March 29, 2024, 02:09:05 AM

Author Topic: Fixing our football almanac.  (Read 3892 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Fixing our football almanac.
« on: March 21, 2016, 12:43:35 AM »
Fixing our football almanac.
By Inshan Mohammed.

Little changes could bring big improvements

Now that there is an influx of T&T players based in North and Central America not only the proposition of having a so called B-team becomes a good idea, but it's a proposal that we can actually build on and it could play a pivotal role in the development of T&T football at both club and international levels.

In my last article, “Building a local team could be a step in the right direction” I mentioned that having a local B-team train and play games consistently could be the answer to some of the problems we've had to face in the past. The feedback I received was mostly positive, however some readers pointed out that the good players will inevitably leave our shores and then we are back to square one, which I concur with, but to an extent.

In any case, it's still a win-win situation. Not only would our local clubs benefit from the sale of players, but our national team would as well. Firstly, we would have a more competitive group of players and added depth, which would subsequently encourage and force locally based players to improve. The Association (TTFA) in turn, could establish a system whereby it would receive a percentage from players sales, thus injecting funds back into the national programme.

In other words, the national B-team will basically function as an academy that would benefit everyone involved.

With the impact of falling oil prices already hitting the shores of Trinidad and Tobago and could possibly plummet the oil-rich country into a deep recession, football needs to be run like a business to survive; especially in a society where fans have lost interest in the sport and it’s league is in extremis.

We need a development scheme in T&T to fuel successful youth national teams and test young players in international competitions from an early age. The production line raises the base level of the squad (even for clubs with relatively inefficient or ineffective systems) and promotes competition within the ranks.

To take it a bit further, Trinidad and Tobago currently has over 30 professional players scattered across North and Central America. Some are seasoned professionals, whereas, others are youths and potential T&T prospects that qualify through T&T parentage and are connected to foreign clubs academies. If we delve even further and count College and University players, we have well over 70. That's a combined total of over 100 players. In my opinion finding a mere 4 gems from this pool would be deem a success.

We are now left with a local based team with the option to beef up the squad with a few from the leagues mentioned above which could help propel the national programme to a higher level. For starters, it would be economical and worthwhile to run the national set-up with players that are based right here in CONCACAF, especially if the foreign-based players are not available.

We have to think about what lies ahead for T&T. It’s possible that in a couple of years T&T will no longer have players based in England, unless something magical happens. Apart from Gavin Hoyte, the few others are already over 30 and time is not on their side. If T&T fails to get to Russia in 2018 we could very well see the last of a few England based players we currently have.

Restructuring the League

In 2011, the Trinidad and Tobago's Professional League season was aligned with the major leagues in Europe. Consequently, the League's CEO Dexter Skeene added that aligning the season calendar with that of Europe has afforded the T&T Pro League the opportunity to further link culture with sport to harness and develop the talent of people in Trinidad and Tobago.

Mind you, the idea of having the mixture of sport and culture was done and dusted before one can say Jack Robinson. It became a thing of the past as Pro League teams are normally kicked out of stadiums to host Carnival fetes. The idea had serious ramifications as no one was interested in going to games especially, around Carnival time. Imagine, the top 2 teams in the League draws a meager crowd of about 20 spectators per-match unless, games are played in community fields which only two teams have to their advantage, Point Fortin Civic and San Juan Jabloteh.

The format did however benefit our national team players who ply their trade in Europe, more-so England. But now that the scale has tipped in the direction of CONCACAF and we have more players based on this side of the pond, I believe that we should revert to the original fixture format to accommodate our national programme and to a degree, our clubs.

This will no doubt benefit the national team, as well as the local clubs competing in the CONCACAF club tournaments.

At the CONCACAF level, we have seen T&T clubs under perform and part of this has to do with teams being forced to use the tournament as an early preseason while the Mexican, NSL and MLS leagues are already into half of their season. These issues are clearly exacerbated by the placement of the tournament on the calendar.

Having the Pro League fixtures amended would mean that our so called B-team would become an even stronger unit, because it would give our national coaches easier access to players based in the CONCACAF region. 

