April 27, 2024, 06:16:27 PM

Author Topic: The Lalonde Gordon Thread  (Read 14896 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
‘Lalonde wanted to be fast as a cheetah’
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 01:37:19 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-08-20/%E2%80%98lalonde-wanted-be-fast-cheetah%E2%80%99

‘Lalonde wanted to be fast as a cheetah’
Published: Monday, August 20, 2012
Clayton Clarke

From a child, double Olympic bronze medallist Lalonde Gordon had a love for the speedy cheetah. Little did his mother Cynthia Cupid know that one day, her energetic, robust son would run past some of the world’s best quarter milers and claim bronze in the men’s 400m finals in a personal best of 44.52 seconds at the London Olympics on Monday 6 August. Cupid did not understand her son’s fascination with the feline. “He loved animals and his favourite was the cheetah. He always talk about it being the fastest animal and did not know where he was coming from. Then one day he came home from middle school with a trophy and said ‘Mommy, Friday I am going for the bigger one. And Friday came, and he got a bigger medal. That is when I started paying closer attention to him. His teacher said he was gifted young man. There was a monster in Lalonde waiting to come out. He used to make so much trouble, you know, running about.”

Speaking on her son’s arrival in Trinidad on Saturday, the Mt St George-born, New York, USA resident said she shouted for joy when Gordon crossed the line third in London. “I was screaming. I felt like a celebrity that day. I could not believe it. I just could not believe it. I say thanks to everyone.” She admitted she was nervous before the race. “I had lots of belly ache and butterflies in my stomach. I knew Lalonde was going to do something, but I just was so anxious. I didn’t want to watch him. But as a mother, I was alway there for him. I felt so proud when I saw him getting into the semifinals and then to the finals. I was so happy. I just knew that day he was going to bring home a medal.” Lalonde ran the lead off leg for the men’s 4X400m team, which was third in a national record of 2:59.40. Gordon was also a member of T&T’s World Indoor 4X400m bronze medal winning team in Instanbul, Turkey in March earlier this year.

Cupid, who migrated to Queen’s, New York when Lalonde was two years old, said her son was always a challenge to manage. “Lalonde was always active running, jumping. Nobody wanted him to come by them because he was always active.” She shared that she did have an early scare as he was sick as a toddler and had to be operated on. “As a child he was sick. One day he was flown to Trinidad to do an operation. Funny enough, almost all the kids on that ward died. When I came in and saw him head down on the bed, I thought I had lost my son. But then the doctor told me he was not sick since he was born strong.” Following their return to Trinidad, Lalonde and his mother arrived in Tobago later on Saturday, and were greeted by Tobagonians dancing to the beats of African drums and the sounds of conch shells. Banners read: “Congrats Lalonde ‘Flash’ Gordon.”  “Tobago joy.” “You made up proud. From family and friends.”

Lalonde was surprised by the reception and acknowledged the hundreds of fans who gathered at Crown Point. Another surprise came when he saw his grand mother Yvonne Gordon who was in the arrival hall at the ANR Robinson International Airport to meet him. She hugged and kissed him. Tobago House of Assembly Assistant Secretary for Education, Youth Affairs and Sports Huey Cadette, THA Minority Leader Ashworth Jack and coach Gerard Franklyn were also on hand to welcome the local hero. Tobago Development Minister Dr. Delmon Baker also congratulated Gordon as he came in on a later flight. Gordon will be be joined by Olympic men’s javelin champion Keshorn Walcott, and several of T&T’s other Olympians in Tobago today for a motorcade on the island. Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and the Cabinet will also accompany the athletes. The Tobago House House of Assembly will host a cocktail reception in Gordon’s honour later. Gordon returns to the US tomorrow, before heading out to Switzerland where he is due to run in the Lausanne Diamond League 400m.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

truetrini

Re: The Lalonde Gordon Thread
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 02:10:42 AM »
Socapro....question fuh yuh

I eh no real knowledgeable track man...I readily admit I only follow major events like Olympics and Worlds.

But I was kinda surprised that Jehue Gordon (yes I know he's a hurdler...but he's a world class hurdler) didn't run in the 4 X 400

Are/were the other 3 guys (not Lalonde) better options than Jehue?  I guess the fact that they won bronze asnwers that but I still curious as to your ( or anyone else's) opinion

Palos take a look at the lead the US anchor leg had against Bahamas and see the results of that race.  he is a world class hurdler and had 2 gold medals in the 400 hurdles and he got run down.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 09:35:52 AM »
Socapro....question fuh yuh

I eh no real knowledgeable track man...I readily admit I only follow major events like Olympics and Worlds.

But I was kinda surprised that Jehue Gordon (yes I know he's a hurdler...but he's a world class hurdler) didn't run in the 4 X 400

Are/were the other 3 guys (not Lalonde) better options than Jehue?  I guess the fact that they won bronze asnwers that but I still curious as to your ( or anyone else's) opinion

Palos take a look at the lead the US anchor leg had against Bahamas and see the results of that race.  he is a world class hurdler and had 2 gold medals in the 400 hurdles and he got run down.

I know it fits your theory, but that was the worse leg Taylor has run in quite sometime. He is now 33 and simply beginning to lose his edge. A 44.85 split is garbage for him. Even 2 years ago, Taylor would have gone 43.8 instead of 44.8. Angelo Taylor beat himself, not the other way around.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

truetrini

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 10:41:02 AM »
I see the Bahamian beat him, I eh see he beat heself.

Nontheless, The team got it right, I was not throwing Jehue into that mix at all, not after that tiring run he ahd in that 400m Hurdles, he was toasted.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
CASH, LAND FOR LALONDE
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2012, 06:29:59 PM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,165132.html

CASH, LAND FOR LALONDE
By Yohanseh Asukile and Karl Cupid Wednesday, August 22 2012

A Sports Development Fund of $1 million for Tobago sportsmen and sportswomen has been set up in the name of double bronze medallist Lalonde Gordon by the Tobago House of Assembly (THA). The THA will open the fund with $1 million and will match contributions dollar for dollar made by corporate organisations, said THA chief secretary Orville London.

Gordon, 23, the first Tobagonian to win a medal at the Olympics, was also honoured on Monday night with $100,000 in cash, $200,000 worth of units from the Unit Trust Corporation and will be the first to own a plot of land next year when development begins at the Courland Estate.

London also announced the award to Gordon of a first day cover of postage stamps on the occasion of the 50th Anniversary of Trinidad and Tobago’s Independence; and a $50,000 reimbursement was given to the Gordon family who went to the Olympics in London, England to see the athlete in competition.

On Monday, Gordon was the only Tobago athlete on the island and was also an honouree on a motorcade organised by Government and headed by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, for all the athletes who represented TT at the Olympics including gold medallist Keshorn Walcott. The motorcade began at the ANR Robinson International Airport in Crown Point at about 10 am, and made its way across Tobago, entering Charlottleville at about 9 pm.

Gordon could not make it to the THA function at Cafe Coco, Crown Point, even though it was pushed back to a later start time, and his grandmother Yvonne Gordon accepted the awards on his behalf. Gordon was a determined grandchild, she said.

“What he wants he always goes for it and said he will get gold the next time,” she predicted. Gordon won two bronze medals at the London Olympics, in the 400 metres men’s race and the 4x400 metres relay.

London also announced that Olympic finalists Kelly-Ann Baptiste (women’s 100 metres) and Semoy Hackett (200 metres) will each received $75,000 in units and $75,000 in cash and that Renny Quow (400 metre-runner) and Josanne Lucas (400-metre hurdler), who were injured while preparing for the Olympic Games, will each receive $50,000 in cash.

