arrest our own citizens. 
BTW do they have any evidence at all ?
fully agree

but ever since the second world war dem feel that day is de World Police, but is not for the country's benefit but for the benefit of the USA economy, eh
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2007, 11:02:45 AM »
Another thing I am sure NSA (National Scecurity Agency) FBI, CIA are montioring all internet traffic including this forum as it pertains to Trinidad and Tobago.
We seem to be in the news quite often this year  :-[
nah boy..what you saying.  Yuh could post anyting yuh want and say anyting yuh want on here bout anyting and anybody.  Yuh didn't know dat?  Yuh safe man.  Doh worry.
i would believe walker oui
dem yankees nose up in everyting ;)

nose or eyes??

Buh wha de ass is dis! How de hell dat man manage to sitick his finger up his nostril and get it to come up through his eye?

That picture almost grossed me out.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2007, 01:06:54 PM »

Buh wha de ass is dis! How de hell dat man manage to sitick his finger up his nostril and get it to come up through his eye?

He used an ancient technique originally mastered by Western gurus...he used Photoshop.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2007, 02:12:51 PM »

He used an ancient technique originally mastered by Western gurus...he used Photoshop.

but de overarching question really is:  Did he use a Mac of a PC?
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2007, 04:12:56 PM »
I do not think that these men or any other citizens of the T&T should be extridited for crimes ALLEGEDLY committed in T&T.

The case of the Baliram Maraj murder is another one that I'm furious about. A US citizen killed in Trinidad and Trinidadian citizens are now being tried in US courts. Absolute Bullshit.

These are the kind of jokey arrangements our governments enter into. In effect we have given the US the power to arrest our own citizens. 

Initially I had tend to agree with your sentiment but after observing the speedy and competent judicial proceedings for our crooks sent abroad I decide all we doing is outsourcing criminal prosecution for free.  Ah mean look the Piarco case in Miami wrap up long days and we still in preliminary enquiry for YEARS now.
Ideally we do this ourselves but right now it is benefiting us and nobody's rights are being infringed upon IMO (this case excepted).  Just remember other than this particular group the US is not demanding we send them ......more so we are very happy to send them to spend the $ on prosecution.  I thinking more about the kidnapping, corruption and trafficking cases that went this way where if it was done home......well the facts there to see.  Our resources spread thin now.  Extradition works both ways too so some time in the future we may very well be sending for a US citizen to face charges home....drugs or rape or something.  If they refuse without reasonable grounds then we can always revisit the agreement.

This particular case I eh too sure about because really and truly is a jokey case and the US will not hesitate to string them up regardless.  So I not too sure with the extradition ruling for this one based on the evidence but the others...ship dem out.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2007, 05:14:16 PM »

Initially I had tend to agree with your sentiment but after observing the speedy and competent judicial proceedings for our crooks sent abroad I decide all we doing is outsourcing criminal prosecution for free.  Ah mean look the Piarco case in Miami wrap up long days and we still in preliminary enquiry for YEARS now.
Ideally we do this ourselves but right now it is benefiting us and nobody's rights are being infringed upon IMO (this case excepted).  Just remember other than this particular group the US is not demanding we send them ......more so we are very happy to send them to spend the $ on prosecution.  I thinking more about the kidnapping, corruption and trafficking cases that went this way where if it was done home......well the facts there to see.  Our resources spread thin now.  Extradition works both ways too so some time in the future we may very well be sending for a US citizen to face charges home....drugs or rape or something.  If they refuse without reasonable grounds then we can always revisit the agreement.

This particular case I eh too sure about because really and truly is a jokey case and the US will not hesitate to string them up regardless.  So I not too sure with the extradition ruling for this one based on the evidence but the others...ship dem out.
The Bureaucratic hell-hole that is the Trinidad and Tobago Judiciary does not accrue justice on time or accurately on many cases. Be that as it may, as a matter of principle I am opposed to the manner in which the extraditions I named are  have taken place and particularly that of JFK suspect Kareem Ibrahim(a citizen of T&T).

The US record in treatment of terror suspects is less than sterling and our government is willing to send this man away so easily it's not even funny. 