As it stands, the Caribbean Cup starts around the same time the leagues in Europe begin and our players based there are coming off a 2 months vacation or are in preseason.

The Caribbean Cup, the CONCACAF Gold Cup and World Cup qualifiers are held on official FIFA dates and usually start in the summer; and with the rearrangement of the T&T league our players would be primed and ready for action.

Sometimes it’s the little things that make all the difference. The following is head coach Stephen Hart’s take on the matter. Hart said, “Many approaches are possible, all with potential setbacks by those whose interest are self serving.”

“One has a group of about 26-30 paid players in constant training as a National Unit. You will also need to play International games on a regular basis.”

“Utilize the Pro League where the players are in national team training for three days and the players released to their clubs two days before league games.”

“The simple approach is to have the squad in camp seven days a month with one or two international games.”

“Now the problem with this is that I do not think we have the quality in all positions to compete with the top teams in CONCACAF should we use this approach. Jamaica tried it and got very poor results.”

“Secondly, once we begin to showcase players, they will get offers abroad and now we lose yet more players and have to fill the gaps. If we do not have money at present to do the minimum, how are going to achieve the above? Who pays the bill? Travel for foreign international games will remain approximately the same amount.”

“We could invite foreign teams to come here, but there is a cost to this and with a 25,000 seating stadium, we will not make much revenue from these games after all expenses.”

“Nonetheless it is worth exploring and should be continued as a discussion, ended Hart.”

“Everald Cummings told SWO: You are on the right track and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand what you are saying.”

“Not only that I had a local team, but I never got the million dollar camps for team preparations and the big salaries.”

“I coached from my experience as a patriot, national player and coach who have been there done that.
I tried to take the strike squad to my level because you must have a level and If I was left alone, we would not have had these problems.”

“Country always came first to me. Flex , you are right on target. I have said that for over thirty years and also proved it, ended the former Strike Squad coach.”

Below are some of T&T's Under 21 team prospects.

Jerren Nixon Jr. (Striker) - Philadelphia Union Academy.
Noah Powder (Midfielder) - New York Red Bulls Academy.
Samory Powder (Midfielder) - New York Red Bulls Academy.
Joshua Virgil (Striker) - New York Red Bulls Academy.
Anthony Herbert (Striker) - New York Red Bulls Academy.
Shannon Gomez (Defender) - New York City FC.
Carlito Williams (Midfield) - Watford FC (UK).
Tyler David (Defender) - Vancouver Whitecaps (MLS).
Christopher Regis (Striker) - Colchester United FC (UK).
Andrew Mohammed (Defender/Midfielder) - Sport União Sintrense (Portugal)
Desevio Payne (Defender) - FC Groningen (Holland).
Shaquell Moore (Defender) - Huracán (Spain).
Christian Koat (Striker) - PDA (US).
Levi Garcia (Winger) - AZ Alkmaar (Holland).
Ryan Inniss (Defender) - Port Vale (UK).
Morgan Bruce (Midfielder) - Stevenage FC (UK)
Daniel Carr (Striker) - Cambridge United (UK).
Panos Nakhid (Midfielder) - American University.
Dayne St Clair (Goalkeeper), Pickering, Ontario, U-19.
Terrell Moore (Holding Midfield) BW Gottschee, U-16.
Ian Blugh (Left Full Back) BW Gottschee, U-16.
Cameron McGregor, Albertson SC, U-16.
Coby McGregor, Albertson SC, U-16.
Chaz Burnett (Midfielder), PDA, NJ.
Josh Burnett (Defender), PDA, NJ.
Kenedie St. Mary (Defender) - Woodland High.
* Nathan Regis (Striker) - Pfeiffer University (23).

Copyrights of the Soca Warriors Online - Any press using the following article written by Inshan Mohammed are welcome to do so providing they reveal the source and writer. Furthermore, no portion of this article may be copied without proper credit as well.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:43:36 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing our football almanac.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 04:17:42 AM »
Top article again Flexo.

