March 28, 2024, 02:20:53 PM

Author Topic: Nestle sweetens Milo Games with $.1m  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Nestle sweetens Milo Games with $.1m
« on: March 10, 2016, 02:32:03 AM »
Nestle sweetens Milo Games with $.1m
By Nigel Simon (T&T Guardian)
Published: Thursday, March 10, 2016

World Junior and Senior 400 hurdles medalist Jehue Gordon left chats with Diego Martin Government Primary students Vael Valcin, Shanice Spring and Kade Campbell, at the media launch of the 2016 Milo Games at the Marriott Hotel, Invader’s bay, Port-of-Spain, yesterday. PHOTO: NICOLE DRAYTON

This year’s 29th edition of the Milo Games which comes off at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo, next Tuesday, will benefit from a sponsorship of $100,000 from—Nestle T&T Limited.

Making the announcement at the Grande Riviere Room, Marriott Hotel, Invaders Bay, Mucurapo, yesterday, was Rae-Ann Clement-Harper, Consumer Marketing Manager-Powder Beverages of Nestle.

Clement-Harper first pointed out that her company was very pleased to once again be the sponsors of the Milo Games and explained that the relationship was born 29 years ago. Since then Milo has seen the games grow from strength to strength and is very pleased to be associated with such excellence in sport.

She added: “The Milo brand is committed to nourishing the nation’s children, their bodies and minds, not only through proper nutrition, but through development of their ambitions and their passion for sport.

“As I look into the eyes of all the students here today I see so much talent and future Olympic medallist just like Hasely Crawford, Ato Boldon, Richard Thompson and Jehue Gordon.

“For this reason, we continue to support activities which promote nutrition, health and wellness, especially when it comes to our youth development programmes.

Looking ahead, Clement-Harper said: “Nestle T&T Limited through its brand Milon will continue to nourish and support sport and the nation’s children as we have done over the last 29 years.”

Clement-Harper also praised the dedication of Kelvin Nancoo and the Milo Games Committee for their expertise, time and efforts which no doubt has clearly paid off.

Elisa Doldron, head of Consumer Marketing of Nestle T&T Limited said: “The Milo Games have become part of our DNA at Nestle, being very much aligned with our focus and encouraging physical activity as a critical part of leading a healthy lifestyle.

“These Milo Games, however, takes us to another level, as sport in itself not only contributes to physical well being, but also plays a major role in holistic development.”

Doldron added: “At this time when our young children and our society at large are faced with many negative forces, engaging in sporting activities, being part of a team, and focusing on what is good, can only help to keep us motivated and committed to living a healthier lifestyle.

“Today with the launch of the 29th Milo Games, we further strengthen our commitment to ensuring the health and well being of our young athletes by supporting their goals and aspirations to succeed, creating an opportunity for them to train, focus and reap the benefits of their hard work and in so doing become healthier adults. I am sure they will make a significant contribution to T&T in the near and distant future,” ended Doldron.

Twenty-two schools will battle in the Milo Games with reigning champions Diamond Vale Government (West Zone B) and Maraval RC School (West Zone A) both returning to defend their crowns.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 02:53:48 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jehue warns athletes not to neglect school
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 05:23:54 AM »
Jehue warns athletes not to neglect school
By JOEL BAILEY Thursday, March 10 2016 (T&T Newsday)

World Champion hurdler Jehue Gordon graduates from the University of the West Indies.

NESTLE TRINIDAD and Tobago Limited has injected a sum of $100,000 towards the staging of the 2016 Milo West Games, which will take place on Tuesday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

The launch of this year’s Games was held yesterday at the neighbouring Marriott Hotel, on Invaders Bay.

And this year will mark 29 years that Nestle has been involved with the Games, which serves to highlight the budding track and field athletes in the North West region of Trinidad.

Rae-Ann Clement- Harper, Nestle’s Manager of Consumer Marketing, had a message to the young athletes who were in attendance at the Hotel’s Grand Riviere Room.

“To the young athletes, we wish you all the best next week,” she said. “We look forward to you, one day, becoming true Olympians but, today, we salute you as being true Milo champions.” One of the many athletes who competed at the Milo Games was national champion and 2013 World 400-metre hurdles champion Jehue Gordon.

Delivering the feature address at the launch, Gordon said, “it was only when I was in Standard Five that I made it all the way to the National Championships for the boys 800 metres.” He continued, “and who said my last year was not my best year.

I defeated the national champ, in the boys 800m, from Tobago.

“I must say thanks to Nestle for the 29 years they have invested in the youth of Trinidad and Tobago, giving them a chance that a lot of our parents did not have.” The 24-year-old spoke in glowing terms of the impact the Games had in his career thus far.

“Milo Games definitely opened up my eyes, to believe in myself, and to realise that I had the talent to run,” he said. “Now I’m a World Junior champion, a World champion and the national record holder over 400m hurdles, not withstanding the fact that I also got my degree while being a professional athlete, graduating with First Class honours.

“I know most of you will think that sports is all, but it’s not. There is going to come a time when you’re going to retire, an injury may pop up that may be career or life-threatening, or you may just not want to pursue sports any more.