I agree that extradition can be mutually beneficial and do not decry extradition in and of itself. However I believe that US  may use this arrangement to the detriment of our citizens and others  in the region. Especially in these times. 

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2007, 02:44:02 AM »
Cocoapanyol:
nah boy..what you saying.  Yuh could post anyting yuh want and say anyting yuh want on here bout anyting and anybody.  Yuh didn't know dat?  Yuh safe man.  Doh worry.

Yuh see this post? This is a BIG post.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2007, 02:54:59 AM »
With respect to the comments regarding the exportation of criminal prosecution and the efficiency of the delivery of justice ... it's one matter to have swift deliberations and quite another to have questionable outcomes. Also, what may appear to be expedient today may down the road be precedent-setting to the detriment of the short-sighted.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2007, 03:33:53 AM »
And look what's the editorial in today's Guardian (brought on I suspect in reaction to the recent outburst at prosecutorial delay coming out of the Vishna Coolman case):

Repairing criminal justice sysyem

The recent trial and sentencing in the US court system of Trinidadian David Mitchell, for the rape and murder of an American woman, is only the most recent example of expedition in the criminal justice system there, compared to the seemingly interminable period it takes to even get a matter off the ground here in Trinidad.

Mitchell was extradited to the US last September and this week a Nevada court found him guilty, sentenced him and more than likely that is to be the final word on the case. It is unlikely that there will be a long drawn-out appeal on technical grounds with the man being freed on some technicality or the other.

There are many other examples, none more prominent than in the Piarco Airport corruption matters. A few American kingpins in the racket have been sentenced by the Florida courts, while the preliminary inquiry here is coming to an end after more than five years—preliminary meaning that the matters can take another five years in the system if they are referred to the higher courts, including the British Privy Council.

Other matters involving politicians and high office holders are limping through the system with no end in sight. Then there are people languishing in jail and others outside making years of trips to and from the court.

Is it that the American system, with undoubtedly greater resources, is more efficient than ours?

Is it that in the system we operate here, adopted and adapted from the British, allows accused persons a higher standard of justice, one allowing resort to levels of privilege for accused persons and highly-paid lawyers to circumvent and frustrate the system of justice?

Is it that the Government here is not allocating sufficient resources to the judiciary for court houses, internal and modern infrastructure, more magistrates and judges and other judicial and administrative staff required to create a more efficient system?

Is it too that the laws and structure of the judicial system are in need of modernisation, continuing as they do to provide safeguards but making it far more possible for matters to be speedily determined one way or the other?

Is it that our lawyers here are so exploitative of the system that they are forever finding ways to wring delays with the ultimate objective of frustrating justice in order to protect their clients?

One suspects there is a measure of trutah (sic) in all of these questions and more. But while there is insufficient attention, including serious thought, being given to reforming the system, there is this insidious eating-away at the credibility of criminal justice.

Recently with the application of the New Rules of the Supreme Court, the national community was told that matters would only come to court when they were ready to be proceeded with, but still in the Magistrates Courts accused persons, their lawyers and complainants make trips and trips before matters could be started.

We were also told that soon enough there would be video hearings inside the prisons to avoid the trips back and forth. That too seems a long way from happening.

Above and beyond the frustrations and erosion of the credibility of the system is the reality that the longer it takes to make decisive inroads into bringing repair and reform to criminal justice, the greater the rust to the structural members of the entire system and the more the likelihood of a total collapse.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 03:36:04 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
JFK bomb plot accused to challenge extradition
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2007, 06:09:19 AM »
JFK bomb plot accused to challenge extradition
By Imran Ali

The three men wanted in the United States for an alleged plot to blow up the JFK Airport in New York will have their challenge to extradition orders against them heard in December.

Attorneys representing Trinidadian Abdul Kareem Ibrahiim and Guyanese nationals Abdel Nur and Abdul Kadir appeared before Justice Nolan Bereaux at the Port of Spain High Court yesterday for a case management conference.

State attorney David West, who heads the Central Authority Department in the Ministry of the Attorney General, appeared for the Commissioner of Prisons in the case, and announced that the State had hired British Queen's Counsel James Lewis to defend the extradition orders.