Dexter Skeene and DJC Williams know everything.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 10:02:27 AM »
nice drop
how many of these players in the setup?
some names sounding familiar from previous youth teams

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 02:42:45 PM »
Maybe you should send this article to David and Skeene.

They could learn a thing or two.

I've said it in the past and I will say it again, Flex, yourself and Tallman should be directly involved with T&T football at the admin department.

Mr Williams need to make that call.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 02:53:57 AM »
At the CONCACAF level, we have seen T&T clubs under perform and part of this has to do with teams being forced to use the tournament as an early preseason while the Mexican, NSL and MLS leagues are already into half of their season. These issues are clearly exacerbated by the placement of the tournament on the calendar.

Tallman, Flex, anyone.

Do you guys know when the Mexican, MLS and USL starts and ends?

after reading this article I just realised we on a different time zone which could be affecting us especially our local clubs.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:40:01 AM by Sando »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 04:46:32 AM »
Would really be nice to see Shannon Gomez, Tyler David, Noah Powder, Nathan Regis and Ryan Inniss on the senior team soon.

Anyone ever saw Nakhid and Nixon Jr play? or are we going on father rep?

I doubt Shaquell Moore and Desevio Payne will play for us, Anton Corneal really mess us up with Shaquell Moore.

Flex, is Andrew Mohammed related to you?   ;)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 08:25:24 AM »
brilliant again Flex.
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 08:28:11 AM »
on a funny side Note..a few years ago, My young daughter got a small job at a drug store in Santa Cruz...
and a old man come in asking her for " Almanac "...so she never heard the word before..she know about " Calendar " ...so she went and ask the pharmacist if they have a pill called " Almanac...and if its a Heart pill... hahahhaha
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 08:46:36 AM »
on a funny side Note..a few years ago, My young daughter got a small job at a drug store in Santa Cruz...
and a old man come in asking her for " Almanac "...so she never heard the word before..she know about " Calendar " ...so she went and ask the pharmacist if they have a pill called " Almanac...and if its a Heart pill... hahahhaha

:rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 10:10:50 AM »
I must say, the word Almanac took me back.

Classic.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 08:22:23 AM »

For real !!..

;D

Thax all.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 05:38:00 AM »
I feel if Hart invite these players (if given the TTFA support that is) Shaquell Moore, Desevio Payne, Shannon Gomez, Tyler David and Ryan Inniss to play in a few games over the summer, we could find one or two players to help our defence, a position we need to beef up.

Our midfield and forward line seems good, but we really need some work in the back.

We need to also find a good keeper for the future, cause Jan and Marvin is already going on 32.

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 07:54:53 AM »
Sando

You are spot on with Shaq Moore and Ryan Innniss but 100000% especially at keeper. I am not sure who we have in the keeper pipeline but a 34/35 keeper and a 34/35 back up in Russia could be a problem.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 08:47:04 AM »
Sando

You are spot on with Shaq Moore and Ryan Innniss but 100000% especially at keeper. I am not sure who we have in the keeper pipeline but a 34/35 keeper and a 34/35 back up in Russia could be a problem.

We have so much leagues in T&T, pro, super, zone and de SSFL and we cah get one good f00cking young keeper.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 09:42:37 AM »
There is no easy solution to this problem. There has to be good or potential local keepers. The issue is will or desire to invest in nuturing them. The other option is to look abroad for the easy way out. No disrespect to the foreign born TTians. The door will or should always open to them, as long as they show the desire and commitment to the RWB. But the TTFA or the clubs better start nuturing keepers. We due for a turnover in that position very soon or NOW!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 10:12:31 AM »
De 2 keepers we had from we last Olympic team eh good?

Ramjitsingh should be on T&T team, at least training with them.

I say it now and I will say it again, de player have good qualities.

At least it eh go hurt to give him a shot.

We give plenty players free rides to build them back, why not take a chance on a position we really need to beef up.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:14:17 AM by Sam »

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 10:57:36 AM »
Keep hearing bot this Shaquell Moore situation..... If I am not mistaken, he was in direct competition with Shannon Gomez. I said it then and I still believe it that I have no problem with going with Shannon at that time. And it is not at if he has not grown as a player since then as well.

