April 27, 2024, 11:15:43 PM

Author Topic: Kelly-Ann Baptiste Thread  (Read 26412 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly-Ann Baptiste Thread
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2015, 10:20:30 AM »
And I  .....  we are quite aware this is OUR Kelly-Ann thread.

I was addressing Aviator with that particular comment so doh beat up!  8)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2015, 11:04:55 AM »
Lol... I didn't bring up the Schippers topic. Just responded to your  post with actual facts of the situation.

PS. Still waiting to find out what is a white horse
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 11:06:38 AM by Aviator »
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2015, 12:55:37 PM »
Lol... I didn't bring up the Schippers topic. Just responded to your  post with actual facts of the situation.

A white horse is the white love of your life that you seem to want to ride!  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2015, 06:01:40 PM »

Hmmmmm.... Unilateral ad hominem attacks. You feeling okay little fella? Need I remind you that it's you that took a well known cliché and changed it to white. May need to look at yourself to see who is obsessed with white.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2015, 08:06:33 PM »

Hmmmmm.... Unilateral ad hominem attacks. You feeling okay little fella? Need I remind you that it's you that took a well known cliché and changed it to white. May need to look at yourself to see who is obsessed with white.

Please don't hold me responsible for your lacking any sense of humour.

Maybe you need to lighten up a little (get a little whiter  ;) ) and stop taking everything so serious.

Anyone with an once of common sense could see that I was being tongue-in-cheek because the sprinter in question is white (and we haven't seen a white dominating 100m sprinter for quite some time since the drug boosted East Germans) but sadly for you, you needed me to point out the obvious that I was being tongue-in-cheek, due to you seemingly lacking any sense of humour.

Little advice, not everything is to be taken so serious my brother, sometimes its good to have a laugh and be tongue-in-cheek which is what I was doing!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 08:21:40 PM by Socapro »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2015, 08:36:49 AM »
Well if you were being sarcastic, my apologies. Lets not hijack the thread any further.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TT athletes have terrible Prefontaine Classic
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2015, 02:12:49 AM »
TT athletes have terrible Prefontaine Classic
Sunday, May 31 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Jehue Gordon (lane 7) hits hurdle just before falling in 2015 Pre 400m hurdles Final

Everything that could go wrong went wrong for Trinidad and Tobago’s athletes yesterday at the Prefontaine Classic in Eugene, Oregon, USA. There was an injury, a stumble and poor performances as no local athlete was close to securing a medal.

World champion Jehue Gordon got TT off on the wrong foot, falling in the Men’s 400m hurdles final which he did not finish. Gordon had a poor start to the race and had significant ground to make up after hitting the final straight in sixth position. But with around 70m to go, Gordon clipped the hurdle and fell flat out of the race. Further up the track, it was USA 1-2-3 with Johnny Dutch (48.20), Bershawn Jackson (48.22) and Michael Tinsley (48.79) occupying the podium places respectively.

Michelle-Lee Ahye (lane 6) clutches leg & just manages to finish race in Pre 100m Final;
Kelly-Ann Baptiste (lane 7) finished in 6th position in 11.08 just behind Carmelita Jeter

In the women’s 100m Diamond final, TT were well represented with Michelle Lee Ahye, lining up alongside compatriot Kelly-Ann Baptiste, in a high-powered field.

With Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce of Jamaica, American Carmelita Jeter and Blessing Okagbare-Ighoteguonor of Nigeria also competing, the TT athletes were pressed to produce their best. The TT women were both slow out of the blocks and Ahye, whose season was truncated in 2014 due to injury, again fell victim to the injury bug as she began clutching her hamstring with about 30m to go. The ace TT sprinter’s momentum carried her across the finish line in last spot in 11.90. Baptiste was in sixth place in a time of 11.08. Fraser-Pryce was in sensational form in snatching gold but was pushed to her limit by Ivory Coast’s Murielle Ahoure - both were timed at 10.81. American Tori Bowie (10.82) took bronze.

