April 27, 2024, 01:22:49 AM

Author Topic: 2016 CONCACAF Women U-15 Thread  (Read 7518 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 CONCACAF Women U-15 Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2016, 05:21:56 PM »
CU15G Q&A: Derrica Ferguson (Bahamas)
CONCACAF

The players at the 2016 CONCACAF U-15 Girls’ Championship are as equally impressive off the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex fields as they are on them. On Thursday, Derrica Ferguson captained the Bahamas to a 4-1 win over Antigua & Barbuda in the tournament opener for both sides. Ferguson also competed in last year’s Caribbean under-17 qualifying tournament and is using that experience to help her team reach its potential in Orlando. Just minutes after the win, she sat down with CONCACAF.com to talk about soccer and other important things.

What were your impressions of the Bahamas’ win in its 2016 CONCACAF U-15 Girls’ Championship opener against Antigua & Barbuda?

Well, it was really hard, first of all. The players on [Antigua & Barbuda] were playing physically compared to how we play, so we had a little trouble adjusting. We had a little nerves. We then played how we know…passing the ball.

What are some of the Bahamas’ objectives at the CONCACAF U-15 Girls’ Championship?

We want to get past the group stage and then hopefully get past the quarterfinals. Wherever that leads us, we’ll take it.

You played last year in the Caribbean under-17 qualifying tournament. How has playing at an older age group helped you with the U15s?

I learned a couple of tricks from the older girls and I’m able to take that back to this team, helping in the best way that I can.

As captain of the Bahamas U15s, what do you see as your main responsibilities?

My responsibilities include encouraging my teammates. Whenever I see them drifting off, I help them get back in it; encourage and motivate them, telling them it is OK.

How did you first get involved with soccer and why?

In grade five, I started playing soccer. I started with my school team because I wanted to be involved and I developed a love for soccer.

Who is your favorite soccer player and why?

I love Brazil’s Thiago Silva because he is a calm defensive center back.

If there is any player that you could play with, besides Thiago Silva, who would that be?

Lionel Messi. He comes back. He’s not only an offensive player, he is a defender as well. He helps with the back line and I really love that about players.

When you’re not playing soccer, what are some of your favorite things to do?

I like to read. I’m also involved with church actively, singing, dancing whatever I can do.

What places have you visited, besides Orlando, for soccer or vacation?

Turks & Caicos, the Dominican Republic and Fort Lauderdale and Miami in the United States.

What are some of your goals in and out of soccer as you look to the future?

I want to become known in the soccer world. I’m hoping to get a scholarship at the school that I want to attend…Michigan State University. I want to become an osteopathic doctor.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 05:37:06 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2016, 06:31:38 PM »
All we have to do is beat Mexico in the next game to place 2nd in the group

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2016, 07:01:47 PM »

I happy for the win against DR but we all know the truth behind beating those very weak Caribbean teams. These wins cannot be used as a measuring stick to measure if the team learned from the defeat against the US because these Caribbean nations play very poorly.

Ah hear yuh.

However, still have to state that we are in a group with the US and Mexico. Unlikely that would have happened had seeding being used as a factor. On the face of it, this is a "development tournament" but to get the full benefit of that we need more than the four games on offer.

Being in a group with BOTH the US and Mexico is tough.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2016, 07:06:19 PM »

Curious to see how Haiti will cope.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2016, 10:19:20 AM »

Do we play Haiti today?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2016, 10:25:07 AM »

Do we play Haiti today?

Tomorrow.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2016, 10:27:51 AM »
T&T bounces back brilliantly at CU15G
CONCACAF

Suppose, for a second, that you’re a young footballer and brand new to the international game.

Then, you’re told that your first-ever game will be against the United States at the United States in the CONCACAF U-15 Girls’ Championship.

All of the sudden you’re on the perfectly manicured fields of Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, standing across from opponents who might become the next Carli Lloyd, Alex Morgan or even the rising 18-year-old star Mallory Pugh.

The opening whistle blows and, seconds later, you fall behind 1-0 on the way to a 22-0 loss.

How would you respond to such an experience, especially when another game has to be played 24 hours later?

Well, if you ever find yourself in that situation, think of Trinidad & Tobago. It responded in the best possible way to that reality, bouncing back beautifully to earn a 4-0 win over the Dominican Republic.