The Prisons Commissioner has been named as the respondent in the habeas corpus applications, which were filed on August 20-two weeks after Chief Magistrate Sherman McNicolls ordered that they be extradited. Those orders have been stayed pending the determination of the applications.

Justice Bereaux fixed December 10 and 14 as the trial dates, and also set deadlines for the filing of affidavits and legal submissions.

Ibrahiim, 62, of Cane Farm, Tacarigua; 57-year-old Nur; and Kadir, 56, are wanted in the United States on terrorism charges, relating to an allegation that they conspired with Russell de Freitas-a Guayanese-born US resident who worked at the JFK airport-to detonate bombs to ignite fuel stores at the airport.

The three men are being represented by Fyard Hosein SC and attorneys Rajiv Persad, Farid Scoon, Rishi Dass, Richard Clarke-Wills and Sean Fulchan.

Kadir is a former member of the Guyanese parliament.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2007, 07:27:14 AM »
3 chupid old friggin goat with ah proposterous plan.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2007, 10:36:07 AM »
3 chupid old friggin goat with ah proposterous plan.
...and likely the jury will see it as just that.  I doh even know why allyuh eating up allyuh self so, is not like their conviction is a done deal.  Allyuh could get vex with the prosecution all allyuh want but the people only doing their jobs.  In the US men doh play,  you doh just part yuh lips and bump yuh gum making threats left and right...words have consequences.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Guyanese pleads guilty in NY terror plot
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2010, 04:18:53 AM »
T&T Express

One of four men accused of plotting to kill thousands and cause an economic catastrophe by blowing up John F Kennedy International Airport pleaded guilty to a lesser charge yesterday.

Abdel Nur, of Guyana, who was extradited to the United States from Guyana to face the charges, appeared before US District Judge Dora Irizarry in New York with a grizzled beard and white shirt provided to him by the government.

He spoke in halting English. He admitted that he provided material support to terrorists, a charge that was not in the original indictment against him. The lesser charge spares him a possible life sentence. Instead, he now faces up to 15 years in prison.

Nur admitted he told co-defendants Trinidadian Kareem Ibrahim, Guyanese Abdul Kadir and American Russell Defreitas that he would provide them with protection and guidance on a trip to Trinidad and Tobago in May 2007 to buy supplies.

Nur read from a prepared statement before the judge: ’I provided guidance in order to assist them in their plan to attack the fuel line at JFK airport to cause major economic harm to the United States.

’I became aware that individuals who I had known... were developing a plan that had as its goal the use of an explosive device or material to destroy or extremely damage fuel tanks or fuel pipelines at the John F Kennedy International Airport.’

The goal was to ’cause major economic loss in the United States’, he added.

Nur said he helped the men, who included a US informant, reach Trinidad and Tobago in May 2007. There he provided them with protection and assistance in full knowledge of their goals.

The four had been charged with conspiracy.

The trial for Kadir, 58, a former member of Parliament in Guyana, and Defreitas is scheduled to begin today before a Brooklyn District Court judge. Ibrahim’s case was severed after he went on a hunger strike in prison and became ill. It was unclear when he would be tried.

An indictment unsealed in 2007 said the men hoped to ’cause greater destruction than in the September 11 attacks’ by using explosives to ignite a fuel pipeline feeding JFK and to destroy the airport and parts of Queens, where the line runs underground. Defreitas, the suspected head of the operation and the only US citizen, worked at JFK as a cargo handler and retired in 1995.

The plot, which the men code-named Chicken Farm, never got past the planning stages, United States authorities said.

-New York Post, Fox News
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: Guyanese pleads guilty in NY terror plot
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2010, 07:38:36 AM »
I still feel these men get set up. These old men was never a serious threat, they was mouth murderers.