It was another disappointment for the red, white and black in the Men’s 100m race as national record holder Richard Thompson, running out of lane eight, placed seventh. Thompson was never in contention, stopping the clock at a slow 10.27.

USA’s Tyson Gay, who was recently stripped of his 2012 London Olympic silver medal for doping, brushed off the criticism he has been receiving with a slick 9.88 performance. Taking silver and bronze were USA’s Michael Rodgers and China’s Su Bingtian respectively.

Kirani James, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce & Justin Gatlin ran World Leads at 2015 Pre Classic

Meanwhile, there was no stopping Olympic champion Kirani James of Grenada in the Men’s 400m event. James torched the field and American rival Lashawn Merritt in a world leading golden time of 43.95. Merritt had to settle for silver in 44.51 while Christopher Brown of Bahamas followed in 44.54.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 02:15:07 AM by Socapro »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2015, 11:24:14 AM »
KAB has run some excellent times so far. Mark my words, KAB will be giving Bowie and Safp a run soon. Remember it's been almost 2 years since KAB has run competitively. She has done exceptionally well considering her long lay off. Once she works out the mechanics and finds her legs, I think we will see a new NR and/or a 10.7x.

Next up is Semoy. We will see if she lives up.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Baptiste hails St Fort ...Bright future for T&T in women's sprinting
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2015, 01:43:09 PM »
Baptiste hails St Fort
Bright future for T&T in women's sprinting

By Kwame Laurence (T&T Express)
Published on Aug 28, 2015, 8:16 pm AST

100 FINAL: Trinidad and Tobago's Kelly-Ann Baptiste, right, and Nigeria's Blessing Okagbare, at the end of the IAAF World Championship women's 100 metres final, in Beijing, China, on Monday. Baptiste finished sixth in 11.01 seconds, while Okagbare was eighth in 11.02.

PLENTY POTENTIAL: Khalifa St Fort at the IAAF World Youth Championships in Cali, Colombia, last month. The Trinidad and Tobago sprinter earned silver in the girls’ 100 metres. —Photos: © Getty Images for IAAF.

BEIJING

The future of female sprinting in Trinidad and Tobago is in good hands.

A glimpse of what lies ahead was provided by Kelly-Ann Baptiste and Michelle-Lee Ahye in Monday's IAAF World Championship women's 100 metres final. There was a time, not long ago, when mere female representation at a major senior global meet was an achievement in itself. Now, for the first time, the country can boast of multiple finalists at the highest level.

Josanne Lucas was the first female T&T medallist at the IAAF World Championships, securing 400 metres hurdles bronze at the 2009 edition of the meet in Berlin, Germany. Baptiste followed up two years later, in Daegu, Korea with a medal of the same colour in the 100m dash.

And in 2015, Ahye joined Baptiste in the championship race, the T&T sprinters finishing fifth and sixth, respectively. Baptiste told the Express she is confident the country can go one better at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and field three women in the century final.

“I really think it could be done. The way we are running right now, in order to make the team, you're going to have to step it up. With that in mind, if we have three women running sub-11, definitely three of us could be in the final.”

Baptiste is the national record holder in the women's 100m at 10.84 seconds, while Ahye is just behind with a 10.85 personal best. Next in the T&T pecking order is Semoy Hackett, whose fastest run in the event is 11.10. She was a 100m semi-finalist here in Beijing, and also reached the penultimate round in the 200m.

Though she is just 17, Khalifa St Fort is fourth fastest of the current crop of T&T sprinters at 11.19 seconds, the clocking she produced in capturing silver at last month's IAAF World Youth Championships in Cali, Colombia.

Under the guidance of quadruple Olympic medallist Ato Boldon, St Fort lowered her personal best from 11.51 at the start of the 2015 season to 11.19.

Baptiste is very impressed with St Fort, and believes she has a bright future in the sport.

“I don't think she's good just because of the times, but I spent some time around Khalifa and she reminds me of myself. She's a little bit of a perfectionist. She likes to do everything perfect, she wants to get everything right.

