April 18, 2024, 10:36:46 AM

Author Topic: Band security attacks PNM councillor, friends Angry victims to take action  (Read 3100 times)

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
From The Triniad Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2016-02-09/angry-victims-take-action

Jensen La Vende
Published:
Wednesday, February 10, 2016
PNM local government councillor Jason Alexander who was beaten by members of Yuma mas band’s security team.

People’s National Movement (PNM) councillor Jason Alexander yesterday called for security guards who work in Carnival bands to undergo proper training, after he was beaten by guards from the band Yuma on Monday evening.

In a telephone interview with the T&T Guardian yesterday, Alexander said he was speaking with his attorney on the best way forward following the beating, part of which was recorded and posted on social network sites yesterday.

The 49-second clip, which sparked outrage online, showed Alexander being kicked, cuffed, slapped and beaten with a baton by male security officers and one female, all dressed in black.

Alexander said around 5.30 pm he was at Taylor Street, Woodbrook, where he had met up with friends who were playing in Yuma. Alexander, who was playing with Island People, said he was told to leave the band by security officers.

He said he turned to tell his friends he was leaving, but before he could do so he was accosted by the guards, who shoved him out of the band.

Alexander said one of his female friends attempted to intervene on his behalf, but she was cuffed in the face by a male security guard, while another of his friends was shoved and another slapped—despite the fact that they were all legitimate Yuma band members.

After the brutal attack he and his friends were all chased away from the band.

“It could have been anyone, forget the title and whatever, but those guards need training. Right now I am considering my options and I am receiving advice from my lawyers,” Alexander, who suffered injuries to his back, elbow and other parts of his body, told the T&T Guardian yesterday, adding that he had already reported the incident to the Woodbrook Police Station and would be meeting with the Minister of Culture Nyan Gadsby-Dolly and other Carnival stakeholders.

One of the three Canadian nationals involved in the incident, Nzunaki Tuitt, 35, said she would be taking the matter to the Canadian Embassy today along with compatriot Jenice Parker, 23.

Tuitt said she wanted all her money back as she did not have a true Yuma experience and was willing to give back the costume if necessary.

“The video was just the remnant of what happened. Jason was already outside the band and he saw that they slapped me and he came back and they beat him. They bullied him,” an upset Tuitt said.

“I was thrown out because I told them they didn’t need to push him and then when I started to mouth off on them a man slapped me and my friend came to my aid and she was cuffed in the mouth.”

Tuitt said someone needs to be charged for assaulting them and also criticised police officers along the band route who, instead of taking the initial report, told the women to go to the Woodbrook Police Station.

She said the use of force by the guards was uncalled for, as Alexander had already left the band.

She says she was later told that the guards involved were fired, but she hopes the band’s management goes a step further and informs the police of those who may have been responsible for the attacks.
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Band security attacks PNM councillor, friends Angry victims to take action
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 02:52:25 PM »
Respek the rope! Toronto Carnival need this BAD... more rice than meat in dem bands...when I pay for the coconut milk  ;) .

Jokes aside, that was nonsense. I just hope Mr wasn't flexin because he's aligned with the current leadership.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 11:43:50 PM »
Respek the rope! Toronto Carnival need this BAD... more rice than meat in dem bands...when I pay for the coconut milk  ;) .

Jokes aside, that was nonsense. I just hope Mr wasn't flexin because he's aligned with the current leadership.

Really?! Is that the first thought that came to your mind?

If you have seen the video clip of what happened posted on facebook you would apologise for even thinking that.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 06:18:11 AM »
band "security" does be straight up thugs 99.9% of the time, no better than  dem fellas dat does chook fight by gettin on wild for juvert......band security needs to be looked at seriously....was almost hit by a baseball bat some years ago "while on the sidelines to boot" when band security started beatin stormers in their band and one run in my direction... at no time were people simply being asked to leave as a first resort, jus a bunch ah fellas with weapon hittin people indiscriminately and bulldozing through bystander to get to stormers dat done run out d band perimeter a'ready......it does be real nonsense with some ah dem idiot
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:22:01 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 06:56:53 AM »

If you have seen the video clip of what happened posted on facebook you would apologise for even thinking that.

And you would assume my comment was somehow politically motivated.

YES I saw the video. No need to defend or justify what I said as you full well know that people in position (NOT necessarily PNM, UNC or Gov't) for the most part feel they are entitled.

You may want to get your eyes checked as you selectively failed to see that I started off with "Jokes aside, that was nonsense."

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 07:47:34 AM »

YES I saw the video. No need to defend or justify what I said as you full well know that people in position (NOT necessarily PNM, UNC or Gov't) for the most part feel they are entitled.

You may want to get your eyes checked as you selectively failed to see that I started off with "Jokes aside, that was nonsense."

what, nah, I commenting in general......lol, didn' mean to sound like I scoldin anybody....if did..

but band security especially for juvert needs to be looked at.

cheers
I pity the fool....

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 09:05:55 AM »

what, nah, I commenting in general......lol, didn' mean to sound like I scoldin anybody....if did..

cheers

nah nah, my response was directed at the person who decided to 'pick' at my response.

agree on the security thing. 2 carnival ago a security tried to power trip on one of my daughters. she was trying to get back over the rope after we encountered a stand still and it was getting dangerous to be 'in' the band (over crowded) so she had went of to the side till the congestion eased up. It could have ended differently.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 10:04:20 AM »

cheers

nah nah, my response was directed at the person who decided to 'pick' at my response.

agree on the security thing. 2 carnival ago a security tried to power trip on one of my daughters. she was trying to get back over the rope after we encountered a stand still and it was getting dangerous to be 'in' the band (over crowded) so she had went of to the side till the congestion eased up. It could have ended differently.

glad to hear dat didn' escalate.....thing is, I think bands on an unspoken level actually endorse the thuggish behavior because is real years dat happening...is jus dat someone of relative note get caught in d melee or else it would be business as usual
I pity the fool....

