April 23, 2024, 11:41:10 PM

Author Topic: Brazil Football Thread  (Read 4243 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Brazil Football Thread
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:47:31 PM »
Dunga gets Brazil roaring again(FIFA.com) Wednesday 18 July 2007
 Print Email to a friend
Thank you. Your FIFA.com story has been successfully e-mailed to your friend(s).
For 55 months following their 2002 FIFA World Cup™ triumph, Brazil sat proudly atop of the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking, a seemingly immovable force. Not even a quarter-final exit at the 2006 FIFA World Cup could unseat the Seleção, whose swift return to form under new coach Dunga preserved their exceptional reign.

That was until February 2007, when a 2-0 defeat to Portugal left them in the unfamiliar position of looking upwards: at world champions Italy. Worse was to come. In March, Brazil slipped to third behind the Azzurri and new leaders Argentina, before the top two exchanged slots the ensuing month.

The Seleção did briefly reassume second spot, but by June they were back in third having been outstripped by France. Worryingly, with points accumulated in somewhat of purple patch exiting the pockets of the pentacampeões, teams appeared to be queuing up to plunge them further down the ladder. Germany were within breathing space of their Korea/Japan 2002 conquerors, with Argentina not far behind and even Portugal, under the command of Luiz Felipe Scolari, the man with whom Brazil embarked upon that period of ascendancy in July 2002, jostling for places in the upper echelons of the Ranking.

Victory in Venezuela
The Copa America Venezuela 2007 nonetheless provided Dunga with a chance to claim Brazil a place at the FIFA Confederations Cup South Africa 2009, and to crown his maiden year in coaching with a title. It was an opportunity that the former FIFA World Cup-winning captain grasped firmly. After an emphatic 6-1 reverse of Chile in the last eight, the Seleção sneaked into the final by overcoming Uruguay on a penalty shootout, but then left nothing to chance in the decider, beating heavily-fancied arch-rivals Argentina 3-0.

As euphoria swept across the nation, their coach was given an additional cause to celebrate his maiden year in office this coming Tuesday. Indeed, after a five-month hiatus from the coveted summit, Brazil were restored to the top of the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking, marginally above the Albiceleste, when the latest table was released on Wednesday.

It was not the first time that Dunga's impelling leadership had been the catalyst behind his country regaining pole position. In his previous national team function, the midfield enforcer skippered Brazil to glory at USA 1994, scoring what ultimately proved to be the title-clinching penalty in their shootout victory over Italy. This success immediately promoted the South Americans to the head of the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking, which was a position they retained for an unprecedented six years and ten months.

During this period, until his international retirement in 1998, Dunga was a cornerstone of the side. His influence was never more apparent than at France 1998, when his intuitive orchestration of play and vociferous presence propelled the Seleção to the final. Although they lost out to the hosts, Brazil's podium finish undoubtedly contributed towards them remaining in first place on the Ranking for just short of another three years.

Settling into the dugout
Given his characteristics as a player, Dunga was tipped to make the transition into coaching with ease. In fact, when Vanderlei Luxemburgo vacated the Brazil hot-seat in 2000, the FIFA U-20 World Cup Mexico 1983 winner was among the CBF's favourites to replace him. In spite of his repuation, however, he chose not pursue a managerial role initially, but when the chance to succeed his one-time boss Carlos Alberto Parreira was presented to him following Brazil's elimination from Germany 2006, it was an offer he found too tempting to refuse.

Although a surprise choice to many, Dunga has certainly vindicated his appointment thus far. With spirits low following their ill-fated FIFA World Cup camapign, he swiftly invigorated the side and masterminded an emphatic 3-0 defeat of Argentina in London in his second match in charge, before overseeing ensuing away wins over Wales, Ecuador and Switzerland.