“Even though that could be detrimental at times, it helped me to get where I was going because I was so stuck on doing everything right and having everything perfect. Khalifa's attitude is going to get her really far. She has already done great to be running 11.19 at 17 years old. That's a big accomplishment.”

St Fort, who followed up on World Youth silver with Pan American Junior Championship gold in 11.31 seconds, is part of T&T's women's 4x100m squad here in Beijing. Five of the six women in the relay pool are in the top ten on the all-time T&T performance list, and seven of the top ten are active sprinters.

Baptiste (10.84) and Ahye (10.85) are first and second, respectively, while Hackett (11.10) is fourth, just behind Angela Williams (11.09) who represented T&T in the 1980s and 90s. Another retired sprinter, Fana Ashby (11.12) is fifth. St Fort (11.19) is currently in sixth spot but, all things being equal, will surely be moving up.

Kai Selvon (11.21) is seventh. She is just 23 but had injury problems this season and is not at the World Championships. Selvon is expected to challenge for a spot on the T&T team for next year's Rio Olympics.

Reyare Thomas (11.22), who reached the 200m semi-finals at the 2015 World Champs, is joint eighth with Lou Ann Williams. Rounding off the top ten is Ayanna Hutchinson (11.26), who recently struck 100m gold at the World Masters Athletics Championships in France.

Baptiste said she is thrilled about the country's strength in depth.

“And now with Khalifa coming up, women's sprinting in Trinidad and Tobago is really stepping it up a notch. I'm excited for what the future has to offer. And it's good to know that whenever I decide to come out the sport there's always going to be others behind me who are running at a very elite level.”

Baptiste, Ahye, Hackett, St Fort, Thomas and Kamaria Durant are the women in the Beijing 2015 relay pool. At 12.08 this morning (TT time), T&T will run in the second of two heats. United States, Ukraine and Netherlands are three of their opponents in the race. Baptiste, Ahye, Thomas and St Fort, running in that order, are expected to be the four for the qualifying round, with Hackett coming in for St Fort if they advance to the final, scheduled for 8.45 this morning.

After press time, last night, T&T competed in the second of two men's 4x400m qualifying heats. The final is at 8.25 tomorrow (Sunday) morning.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 01:56:21 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Baptiste joins Boldon camp*
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2015, 10:10:31 PM »
Baptiste joins Boldon camp*
By Kwame Laurence, kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Published on Oct 18, 2015, 11:44 pm AST (T&T Express)

T&T SPRINT QUEEN: Kelly-Ann Baptiste competes at the IAAF World Championships in Beijing, China, in August. —Photo: AP

Kelly-Ann Baptiste has her heart set on earning an individual medal at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and has put her faith in Ato Boldon in pursuit of that goal. On Monday November 2, the Trinidad and Tobago track star will begin her Rio preparations in Miramar, Florida, USA, under the watchful eyes of Coach Ato.

Baptiste told the Express the decision to switch training camps was a very tough one. “I have had a great career under the guidance of Lance Brauman. It was practically when I moved to Clermont (Florida) my career took off. So it was very difficult. “I wanted a change, a different environment. It wasn’t that the environment I was in was bad but I think we all get to pivotal points in life where we just want a change.”

Boldon, who captured four Olympic medals for T&T, will also coach triple Olympic silver medallist Richard “Torpedo” Thompson on the Road to Rio. “It’s definitely an honour,” Boldon told the Express, “to have in my camp now the greatest sprinters, both male and female, of the generation that followed mine. “It’s a surprise anytime someone you admire asks you to be their coach, but Kelly-Ann and I have had a good relationship that goes back to when she was a Carifta champion at home, when Tobago hosted.”
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:50:43 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
More 200s for Thompson, Baptiste, says coach Ato *
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2015, 10:12:20 PM »
More 200s for Thompson, Baptiste, says coach Ato *
Published on Oct 19, 2015, 8:08 pm AST (T&T Express)

