April 25, 2024, 05:56:03 PM

Author Topic: Stony Brook names Ryan Anatol head men's soccer coach  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stony Brook names Ryan Anatol head men's soccer coach
« on: February 23, 2011, 05:46:07 AM »
Stony Brook names Ryan Anatol head men's soccer coach
goseawolves.org

Stony Brook University has named Ryan Anatol its new head men’s soccer coach, Stony Brook Athletics Director Jim Fiore announced Friday. A winner everywhere he has been, Anatol comes to Stony Brook with a polished résumé that includes 10 years of coaching experience at college soccer’s highest level, most recently serving as an assistant coach at the University of South Florida.

“Building a nationally recognized soccer program is a high priority at Stony Brook, and the first step in that process was to identify the right person to lead our student-athletes,” Fiore said. “I chose Ryan to lead our program because I am confident that with his coaching and playing experience, he will have an immediate impact on our student-athletes, alumni, faculty, staff and broader Stony Brook community.

“Coach Anatol is committed to creating an environment where our success on the field will equal the university’s extraordinary success off the field, and he has our full support in those efforts. I am thrilled that he has agreed to take on the challenge of building a consistently successful soccer program within the very competitive America East Conference and on the national level.”

“I would like to thank Jim Fiore, Donna Woodruff and everyone involved in the search,” Anatol said. “I am truly honored for the opportunity to be the head men’s soccer coach at Stony Brook University. My family and I are excited to be moving to Long Island, and I am looking forward to working at such a fine academic institution, building a program that the community will be proud of and leading it to success on and off the field.”

Anatol recently completed his sixth season as an assistant under head coach George Kiefer at USF, helping the Bulls to an impressive 74-33-18 (.664) record, five NCAA Tournament appearances and one BIG EAST championship. In a conference that has sent seven teams to the NCAA Tournament in four of the last six seasons, the Bulls compiled a 36-18-10 (.641) mark in BIG EAST games during his tenure. Anatol helped guide the Bulls to the Elite Eight of the 2008 NCAA Tournament, the program’s best-ever finish.

Anatol also served as USF’s recruiting coordinator, helping bring in several top recruiting classes, all six of which were ranked in the top 25 in the nation, according to College Soccer News. Since his arrival at USF, the Bulls have had 23 All-BIG EAST selections, nine All-Region picks and two NSCAA All-Americans (Yohance Marshall and Jeff Attinella). Eight of Anatol’s players have gone on to be drafted and/or currently play in Major League Soccer.

Anatol has garnered multiple honors for his efforts. He was named one of College Soccer News’ Top Assistant Coaches for 2011, one of just 20 assistant coaches in the country to receive the honor. He also was one of only 12 assistants to receive the honor after the 2008 season. In 2009, he was named the NSCAA Northeast Region Assistant Coach of the Year and was a finalist for the Glenn “Mooch” Myernick National Assistant Coach of the Year.

In addition to his work on the field, Anatol has been a mentor to his student-athletes off the field, helping the Bulls earn the NSCAA Team Academic Award for four consecutive years from 2007-10. Two of his student-athletes, Zak Boggs and Francisco Aristeguieta, were named BIG EAST Scholar Athlete of the Year.

Prior to working at USF, Anatol spent two seasons as an assistant coach at Akron, helping lead the Zips to the NCAA Tournament in both seasons, winning the 2004 Mid-American Conference championship and compiling a 28-10-5 record. His efforts helped lay the groundwork for a Zips program that has now won four straight MAC championships and won the NCAA National Championship in 2010.

Anatol played his college soccer at USF from 1997-2000, serving as team co-captain his senior year. He was a member of back-to-back Conference USA championship teams in 1997 and ’98, advancing to the Elite Eight of the ’98 NCAA Tournament. He graduated from USF with a bachelor’s degree in Mass Communications in 2002 and then earned his masters degree in Sports Science/Coaching at Akron in 2010. Anatol also has international experience, playing for his native Trinidad and Tobago’s Under 20 National team from 1995-96.

Anatol takes over a flourishing Stony Brook men’s soccer program that won America East championships in 2005 and 2009 and had a 10-7-3 mark in 2010, a third-place finish in America East and a berth into the conference tournament semifinals. The Seawolves will return 19 lettermen from last season’s team, including 2010 America East Midfielder of the Year sophomore Leonardo Fernandes (North Babylon, N.Y.) and leading scorer sophomore Raphael Abreu (New York, N.Y.).

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
Re: Stony Brook names Ryan Anatol head men's soccer coach
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 08:26:01 AM »
Not a bad place to be.  They've been pumping a lot of money into their athletic program over the last 5-7 years. 

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 08:48:40 AM »
Congrats to Anatol
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 09:13:18 AM »
All the best Ryan
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:18:55 AM by soccerman »

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 09:19:50 AM »
Congratulations. He will be successful in a very short space of time.

Offline ttfootfan

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 05:42:33 PM »
Congrats to Anatol. We will see more trinis playing in NY now. Should get him involved in TT Youth set up.

Offline stickytingo

• New Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 09:00:55 AM »
Coachman, good luck at UNH tomorrow night. Yuh meticulous and yuh delivering a good product. Hold yuh head up high!

(Yuh Jamaican player, on the day I saw him, was a lil too relaxed defensively, but dahis a quibble rather than a complaint: you got the result, and earned it). Allyuh scored a punishing opportunistic goal that stemmed from a goalie distribution error, but you essentially outplayed the Irishman's team (incidentally he agrees). They were poor and one-dimensional in the final third (he agrees with that too).

One final word: "Mario."

Offline ttfootfan

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 06:44:50 AM »
Just looked up Stony Brook and noticed Anatol had Jevaughn Vance on his team http://www.goseawolves.org/sports/m-soccer/mtt/ston-m-soccer-mtt.html I liked this player coming out of St. Augustine and if I remember correctly he was the player of the league. Doesn't look like he is playing though. Anyone have any insight?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2023, 05:12:54 AM »
After an 8-0 win over St. Joseph University - New York, Ryan Anatol has become the winningest coach in the history of the Stony Brook University Men's Soccer Program.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2023, 06:45:28 AM »
10 years under the belt ... was thinking 8. Congratulations!

1]; } ?>