“This is a new a group,” T&T head coach Marlon Charles told CONCACAF.com after the victory. “This is the first time they’ve ever played anything at this level. So can you imagine, the first they’ve played is against America? It was an awakening, but it is also learning.”

One of the lessons absorbed was to score early in order to boost confidence. Annika Daniel did just that in the second minute to give her team a 1-0 lead. Aaliyah Prince then exploded for three goals in the second half.

“Today they responded for me in a very positive way…for them,” continued Charles. “I’m very happy for them that they showed they could comeback. That showed they didn’t give up because of the goals (conceded against the U.S.). That was out of there. That was yesterday, so I’m really proud of them. To comeback and rebound 4-0, it says a lot and there’s some character there.

“They never dropped their heads because that’s how I train them. Always believe in yourself. Sometimes you’ll fail and sometimes you’ll get better.”

After standing up impressively to adversity, the next question to be answered by Trinidad is: how will it build on success? The next match is on Saturday against Haiti, which fell 2-0 to Mexico in its opener.

“Haiti is also an aggressive team,” Charles commented. “This next game will be a test for [my players]. I’m looking forward to that test because after this victory, they will have something on their shoulders…hey, we won one.

“I think it will be great for them. But the plan is not to put pressure on them. I want them to enjoy this moment…enjoy the experience. With every game, they will get better.

And, after all, that’s what the CU15G is all about.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2016, 06:40:00 AM »
2016 CONCACAF U-15 Girls’ Championship
ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex – Orlando, Florida, USA
Match Recaps – Friday, August 12, 2016

The United States (3W-0D-0L, 9 points) and Puerto Rico (3-0-0, 9) earned quarterfinal places in the 2016 CONCACAF U-15 Girls’ Championship thanks to wins in Group A and Group C, respectively, on Friday at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.

A goal by the USA’s Sunshine Fontes deep into first-half stoppage time proved to be the difference in a 1-0 win over talented Haiti (0-0-2, 0), which nearly equalized in the match’s closing minutes.

Puerto Rico remained hot, striking for three goals in the first half and four after the break, in a 7-1 defeat of Grenada (0-1-1, 1).

Barbados also improved to 2-0-0, topping Anguilla 2-0, as Tiana Sealy (9’) scored early for her fourth goal in two outings.

Here’s the days results (please check back for expanded details later today):

GROUP A

Dominican Republic 0  Mexico 9

USA 1  Haiti 0

GROUP C

St. Vincent & the Grenadines 0  Nicaragua 1

Puerto Rico 7 Grenada 1

GROUP D

Anguilla 0 Barbados 2

US Virgin Islands 0  Curacao 6
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 06:45:00 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2016, 09:52:57 AM »
Trinidad and Tobago U-15 Girls lose 5-0 to Haiti
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2016, 09:59:17 AM »

This was the pivotal game. Ball dropped between 2014 and present

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »

"And there goes 2014, flushed down the toilet...."
Maylee

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »
CU15G Recap: August 13, 2016
CONCACAF

Table-topping Bermuda (2W-0D-0L, 6 points) edged closer to a place in the 2016 CONCACAF U-15 Girls’ Championship quarterfinals with a 3-1 win over Group E rival Bahamas on Saturday at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.

Leilanni Nesbeth netted a goal in each half to take her tournament total to three and Adia Gibbons added another in a performance that featured another strong defensive performance.  On Thursday, the Bermudians shutout for a second straight outing.  On Thursday, the Bermudians shutout the Cayman Islands, 3-0.

After agonizing 1-0 losses to Mexico and the United States, Haiti (1-0-2, 3) remained alive by defeating Trinidad & Tobago (1-0-2, 3), 5-0, with all the goals coming in the first.  Melchie Daelle Dumonay netted three goals, while Sheelove Joseph and Angeline Gustave added one apiece.

The United States completed Group A by clinching first place, outdistancing the Dominican Republic, 7-0, and improving to 4-0-0.  Samantha Meza and Sunshine Fontes struck for two goals in the victory.

As did the U.S., unblemished Canada (4-0-0) also secured a top seed on the strength of 6-0 Group B triumph over El Salvador.  Sydney Kennedy led the way with a hat-trick.

Jamaica and the Cayman Islands also notched their first wins, beating Venezuela (2-1) and Antigua & Barbuda (3-0), respectively.