YOUNG CHARGES: Coach Ato Boldon, right, back row, poses with his group of young athletes at Ansin Sports Complex in Miramar, Florida, USA. Standing next to Boldon is 15-year-old Gabriel Serrano. Standing in the front are 17-year-old Sarah Wollaston, left, 10-year-old Samantha Kavanagh and 17-year-old Khalifa St Fort. --Photo courtesy ATO BOLDON

The Ato Boldon training camp is located in Miramar, Florida, USA, but has a distinctly Trinidad and Tobago feel to it. Richard "Torpedo" Thompson is the national record holder in the men's 100 metres at a sizzling 9.82 seconds. Kelly-Ann Baptiste, meanwhile, is the fastest-ever T&T woman, having clocked 10.84 on two occasions.

Both Thompson and Baptiste will be coached by Boldon in the build-up to the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Another T&T athlete, 2015 IAAF World Youth Championship girls' 100m silver medallist Khalifa St Fort is part of the Boldon camp. Sarah Wollaston, who will challenge for a spot on T&T's 2016 Carifta Games team, started training with the quadruple Olympic medallist last week. And American quartermiler Natasha Hastings, who will train twice a month in Florida under Boldon's guidance, is a Trinbagonian of sorts. Her mother, Joanne Gardner-Hastings represented T&T in athletics.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:15:09 PM by Socapro »

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2015, 10:08:58 AM »
Just reminiscing and came across this

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hgnQ_6FyIng" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hgnQ_6FyIng</a>

I believe this was one of KAB's best starts and I'm excited because I believe under Ato she can get back to this and be better. Simply because both her and Richard will be able to benefit from his 200m expertise.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:40:19 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2016, 04:30:58 AM »

National sprint queen and 2011 World Championships bronze medalist Kelly-Ann Baptiste has her eyes on a medal at the upcoming Rio olympic games, and she's already putting things in place to fulfil that ambition. Reporter Astil Renn had a one and one recently with the sprint star.
WATCH: http://www.cnc3.co.tt/sports/rundown-rio-kelly-ann-baptiste

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Baptiste hopes switch to Boldon brings reward
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2016, 11:12:48 PM »
Baptiste hopes switch to Boldon brings reward
By ASHFORD JACKMAN Wednesday, January 6 2016 (T&T Newsday)

Kelly-Ann Baptiste at Ato Boldon's Training Camp with Richard Thompson

NATIONAL SPRINTER Kelly- Ann Baptiste is working hard toward what may well be her final attempt at achieving every athlete’s greatest desire- an Olympic medal.

As the months are counted down to the Games in Rio de Janeiro, the Tobago-born, 29-yearold Florida-based sprinter is sparing no effort in the drive to be at her best for the most prestigious event in the greatest global competiton in the world.

“I’ve been with my coach previously for five years, and we won world championship bronze, we were in the Olympic final; so I’ve had some level of success,” she told Newsday at the recent TTOC Sports Awards for 2015. “For me, I realise that I’m not getting any younger and an Olympic medal has eluded me and that’s something I want to achieve; and so I felt that right now was the best time to make a change in order to go forth in that direction.” That change has been a move to Ato Boldon’s training camp, where she hopes to develop the consistency necessary to be a contender over the shortest event (by distance) in a Summer Games.

Until the dominance of Usain Bolt, Boldon, with one silver and three bronze medals, was the Caribbean’s most successful Olympic sprinter. Now, he is training all his experience and know-how on developing the careers of others; and Baptiste is among those who have turned to the savvy commentator/coach to raise their performance levels.

“Training has been going well,” Kelly-Ann said, when asked about the experience of a coach and camp. “It’s different, and I think that’s probably the biggest hurdle- in adjusting.” A seasoned campaigner and the natural leader of the TT women’s sprint relay squad that took 4x100m bronze at last year’s World Championships in Beijing, Baptiste was always likely to adapt easily, even though she did admit there were some differences.

“I wouldn’t say that we did that much different than my past training environment and regime,” she said. “It’s probably more so in terms of the size- it’s only myself and Richard (Thompson) that train together.