The THA has committed itself to providing financial support for the rehabilitation of Quow and Lucas, London said. Quow and Lucas are undergoing medical treatment in the United States which is expected to last six months. Baptiste and Hackett have stayed overseas to compete at the Diamond League track and field competition in Sweden.

Addressing the parents and relatives of the Tobago Olympians, London told them, “We as Tobagonians must be extremely proud. Tobago won two bronze medals and we had three finalists. We must celebrate and we must be inspired,” London said. Referring to Gordon specially, he said, “To those who have achieved much, much more is expected. His journey has entered a new phase and he must be steadfast. Lalonde has got to understand that he is the third fastest in the 400 metres in the world.”

London also said the THA was to decide on naming streets and recreation grounds after the athletes in honour of their accomplishments.

“The Assembly will give consideration to the association of the names of these individuals to streets, playgrounds, buildings, as we deem relevant and appropriate after discussions with the various communities, individuals, and entities involved,” he said.

“We are not rushing into this, these are young people, they have careers ahead and we will determine, after consultation, when and what because that is something you have to look after very, very carefully when you name things after people, but we have no problems doing it,” he said.

While London announced the various awards to Gordon and the other Tobago athletes by the THA, the Prime Minister (PM) is yet to say what gifts would be bestowed by Government.

Following a 13-hour “Olympic Caravan” motorcade in Tobago on Monday, it was widely expected that Persad-Bissesaar would say how Government would honour Gordon.

On his return from the Olympics after winning gold in the men’s javelin, Keshorn Walcott, of Toco, was rewarded with $1 million, a $2.5 million townhouse at Federation Park, a full scholarship to UTT and had several landmarks including the Toco lighthouse and a plane named after him. Walcott was part of the Olympic Caravan.

At an unscheduled stop at Old Market (Tambrin) Square, in front of the Tobago Organisation of the People (TOP) headquarters, uptown Scarborough, more than two hours after the motorcade departed the ANR Robinson International Airport at Crown Point, members of the media were told by Government officials the PM would address the crowd there.

But that was not to be, and reporters were then advised Persad-Bissessar would give the address at Charlotteville. However, when the caravan rolled into the little seaside village on Tobago’s far north-east end at 9 pm, some ten hours after leaving the airport, the PM assisted in distributing tokens and 50th Independence Anniversary commemorative cups bearing her image and those of past prime ministers and presidents, but gave no address.

Instead at Charlotteville, the last stop for the motorcade, it was a “blocko” type atmosphere on the greens of the recreation ground and along the streets of the fishing village as young and not-so-young residents, by far the largest village gathering throughout the motorcade, danced and cavorted to the pulsating vibes from two music trucks. The caravan departed Charlotteville just before 10 pm and made its way back to Scarborough along the Windward Road from which it had come, with participants breaking away along the route, and then along the Claude Noel Highway back to Crown Point where the athletes returned to their hotel. Contrary to an announcement at Charlotteville, the motorcade did not visit Castara, Parlatuvier, Moriah, Mason Hall, and other districts along the Northside Road.

Newsday was told participants were left “wondering” as there was no official announcement as to the change in route, and vehicles left the motorcade when this became obvious. In addition, earlier, there was no stop at the Cyd Gray Sporting Complex, at Roxborough, east Tobago, as had been advertised in a media release from the Ministry of National Security.

The celebrations finally came to an end at about midnight.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gordon gets $300,000, house from THA
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2012, 07:42:23 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-08-22/gordon-gets-300000-house-tha

Gordon gets $300,000, house from THA
Published: Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Clayton Clarke

Tobago-born Lalonde Gordon was rewarded with $300,000 from the Tobago House of Assembly (THA) for his bronze medal performances at the recently concluded Olympic Games in London, England. He placed third in the men's 400 metres final and also helped the national team to third in the men’s 4x400m final. Gordon became the first athlete from the island to secure an Olympic medal when he clocked a personal best of 44.52 seconds in the men's one lap event. The New York-based athlete will collect $200,000 in Unit Trust shares and $100,000 in cash and will also receive a house in Courland. THA chief secretary Orville London made the announcement at the cocktail reception for the Tobago Olympians in Crown Point Monday night where Gordon was billed to be the guest of honour. However, Gordon was unable to attend as he was part of the Olympic team’s motorcade in Tobago earlier in the day. His grandmother Yvonne Gordon collected on his behalf.

London also announced that Gordon’s parents will receive $50,000 as a refund for expenses they incurred to travel to London to witness their son’s historic performance. Gordon arrived in Tobago on Saturday and left the country yesterday morning heading out to Lausanne, Switzerland to compete in the Athletissima Diamond League tomorrow. The THA also presented Olympic finallists Kelly Ann Baptiste and Semoy Hackett with $150,000 each. Baptiste was sixth in the women's 100m final while Hackett was eighth in the 200m.  The duo will get $75,000 in Unit Trust share and $75,000 in cash. Both were absent and were represented by parents Hazel Taylor (Kelly-Ann’s mother) and Beverly Davidson and Dennis Hackett (parents of Semoy). Former World Championships bronze medallists Josanne Lucas and Renny Quow  will received $50,000. Both were unable to compete in the Olympics due to injury and the THA will assist in there rehabilitation.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gordon goes for glory in Diamond League
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 12:20:03 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-08-22/gordon-goes-glory-diamond-league

Published: Thursday, August 23, 2012
Clayton Clarke

T&T’s double Olympic bronze medallist Lalonde Gordon will go for gold in the men’s 400 metres at the Samsung Diamond League Athletissima in Lausanne, Switzerland, today. Gordon caught the attention of the world with his strong third-place finish in a personal best time of 44.52 seconds at the London Olympics on August 6 and will race in his first competition since his medal winning run. Gordon, who also led T&T’s 4x400m relay team to Olympic bronze in a national record of 2:59.40, will seek to turn the table on Grenadian Kirani James and Luguelin Santos. James and Santos took gold and silver, respectively, ahead of the Lowlands, Tobago quartermiler.

Speaking on his return home on Saturday, Gordon said he expects an exciting race. “Most of the guys I will be coming up against were the finals in the Olympics.  James and Santos will be there. I am going out there to do my best,” he said. The 23-year-old returned to his New York-USA base on Tuesday after participating in the Tobago leg of the nationwide motorcade for this country's Olympians on Monday. T&T's sprint aces Keston Bledman and Richard Thompson will line-up in a classy men's 100m field which includes world champion and double Olympic sprint silver medallist Yohan Blake of Jamaica, and fellow 4x100m relay gold medallist Nesta Carter. Former world champion American Tyson Gay and teammate Ryan Bailey, who were fourth and fifth respectively in the London 100m finals, are also among the starters.