Here’s the days results (please check back for expanded details later):

GROUP A
Haiti 5, Trinidad & Tobago 0
Dominican Republic 0, United States 7

GROUP C
St. Vincent & the Grenadines 0, Nicaragua
Puerto Rico 7, Grenada 1

GROUP D
Anguilla 0, Barbados 2
US Virgin Islands 0, Curacao 6

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2016, 08:53:10 AM »
CU15G Q&A: Nia Woods (US Virgin Islands)
CONCACAF

ORLANDO, Florida – In the second of CONCACAF.com’s series of 2016 CONCACAF U-15 Girls’ Championship Q&A’s, US Virgin Islands captain Nia Woods shares her thoughts on football and what she hopes to achieve in the future. The impressive defender has big goals, demonstrating superbly the role that women’s football can play in personal growth.

What are the USVI’s objectives at the 2016 CONCACAF U-15 Girls’ Championship?

This is our first international tournament, so we’re definitely working on technique and footwork. We’d also like to improve on getting the ball up the field more frequently.

What does it mean to you to represent the US Virgin Islands?

I feel grateful because not everybody gets this opportunity.

When did you first start playing soccer and why?

It first started when I was four-years-old in Pittsburgh and I played in a winter soccer league. Then I moved to St. Thomas (in the US Virgin Islands) and got involved with the club there. I’ve made a lot of improvements, and can even be on the bigger team and progress more.

Who is your favorite soccer player and why?

My favorite football player is Neymar. I just like everything he does, how he plays the ball and how he moves. I just love it. And, his hair is awesome.

Besides Neymar, is there [a] player in the history of soccer with whom you’d like to be on the same field?

Definitely, Cristiano Ronaldo. I can learn a lot from him, just like how he does his footwork. His footwork is awesome.

What has been the highlight of your soccer career thus far?

The highlight of my soccer career is this tournament.

When you’re not playing soccer, what are some things you enjoy doing?

I play basketball and volleyball. I like to bake, but my main focus is sports.

What are some of your goals academically and with soccer?

Academically, I want to progress more and I want to become a general surgeon. With soccer, I want to be with U20 and U17 teams…maybe get a scholarship.

Are there any places that you would like to visit for soccer or vacation reasons?

I would definitely want to go Argentina or Brazil to play soccer.

As an athlete, what motivates you every day?

I’m just hungry for sports. I just love it…the aggression. I don’t even know how to say it, I just love everything about it.   

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2016, 08:54:47 AM »
At the CU15G, Ruiz is always ready for Nicaragua
CONCACAF

She may be from New Orleans in the United States, but when it comes to football, Stephanie Ruiz is Nicaragua all the way.

With the assistance of her uncle, the 14-year-old attended a tryout and earned a spot on the country’s selection for the 2016 CONCACAF U-15 Girls’ Championship, which is currently being contested at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.

After three games, Nicaragua has posted 1W-1D-1L record. In a draw with Grenada (1-1, August 9) and a win over St. Vincent & the Grenadines (1-0, August 12), it conceded only a single goal. The other result was 4-1 loss to sharp Puerto Rico on August 10.

Ruiz is enjoying the experience of playing international football for the country of her family.

“It was really good, it was fun and it was good to play with the team,” she told CONCACAF.com after her international debut in the opening stalemate against Grenada. “I expected it to be hard. All the players were really good.”

Once Ruiz was named to the squad, she remained with it in Managua to train: “We would practice every day from 3-5. I kind of expected everything.”

One of the things that has impressed Ruiz about the Nicaraguan side is its willingness to work together and strong defense, noting that it “never gives up.”

Most of all, the versatile attacking player -- with strong passing abilities -- is happy to be in Orlando, playing the sport she loves.

“It’s very exciting, it’s different,” finished Ruiz. “A very good experience.”

And the start of what looks to be a long and productive journey with Nicaragua.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CONCACAF News Thread
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2016, 09:00:30 AM »
Momentum builds as Bermuda remains perfect at CU15G
CONCACAF

Bermuda is off to a flying start at the 2016 CONCACAF U-15 Championship, improving to 2W-0D-0L and owning sole possession of first place in Group E after a 3-1 win over the Bahamas on Saturday at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.

Part of the reason for the Bermudians’ early success has been the play of its defense, which shutout the Cayman Islands, 3-0, in the opener for each Thursday.

