April 28, 2024, 09:27:04 PM

Author Topic: Peru down Warriors in Lima Friendly  (Read 4548 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Peru down Warriors in Lima Friendly
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2016, 07:53:35 PM »
What Palos is referring to reminds me of my thoughts during last year's Pan Am tournament.

We had Uruguay in our group. Also Paraguay and Mexico. I listened to match coverage of T&T v. Uruguay on a Uruguayan radio station. As respectful as they tried to be in commentary, we did ourselves NO favours on the field. None! It impacted perceptions about our "brand" and about our product. That can be a hurdle to overcome.

And jes so we are exquisitely clear ... that roster featured Shannon Gomez, Aikim Andrews, Kadeem Corbin, Jomal Williams, Neveal Hackshaw, Tristan Hodge and Alvin Jones. And Nathaniel Garcia. Everyone read the list again.

Oh, and since there has been much concern expressed about our GK future: the goalie was Montell Joseph (brought in from England and not heard from since).

We hadda take serious stock, then be held accountable.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2016, 08:49:27 PM »
What Palos is referring to reminds me of my thoughts during last year's Pan Am tournament.

We had Uruguay in our group. Also Paraguay and Mexico. I listened to match coverage of T&T v. Uruguay on a Uruguayan radio station. As respectful as they tried to be in commentary, we did ourselves NO favours on the field. None! It impacted perceptions about our "brand" and about our product. That can be a hurdle to overcome.

And jes so we are exquisitely clear ... that roster featured Shannon Gomez, Aikim Andrews, Kadeem Corbin, Jomal Williams, Neveal Hackshaw, Tristan Hodge and Alvin Jones. And Nathaniel Garcia. Everyone read the list again.

Oh, and since there has been much concern expressed about our GK future: the goalie was Montell Joseph (brought in from England and not heard from since).

We hadda take serious stock, then be held accountable.
so isn't amazing that we get a game against Uruguay still ?  and won't the exercise benefit the coach as well...Imagine, how it would have been perceived by both uruguay and the ppl with TT football interest, had we say no , allyuh to strong for we. I am fairly certain they would be made aware that we don't have our A team and still gave us the shot..nb: this is also a learning experience for the coach as well.. I have faith in the long term, an though the short term is not ideal, it must serve better training than watching film or playing a North, south or Tobago 11. I'm sure the coach would make all 1st team players aware of the good and mistakes, as well as those that are playing the roles of understudies.
Add: especially if our TT dollar not a factor
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 08:56:40 PM by maxg »

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2016, 06:19:53 AM »
It's a mixed bag allyuh, i personally don't think it's too much of a reputational damage if we continue to do well in qualifying. I think we sometimes confuse the official FIFA international fixture window where we are entitled to call any player playing in any club for up to 10 days at a time with the current 15 day window that teams are allowed prior to a major FIFA international tournament. Most teams both sides of the atlantic are preparing for Euros and Copa so the top teams in the world are engaged in friendlies with full availability of players except for those involved in champions league this weekend.

We are not in that group of teams in preparation so while its nice to have friendlies, we will not have our full strength team. I think its a toss up for the administration to either have these games or not. Add to the fact that a big chunk of our core squad is actively still involved in club football while most major european league seasons are finished. So should we play these games at the risk of a hiding? I dont know how these friendlies are brokered but what if Peru and Uraguay came to us for the game? Should we decline? Did our administrators misinterpret the fifa windows expecting our full strength would have been available and as a result put these games together? What about if we decided to not have any friendlies at all? I know for a fact there would have been a hue and cry on this forum about our inactivity.

Sometimes we just have to play the hand that we have been dealt and take the positives away. Yes the good result in the friendly against Mexico last year opened more eyes for T&T as a worthy opponent but i dare say that our current top spot in WC qualifying weighs higher. No matter what the results over the next 2 games if in September we do the business and we make that final round then friendlies will not be a problem.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2016, 08:47:47 AM »
It's a mixed bag allyuh, i personally don't think it's too much of a reputational damage if we continue to do well in qualifying. I think we sometimes confuse the official FIFA international fixture window where we are entitled to call any player playing in any club for up to 10 days at a time with the current 15 day window that teams are allowed prior to a major FIFA international tournament. Most teams both sides of the atlantic are preparing for Euros and Copa so the top teams in the world are engaged in friendlies with full availability of players except for those involved in champions league this weekend.

We are not in that group of teams in preparation so while its nice to have friendlies, we will not have our full strength team. I think its a toss up for the administration to either have these games or not. Add to the fact that a big chunk of our core squad is actively still involved in club football while most major european league seasons are finished. So should we play these games at the risk of a hiding? I dont know how these friendlies are brokered but what if Peru and Uraguay came to us for the game? Should we decline? Did our administrators misinterpret the fifa windows expecting our full strength would have been available and as a result put these games together? What about if we decided to not have any friendlies at all? I know for a fact there would have been a hue and cry on this forum about our inactivity.

Sometimes we just have to play the hand that we have been dealt and take the positives away. Yes the good result in the friendly against Mexico last year opened more eyes for T&T as a worthy opponent but i dare say that our current top spot in WC qualifying weighs higher. No matter what the results over the next 2 games if in September we do the business and we make that final round then friendlies will not be a problem.
:beermug:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2016, 09:08:26 AM »
g, there was no misinterpretation of the FIFA window. Why? Because the applicable friendly window specifically applies to "non-UEFA" confederations.

1]; } ?>