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 10:25:37 AM »

glad to hear dat didn' escalate.....thing is, I think bands on an unspoken level actually endorse the thuggish behavior because is real years dat happening...is jus dat someone of relative note get caught in d melee or else it would be business as usual

VERY True.. I have dealings with two of the more popular bands/brands.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 01:10:13 PM »
Where the thread for the dead Japanese girl? Uncle Raymond has the solution doh worry.
Tragic yes

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 03:38:16 PM »
Where the thread for the dead Japanese girl? Uncle Raymond has the solution doh worry.
Tragic yes

doh know what was said but raymond is no stranger to doing saying stupid things dat completely overshadow the good he does  ever so rarely
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 03:54:25 PM »

Somebody get assaulted by a gang of criminals masquerading as 'security' and you see cause for "jokes"?  The girl in the turquoise in the vid is a friend of mine and the fella came in the band to say what's up to them during a lull.  Security tell him he need to leave and as he started to leave they were already roughing him up.  My friend spoke up and told them there was no need to push him, since he was leaving... and was promptly slapped in the face by one of YUMA's male 'extraction' personnel.  Her female friend came to her assistance and was knocked to the ground with a punch.  This is a man hitting women.  Thing to laugh at right? (An know yuh "didn't know".)  At this point the fella realized what was happening to his friends and tried to come to their assistance and was knocked to the ground, punched, hit in the head with a retractable baton, stomped about the head and body until the women he tried to protect had to literally throw themselves over him to protect him.

But you here talking about yuh hope is not because he feel he was 'entitled.'

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 06:12:57 PM »
A figure of speech sah! The "Joke" part was in ref to my personal comment and NOT the situation.

You really think I would condone violence of any kind?

Hope the criminals answer for their deeds!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:20:53 PM by Jumbie »

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 08:57:52 PM »
Jumbie did you see the  video ?
Its pretty bad and I didn't even know about the retractable baton, crazy.
And now more experiences coming out .
It's almost like men should be dressed like secret service men surrounding the perimeter , but they should use off duty defense force  men or police instead , if these freelancers can't do it right.
It's ok to protect your patrons but am sure they would hate to hear whats it costing innocent people.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:03:22 PM by Quags »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 09:23:04 PM »
A figure of speech sah! The "Joke" part was in ref to my personal comment and NOT the situation.

You really think I would condone violence of any kind?

Hope the criminals answer for their deeds!

I don't think yuh condoning violence, I just think that it was a little obnoxious to insinuate that the victim might have brought that on himself.  I don't know the fella, but watching the "advantage" taken place I was shocked and disgusted.  When I see the girl in turquoise I say, "but that look like Naki!"  Sure enough when I read the caption and followed up I found out it was her.  And I not putting her business out there as she has released her name to the press, after reporting the incident to the Canadian embassy and the police.  I'm just glad the victim is "somebody"... if he was a regular joe we might have never heard another peep about it.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 09:31:43 PM »
YUMA beating victim visits Canada embassy
Trinidad Guardian

Jensen La Vende
Published:
Thursday, February 11, 2016

One of the victims of alleged abuse at the hands of Yuma security guards said yesterday she would not rest until she received justice for what happened to them on Carnival Monday.

In a brief telephone interview with the T&T Guardian yesterday, Nzunaki Tuitt, a Canadian national, said she went to the Canadian Embassy yesterday as she had promised to but was told she had to return with a copy of her police statement for the matter to be taken any further.

She added that two other women who were assaulted by the security guards were scheduled to leave the country soon but she would stay to fight the matter to the end. Tuitt said the two other women were making the most of their stay in the country but also would do all they could to ensure that they received justice. 

Tuitt, along with People’s National Movement (PNM) councillor Jason Alexander and Jenice Parker, along with another woman were  assaulted at Taylor Street, Woodbrook, on Monday afternoon by security guards working in the Carnival band after it was pointed out that Alexander belonged to another Carnival band.

A masquerader began recording the assault after he saw Parker being punched in the face by a security officer. It was this punch that forced Alexander, who had left the band having been put out by the guards, to return to defend his friend. However, he was severely beaten by the guards when he returned.

[He never had time to leave the band, so never 'returned'... that's how quick the attack on the women and then he himself, went down]

Alexander suffered cuts and bruises about his body from the attack while Tuitt also suffered some minor injuries.

The 49-second video was subsequently posted on social media and went viral, prompting YUMA management to issue a release apologising for the action of the guards. It also sparked a call from Opposition Senator Wayne Sturge for legislation to deal with the issue of band security.

Tuitt, who said she had been told the guards were fired after the incident, said she would not be allowing the incident to be swept under the carpet as someone must be held accountable for the injuries she and her friends sustained.

The T&T Guardian understands that the victims have all reported the matter to the Woodbrook Police Station but the incident occurred within the St James Police Station area so they must continue their complaint at that station.

VIDEO
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:33:15 PM by Bakes »

1]; } ?>