“I thought we played really good, communication was good,” defender Megan Titterton told CONCACAF.com after the Cayman encounter. “It was pretty good. I was nervous at the beginning, like our whole team. Once we got onto the pitch, we were good.”

After two games in the inaugural U-15 event two years ago in the Cayman Islands, Bermuda only earned a single point. The squad’s improvement and degree development has observers taking note.

When asked about the pre-tournament preparations, Titterton noted that training was “intense,” remarking: “We trained almost every single day, sometimes for the whole day…in the gym every week, weekend.”

With six total goals from its first two outings, offensively, Bermuda has been led by Leilanni Nesbeth’s three.

“We can finish strongly,” noted Titterton about the attack, adding, “We always have good constructive criticism for each other and we cheer each other on.”

There is a definite feel-good factor about Bermuda, which can earn a quarterfinal meeting with the Group A winner by virtue of topping its own table.

Titterton is expecting the momentum to continue building.

“To win and keep a positive attitude,” she finished, commenting on the side’s ultimate objectives in Orlando.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2016, 09:05:16 AM »
Latest results (today)

Curacao 3 Barbados 0
St. Lucia 2 Grenada 1
Bermuda 7 Antigua and Barbuda 1

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2016, 04:08:43 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago U-15 Girls end their CONCACAF U-15 Girls’ Championship campaign with an 11-0 loss to Mexico.

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2016, 06:39:11 PM »
22-0 USA
 5-0  Haiti
11-0 Mexico

0-5 DR

Negative 33 Goal Difference
1 Win 3 Losses

WIRED868
And the most goals Trinidad and Tobago ever conceded in an international tournament was 26, which they let in at the 2013 CONCACAF Under-17 Championship after defeats to the United States (8-0), Canada (11-0) and Guatemala (7-0).

Charles was also head coach of the Trinidad and Tobago Under-17 team at that CONCACAF competition

Will Marlon Charles serve as Head Coach of another TnT national team?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2016, 03:01:25 AM »
U-15 Girls end Championship with defeat to Mexico.
TTFA Media.

Trinidad and Tobago’s National Under 15 Girls Team ended their campaign at the CONCACAF Under 15 Girls Championship with a 11-0 defeat to Mexico at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Arena in Orlando on Monday.

The defeat was the third in four matches for T&T which defeated Dominican Republic 4-0 but lost to the United States (22-0), Haiti (5-0) prior to today’s defeat.

Team head coach Marlon Charles, though disappointed with the results,  said he felt there was a lot to take from the experience for his players who were engaged in an international tournament for the very first time.

“Tough game for the players. They did what they could have done. I am proud of the effort the players made during this tournament,  a lot was learnt and seeing what is required to play. And time is the most important area because there is not shortcut in the development of football,” Charles told TTFA Media.

“I know the girls will be disappointed and a lot will be said about the results but we have a bunch here that knows what it is to face up to the Mexicans and the Americans from a young age which is not something we have had often in the past and this will serve them well going forward,” Charles added.

T&T finished third in the inaugural Under 15 Championship in 2014, defeating Honduras in the third place encounter.

Mexico, Costa Rica and St. Lucia claimed the last three available slots in the 2016 CONCACAF U-15 Girls’ Championship quarterfinals, completing group play with wins on Monday at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.

The Mexicans (3W-0D-1L, 9 points) finished as runner-up in Group A behind the United States (4-0-0, 12) thanks to an 11-0 win over T&T  as Alison Gonzalez equaled a tournament record with five goals.

Nicole Gomez scored two goals and Costa Rica (2-1-1, 7) edged Jamaica (2-0-2, 6) by a single point for second in Group B, topping Venezuela (0-0-4, 0), 4-1.

St. Lucia took second place in Group C on the strength of a 1-0 victory against Nicaragua.  An early own-goal proved to be the difference.

August 15, 2016 Results

Group A
Haiti 5, Dominican Republic 0
Trinidad & Tobago 0, Mexico 11

Group B
Jamaica 4, El Salvador 0
Venezuela 1, Costa Rica 4

Group C
Grenada 3, St. Vincent & the Grenadines 5
St. Lucia 1, Nicaragua 0

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2016, 04:24:25 AM »
Team head coach Marlon Charles, though disappointed with the results,  said he felt there was a lot to take from the experience for his players who were engaged in an international tournament for the very first time.