Is the mole who construct the whole plot and these men just went along for the ride. Yes they was stupid to take the chain up from the informant and delve into the rhetoric, but i feel they get set up as part of a bigger plan to keep them orange alerts going.. just my personal opinion.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2010, 08:54:43 AM »
is mad scheme like this that make dept of homeland security look like it was a necessary addition to the fed govt. thank prez. bush for his foresight. god bless america.

steups
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 09:01:01 AM by ribbit »

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2010, 11:19:55 AM »
T&T Express

The plot, which the men code-named Chicken Farm, never got past the planning stages, United States authorities said.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
New York airport terrorism suspect convicted in bombing plot
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2011, 07:41:46 PM »
New York airport terrorism suspect convicted in bombing plot
sfgate.com

A New York terrorism suspect was found guilty of participating in a failed plot to blow up John F. Kennedy International Airport.

Kareem Ibrahim, 65, of Trinidad, was convicted today by a federal jury in Brooklyn, New York. Prosecutors accused Ibrahim of joining the plan in May 2007 and of convincing the plotters to seek financial and logistical assistance from Iran. The scheme was foiled in its planning stages with the aid of a government informant who infiltrated the group and recorded its conversations.

"The defendant in this case was caught red-handed, captured on tape committing the very crimes with which he is charged," Assistant U.S. Attorney Marshall Miller told jurors in his closing argument on May 24. "Kareem Ibrahim agreed to join the plot to attack JFK Airport."

The attacks, hatched by Russell Defreitas, a former cargo worker at the airport, were designed to blow up fuel lines and tanks and, ultimately, "the whole of Kennedy," Defreitas said in a recorded conversation. Three men, including Defreitas, have already been sentenced in the case. Ibrahim's trial, presided over by U.S. District Judge Dora Irizarry, began with opening statements May 10.

Ibrahim, an imam and leader of the Shiite Muslim community in Trinidad and Tobago, is scheduled to be sentenced on Oct. 21. He faces life in prison.

Other Plotters

"We're going to be thinking about the appropriateness of an appeal," Michael Hueston, a lawyer for Ibrahim, said after the verdict.

Defreitas, 67, a U.S. citizen and native of Guyana, and Abdul Kadir, 59, a former member of Guyana's parliament, were sentenced to life in prison after a jury convicted them in August. Abdel Nur, 61, a Guyanese citizen who pleaded guilty on the eve of last year's trial, was sentenced to 15 years. The informant, Steven Francis, testified at both trials.

Ibrahim, who was slated to be tried last year with the others, was granted a separate proceeding due to a medical condition.

"I just went along and hoped it would fizzle out," Ibrahim testified at his trial on May 23. "It wasn't my intention to further the plot."

Become Martyrs

Ibrahim admitted on cross-examination that he told Defreitas they would have to blow up the airport's control tower and that the attackers must be prepared to become martyrs by dying while carrying out the plan.

The plot members sought support from Abu Bakr, leader of the group Jamaat Al Muslimeen, or JAM, which had staged a 1990 coup attempt in Trinidad that resulted in two dozen deaths, according to prosecutors.

They hoped to get help either from JAM directly or by JAM introducing them to Adnan G. El Shukrijumah, according to prosecutors. Shukrijumah is wanted in connection with possible terrorist threats against the U.S. and is a member of al-Qaeda, the Muslim terrorist group formerly led by Osama bin Laden, according to court papers.

Ibrahim convinced the JFK plotters to approach revolutionary leaders in Iran instead of using JAM because Bakr had recently been criminally charged in Trinidad, according to prosecutors in the office of U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch in Brooklyn.

Kadir, who was a friend of Ibrahim, was arrested on a plane en route to Iran.

'Right Hands'

Defreitas, in a meeting with Ibrahim present, compared the scheme to the Sept. 11 attacks, and said, "Even the Twin Towers can't touch it," according to the complaint. "This can destroy the economy of America for some time if it falls into the right hands."

"In pursuit of a radical terrorist agenda, bent on the destruction of John F. Kennedy Airport and the murder of innocent civilians, Imam Kareem Ibrahim abandoned the true tenets of his religion," Lynch, the federal prosecutor, said in a statement today.

The case is U.S. v. Defreitas, 07-cr-00543, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York (Brooklyn).