Moreover, his unmistakable barking of intructions from the sidelines has appealed to the passionate Brazilian fans, while his refusal to pick players based on their repuations alone has been refreshing. Long-standing automatics Emerson, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Adriano have all been dropped over the last 12 months. Upon his return to the side, Kaka delivered some outstanding performances and Ronaldinho has also flickered the genius that was inconspicuous on German soil, although the pair missed the recent Copa America after their requests for a recess were granted.

Along with the likes of Ronaldo, the pair must now strive to fight their way back into a squad which clinched Brazil an eighth continental crown in Venezuela. It is a squad brimming with players at top of their game, something which must, in part, be attributed to Dunga's ability to evoke the best from his charges. Three cases in point are Juan, Elano and Robinho, who have excelled under the 43-year-old's tenure.

Dunga has had his sceptics of late, a circumstance of Brazilians' insatiable desire to witness breathtaking football every time their team take to the field. Nevertheless, their defence of the Copa America title underlined the impressive progress the Seleção have made under his command. Consequently, when he completes his first year in the international game's most demanding job next week, he can pass a rewarding glance at the first name on the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking: Brazil.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:52:51 AM by Flex »
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: dunga gets brazil roaring again.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 09:41:57 PM »
If Brazil had lost the final they would have been calling for his head.  They played uninspired football throughout the tournament and only woke up in the final.

If Brazil continue to play like that it's only a matter of time for Dunga but then again isn't that the case for any Brazil coach?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 12:02:31 PM »
Every Brazil coach know his days as coach maybe very short lived
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Brazilian Football Thread.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 07:24:27 AM »
So I in Brazil at de moment and went to check out a Serie B (second division) game yesterday, Nautico vs Parana. Good atmosphere, even though the stadium was half empty due to some recent poor performances and  boardroom drama that Nautico have been having. Similar vibes to a one-day at the Oval, wid all de vendors and some rel bess girls in de mix. I have never heard so much cussing in my life and my portuguese is pretty basic lol. If this game was anything to go by, travelling away fans are not a big part of brazilian football culture - there were 7 at kickoff, accompanied by 7 riot police.

The standard of football is pretty strange...overall I would rate it as being equivalent to English League 1 or Scottish Premier League (not rangers or celtic), but then all of a sudden a man will pull off an outrageous piece of skill that any EPL or La Liga baller would be proud of. Case in point, the opening goal...barely a decent shot on target by either side up to this point (including a missed penalty), then all of a sudden a fella hit dem dis golaço...a wicked bicycle out of nothing.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZDWeAv-axxg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZDWeAv-axxg</a>

A great experience, but I will stick to EPL  ;D

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:04:19 AM by Flex »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Brazil Football Thread.
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 07:34:06 AM »
Can anyone guess why BraZil try to change the name of their country team to BraSil ?

I hear after the 1998 WC when Zidane tame them they tried to drop the Z in Brazil to S instead - Brasil.  :rotfl:
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: Brazil Football Thread.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 09:57:47 AM »
Can anyone guess why BraZil try to change the name of their country team to BraSil ?

I hear after the 1998 WC when Zidane tame them they tried to drop the Z in Brazil to S instead - Brasil.  :rotfl:

Sam they have always spelled it Brasil. Brazil is the English version. Back in the 80's I was wearing a Brazil shirt & several Brazilians at the game said it was the wrong spelling.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brazil Football Thread.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 10:12:40 AM »

Sam they have always spelled it Brasil. Brazil is the English version. Back in the 80's I was wearing a Brazil shirt & several Brazilians at the game said it was the wrong spelling.

Doh take that chain up - that sound like it was just a Zidane joke. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brazilian Football
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 01:29:08 PM »
Flamengo - 5 Santos -4 last night....Ronaldinho versus Neymar....epic match

Anyone who thinks that Neymar is not a baller.....think again...his first goal was ridiculous. But Ronaldinho was de game winner dis time around  :beermug:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/u0tMxpIDliU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/u0tMxpIDliU</a>
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 01:31:08 PM by Ryan »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 01:49:37 PM »
I saw this game last night and I keep quiet. The defending was terrible eh but my word that yute real bad. He like a jep, damn miserable and irritating for defenders. I see him perform some kinda beat hmm. When he add some muscle he will be a force.