The actual challenge to/for the TTFA is: how is this to be measured? Pursue tangibles.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 04:53:17 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2016, 08:13:06 AM »
Mr Charles, i'm sorry, but it's not working out. Please give someone else a chance. Is plenty years now, thanks for your yeoman service, unfortunately as good as any experience is, consistently losing does not indicate or encourage development. :salute: Thanks again

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2016, 07:46:21 AM »
How is this possible vs teams in your region and is there a technical team to help oversee the programs??

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2016, 08:56:33 AM »

"And there goes 2014, flushed down the toilet...."
Maylee

I doubt Maylee is "surprised".

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2016, 06:39:08 PM »
ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex – Orlando, Florida, USA
Semifinal Match Recaps – August 19, 2016

Canada will get a chance to defend its CONCACAF U-15 Girls’ Championship crown against the United States, when they meet in Sunday’s final at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex (recaps below).

The pair posted final-four wins on Friday, with Canada rallying for a 3-1 win over Mexico and the U.S. topping Costa Rica, 5-0.

The North American powers have combined for a 12W-0D-0L record in the competition, scoring a total of 69 goals and conceding only one. 

United States 5, Costa Rica 0

Gabrielle Robinson scored 40 seconds after the opening whistle and the United States never looked back in 5-0 triumph over Costa Rica. The Americans improved to 6-0-0 overall in the competition, posting a shutout in each outing and netting a remarkable 37 goals. In the 23rd minute, Kalyssa Van Zanten struck for the first of her two straight goals. Samantha Meza did well to maintain possession in the right side of the box, before floating a cross to Van Zanten, whose effort took a deflection before rolling across the line. The duo combined again just prior to halftime as another Meza cross allowed Van Zanten (35’+1) a simple header. Mia Fishel (39’) and Payton Linnehan (44’) closed the U.S. goal account early in the second, with each notching a goal to follow-up on a pair hat-trick performances against Bermuda in the quarterfinals.

Canada 3, Mexico 1

Anette Vazquez (5’) gave Mexico an early 1-0 lead, but Canada scored three goals before halftime to earn a 3-1. The goal was the first conceded by the Canadians in the entire competition and the response was swift. Two minutes later, Jordyn Huitema equalized and Jayde Riviere netted the game-winner in the 15th minute. The impressive Huitema struck for an insurance goal in the 21st minute, taking her goal haul to six in Canada’s last two games.

Canada head coach Carmelina Moscato

“It was a wonderful match by both teams,” said Canada head coach Carmelina Moscato. “I thought it was well played, well fought and I love that at the end of the day our Canadians are as resilient as ever. We bounced back from 1-nil down. The first adversity, the first goal we gave up all tournament. The reaction was fantastic. You couldn’t have asked for anything more.”

Match for Third Place and Final Pairings (all times ET)

Sunday – August 21, 2016

Match for Third Place

Costa Rica v Mexico, 9:00 a.m.

Final

USA v Canada, 11:00 a.m.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 06:42:25 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2016, 11:19:34 AM »
CU15G Recap: August 21, 2016 (Third Place Match)
CONCACAF

Alison Gonzalez (15’, 67’) and Dania Perez (18’, 25’) scored two goals each as Mexico posted a 5-1 win over Costa Rica in 2016 CONCACAF U-15 Girls’ Championship match for third place on Sunday at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.

2016 CONCACAF U-15 Girls’ Championship – Match for Third Place
August 21, 2016: ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex – Orlando, Florida, USA

Costa Rica-Mexico 1-5 (1-4)

Priscila Chinchilla 24’ / Alison Gonzalez 15’, 67’; Dania Perez 18’, 25’; Maria Mauleon 30’

Costa Rica: Fabiana Solano; Andrea Capmany, Camila Capmany, Pamela Gutierrez, Jeimy Umaña, Carmen Marin, Priscila Chinchilla (Yariella Lopez 69’), Maria Paula Salas, Maria Paula Porras (Nicole Gomez 48’), Stefany Mendoza, Medolyn Guerrero (Steysi Arias 60’). Head Coach: Amelia Valverde