In the women’s 100m, World Championships bronze medallist and Olympic sixth-place finisher Kelly Ann Baptiste will face a hot field in what looks like a rematch of the London Olympics finals. Gold, silver and bronze medallists Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce (Jamaica), Carmelita Jeter (USA) and Veronica Campbell-Browne (Jamaica) head the list,  along with double sprint finalist Murielle Ahoure (Ivory Coast) and former Olympic and World Championships silver medallist Kerron Stewart (Jamaica). Former world junior champion Jeneba Tarmoh (USA) is among the starters. Cleopatra Borel will be aiming to improve on her second-place finish at the Gyluvlai Istan Memorial Grand Prix in Budapest, Hungary on Monday. Borel will face two-time Olympic queen in the women's shot put Valarie Adams (New Zealand) and American Michelle Carter, who claimed the top spot in Hungary. Borel will be aiming at improving her season's best of 18.69m. Olympic champion Usain Bolt has opted to contest only the 200m and among five Jamaicans in the line-up. Compatriot and Olympic bronze medallist Warren Weir and USA’s Wallace Spearmon will be among those to watch.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 06:35:20 AM »

Clayton Clarke

T&T’s double Olympic bronze medallist Lalonde Gordon will go for gold in the men’s 400 metres at the Samsung Diamond League Athletissima in Lausanne, Switzerland, today. Gordon caught the attention of the world with his strong third-place finish in a personal best time of 44.52 seconds at the London Olympics on August 6 and will race in his first competition since his medal winning run. Gordon, who also led T&T’s 4x400m relay team to Olympic bronze in a national record of 2:59.40, will seek to turn the table on Grenadian Kirani James and Luguelin Santos. James and Santos took gold and silver, respectively, ahead of the Lowlands, Tobago quartermiler.

Speaking on his return home on Saturday, Gordon said he expects an exciting race. “Most of the guys I will be coming up against were the finals in the Olympics.  James and Santos will be there. I am going out there to do my best,” he said. The 23-year-old returned to his New York-USA base on Tuesday after participating in the Tobago leg of the nationwide motorcade for this country's Olympians on Monday. T&T's sprint aces Keston Bledman and Richard Thompson will line-up in a classy men's 100m field which includes world champion and double Olympic sprint silver medallist Yohan Blake of Jamaica, and fellow 4x100m relay gold medallist Nesta Carter. Former world champion American Tyson Gay and teammate Ryan Bailey, who were fourth and fifth respectively in the London 100m finals, are also among the starters.

In the women’s 100m, World Championships bronze medallist and Olympic sixth-place finisher Kelly Ann Baptiste will face a hot field in what looks like a rematch of the London Olympics finals. Gold, silver and bronze medallists Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce (Jamaica), Carmelita Jeter (USA) and Veronica Campbell-Browne (Jamaica) head the list,  along with double sprint finalist Murielle Ahoure (Ivory Coast) and former Olympic and World Championships silver medallist Kerron Stewart (Jamaica). Former world junior champion Jeneba Tarmoh (USA) is among the starters. Cleopatra Borel will be aiming to improve on her second-place finish at the Gyluvlai Istan Memorial Grand Prix in Budapest, Hungary on Monday. Borel will face two-time Olympic queen in the women's shot put Valarie Adams (New Zealand) and American Michelle Carter, who claimed the top spot in Hungary. Borel will be aiming at improving her season's best of 18.69m. Olympic champion Usain Bolt has opted to contest only the 200m and among five Jamaicans in the line-up. Compatriot and Olympic bronze medallist Warren Weir and USA’s Wallace Spearmon will be among those to watch.

After being hijacked for day/night-long motorcades to advertise the government's supposed investment in our athletes (we knew it all along), plus a long flight back to Europe, I would be surprised if Lalonde breaks 46 flat.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2012, 07:48:24 AM »

Clayton Clarke

After being hijacked for day/night-long motorcades to advertise the government's supposed investment in our athletes (we knew it all along), plus a long flight back to Europe, I would be surprised if Lalonde breaks 46 flat.
Yuh dun know!   :-[

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 12:10:50 AM »
Well STMB already predicted Lalonde's poor performance yesterday and not at all unexpected considering all the travelling and functions he had to attend.

However on a positive note for him, it was good to see that he now has Nike as his sponsor. No more running in the T&T uniform except for international events.
 :beermug: :beermug:
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
THA launches fund in honour of Tobago Olympians
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2012, 01:42:46 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-08-27/tha-launches-fund-honour-tobago-olympians

THA launches fund in honour of Tobago Olympians
Published: Monday, August 27, 2012

Double Olympic bronze medallist Lalonde Gordon is set to receive more honours from Tobago. Gordon became the first Tobagonian to medal at the Olympic Games when he crossed the line third in the men’s 400m finals, at the 2012 London Olympic Games on August 6. The Tobago House of Assembly announced the Lalonde Gordon Sports Development Fund will be established with the an initially input of one million dollars to follow annually with the THA matching dollar for dollar any private or corporate donations. THA chief secretary Orville London made the announcement at a cocktail reception last week in honour of the Tobagonians who competed at the London Olympics.

Gordon is among five Tobagonians who were selected on the national team, Kelly-Ann Baptiste, Semoy Hackett, Renny Quow and Josanne Lucas were the others. Baptiste became the first national woman to qualify for an Olympic final when she was sixth in the women’s 100m finals in 10.94. Baptiste will receive $150,000 ($75,000 in Unit Trust Shares, $75,000 in cash). Hackett became the second national to run in a women’s finals finishing eighth in the 200m dash in 22.87 and will also receive $150,000. Quow and Lucas did not compete due to injury. Both will receive $50,000 and financial assistance with ongoing rehabilitation efforts. Gordon got additional rewards: a lot of land at the Courland Estate Development and $525,000 ($175,000 in Unit Trust shares and $350,000 in cash). The five will also collect a commemorative plaque with special Olympic plaques.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gordon ends European season Friday
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 04:38:33 PM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,165779.html

Gordon ends European season Friday
Tuesday, September 4 2012

TRINIDAD and Tobago’s double Olympic bronze medallist, Lalonde Gordon, will be back in action on the European circuit on Friday at the final stop of the Diamond League in Brussels, Belgium.

The track and field meet will be Gordon’s final of the hectic season which has seen the TT athlete bring fame and glory to himself and his country at the London Olympics. The Tobagonian, who clocked a personal best 44.52 in the Olympic 400m final, yesterday tweeted: “Off to Europe for the last race of my season. Best season of my whole track and field career.” Gordon, a member of this country’s 4x400m relay Olympic team which copped third place, last competed at the Samsung Diamond League Athletissima in Switzerland where he failed to replicate his Olympic form.

The 23-year-old was only able to muster a seventh-place finish in the Men’s 400m where he stopped the clock at 45.62.

He was beaten by Olympic champ Kirani James of Grenada (44.37) and his runner-up Luguelin Santos of the Dominican Republic who timed 45.03. The past week saw a number of accolades being bestowed on Gordon including first being named in the 50 Greatest Legends of Sport as part of the nation’s celebration for the Golden Jubilee. The quart-miler was also the recipient of the prestigious Hummingbird Medal (Gold) at the National Awards on Friday.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Development Fund named after Lalonde Gordon
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2012, 10:53:10 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Development_Fund_named_after_Lalonde_Gordon-170446806.html

Development Fund named after Lalonde Gordon
Story Created: Sep 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM ECT

A Sport Development Fund has been opened for Tobago athletes in the name of double Olympic bronze medallist Lalonde Gordon.

This was announced yesterday by Chief Secretary of the Tobago House of Assembly, Orville London.

According to a THA release yesterday, the Fund is to assist Tobago's sportsmen and women and the THA will open the Fund with $1 million and will continue to make an annual contribution of $1 million.

In addition the THA said it will match contributions dollar for dollar made by corporate organisations. London said he had already received pledges from three private sector organisations.

Gordon, who migrated to the United States at the age of 8 years in 1996, won individual bronze in the 400 metres at last month's London Olympic Games and bronze as a member of the 4x400 metres relay team. In rescheduled courtesy call on the Chief Secretary, he said yesterday he had always kept in touch with Tobago and was thankful to God for a successful season and to London and the Assembly for their contribution to his future development.