Think about it....if you put Shannon Gamez in the USA setup, does he not excel as well ??

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 06:49:28 AM »
Restructuring the League

In 2011, the Trinidad and Tobago's Professional League season was aligned with the major leagues in Europe. Consequently, the League's CEO Dexter Skeene added that aligning the season calendar with that of Europe has afforded the T&T Pro League the opportunity to further link culture with sport to harness and develop the talent of people in Trinidad and Tobago.

Mind you, the idea of having the mixture of sport and culture was done and dusted before one can say Jack Robinson. It became a thing of the past as Pro League teams are normally kicked out of stadiums to host Carnival fetes. The idea had serious ramifications as no one was interested in going to games especially, around Carnival time. Imagine, the top 2 teams in the League draws a meager crowd of about 20 spectators per-match unless, games are played in community fields which only two teams have to their advantage, Point Fortin Civic and San Juan Jabloteh.

The format did however benefit our national team players who ply their trade in Europe, more-so England. But now that the scale has tipped in the direction of CONCACAF and we have more players based on this side of the pond, I believe that we should revert to the original fixture format to accommodate our national programme and to a degree, our clubs.

This will no doubt benefit the national team, as well as the local clubs competing in the CONCACAF club tournaments.

Having the Pro League fixtures amended would mean that our so called B-team would become an even stronger unit, because it would give our national coaches easier access to players based in the CONCACAF region. 

As it stands, the Caribbean Cup starts around the same time the leagues in Europe begin and our players based there are coming off a 2 months vacation or are in preseason.

The Caribbean Cup, the CONCACAF Gold Cup and World Cup qualifiers are held on official FIFA dates and usually start in the summer; and with the rearrangement of the T&T league our players would be primed and ready for action.

Sometimes it’s the little things that make all the difference. The following is head coach Stephen Hart’s take on the matter. Hart said, “Many approaches are possible, all with potential setbacks by those whose interest are self serving.”

“One has a group of about 26-30 paid players in constant training as a National Unit. You will also need to play International games on a regular basis.”

“Utilize the Pro League where the players are in national team training for three days and the players released to their clubs two days before league games.”

“The simple approach is to have the squad in camp seven days a month with one or two international games.”

“Now the problem with this is that I do not think we have the quality in all positions to compete with the top teams in CONCACAF should we use this approach. Jamaica tried it and got very poor results.”

“Secondly, once we begin to showcase players, they will get offers abroad and now we lose yet more players and have to fill the gaps. If we do not have money at present to do the minimum, how are going to achieve the above? Who pays the bill? Travel for foreign international games will remain approximately the same amount.”

“We could invite foreign teams to come here, but there is a cost to this and with a 25,000 seating stadium, we will not make much revenue from these games after all expenses.”

“Nonetheless it is worth exploring and should be continued as a discussion, ended Hart.”

“Everald Cummings told SWO: You are on the right track and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand what you are saying.”

“Not only that I had a local team, but I never got the million dollar camps for team preparations and the big salaries.”

“I coached from my experience as a patriot, national player and coach who have been there done that.
I tried to take the strike squad to my level because you must have a level and If I was left alone, we would not have had these problems.”

“Country always came first to me. Flex , you are right on target. I have said that for over thirty years and also proved it, ended the former Strike Squad coach.”

Copyrights of the Soca Warriors Online - Any press using the following article written by Inshan Mohammed are welcome to do so providing they reveal the source and writer. Furthermore, no portion of this article may be copied without proper credit as well.

Yuh see de Pro League schedule f00cking up T&T national team.

We have to play Guatemala and USA and them players active in they leagues.

So now Hartie have to pick a bunch of foreign players (except MLS) on preseason and local players who eh play a regular game since de pro league ova in May.

Look W Connection and Central FC going into de Concacaf CL without a warm up.

How much yuh think they go get?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:52:14 AM by Sam »

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 11:01:24 AM »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2020, 07:58:12 AM »
Anyone ever scene Panos Nakhid play?

He comes from good calibre, should be a good player.

The Burnett brothers wasn't bad either for our youth teams.

1]; } ?>