Mexico: Shyh Saenz; Karen Gomez, Julieta Peralta (Aislinn Garcia 52’), Ximena Rios (Alice Hernandez 60’), Dania Perez, Alison Gonzalez, Maria Mauleon (Ashly Martinez 66’), Esmeralda Zamarron (Giovanna Urbalejo 64’), Alejandra Diaz (Fatima Arellano 64’), Anette Vazquez, Noemi Granados. Head Coach: Monica Vergara

R: Carol Oliva (Guatemala); AR1: Oscar Hernandez (Puerto Rico); AR2: Katherine Prescod (Panama); 4th: Jose Torres (Puerto Rico)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2016, 11:22:36 AM »
U.S. tops Canada for CU15G title
CONCACAF

The United States scored a goal in each half to earn the 2016 CONCACAF U-15 Girls’ Championship title by defeating Canada, 2-0, in the final on Sunday at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.

Kalysaa Van Zanten gave the Americans a 1-0 lead in the 39th minute and Samantha Meza added an insurance goal with two minutes left in normal time, finding the back of the net off Eleanor Glenn’s left-sided corner kick.

The U.S. finished the competition with a perfect 7W-0D-0L record, scoring a remarkable 39 goals and, more impressively perhaps, conceding none. Canada, the defending champion, went 6-0-1, netting 32 goals and allowing only three.

“For us, it has been an incredible learning experience. Today was just the icing on the top, playing and performing well,” United States head coach Mark Carr told CONCACAF.com after the game. “I want to go on record and congratulate Canada. I thought they were a very good team. They made it hard for us and I know we’ll have a lot more battles down the line with them.

“Ultimately, I’m really happy for our players, their performances and just to have the feeling of winning the trophy.”

2016 CONCACAF U-15 Girls’ Championship – Final
August 21, 2016: ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex – Orlando, Florida, USA

USA-Canada 2-0 (0-0)
Kalyssa Van Zanten 39’; Samantha Meza 58’

USA: Ruth Jones; Makenna Morris, Leah Scarpelli, Natalia Staude, Samantha Meza (D’awncey Jones-Black 70’), Hollyn Torres (Eleanor Glenn 51’), Kalyssa Van Zanten (Madison Mercado 65’), Mia Fishel, Gabrielle Robinson (Payton Linnehan 42’), Croix Bethune, Talia Dellaperuta (Sunshine Fontes 32’). Head Coach: Mark Carr.

Canada: Sophie Guilmette; Maya Antoine, Isabella Hanisch (Alexia Cajilig 70’), Jordyn Huitema, Sydney Kennedy (Aaliyah Scott 36’), Maya Ladhani, Jayde Riviere (Teni Akindoju 60’), Olivia Scott, Caitlin Shaw (Mya Jones 46’), Julianne Vallerand, Sonia Walk. Head Coach: Carmelina Moscato (Canada)

R: Odette Hamilton (Jamaica); AR1: Lidia Ayala (El Salvador); AR2: Karen Diaz (Mexico); 4th: Kimberly Mora (Costa Rica)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2016, 11:30:36 AM »
TSG reveals CU15G Best XI, Awards
CONCACAF

Following the United States’ 2-0 win over Canada in the 2016 CONCACAF U-15 Girls’ Championship (CU15G) final on Sunday at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, the Technical Study Group announced the tournament’s Best XI and presented awards.

The CU15G selection contains players from each of the four semifinalists: six players from the champion United States, three from runner-up Canada, as well as one each from Costa Rica and Mexico.

Here’s a look at the team:

2016 CONCACAF Under-15 Women’s Championship Best XI

Goalkeeper: Ruth Jones (United States)

Right Back: Camila Capmany (Costa Rica)

Center Back: Leah Scarpelli (United States)

Center Back: Maya Antoine (Canada)

Left Back: Julianne Vallerand (Canada)

Right Midfielder/Winger: Samantha Meza (United States)

Center Midfielder: Croix Bethune (United States)

Center Midfielder: Mia Fishel (United States)

Center Midfielder: Dania Perez (Mexico)

Left Midfielder/Winger: Gabrielle Robinson (United States)

Forward: Jordyn Huitema (Canada)

AWARDS

Golden Ball
Mia Fishel, USA

Golden Boot
Payton Linnehan, USA (eight goals)

Golden Glove
Ruth Jones, United States

Fair Play Award
Mexico

1]; } ?>