Gordon was unable to make the call earlier because he was part of a motorcade that ended late into the night of August 21. He also did not attend a special reception in his honour to receive his award from Chief Secretary London. As a result, his grandmother Yvonne Gordon accepted the envelopes with $200,000 worth of Units from the Unit Trust Corporation and $100,000 in cash plus a first day cover of postage stamps on the occasion of the 50th Anniversary of the nation's Independence and $50,000 reimbursement to his family who attended the London Olympics.

Gordon has also been given a plot of land next year at the Courland Estate

His advice to young Tobago athletes was to listen to their parents and coach, train hard and have faith in God.

The Tobago Chief Secretary assured Gordon that when he was no longer on the track, the Fund will continue in his name. "This means that when you are no longer on the track you will still be remembered in Tobago as the person who would have been the catalyst for this Fund which I hope will facilitate other outstanding Tobagonians as they try to develop their potential," London added.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:55:40 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trevor Green, the man behind the rise of Lalonde Gordon
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 12:37:10 AM »
Trevor Green, the man behind the rise of Lalonde Gordon
Posted in: FEATURES  |  By O'Neil A Reid  |  February 14, 2013

Trevor Green Coach at Zenith Velocity (left) and Lalonde Gordon (right)

With three races and three victories, including two world-leading times in the 200m (20.61) and 300m (32.48), 24-year-old Lalonde Gordon is off to an impressive start to his 2013 season. Lalonde, the double-bronze medalist at the London Olympics, is set to run 3 more races this indoor season, with two of the 3 races involving his specialty, the 400m. Gordon has publicly made known his intention of going sub-44 in the 400m this season, and his early season exploits has caught the attention of track and field fans worldwide including the 400m world record-holder Michael Johnson, who recently told the Trinidad media that Gordon is indeed capable of going sub 44.

In addition to his work ethics, his drive and motivation, Lalonde’s meteoric rise can be attributed to his coach Trevor Green, who is orchestrating a plan to land the Trinidad and Tobago native as the number one rank quarter-miler in the world.

The Genesis

Green, the owner and founder of Zenith Velocity Track Club, based in Brooklyn, New York, is very confident that Lalonde will be able to meet his goals. But who is Trevor Green? And how does he feel about coaching one the hottest athletes on the track this early in the season?

Green was born in New York City. His dad is from the United States and his mom is from Honduras. Green was exposed to the sport of track and field at an early age.  “My dad was a track coach and I used to go to track meets with him from I was 3 or 4 years old.  I know the sport and my dad to me was one of the best technical coaches,” he reflected.

The Birth of Zenith Velocity

Green’s love and passion for track and field lead him to form his track club in 1994. “When I was about 19 or 20 years old I decided to form a track team (the Blazers). I ask my brother to get a few of his friends to join the track club. I got a bunch of kids from the neighborhood. The first few years we got beaten up real bad, because we had kids running around in Air-Jordan,” he recalled.

In the mid-2000, the tides began to change for Green and his track club, as he began to experience some degree of success. Green changed the name from Blazers to Zenith and his fortune took a more positive turn when a young high school sophomore approached him about being his coach. The youngster’s name was Edino Steele. Steele under Green’s guidance excelled, winning the New York State 100m title as well as numerous amateur (AAU) titles. Steele went on to represent his homeland Jamaica in international competition and is currently a member of Racers Track Club in Jamaica.

Over the next several years, Green trained numerous athletes and secretly dreamt of coaching an Olympic medalist. Trevor’s dream became a reality when he decided to coach Lalonde Gordon.

Tears and Sacrifice

Lalonde’s bronze winning stretch run at the London Olympics was a defining moment for Green, who was overcome with emotions and who had in the past toyed with the notion of quitting the sport of track and field.

Green reflected, “when Lalonde came down the final straight-away in the 400m finals, I could not hold back the tears any longer… because over the years I always wanted to coach an Olympian.”

Green who makes a decent living as a New York City fifth-grade school teacher said that he does not do anything half-hearted and that when he makes a commitment to doing anything, he gives 100%.

Lalonde’s magical performance also gave Green the opportunity to reflect on the evolution of his track club from its humble beginning to where it is today.

But Green is not resting on his laurels; he has devised a master plan to ensure that Lalonde continues to succeed.

The master plan

Green is quick to point out that Lalonde has tremendous upside. “He hasn’t gotten to the point where he understands what his talent is as yet. He is still trying to find his way. Mentally, he hasn’t gotten to the point where he understands what a pro-athlete is as yet. I am not talking about his work ethics but I just don’t think he understand what he’s capable of doing.”

Green is confident about his charge and indicates that Lalonde can drop some remarkable times this season. “Honestly I don’t want to talk recklessly or talk crazy but based on what I know, the talent that he has and the speed that he has, I think he can go low 45’s (400m) indoors.”

Preparing for the competition

Green is fully aware of the competition posed by Kirani James, Luguelin Santos, and LaShawn Merritt, who are all gifted with having great flat speed.  “We are working on Lalonde foot-speed because getting to the 200m mark in a good position is critical to him having any success against great competition.”

Besides Lalonde, Green also admits that his other favorite 400m runner is LaShawn Merritt, who will be back this year after suffering an ankle injury last season.

Goals for 2013

Lalonde has recently signed a lucrative deal with Nike and no one is happier for him than Green. “I want him to be successful; I want him to make a solid living off of this so he doesn’t have to struggle. The fact that he makes money now is great, because he doesn’t have to stress so much about certain things.”

Green goals for Lalonde includes a number 1 ranking in the 400m at the end of the 2013 season, a world championship medal in Moscow, going sub-44 seconds in the 400m and going sub-20 in the 200m.

When asked whether Lalonde will be pursuing the 200m/400m double this season. Green joked, “Lalonde will focus only on the 400m and will pursue the 200m only if the legend (Usain Bolt) retires.”
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 09:07:46 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lalonde 5th overall in Stockholm 400
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 11:39:57 PM »
Story Created: Feb 21, 2013 at 11:07 PM ECT

Trinidad and Tobago quartermiler Lalonde Gordon finished third in his section and fifth overall in the men's 400 metres event, at the XL Galan IAAF Indoor Permit meet, in Stockholm, Sweden, yesterday.

The double Olympic bronze medallist clocked 47.19 seconds.

Czech Republic athlete Pavel Maslak (46.34) and Briton Richard Strachan (46.68) finished ahead of Gordon in section two to earn gold and silver, respectively. Sudan's Rabah Yousif (46.79) topped section one, ahead of Dominican Republic's Luguelin Santos (46.79). Yousif was third overall, and Santos, fourth.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2013, 10:54:20 AM »
Story Created: Feb 21, 2013 at 11:07 PM ECT

Trinidad and Tobago quartermiler Lalonde Gordon finished third in his section and fifth overall in the men's 400 metres event, at the XL Galan IAAF Indoor Permit meet, in Stockholm, Sweden, yesterday.

The double Olympic bronze medallist clocked 47.19 seconds.

Czech Republic athlete Pavel Maslak (46.34) and Briton Richard Strachan (46.68) finished ahead of Gordon in section two to earn gold and silver, respectively. Sudan's Rabah Yousif (46.79) topped section one, ahead of Dominican Republic's Luguelin Santos (46.79). Yousif was third overall, and Santos, fourth.