--With assistance from Tiffany Kary in Brooklyn, New York. Editors: Mary Romano, Andrew Dunn
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Terror plot at JFK
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2011, 02:15:56 PM »
Time REAL fly dey boy

I cah beleive is 4 whole years ago this story buss....more surprisingly is that they swirl all dem fellahs down de drain
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2011, 02:22:53 PM »
Time REAL fly dey boy

I cah beleive is 4 whole years ago this story buss....more surprisingly is that they swirl all dem fellahs down de drain

lol

remember this?

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=28314.0

meheknowuhdemuddercontdoeswrongwitallyuhatall
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2011, 11:16:57 AM »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Terrorists in T&T Thread
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2015, 04:03:07 AM »
TT ‘shipping zone’ for terrorists
By Andre Bagoo (Newsday)
Friday, April 10 2015

TRINIDAD and Tobago is effectively a “trans-shipment” zone for persons being recruited to become terrorists, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar said yesterday prior to a meeting in Jamaica of Caricom leaders and the United States President, Barack Obama where security matters were addressed.

“We are very concerned and we will do all we can to work in partnerships to deal with narco trafficking, transnational organised crime, which is human trafficking and trafficking in arms, and trafficking in drugs,” Persad-Bissesar said in a statement issued by the Office of the Prime Minister. “Now there is another serious threat to the region and that has to do with the threats coming from the terrorist groups in the Middle East.”

The Prime Minister noted it was Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica who co-sponsored the United Nations (UN) resolution last September, in New York, to deal with threats in the Middle East.

“You may have seen the latest UN report and others reports coming in where Trinidad and Tobago, and the region, are being identified as an area from which persons are moving to fight in those terrorist areas,” Persad-Bissessar said. “For those of us who signed on to the resolution, it gives us great benefits and help in the fight against terrorism, because one, nationals may be leaving to go, there are others who are coming from other parts of the region and passing through Trinidad and Tobago as a trans-shipment, if you like.” The chairman of the National Security Council stated the problem had components.

“One part is that people are actually going, the more dangerous and equally dangerous is if they are returning, having been there, and having been training and exposed,” she said. Persad-Bissessar said the UN measure provided more protection through calling for pooling of resources. “Having signed on to that resolution, we have a little more protection, because of the cooperation and partnership that would have taken place relating to the sharing of information, sharing of intelligence, that comes on a global scale,” she said. “Should such persons attempt to re-enter, we may have greater knowledge or forewarning of such re-entries.”

The Prime Minister, the lead Caricom head for crime and security, said her concern was not just for Trinidad and Tobago but the region. “At the last Caricom Heads, I raised the issue very seriously,” Persad-Bissessar said. “Heads did take it on, some may feel it is not for their specific country at this time, but that is a threat it is facing the world.”

The Prime Minister said small nation states with porous borders must be weary. “And who are we, as small nation states, where our borders are porous, that is why narco-trafficking happens so often in our region,” she said. “It is important that we band together, and Caricom has made those decisions that we would work and partner together.” She said the visit of US President Barack Obama was vital.

“President Obama’s visit at this time is also very vital and important as we cement partnerships and I am looking forward to that,” she said. “Yes, I am concerned but it is not something we cannot overcome once we commit to working together, once we commit to share information and intelligence from any one of the islands to the nation states.”

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 11:15:45 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TT ‘shipping zone’ for terrorists
« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2015, 04:29:32 PM »
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 26, 2015

U.S. and Trinidad Forces Conduct Joint Combined Exchange Training

Port of Spain: Members of the U.S. Special Operations Command South (SOCSO) and Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force (TTDF) will participate in a month-long Joint Combined Exchange Training (JCET) in the Chaguaramas area, starting June 1. The purpose of this exercise is to share training, knowledge, and operational experience between the two countries' armed forces.

The TTDF and SOCSO conduct this type of training regularly, which allows both nations to improve their military readiness and enhance the mutual interaction between both militaries.

The JCET demonstrates the strong partnership between the U.S. and Trinidad and Tobago based on mutual respect and shared interests in the region.

###

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2015, 02:46:51 AM »
More woes for jailed Trini JFK plotter...
AG moves to seize assets
By Anna-Lisa Paul (Guardian).

The State is moving to deem a Trinidadian convicted in the United States a terrorist and obtain a freezing order of his assets and any transaction done on his behalf.

