April 19, 2024, 07:42:01 AM

Author Topic: Keane as inspirational off the pitch as on it  (Read 1431 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Keane as inspirational off the pitch as on it
« on: April 04, 2007, 11:18:28 PM »
Daily Star

05/04/07

Roy Keane was widely regarded as an inspirational figure on the field and now as manager of second division Sunderland he is having a similar effect off it.

During a glittering playing career, Keane had a key role in guiding Manchester United to seven Premier League titles and was instrumental in helping Ireland qualify for two World Cups.

That was during his days in the thick of it as a fiercely combative midfielder when few could have imagined the style with which he has successfully turned his hand to management.

Keane, 35, has engineered something akin to a minor miracle since being persuaded to come out of retirement by Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn last August.

When it was announced Keane was taking the reins, the newly-relegated club were bottom of the table after losing their first four games and being dumped out of the League Cup by fourth division Bury.

Since his arrival at the Stadium of Light, Sunderland have recorded 21 wins in 35 games, drawing eight and losing six. They are third in the division and pushing for an immediate return to the top tier of English football.

Keane, though, routinely plays down his success at the helm.

"I tell the players every day that we've achieved nothing," he said.

Before the announcement he had won a manager of the month award, Keane declared: "I'm not bothered about it one bit. I'll stick it in the garage if I win it.

"I don't get sucked into that nonsense. The time to reflect on any season is at the end. If you feel a team deserves something give them that award, not individuals and certainly not the manager."

DRASTIC CHANGE

Whatever he says, a drastic change in fortune has been accompanied by Keane's overhaul of Sunderland which has brought 13 players to Wearside and seen eight move on.

Keane's reputation has improved the club's pulling power and his transfer dealing has been strengthened by the financial muscle of the Irish-based Drumaville consortium, headed by former player Quinn, that bought the club last year.

Their support has allowed Keane to sign teenage Arsenal striker Anthony Stokes and Luton's Trinidad & Tobago winger Carlos Edwards.

Keane has also put his contacts to good use by persuading his old manager at Manchester United, Alex Ferguson, to loan him Northern Ireland centre half Jonny Evans.

There are, however, more obvious aspects to his skills as a manager.

Although his dressing-room conduct remains a closely guarded secret, Keane cuts an almost detached figure on the touchline, encouraging calm among his charges -- a far cry from his days of haranguing referees and chasing opponents around the pitch.

A stickler for punctuality, Keane left three players behind when they were late for the team bus to Barnsley, and has embraced sports psychology by hiring former Olympic high jumper Steve Smith to motivate the players.

WINNING MENTALITY

Undefeated in the league this year, his players have clearly responded to attempts to introduce a winning mentality.

Off the field, stickler Keane insists all players and staff stay at hotels on the eve of every game to ensure preparations are spot on. The players are frequently sent on activities such as paint-balling and army assault courses.

Keane's media conferences are seldom dull and occasionally unforgettable, such as the time he fumed that the Premier League was being ruined by an epidemic of cheating and diving.

Although he is still learning the managerial ropes, the Cork-born Keane's aptitude for his profession has already put him as a favourite to succeed Ferguson.

Should Keane return to Old Trafford as manager, supporters would find a very different character to the volatile skipper who was sent off 11 times in their red shirt.

"Trust me, the gaffer has calmed down a hell of a lot compared to what he was like," Sunderland's former United striker Dwight Yorke said. "He's been phenomenal."

At boardroom level, there is amazement at Keane's accomplishments so far.

"I'm staggered by just how good he is," said Quinn. "His methodical approach, demeanour on the sidelines and way he's conducted himself through what many would believe to be a learning curve has been fantastic. The guy just has it."

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 07:22:29 PM »

By Rob Stewart

SUNDERLAND, England, April 5 (Reuters) - Roy Keane was widely regarded as an inspirational figure on the field and now as manager of second division Sunderland he is having a similar effect off it.

During a glittering playing career, Keane had a key role in guiding Manchester United to seven Premier League titles and was instrumental in helping Ireland qualify for two World Cups.