It is interesting that he does not capitalize on his indoor 200m speed to get to the break first, instead relying on his finishing strength which is not cutting it, indoors. Anyway, outdoors is the real prize, at least he is getting some mileage in the tank.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lalonde Gordon honored with trust fund
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2014, 09:50:07 AM »

THA honours Lalonde with trust fund

http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2014-11-18/tha-honours-lalonde-trust-fund

Olympic medallist Lalonde Gordon now has a trust in his name.

While some athletes get a statue in honour of their accomplishments and others have their name assigned to a plane or stadia, the London 2012 Olympic achiever is to be lauded by the Tobago House of Assembly (THA) with the activation of the Lalonde Gordon Fund.

Huey Cadette, secretary for Sport, Education and Youth Affairs confirmed this yesterday.

He explained that while the fund was created two years ago, it was not yet launched and neither had it being operationalised. A board to oversee the fund had been appointed.

Cadette expressed the hope that the fund would become operational in fiscal 2015 with an initial contribution of $1 million from the THA.

Gordon successfully medalled at the London 2012 Olympics in his pet events—the 400m and the 4x400 relay—where he secured bronze medals for T&T.

Through the creation of this fund, the THA hoped to assist athletes and administrators alike in their personal development goals.

The establishment of the fund, however, was being done in isolation, said the secretary.

The fund, he said, would form part of the Assembly’s Tobago Sport Policy, which is still being drafted, and aimed to set a clear mandate in relation to structures and procedures through which elite athletes accessed funding.

“Recognising Lalonde Gordon’s effort and his success at the London 2012 Olympics, the THA would have established a fund where money would be allocated both by the THA and corporate T&T. This fund, of course would be managed by representatives of civil society and of course the Assembly. The role of this fund would be to seek applications from persons whether administrators, athletes, organisations who requires support for programmes related to sport, whether it is training or administrative courses,” said Cadette.

He added: “That is essentially what the fund is created for and we look forward to allowing our athletes to thrive because of the input coming from both the Assembly and corporate T&T. We want to ensure that whether you are playing tennis, table tennis, golf, basketball or football that we can find ways to provide support for our athletes. So yes, there will be some distinct differences in our policy and the national one (by the Ministry of Sport). But overall, our policy will seek to compliment what happens at the national level.”

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
Story Created: Mar 27, 2015 at 9:09 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Lalonde Gordon shows off his USA Track & Field New York Association 2014 Open Male Athlete of the Year award, at last Friday’s awards banquet, in New York, USA. Last year, Gordon bagged men’s 400 metres bronze for Trinidad and Tobago at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland. The New York-based quartermiler is a double Olympic bronze medallist. —Photo courtesy ADRIAN CRICHLOW
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 09:49:16 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Double gold for Lalonde ...Gordon wins 200m, 400m in St Martin
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2015, 07:42:15 AM »
Double gold for Lalonde
Gordon wins 200m, 400m in St Martin

Story Created: May 10, 2015 at 11:36 PM ECT (T&T Express)

200/400m double: T&T's Lalonde Gordon

Trinidad and Tobago’s Lalonde Gordon completed an impressive same-day double at the International Meeting, in St Martin, on Saturday.

Gordon grabbed gold in the men’s 200 metres event in 20.53 seconds. The double Olympic bronze medallist was also triumphant in the 400m, clocking 45.50 seconds to finish ahead of Netherlands athlete Lee-Marvin Bonevacia (45.59).

Another T&T quartermiler, Jarrin Solomon secured bronze in 45.85.

Kai Selvon picked up silver in the women’s 100m dash. The T&T sprinter clocked 11.68 seconds, while the winner, American Tawanna Meadows got home in 11.59.

And T&T’s Wayne Davis II finished fifth in the men’s 110m hurdles in 14.29 seconds.

At the University of North Florida (UNF) Invite, in the United States, Emanuel Mayers picked up silver in the men’s 400m hurdles in 50.98 seconds. He also competed in the 100m dash, finishing 11th overall in 10.85.

Mikel Thomas bagged men’s 110m hurdles bronze for T&T at the Jamaica International Invitational, in Kingston. Thomas clocked 13.44 seconds to trail a pair of Americans to the line. Aleec Harris was first home in a world-leading 13.16 seconds, while the runner-up spot went to Jeff Porter (13.36).

Ayanna Alexander captured fourth spot in the women’s triple jump with a 13.52 metres effort. Colombia’s Caterine Ibarguen dominated her rivals in the event, the reigning world champion taking gold with a world-leading 14.87m jump.

Richard “Torpedo” Thompson matched his 10.04 seconds 2015 opener. The fine run, though, could only earn him fifth spot in Saturday’s men’s 100m dash.

Former world record holder Asafa Powell sounded a World Championship warning, the Jamaican sprint star capturing the top spot in 9.84 seconds—the fastest time in the world this year. American Ryan Bailey and Jamaica’s Nesta Carter also dived under 10 seconds. Bailey finished second in 9.93, while Carter was third in 9.98. Another Jamaican, Andrew Fisher clocked a personal best 10.01 seconds to secure fourth spot.

Meanwhile, Jehue Gordon finished sixth in the men’s 400m hurdles, the reigning world champion completing the race in 49.97 seconds. Former world champion Bershawn Jackson was the class of the field, the American winning in 48.47.

Cleopatra Borel opened her 2015 campaign with women’s shot put bronze at the Seiko Golden Grand Prix, in Japan. The T&T field athlete’s best throw in the competition was 18.41m. Hungary’s Anita Marton produced an 18.94m effort to finish first, getting the better of American Brittany Smith (18.61m).

And at the Sun Belt Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships, in Alabama, USA, Texas State University sophomore Aaron George finished 15th in the men’s long jump with a wind-assisted 6.81m leap.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 07:45:01 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gordon 2nd to James in Morocco
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2015, 02:52:56 PM »
Gordon 2nd to James in Morocco
By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Published on Jun 15, 2015, 8:24 pm AST (T&T Express)

T&T's Lalonde Gordon second to Kirani James

Lalonde Gordon snared silver in the men’s 400 metres event at the Mohammed VI d’Athletisme IAAF World Challenge meet, in Morocco, on Sunday.

The Trinidad and Tobago quarter-miler completed his lap of the track in 46.02 seconds to finish behind Grenada’s reigning Olympic champion, Kirani James, the winner in 45.15. Bahamian Demetrius Pinder secured bronze in 46.16.

Gordon (in lane 5) came off the final turn near the back of the eight-man field. The 2012 Olympic bronze medallist, however, had plenty gas left in his tank. He powered down the home straight, reeling in all but James to secure the runner-up spot in his second individual one-lap outing this season.

Men's 400m Kirani James 45.14 Rabat IAAF World Challenge Meeting 2015
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/re-cbP3N2g4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/re-cbP3N2g4</a>

In his 2015 400m opener, in St Martin on May 9, Gordon emerged victorious in 45.50 seconds. He captured an impressive double at that meet, winning the 200m event in 20.53.

Gordon will be home for the June 26-28 NGC-Sagicor NAAA National Open Track and Field Championships, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain. The 26-year-old quartermiler is expected to square off against Machel Cedenio, Deon Lendore, Jarrin Solomon, Renny Quow and Jereem Richards for the men’s 400m title at Nationals. Quow is the reigning one-lap champion, while Gordon captured 200m gold last year.

Josanne Lucas (in lane 8 ) was also on show at Sunday’s IAAF World Challenge meet, in Morocco. The 2009 IAAF World Championship bronze medallist finished sixth in the women’s 400m hurdles in 57.53 seconds.