The unprecedented action against convicted JFK bomb plotter Kareem Ibrahim, which is being pursued under the Anti-Terrorism Act, follows the collaborative efforts of local and foreign law enforcement and intelligence agencies.

The exparte application was filed yesterday by the Office of the Attorney General and listed attorneys Pamela Elder, SC, and Michael Rooplal as the advocates.

No date has been set for the hearing.

The application comes on the heels of numerous reports of Trinidadians’ involvement with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and a fresh wave of calls for action to be taken against the foreign terrorist fighters in the wake of the recent ISIS attack in Paris.

News of the move had been announced hours earlier by Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi during a media conference following the opening session of the Caribbean Action Financial Task Force (CFATF) plenary meeting at the Hyatt Regency, Port-of-Spain, where a prayer was said in French and a minute’s silence was observed for the victims of the Paris attacks.

Al-Rawi declined then to name the person or entity but cited Sec 22 (B), 1 (B) of the Anti Terrorism Act as the piece of legislation which enabled him to act on the application.

Confirming that the application related specifically to terrorism, Al-Rawi said: “As incoming AG I met an application which was languishing and in respect of which there had been a conviction.

“I saw it as an important deliverable to proceed with that application to court and so I took the exercise of gelling the application into its proper form, ensured the evidence was behind the application and in very short measure made the approach to court today.”

A tough-talking Al-Rawi added: “Matters cannot afford to be in the system for long. You must deal with them conclusively and if you can’t deal with them, you have to say why.”

Warning that there would be international and local repercussions, Al-Rawi also declined to comment on the value of the assets involved, saying it would be premature to do so “until we have dealt with the position.”

Referring to pre-trial publicity and due process, the AG said every aspect of the law had to be carefully factored in for that instance.

He said his ministry, along with the Ministry of National Security, was urgently addressing issues, such as terrorist financing and foreign terrorist fighters, and they would soon make a public statement on the legislative changes that were being considered.

On the issue of the designation of foreign terrorist fighters and how the authorities can treat with it nationally, the AG said it was an international law issue and that talks were being held on whether one was allowed to bar the entry of alleged foreign terrorist fighters.

Claiming such a move would lead to the creation of statelessness, Al-Rawi said it was important to have the proper evidence of foreign travel, such as dates of entry, participation and departure from the host country.

He said if it was not specific, there may be circumstantial evidence one could use to one’s advantage.

“If you bar people from entering your country, as is being proposed by some jurisdictions, you have to make sure those entities that have been bounced from your borders go somewhere and are treated somewhere. Who treats with statelessness?” he asked.

Al-Rawi acknowledged that the rights enshrined in the T&T Constitution, as well as the Treaty of Caricom and the International Court of Human Rights, provided an avenue for those people to seek redress both locally and internationally.

“Our jails are made to be used after due process has been carried out, so we don’t necessarily share the view that one ought to bounce somebody at the airport. What you really want to do is treat with the criminality in your due process and in your jail system,” he said.

On moves by Government to shore up T&T’s borders, Al-Rawi said they had already met with several intelligence agencies, including the Defence Force, T&T Police Service, Strategic Security Agency and the Caricom Implementation Agency for Crime and Security, and that they had accepted several naval vessels procured under questionable circumstances by the former People's Partnership government.

“As a country, we cannot afford to turn our backs upon the immediacy of accepting things to shore up the holes in our borders. That’s why we have expressed that we will not be throwing away the benefits of a lot of the institutions that we inherited.

“We may clean them up, we may put them into better operations but we certainly intend to carry forward the business of T&T using what the people had purchased beforehand,” he added.

MORE INFO

Section 22 (B) of the Anti Terrorism Act states: “The Attorney General shall apply to a judge for an order under sub-section (3) (a) in respect of an entity, where the entity is a designated entity; or (b) in respect of an entity or individual where there are reasonable grounds to believe that the entity or individual (i) has knowingly committed or participated in the commission of a terrorist act; or (ii) is knowingly acting on behalf of, at the direction of, or in association with an entity referred to in paragraph (a).”