That was during his days in the thick of it as a fiercely combative midfielder when few could have imagined the style with which he has successfully turned his hand to management.

Keane, 35, has engineered something akin to a minor miracle since being persuaded to come out of retirement by Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn last August.

When it was announced Keane was taking the reins, the newly-relegated club were bottom of the table after losing their first four games and being dumped out of the League Cup by fourth division Bury.

Since his arrival at the Stadium of Light, Sunderland have recorded 21 wins in 35 games, drawing eight and losing six. They are third in the division and pushing for an immediate return to the top tier of English football.

Keane, though, routinely plays down his success at the helm.

"I tell the players every day that we've achieved nothing," he said.

Before the announcement he had won a manager of the month award, Keane declared: "I'm not bothered about it one bit. I'll stick it in the garage if I win it.

"I don't get sucked into that nonsense. The time to reflect on any season is at the end. If you feel a team deserves something give them that award, not individuals and certainly not the manager."

DRASTIC CHANGE

Whatever he says, a drastic change in fortune has been accompanied by Keane's overhaul of Sunderland which has brought 13 players to Wearside and seen eight move on.

Keane's reputation has improved the club's pulling power and his transfer dealing has been strengthened by the financial muscle of the Irish-based Drumaville consortium, headed by former player Quinn, that bought the club last year.

Their support has allowed Keane to sign teenage Arsenal striker Anthony Stokes and Luton's Trinidad & Tobago winger Carlos Edwards.

Keane has also put his contacts to good use by persuading his old manager at Manchester United, Alex Ferguson, to loan him Northern Ireland centre half Jonny Evans.

There are, however, more obvious aspects to his skills as a manager.

Although his dressing-room conduct remains a closely guarded secret, Keane cuts an almost detached figure on the touchline, encouraging calm among his charges -- a far cry from his days of haranguing referees and chasing opponents around the pitch.

A stickler for punctuality, Keane left three players behind when they were late for the team bus to Barnsley, and has embraced sports psychology by hiring former Olympic high jumper Steve Smith to motivate the players.

WINNING MENTALITY

Undefeated in the league this year, his players have clearly responded to attempts to introduce a winning mentality.

Off the field, stickler Keane insists all players and staff stay at hotels on the eve of every game to ensure preparations are spot on. The players are frequently sent on activities such as paint-balling and army assault courses.

Keane's media conferences are seldom dull and occasionally unforgettable, such as the time he fumed that the Premier League was being ruined by an epidemic of cheating and diving.

Although he is still learning the managerial ropes, the Cork-born Keane's aptitude for his profession has already put him as a favourite to succeed Ferguson.

Should Keane return to Old Trafford as manager, supporters would find a very different character to the volatile skipper who was sent off 11 times in their red shirt.

"Trust me, the gaffer has calmed down a hell of a lot compared to what he was like," Sunderland's former United striker Dwight Yorke said. "He's been phenomenal."

At boardroom level, there is amazement at Keane's accomplishments so far.

"I'm staggered by just how good he is," said Quinn. "His methodical approach, demeanour on the sidelines and way he's conducted himself through what many would believe to be a learning curve has been fantastic. The guy just has it."

Warrior For Life !!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Keane as inspirational off the pitch as on it
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 05:52:20 AM »
Roy Keane recently made notable remarks regarding the level of play required of NT footballers. He spoke after the friendly between Ireland and Belarus, and did not hesitate to drive his point home.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/euro2016/euro2016-analysis/five-of-roy-keanes-best-quotes-from-yesterdays-hard-hitting-press-conference-402810.html

One day Keane is a good bet to manage Ireland. Those future players will have to be braced for that.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/euro-2016/roy-keane-is-not-a-fan-of-coaches-with-a-nice-tan-and-really-white-teeth-34773737.html
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 05:56:44 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Keane as inspirational off the pitch as on it
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 04:34:02 PM »
<a href="https://m.youtube.com/v/dh-lXYOQ_Yc&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://m.youtube.com/v/dh-lXYOQ_Yc&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

1]; } ?>