South African Wenda Nel earned gold in 55.36, finishing ahead of Ukraine’s Anna Titimets (55.86) and Morocco’s Hayat Lambarki (55.94).

Complete Results for 2015 Mohammed VI d’Athletisme IAAF World Challenge Meet, in Morocco: http://www.iaaf.org/Competitions/iaaf-world-challenge/mohammed-vi-dathletisme-de-rabat-5628/timetable/byday
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:02:45 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gordon beats Borlee over 300m
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2015, 11:49:07 PM »
Gordon beats Borlee over 300m
July 15th, 2015 6:16pm (TrackAlerts.com)

TTO quarter-miler Lalonde Gordon

LIEGE, Belgium - The International meet in Liege saw Lalonde Gordon of Trinidad and Tobago back to winning ways.

Gordon held off Jonathan Borlee in the men’s 300m, 32.21 to 32.43.

Belgium’s Anne Zagre recorded a good season’s best of 12.91 (0.5m/s) to get the better of the US pair of Ginnie Crawford (13.04) and Jackie Coward (13.09) in the 100mH.

There was another home win in the men’s 400m: Kevin Borlee (45.60) beating Kenyan champion Alphas Kishoyan (45.90).

Ameer Webb of the USA ran 20.71 to finish ahead of Kenyan champion Mike Mokamba (20.77) in the 200m. Jessica Young took the women’s 100m with 11.30 (0.5). Alex Anderson was second (11.34) as US athletes swept the top four spots.

Other winners on the day were Quincy Downing of the USA with 49.67 in the 400mH, Hamish Peacock of New Zealand with 76.89m in the javelin and Yidiel Contreras of Spain with 13.43, 0.3 in the 110mH.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:55:59 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lalonde breaks T&T 300m record
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2015, 09:43:29 AM »
Lalonde breaks T&T 300m record
By Kwame Laurence (T&T Express)
Published on Jul 16, 2015, 8:39 pm AST

New 300m record: Lalonde Gordon

Lalonde Gordon erased a 23-year-old Trinidad and Tobago record from the books, at the International Meeting de Liège, in Belgium on Wednesday.

Gordon stopped the clock at 32.21 seconds to capture the men's 300 metres title. The 2012 Olympic 400m bronze medallist finished ahead of Belgium's Jonathan Borlee, the runner-up in 32.43, and American Patrick Feeney (32.73).

Gordon's impressive 32.21 clocking was six-hundredths of a second faster than the previous T&T standard of 32.27, established by Ian Morris in Wales way back in 1992.

On Wednesday, Gordon ran a full half-second faster than his previous outdoor best in the event, 32.71 seconds. The 26-year-old Tobago quarter-miler also has a 32.47 indoor best to his name.

Gordon is now at the top of the all-time T&T men's 300m outdoor and indoor lists. Morris is second on the outdoor list with his 32.27 run. Renny Quow is third thanks to the 32.36 seconds clocking he produced at last year's International Meeting de Liège, in Belgium. Ato Stephens and Patrick Delice are fourth and fifth, respectively, at 32.62 and 32.90.

Quow is second on the all-time T&T indoor list at 32.71 seconds.

Gordon's 32.21 national record run earned him fifth spot on the 2015 world outdoor list. South Africa's Wayde van Niekirk is the world-leader at 31.63 seconds. Veteran Bahamian Chris Brown is in second spot with a 31.99 clocking. Great Britain's Delano Williams is next on the list with a 32.14 run. And American David Verburg is fourth fastest this year at 32.17.

American 200/400 great, Michael Johnson is the men's 300m world record holder with a 30.85 seconds run, produced at altitude in Pretoria, South Africa in 2000. Jamaican sprint legend Usain Bolt is second on the global all-time list at 30.97, while third spot is held by American LaShawn Merritt (31.30).

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lalonde clocks sub-45 in Belgium
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2015, 01:00:53 AM »
Lalonde clocks sub-45 in Belgium
Published on Jul 19, 2015, 8:15 pm AST

Lalonde Gordon, TTO Quarter-miler

Lalonde Gordon produced his fastest 400 metres clocking this season at the KBC Night of Athletics meet, in Heusden, Belgium, on Saturday. The Trinidad and Tobago quartermiler topped the men's one-lap field in 44.99 seconds, getting home ahead of American Tony McQuay (45.13) and Belgium's Kevin Borlee (45.24).

Gordon was triumphant in his 400m season-opener, in St Martin on May 9, completing his lap of the track in 45.50 seconds. On June 14, in Morocco, he clocked 46.02 to secure the runner-up spot, behind Grenada's reigning Olympic champion Kirani James (45.15).

A couple weeks later, Gordon competed at the NGC-Sagicor National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) Open Track and Field Championships, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain. The double Olympic bronze medallist bagged bronze at the T&T Nationals in 46.45 seconds. The run was almost two seconds slower than his personal best time of 44.52.

But Gordon found form on Wednesday in Belgium, clocking 32.21 seconds to win the International Meeting de Liège men's 300m title. The fast run was a new national record, bettering Ian Morris' 32.27 standard, which stood for 23 years.

Gordon's 32.21 clocking put him in fifth spot on the 2015 world outdoor performance list. South African Wade van Niekirk tops the list at 31.63 seconds. Evergreen Bahamian quartermiler Chris Brown (31.99), Briton Delano Williams (32.14) and American David Verburg (32.17) are second, third and fourth, respectively.

James, van Niekirk and Botswana's Isaac Makwala have all dived under 44 seconds in the 400 this season, clocking 43.95, 43.96 and 43.72, respectively, and would fancy their chances of a podium finish at the August 22-30 IAAF World Championships in Beijing, China.

Makwala leads the world, while James and van Niekirk are second and third, respectively. T&T's Machel Cedenio is joint-sixth with American LaShawn Merritt at 44.36 seconds. Another T&T quartermiler, Deon Lendore is joint-eighth with Verburg at 44.41. And three other T&T athletes are in the top 40. Renny Quow (44.72) is 15th, Gordon (44.99) 25th, and Jarrin Solomon (45.15) 34th.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2015, 10:02:59 AM »
every time this guy runs on our relay he struggles ...   in the heats he was terrible ... Is this a mental thing ,,
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2015, 12:58:17 PM »
every time this guy runs on our relay he struggles ...   in the heats he was terrible ... Is this a mental thing ,,

When Lalonde Gordon is in top form he can put down a very good first leg for us in the 4x4 but if there are questions about his form and how he will perform then I believe the safest leg to place Lalonde to run for us is the 3rd leg during the 4x4 Heats.

If Lalonde does a great job in the 4x4 Heats on the 1st or 3rd leg then we can use him again in the 4x4 Final on the same leg provided that the management believes that he is fresh enough to reproduce the same form or better in the Final.

It was a terrible management decision to let Lalonde run the 2nd leg for us in the 4x4 relay final at World Champs in Moscow 2013 after he had run in the 200m semis and failed to progress just a few hours earlier before the 4x4 relay final. He gave us a very weak 2nd leg in Moscow 2013 as a result because he was spent. Management should have advised Lalonde not to start the 200m Semi at Moscow 2013 and save himself for the 4x4 relay final a few hours later where we stood a decent chance of medalling.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 01:24:41 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
DOUBLE GOLD ...Lalonde, Thomas win at NACAC Champs
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2015, 01:14:06 PM »
DOUBLE GOLD
Lalonde, Thomas win at NACAC Champs

Published on Aug 9, 2015, 12:08 am AST

ONE-LAP KING: Lalonde Gordon secured the NACAC Seniors men’s 400 metres title for Trinidad and Tobago with a 44.89 seconds run in San Jose, Costa Rica, yesterday.