What are you going to do to pursue a living? That is why school is so important. Don’t use sports and training as an excuse to not do your homework or to go to class, but use it as an optimiser to your life.” Journalist and administrator Kelvin Nancoo, who is part of the Games committee, revealed a dream he recently had, and is hopeful that it comes to fruition.

“Sometimes when I dream it always comes to past,” he said. “I dreamt that, for the first time in the history of the Milo Games, we had the Minister of Sport and the Minister of Education at the opening of the Milo Games.

“It’s just a dream but my dreams usually come true. So principals and supervisors, be aware of my dream,” he ended
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 05:32:05 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Diamond Vale, Maraval repeat at Milo Games
...Dunross snatch first boy’s title

Published: Sunday, March 20, 2016 (T&T Guardian)

Jacob St Hillaire of Maraval RC stands on the podium as he shows off his trophy after being named victor ludorum in the Under-13 category at Tuesday's Milo Games at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port-of-Spain.

In front of one of the largest crowds in the history of the Milo Games, inaugural winners from 1987, Diamond Vale Government School, showed their new principal David Weekes that they have continued the legacy of the school’s first principal Yvonne Pinder.

The perennial West “B” champion was awesome once again on Tuesday, when the 29th edition of the Milo Games was staged at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port-of-Spain, with the Minister of Education Anthony Garcia, Junior Education Minister Dr Lovell Francis and Minister of Sport Darryl Smith.

Diamond Vale Government showed it continues to excel, sweeping both the Boys and Girls categories, through stellar performances from Jeneice Burton, Ofili Quow, Tyrell Springer, Isaiah  Gemon and Abigail Burton. Last year they started off in style when they were adjudged winners of the March Past, but this year was different as Patna River Estate Government out-marched them in the absence of stalwart teacher Glenda Miller. They amassed a total of 76 points to finish in sixth position.

In West A, Cocorite Government gave principal Cogland Griffith something to smile about when they won the judges nod. The Cocorite School just got the better of Carenage Girls’ Government with Maraval RC in third.

Maraval RC had similar success, sweeping the West “A” Zone girl’s title while in the process halting the impressive run of former champion Carenage Girls Government. Maraval’s Shaniqua Bascombe proved a class act, winning the 100, 200 and 400 metres, respectively, with the minimum of fuss.

The 15-time champion Carenage suffered just its third defeat to the Maraval institution in 19 years. But, Maraval RC was in shock as the “Giant Killers” Dunross Preparatory School,  which was the champion of the West Zone and Port-of-Spain and Environs in Football, added another laurel to their bulging bags of successes,  when winning the West “A” Boys Championship title for the first time. Dunross could not hide their obvious delight as its boys dethroned defending champions Maraval RC tallying 124 points. 

Diamond Vale, which defended its boy’s title, has previously won the Championship 14 times. Its girl’s team, meanwhile, have won the championship on 16 occasions. The outstanding performers in West A included Maraval RC’s Shaniqua Bascombe, Jacob St Hillaire, who were victrix and victor ludorum in the Under-15 Girls and U-13 boys, respectively.

There were superb performances from Dunross’ stars Dylan Woodfruffe, Sophia Woodruffe and Dean Mohammed.

There were also noteworthy performances from Diego Martin Government’s Kareem Sanchez, Reneisha McEachnie along with Sultan Marshal of Patna River Estate Government. Shakanah George of Petit Valley Girls’  RC was outstanding while Jovani Haywood shined for La Puerta Government.

Chairman of the Sport Company of T&T (Sportt) Michael Phillip was also on hand to give out prizes.

Minister Garcia lauded Milo for their involvement and applauded them for the assistance given to sport and education. He commended the pioneers of the Milo Games and said that the gala opening ceremony and march past were things worth savouring.

Honour Roll

March Past:
West A: 1 Cocorite Government—268; 2 Carenage Girls’ Government - 264; 3 Maraval RC—258
West B: 1 Patna River Estate Govt—264; 2 Four Roads Govt—260; 3 Crystal Stream Govt—249

Victrix Ludorum: West A:
U-9: Shaniqua Lawrence (Carenage Girls Govt)
U-11: Sophia Woodruffe (Dunross)
U-13: Kadi Ann Pierre (Paramin RC) and Chelsi Mukerji (International School)
U-15: Shaniqua Bascombe (Maraval RC)

Victor Ludorum: West A:
U-9: Clinton Lewis (Point Cumana Gov’t)
U-11: Dylan Woodruffe (Dunross)
U-13: Jacob St Hillaire (Maraval)
U-15: Dean Mohammed (Dunross)

Victor Ludorum: West B:
U-9: Ofili Quow (Diamond Vale Govt) and Savion Adams (Crystal Stream Govt)
U-11: Kareem Sanchez (Diego Martin Govt)
U-13: Jovani Haywood (La Puerta Govt)
U-15: Sultan Marshall (Patna River Estate Govt)

Victrix Ludorum: West B:
U-9: Jeneice Burton (Diamond Vale Govt)
U-11: Abigail Burton (Diamond Vale Govt)
U-13: Reneisha McEachnie (Diego Martin Govt)
U-15: Shankanah George (Petit Valley Girls RC)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 02:05:18 AM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>