At the end of the day though as one headline read :Neymar 4 Ronaldinho 5

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 01:54:46 PM »
A A...but wha bout Ronaldhino???

He still scoring dem kinda cheeky goal??
Yuh could imagine being in da wall and jumping up only to see de ball rolling past under yuh AND ending up in de back ah de net????
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 01:57:07 PM »
horrible defending my word.   but that league has money in it see a lot of players (some who could still play for a decent team in europe) going there.  but neymar is a beast boy, lordddd.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 02:08:17 PM »
Yow, good post. Exhibit A in why Brazilian footie is not European footie ... not all reasons necessarily favourable. Good to see Ronaldinho enjoying his game ... I have some doubts about Neymar's application of concentration for a full 90 ... we'll see.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 02:15:25 PM »
I saw this game last night and I keep quiet. The defending was terrible eh but my word that yute real bad. He like a jep, damn miserable and irritating for defenders. I see him perform some kinda beat hmm. When he add some muscle he will be a force.

That is the key.....if we were to come Premiership with his current build he would not be able to cope with the physicality and the referees' tendency to 'let the game flow'

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 02:21:09 PM »
Flamengo - 5 Santos -4 last night....Ronaldinho versus Neymar....epic match

Anyone who thinks that Neymar is not a baller.....think again...his first goal was ridiculous. But Ronaldinho was de game winner dis time around  :beermug:

Despite a poor showing in the Copa, I still believe in this youth...said it before - the kid is special..

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brazilian Football Thread.
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 04:55:31 PM »
Watching Vasco v. Palmeiras on GOL right now... these Brazilians is real kicks sometimes yes.  On the one hand the individual brilliance of the players is really nice to behold, in a small goal kinda way.  Touches and tricks fuh days.  On the other hand their tactical awareness and use of space real poor at times... in fact real poor too often.  This game is a microcosm of every Brazilian league game I've ever seen, except there are no goals... largely because of shocking finishing more than anything else.

Other observations... the entire set up jokey.  They playing at Sao Januario in Rio... and there is not dugout on the sideline... instead the coaches and dem in some covered bleachers behind one ah de goals  :rotfl:

And doh talk about the uniforms... more sponsors than ah NASCAR race car.  Big Phil coaching Palmeiras and he sporting ah green polo with matching pants and baseball cap.

This picture above doh do it justice... but all he missing is ah cricket bat and some pads, lol

EDIT:  Ah fuhget... tuh add tuh de kicksiness... Dinei (Palmeiras) bounce heads and suffer ah li'l buss head.. instead ah de hospital wrap they chook some gauze on the wound and put ah swim cap on pardner head yes  :rotfl: :rotfl:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 05:55:02 PM by Bakes »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 05:35:05 PM »
I need to religiously start following this Brazilian $hit yes!!

Ah missing out on some good laughs!!  :D
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »

This game had everything... including some handbags and shoving... 8 yellow cards, Dinei running around looking like Michael Phelps... and the capper, one wicked free-kick from about 35 meters to win it in typical Brazilian fashion... thing curl over and around the wall before dipping under the crossbar and into the left side netting.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 06:58:18 PM »

This game had everything... including some handbags and shoving... 8 yellow cards, Dinei running around looking like Michael Phelps... and the capper, one wicked free-kick from about 35 meters to win it in typical Brazilian fashion... thing curl over and around the wall before dipping under the crossbar and into the left side netting.
;D
That is the sort of entertainment could bring fans back out in T&T!