Lalonde Gordon and Mikel Thomas produced golden runs for Trinidad and Tobago on the second day of the 2015 North American, Central American and Caribbean (NACAC) Senior Track and Field Championships in San Jose, Costa Rica, yesterday.

Gordon powered to victory in the men’s 400 metres final, the 2012 Olympic bronze medallist outclassing his rivals with an impressive 44.89 seconds clocking. Nery Brenes gave his hometown fans something to celebrate, the Costa Rican quarter-miler seizing silver in 45.22, ahead of Jamaica’s Ricardo Chambers (45.37).

Thomas was the class of the field in the men’s 110m hurdles, the T&T athlete getting to the line in a championship record time of 13.23 seconds. Cuba’s Jhoanis Portilla was the runner-up in 13.30, while third spot went to United States Virgin Islands athlete Eddie Lovett (13.31).

Michelle-Lee Ahye bagged bronze in the women’s 100m dash, the T&T sprinter clocking 11.22 seconds. The Americans swept the top two spots. Barbara Pierre won in 11.12, with Charonda Williams second in 11.21.

The other T&T athlete in the championship race, Reyare Thomas got to the line in 11.54 to finish eighth.

Deborah John clocked a wind-assisted 13.42 seconds to finish eighth in the women’s 100m hurdles final. American Lolo Jones won in 12.63.

At press time, last night, T&T’s Shakiel Waithe was still competing in the men’s javelin, while Kyron Blaise and Dwaine Herbert were in action in the men’s long jump. The men’s and women’s 4x100m relay finals had not yet been contested.

Late on Friday, Jaleesa Williams earned women’s discus silver for T&T with a 37.06 metres throw. American Summer Pierson produced a 56.64m effort to emerge victorious, while third spot went to Honduras’ Alma Guitierrez (36.67m).

T&T athletes, Elton Walcott and Steve Waithe were sixth and ninth, respectively, in the men’s triple jump. Walcott jumped a wind-aided 16.00m, and also had a legal 15.90m effort. Waithe jumped a windy 15.67m and a legal 15.34m. Dominica’s Yordany Duranona grabbed gold with a meet record jump of 16.98m.

T&T will have two representatives in this evening’s women’s 200m final. Semoy Hackett led all qualifiers with victory in Friday’s first qualifying heat in 22.59 seconds--a new NACAC Senior Championship record. Kamaria Durant was second in heat three in 23.44, and also advanced.

T&T’s Sparkle McKnight will challenge for women’s 400m hurdles honours. She won heat one in 56.45 seconds to become the meet record holder. But the mark did not last long, American Tiffany Williams winning heat two in 55.85 to claim the record.

Emanuel Mayers was second in the opening men’s 400m hurdles heat in 50.49 seconds, and will bid for precious metal in the final.

Kyle Greaux will compete in the men’s 200m final. In the semifinal round, the T&T athlete won heat one in 20.47 seconds. Dan-Neil Telesford was disqualified in heat three for running out of his lane.

In the preliminary round, Greaux was third in heat one in 20.62 seconds, while Telesford was third in heat five in 20.96.

Jamaal James returned a time of one minute, 50.69 seconds to finish second in the first of three men’s 800m qualifying heats, the T&T half-miler securing an automatic berth in the final. Nicholas Landeau, however, was eliminated after finishing third in the last heat in 1:53.20.

Alena Brooks booked her spot in the women’s 800m championship race as a “fastest loser”. The T&T athlete finished fourth in heat two in 2:06.41.

Hezekiel Romeo will compete in today’s men’s shot put, and Deandra Daniel battles for honours in the women’s high jump. T&T will also be in action in the men’s and women’s 4x400m events.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Team TTO at NACAC Senior Championships 2015 Costa Rica.

Race videos of Mikel Thomas, Lalonde Gordon & Michelle-Lee Ahye medal wins posted below.
Videos shot by PAUL VOISIN (NAAA TT).

Mikel Thomas NACAC Champion with a New NACAC Championship Record of 13.23 in the Men 110 Meter Hurdles Finals.

Click link to view race video: https://www.facebook.com/paul.e.voisin.9/videos/1896142473944471/

Lalonde Gordon won TTO's second gold for the evening, in the 400m Dash in a time of 44.89. Yesterday Gordon had also set a new Championship Record 44.64 and was the favorite going into the finals.

Click link to view race video: https://www.facebook.com/paul.e.voisin.9/videos/1896182937273758/

Michelle-Lee Ahye had to fight her way back after a bad start in the 100m dash, but managed to get onto the podium in third place (11.22).

Click link to view race video: https://www.facebook.com/paul.e.voisin.9/videos/1896135633945155
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:06:34 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gordon, Thomas and Jones shine on day two of NACAC Championships
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2015, 01:14:39 PM »
09 AUG 2015 Report, San Jose, Costa Rica
Gordon, Thomas and Jones shine on day two of NACAC Championships

T&T hurdler Mikel Thomas and quartermiler Lalonde Gordon (right photo) won gold medals in the Men’s 110 metres Hurdles and 400m, respectively, at the NACAC Senior Championships in San Jose, Costa Rica, last night.

Lolo Jones at the 2015 NACAC Senior Championships (Organisers) © Copyright

Trinidad and Tobago’s Lalonde Gordon and Mikel Thomas, as well as American hurdler Lolo Jones, provided the highlights of the second day of the NACAC Senior Championships in San Jose, Costa Rica, but the USA continued its dominance by taking 10 of the 13 finals contested on Saturday (8 ).

One day after setting a championship record of 44.64, his fastest time since claiming the London 2012 Olympic Games 400m bronze medal, the 26-year-old Gordon confirmed his fine form by taking the title over one lap of the track in 44.89, coming home ahead of local favourite, 2012 world indoor champion Nery Brenes, who was second in 45.22.

Thomas added a second gold for Trinidad and Tobago by taking the 110m hurdles in 13.23, a new championship record, just a few days after setting a national record of 13.17 for silver at the Pan American Games in Canada.

Two-time former world indoor champion Lolo Jones, from the USA, took the 100m hurdles crown with 12.63, but the time will not go to the record books as a result of an extravagant 4.1 mps tailwind. Her compatriot and Pan American Games champion Tenaya Jones finished a close second with 12.68.

The 100m did not produce the fast times expected after the heats’ results on Friday but did provide a few upsets.

After setting championship records in their heats, Jamaica’s Samantha Henry-Robinson (11.01 on Friday) and Sheldon Mitchell (10.07) were left out of the medals.

Barbara Pierre and Charonda Williams made it a one-two for the USA. Pierre stopped the clock first with 11.12 while Henry-Robinson finished a distant fifth with 11.45.

Fifth in the 100m and a 4x100m gold medallist at the recent Pan American Games, USA’s Remontay McClain clinched the 100m gold here with 10.09, 0.02 shy of his season’s and personal best. 

Barbados’ Ramon Gittens (10.11) and Levi Cadogan (10.13) completed the podium while Mitchell had a race to forget and finished seventh with 10.31. Both 100m finals were into 0.1 mps headwinds.

The field events also saw a number of championship records fall.

USA’s 2011 world championships bronze medallist Jill Camarena-Williams improved the meeting mark to 18.62m in the shot put, winning by more than a metre, while Amber Campbell and Cameron Burrell were also victorious in the women’s hammer throw and the men’s long jump, with winning distances of 72.41m and 8.06m respectively.