Khalifa (St Fort) and other athletes train separately. So the attention is different, the one-on-one attention is just different.” Being home for Christmas was probably the only break the 2011 World Championship bronze medallist would enjoy before Rio.

“Right now we’re doing off-season training, which involves a lot of running and heavy lifting,” she continued. “We haven’t even started sprinting yet, and when I go back in January, because we plan on running a couple indoor races, we’re gonna start to put on spikes and do block work and sprinting and stuff.” Apart from the 100 metres, Kelly-Ann is also looking forward to reuniting with her sprint relay teammates and bidding for another podium place in the women’s 4x100 in Rio. In Beijing, Baptiste, Michelle-Lee Ahye, Reyare Thomas and Semoy Hackett finished behind Jamaica and the United States; their prospects for Rio, once they stay healthy, are considered excellent.

Baptiste has twice achieved her fastest 100m clocking of 10.84 seconds; she was sixth in the London 2012 final in 10.94 and she ran 10.98 when snatching World Championship bronze in Daegu, South Korea. Those stats support the concept that more than running fastest, what earns a track athlete success at a major championship is being able to produce fast times through every round, all the way to and including the final. In track and field, eight months can be an eternity; still, TT will be praying that the name Kelly-Ann Baptiste is on the scoreboard and in the starting blocks when the world’s fastest women line up in the final in Brazil later this year.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:13:14 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lendore and Lalonde sizzle* ...Victory for Baptiste in Louisiana
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »
Lendore and Lalonde sizzle*
...Victory for Baptiste in Louisiana

Published on Feb 20, 2016, 8:27 pm AST (T&T Express)

Deon Lendore: FAST 400 at Arkansas Qualifier indoor meet

Deon Lendore produced a sizzler at the Arkansas Qualifier indoor meet, in the United States, on Friday. The Trinidad and Tobago quarter-miler topped the men’s 400 metres field with a 45.56 seconds run. American Marqueze Washington finished second in 45.72.
T&T’s Kadisha Francois was second in section three and seventh overall in the women’s 200m, the Missouri State University student getting home in 24.73 seconds.

In New York, yesterday, T&T quartermiler Lalonde Gordon produced a scorching 45.51 seconds run in the Millrose Games men’s 400m event, but had to settle for silver, behind Grenada’s Bralon Taplin (45.35).
Gordon (45.51) and Lendore (45.56) are now second and third, respectively on the 2016 world indoor performance list. Taplin is at the top with a 45.20 clocking.

Kelly-Ann Baptiste was dominant on Friday at the Louisiana State University (LSU) Twilight Meet. The T&T sprint star stopped the clock at 7.20 seconds for victory in the women’s 60m dash. American Erica Alexander was a distant second in 7.34.

T&T SPRINT QUEEN: Kelly-Ann Baptiste 7.20 in women’s 60m dash at (LSU) Twilight Meet
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:48:18 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2016, 07:12:57 AM »

Sprinter Kelly Ann Baptiste is no longer being coached by Ato Boldon. Speaking to C Sports, the 4-time Olympic Medallist confirmed that the separation was a mutual understanding.

WATCH: https://www.facebook.com/csportslive/videos/1154273777957586/

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2016, 01:16:07 PM »
Hope It works out for her. One thing that will make the transition easier is that she is returning to familiar surroundings that she didn't leave to long ago.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2016, 02:13:48 PM »
I know I'm in not in her shoes and like Ato said this could be her last Oly in her prime but I just wish she would have waited, I'm sure Ato would help her peak at the right time. Just wish her the best.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2016, 06:36:41 PM »
All the best to KAB.

I think earlier this season KAB said her goal is to lower her PB this season to 10.7x range by the summer and just in time for the Olympics.

If KAB can do that then she should be in the Olympic 100m final and vying for a medal.

I was hoping that Ato could have encouraged KAB to run more 200ms this season to build up her speed endurance which would ultimately help her in the 100m to get down to those 10.7x times that will be required for her to medal in the 100m in Rio.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 01:02:44 AM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>