If only them mules in charge had a marketing plan & knew what they were doing!!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 04:11:45 PM »
As much as I like to watch the Brazilian games, especilly Flamengo, I can't get use to their stadiums. The crowd are so far from the action. The mexican stadiums to me a far better designed than the brazilians. And then again I spoil by watching all them epl games.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 08:05:02 PM »
entertaining league.

some man is just watch dem game to see the referees though.

http://wp.me/pL6jh-6nN

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Brasilian Football
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 10:38:34 AM »
A very interesting read on Brasilian Football

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/aug/14/olympics-exposed-flaw-brazilian-football

Should make for good discussion
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brasilian Football
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 02:21:35 PM »
Excellent article. Too many cooks in the kitchen have ruined the broth. The same arguments can be applied to the game in general as it has become far too tactic-centric. I say put the coaches in the stand during the game and replace the Fair Play award with one that rewards artistry and guile.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brasilian Football
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 06:39:49 PM »
Excellent article. Too many cooks in the kitchen have ruined the broth. The same arguments can be applied to the game in general as it has become far too tactic-centric. I say put the coaches in the stand during the game and replace the Fair Play award with one that rewards artistry and guile.

Very interesting thought,  I like it   ;D Coaches in the stand will make little difference as most of their influence is during the week, months etc. The most telling part of the entire article for me, is the fact about who is nurturing the talent.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 06:42:02 PM by Observer »
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
r49
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 06:10:52 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/82hLG1fGJ_c&amp;list=FLRXfDG-7MUTF-b3BjNjW5jw&amp;index=1&amp;feature=plpp_video" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/82hLG1fGJ_c&amp;list=FLRXfDG-7MUTF-b3BjNjW5jw&amp;index=1&amp;feature=plpp_video</a>

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 10:40:35 AM »
Dunga in his second stint just pick a nonsense team for the Copa America.

Brazil's Copa America Centenario squad in full

Goalkeepers: Alisson (Internacional), Diego Alves (Valencia), Ederson (Benfica)

Defenders: Miranda (Inter), Gil (Shandong Luneng), Marquinhos (Paris Saint-Germain), Rodrigo Caio (Sao Paulo), Dani Alves (Barcelona), Filipe Luis (Atletico Madrid), Fabinho (Monaco), Douglas Santos (Atletico Mineiro)

Midfielder: Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Elias (Corinthians), Renato Augusto (Beijing Guoan), Coutinho (Liverpool), Lucas Lima (Santos), Willian (Chelsea), Casemiro (Real Madrid), Rafinha (Barcelona)

Forwards: Douglas Costa (Bayern Munich), Hulk (Zenit), Gabigol (Santos), Ricardo Oliveira (Santos
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:53:19 AM by Peong »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brazil Football Thread
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2016, 11:14:16 AM »
No Neymar?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2016, 11:25:48 AM »
Neymar had a kind of rough season. He may be nursing some injury. You must remember the hit in his back last WC. Maybe he might be feeling some pain there, who knows! I don't see why Brazil can't win without him. More than half the team plays overseas. Now is the time for Willian and company to show up.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2016, 11:29:01 AM »
Neymar was already not going to play in the Copa. Barca asked Dunga not to pick him for both tournaments so Neymar will be in the Olympics.
Other notable absentees are Oscar who had a shitty season with Chelsea, Firmino who had a decent season, Lucas Moura, Fernandinho , and Marcelo. David Luiz and Thiago Silva weren't even in the preliminary squad.
Moura musbe do him something.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2016, 11:55:33 AM »
Neymar was already not going to play in the Copa. Barca asked Dunga not to pick him for both tournaments so Neymar will be in the Olympics.
Other notable absentees are Oscar who had a shitty season with Chelsea, Firmino who had a decent season, Lucas Moura, Fernandinho , and Marcelo. David Luiz and Thiago Silva weren't even in the preliminary squad.
Moura musbe do him something.
Didn't know he was participating in the Olympics, so his omission makes sense. Dunga's critics say he doesn't play the typical "Brazilian" style so maybe those players fit his desire way. I'm surprised he left out Fernandinho though because he's a work horse in the midfield.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2016, 12:27:42 PM »
Ricardo Oliveira is now 36. I thought it was a new guy but it's the same guy who played for AC Milan and Real Betis a long time ago.

1]; } ?>