Wheating add to his gold reserves

American runners also dominated the distance events.

Fresh from his Pan American gold, Andrew Wheating took the men’s 1500m title in 3:45.08 while Rachel Schneider won the women’s final in 4:14.78; Lopez Lomong took the top honours in the 5000m with 13:57.53, with championship records for all three runner.

In a modest and rather bizarre men’s pole vault final, El Salvador’s 17-year-old Natan Rivera was the only one of the six competitors to clear a height and emerged as the unheralded winner.

Rivera, who his country sadly didn’t even send to last month’s IAAF World Youth Championships, was the lowest ranked vaulter in the field and arrived in San Jose with a best set earlier this season of 4.67m. The teenager presumably was expecting just to witness a masterclass from the likes of USA’s 2007 world champion Brad Walker, a man who holds the area record with 6.04m, and Cuba’s Lazaro Borges, the 2011 world championships silver medallist, and had no realistic medal ambitions.

Rivera entered at the competition’s opening height of 4.55m and went over first time before clearing a personal best of 4.70m on his second attempt.

His competition came to an end after three failures at 4.85m but Walker, Borges and USA’s Nick Mossberg were still to start vaulting.

However, none of the trio mastered the swirling, breezy conditions and, with the bar well over five metres, all three failed their opening heights to leave Rivera as the totally unexpected gold medallist – and the only man standing on the podium when the medals were distributed.

The 2nd NACAC Senior Championships will conclude on Sunday at San Jose’s National Stadium with 18 finals, including all relays.

Javier Clavelo Robinson for the IAAF

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gordon gets silver in Millrose 400m
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2016, 11:10:28 PM »
Gordon gets silver in Millrose 400m
Published: Sunday, February 21, 2016 (T&T Guardian)

T&T quartermiler Lalonde Gordon, placed second in the 400 metres at the Millrose Games

T&T quartermiler Lalonde Gordon had to settle for second place in the men’s 400 metres event at the 109th NYRR Millrose Games in Manhattan, New York, yesterday while Michelle-Lee Ahye just missed out on finishing among the top three finishers in the 60m dash at the IAAF World Indoor Tour in Glasgow.

Gordon, a double bronze Olympic medallist, completed the race in 45.51 seconds behind Grenadian Bralon Taplin (45.35) in a tight finish. Taplin is the world leader in the men's 400m when he ran 45.20 seconds last month. Third was Adidas’ David Verburg in 46.27.

At the Glasgow Indoor Grand Prix, Ahye placed fourth in 7.16. Dutch sprinter Dafne Schippers won with a stadium record of 7.10. Second was Jamaican Elaine Thompson in 7.14 and Ewa Swoboda of Poland was third in 7.15. Ahye had placed second in the heats, clocking 7.14 to follow Schippers (7.11) to the line.

The local sprinter is coming off a second place finish in the women’s 200m at the Globen Galan, another IAAF World Indoor Tour meeting in Stockholm on Wednesday. Jeneba Tarmoh of the United States won, finishing in 23.38, a hundredth of a second ahead of Ahye, with 2013 world youth champion Irene Ekelund third in 24.05.

T&T sprinter Michelle-Lee Ahye gets ready for 60m Final at IAAF World Indoor Tour in Glasgow

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Race Video ...Lalonde Gordon 45.51 indoor 400m final at Millrose Games 2016
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2016, 09:55:57 AM »
Race Video ...Lalonde Gordon 45.51 for 2nd place indoor 400m final at Millrose Games 2016.

Click link to view: http://www.usatf.tv/gprofile.php?mgroup_id=45365&mgroup_event_id=574&year=2016&do=videos&video_id=165254

Lalonde looking good so far for 2016. He could have won that race if he had made the decision to take the lead at 200m mark rather than easing off and deciding to play catch the front man in the last 100m.

I think he plans to ensure he secures an individual 400m spot in Rio in addition to being a vital member of our Men's 4x400m team.

I won't be surprised if Lalonde lowers his PB in the 400m this year as anyone who plans to make the 400m final in Rio and to medal will need to be capable of running 44 flat or faster as the medal bar was raised last year where 44 flat could not even win you a medal at the World Champs in Beijing.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:07:42 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2016, 03:46:22 PM »

Lalonde Gordon in purple Nike top wins 200m in 20.76 (SB) over Joel Redhead in 20.91
at Fastrack Last Chance meet in New York 2016

Lalonde Gordon ran a SB of 20.76 in the 200m indoors this weekend!

Costas Goulas
‏@lsabre
Priscilla Frederick cleared an iNR of 1.90 in the HJ, Lalonde Gordon put  down another fast 200m in 20.76 (SB) over Joel Redhead in 20.91.

https://twitter.com/lsabre/status/704000577617993729

Here is Race video: https://www.facebook.com/tracknfieldjunkie/videos/1279660985383247/

Trinidad and Tobago's Lalonde Gordon 20.76 and Grenada's Joel Redhead 20.91 in 200m 2/27/16

Well done guys, Coach Trevor Green and Zenith Velocity track club.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

On viewing the race, I think Lalonde eased off at the end and could have clocked a faster time.
Still its a nice SB of 20.76 from him! Would have been nice to see Lalonde equal or lower his 200m Indoor PB of 20.58 before the Indoor season is over.

His coach Trevor Green commented on facebook that Lalonde did ease off a bit but this race was more about Lalonde bringing his training partner to a faster time. TG also said this is Lalonde's last race until world indoors and that he wanted a 20.50 from Lalonde but was extremely thankful for his two athletes in the race to have run 20.XXs.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Official results: http://oceanbreezenyc.org/sports/2016/2/27/fastrack-last-chance-meet.aspx

Men 200 Meter Dash Invite
===================================================================================
    Name                    Year School                  Seed     Finals  H# Points
===================================================================================
  1       Gordon, Lalonde        Zenith Veloc           20.58      20.76   1
  2       Redhead, Joel          Zenith Veloc           20.91      20.91   1
  3       Roberts, Jamal         adidas Garde           21.69      21.46   2
  4       Cue, Tyler             Liu Brooklyn           21.18      21.56   1
  5       Parkinson, Jovanni     Farmingdale            21.70      21.93   2
  6       Chiaravalle, Shane     Stevens Inst           22.10      21.95   3
  7       Dukes, Tyquan          Liu Brooklyn           21.40      22.06   1
  8       Spenser, Wallace       Unattached             22.30      22.14   4
  9       Wesley, Cyrus          adidas Garde           21.56      22.14   2
 10       Davis, Delano          Liu Brooklyn                      22.28   2
 11       Nkrumah, Keith         Unattached             22.13      22.33   3
 12       Harris, Shane          Stony Brook            22.35      22.37   4
 13       Anderson, Dexter       Rowan                  22.21      22.44   3
 14       Wilson, Seth           Dominican (N           23.32      22.57   5
 15       Johnson, Tim           Marist                 22.61      22.85   4
 16       Gomes, Antonio         Suny Delhi             22.01      22.85   2
 17       Ford, Sean             Stockton               23.05      22.91   5
 18       Parlow, Chris          Stockton               22.70      23.37   4
 19       Sellitto, Phil         Farmingdale            22.86      23.78   4
 20       Pierre, Andrew         Dominican (N           23.50      24.07   5
 21       Mitchell, Franklyn     Unattached             22.12      24.55   3
 22       Noziere, Jeremiah      Middlesex CC           24.87      24.72   5
 23       Tolby, Jarrett         Holy Family            23.85      27.44   5
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:26:26 AM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>