Nicholas: Act was in works

Former attorney general Garvin Nicholas yesterday denied Al-Rawi's claims that Anti Terrorist Act applications were languishing at the Ministry of the Attorney General.

During a brief interview, Nicholas said he could not recall any individual or entity being convicted of being a terrorist before the local courts.

However, he added: “The reality is that there were people convicted of being a terrorist in courts external to Trinidad and Tobago.”

Informed of Al-Rawi’s action on an application, Nicholas said: “I had instructed the Central Authority to pursue these matters and they were in the process of sourcing the necessary evidence from international agencies.

“There was nothing languishing, that process was initiated by me and we were awaiting the required documentation to proceed.”

Found guilty in US

Ibrahim was convicted on May 26, 2011 of conspiracy to launch a terrorist attack at the John F Kennedy Airport in Queens, New York, in 2007.

He and Guyanese nationals — Russell Defreitas and Abdul Kadir — were accused of plotting to explode fuel tanks and the fuel pipeline under the airport.

The evidence at trial established that Ibrahim, an imam and leader of the Shiite Muslim community in T&T, provided religious instruction and operational support to a group plotting to commit a terrorist attack at JFK Airport.

Ibrahim and his co-conspirators believed their attack would cause extensive damage to the airport and to the New York economy as well as the loss of numerous lives.

According to the trial evidence, the conspirators also attempted to enlist support for the plot from prominent international terrorist groups and leaders, including Adnan El Shukrijumah, an al Qaeda leader and explosives expert, and Yasin Abu Bakr, leader of the Trinidadian militant group Jamaat al Muslimeen.

Ibrahim was found guilty after a four-week trial. The specific charges Ibrahim was convicted of are: Conspiracy to attack a public transportation system; conspiracy to destroy a building by fire or explosive; conspiracy to attack aircraft and aircraft materials; conspiracy to destroy international airport facilities; and conspiracy to attack a mass transportation facility.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2016, 02:44:54 AM »
TT terrorist dies in American jail
By Darcel Choy (Newsday).

KAREEM Ibrahim, this country’s first official terrorist, died yesterday morning in a United States prison where he was serving a life sentence for conspiring to commit a terrorist attack at John F Kennedy International Airport in Queens, New York, by exploding fuel tanks and the fuel pipeline under the airport in 2007.

Attorney Farid Scoon, who represented Ibrahim, 70, in his extradition matter, yesterday confirmed his death.

Scoon said Ibrahim, whose body “never took to incarceration” died from heart complications at about 10.10 am yesterday at United States Medical Centre for Federal Prisoners, Missouri.

“It is unfortunate, that an innocent man was convicted of a crime that he had absolutely no guilt and had to spend the last winters of his life in a maximum security prison in the United States,” Scoon said.

Scoon said arrangements were being made by Ibrahim’s family to have the body returned to this country. On December 4, 2015, Justice Nadia Kangaloo deemed Ibrahim also known as “Amir Kareem” and “Winston Kingston” a terrorist after the State invoked provisions of the Anti-Terrorism Act 2005. The judge also ordered all of Ibrahim’s assets, whether local or foreign, be frozen. A federal jury convicted Ibrahim of multiple terrorist offences in May, 2011, after a four-week trial.

The trial established that Ibrahim provided religious instruction and operational support to a group plotting a terrorist attack at JFK Airport. Ibrahim, former Guyana MP Abdul Kadir and TT national Abdel Nur were arrested in Trinidad in 2007. They were extradited to the US and after a trial in 2010, Russel Defreitas and Kadir were convicted and sentenced to life in prison.

Nur pleaded guilty before trial and was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2016, 07:50:52 AM »
TT terrorist dies in American jail
By Darcel Choy (Newsday).

KAREEM Ibrahim, this country’s first official terrorist, died yesterday morning in a United States prison where he was serving a life sentence for conspiring to commit a terrorist attack at John F Kennedy International Airport in Queens, New York, by exploding fuel tanks and the fuel pipeline under the airport in 2007.

So ah guess Abu Bakr and Jamal Shabaaz is not official terrorist then?

These c0ont writers we have in T&T.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

1]; } ?>