March 28, 2024, 05:05:17 PM

Author Topic: Noah Powder Thread  (Read 28075 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Noah Powder Thread
« on: May 30, 2016, 06:24:11 PM »
The Noah Powder question
By Jake Evans (onceametro.com)

The New York Red Bulls seem to have a knack for discovering their own academy talent via their reserve team almost by happenstance. First, Derrick Etienne burst onto the scene last year, scoring three goals and assisting on three more on his way to being the most exciting player on New York Red Bulls II before having to leave for college. After just one season at UVA, the Red Bulls decided to bring Etienne on board full time, signing him to a professional deal. A year prior, very few had any idea who Etienne was and no one was talking about him being one of the team's next homegrown signings.

Now, RBNY appears to have unearthed another hitherto unheralded academy talent: Noah Powder.

For years, New York Red Bulls fans with an ear close to the ground heard rumblings about this great defender coming through the youth ranks. He was getting looks from Europe, from the national team, and even from the first team for a Homegrown contract. That defender's name is Mason Deeds.

Yet Deeds isn't the one we're talking about here, Powder is. Mason Deeds is a good defender who has shown well in his appearances for NYRB II, despite his haircut, and looks to have a solid college career at Georgetown before him. If he performs well and continues to develop he may well earn a homegrown contract in the future. However, as stated before, Deeds isn't who we're talking about.

Much like Etienne before him, Noah Powder was an above-average academy player who was given a shot in pre-season with the first team and then with New York Red Bulls II on an academy contract. Here, he grabbed the opportunity with both hands. Powder's performances at left back have earned him plaudits from day one this year, consistently showing as one of the better players on the field. More recently, he's been handed starts in USL in midfield, where he has perhaps been less effective - but he's 17 years-old. Seventeen! Tyler Adams, Mr. "Oh my God, this kid is really damn young", is less than four months younger than Powder. If you cut Frank Lampard in half, you have two injured soccer players still older than Noah Powder.

Powder is a winger by nature but appears to have converted well to being a left back at the professional level. He is only a teenager but seems comfortable playing with men. He has a wicked left foot, pace to burn, above average technical skills, and is fearless in defending. He has maintained his attacking tendencies from his time as a winger but is always willing to defend. Maybe he is a little rash in the tackle, but that's being pedantic. Most importantly though, he has a lot of time to grow into his technical and physical abilities. Brandon Allen is one of the more prominent players to emerge from RBNY's development system recently - just making his first team debut against Toronto FC on May 28 - and the forward is 22.

At the time of writing, Powder is fifth on NYRB II in terms of minutes played and hasn't looked out of place for any of them despite his age. Imagine the player he could be at the 22 if he can hold his own in the USL at 17.

So the question is, when is the team planning on signing Noah Powder? In fact, why haven't they signed him already? Powder isn't committed to playing soccer in college, so that's not holding him back. He's set to graduate from high school in the next month and he is clearly capable of playing professional soccer already. So what gives?

Yes, he may not be as flashy a player as Etienne was last year, but that's almost more impressive. It is a whole lot harder for a defender to break through at young age than an attacking player. They have much less room for error and most of the good often goes unnoticed.

It's not like Powder hasn't impressed the coaching staff; Jess Marsch is clearly a fan. Back in November Marsch cited Powder out of the blue as one of the club's top prospects. It's not like Powder hasn't shown well on the international stage. He has captained Trinidad and Tobago's U17 squad, was recently picked for their U20 team, and has scored a great goal or two for his country. So... what gives?

He doesn't need to sign a first team contract. He doesn't need to be rushed. Sign Powder to NYRB II and let him develop for a few years then bring him up to MLS when he's ready. That is one of the major benefits of running a USL team after all, keeping the talent you develop in-house.

Maybe Powder wants to graduate from high school before turning professional. Maybe the Red Bulls want him to be fully committed to soccer before they sign him. Maybe. Yet, with all the fantastic academy players New York has had walk away for nothing, the New York Red Bulls would be foolish to let a player of Powder's caliber slip through their fingers, especially when he is so close at hand.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 07:06:44 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Noah Powder question
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 07:15:22 PM »
Hope he does not sign with NYRB.  They saying he is in camp with first team and starting on 2nd (USL) team at 17. If at 17 he is one of the better(best) players, then he is in the wrong place.  This boys needs to be in Europe where he can be pushed to the limits of his potential. His technical and tactical development will not be maximized in MLS. Hope he has good advisers.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 07:39:42 PM »
He develop to this point fine at NYRB Academy. All of a sudden he in the wrong place.  ???
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 04:35:13 AM »
He develop to this point fine at NYRB Academy. All of a sudden he in the wrong place.  ???

Wouldn't you agree if you are the brightest bulb in the room, then you are in the wrong room?

NYRB Academy has a good history of getting players to this level. What is their history on getting players beyond this point to the top leagues?

Once you find the answer to that question, you will understand why he is in the wrong place.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 05:12:16 AM »
Matt Miazga sold for 5 million pounds to Chelsea in January

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 08:32:25 AM »

lol

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 10:36:52 AM »

lol

Matt Miazga?? You are joking, right?  Do some basic research on why Miazga deal only happened because Chelsea really wanted Pato. They have the same agent. Wasn't this a package? He will be out on loan for quite sometime before returning to MLS for the exact reason Powder should not stay. Other than playing in a 4-0 thrashing of now relegated Aston Villa, when will he see 1st team.

I admit your response is funny but ends at humour. You send Miazga, I would say Jose Altidore and Juan Aquedelo to the contrary.

One last, example a former team mate of Powder at Red Bull and U s U17 named Matthew Olosunde just joined ManU Academy instead of taking a 1st contract at NYRB. Why? Please do not say well its ManU, give me more than that.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 07:19:28 PM by FF »

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 12:30:47 PM »
FF

Also, note that:

Miazga was 5 million dollars or 3.5 million pounds NOT the 5 million pounds you stated.

Second, to understand the Miazga deal the same agent also represented Ramires who exited to China.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 07:18:23 PM »
Tobago either way. You ask I answer. And a recent occasion to boot.

I'm quite happy for Matt, and there are a wealth of reasons to go abroad for a young player. Matt has his.
If Noah was to get an offer to go abroad and takes it, I would be one of the first celebrating. Player development is not about holding players back but preparing them to go forth.

My point is that he has had a strong past six months and coming along fine where he is. Let's see how he goes for another 6 months and evaluate again. Bringing up agudelo and altidore may even add to my argument if you think deeper.

:beermug:

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 08:30:41 PM »
FF

I appreciate the answer. I should have been more specific with my question which is fostering short term versus long term careers in European leagues. Longevity abroad like Claudia Reyna who went early from college and in my opinion is the best American player thus far due to his time early at Bayer Leverkusen, Wolfsburg, and Rangers which led him to Sunderland and finally Man City. The players you mentioned went late and could not maintain the level because they were not well prepared in MLS/USA.

The reality is that American coaching is very poor tactically and technically, therefore the longer you stay in the environment the player regresses relative to Europe and South America.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 07:17:08 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tfgfKchWQ1c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tfgfKchWQ1c</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 09:25:14 AM »
Powder in yuh face!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Ah feel some mileage outta Machel coming on.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 10:24:42 AM »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 11:25:18 AM »

Mods! Time to rename this thread!  ;D
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Red Bulls’ Powder ready to lock horns for T&T
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 03:01:12 PM »
Red Bulls’ Powder ready to lock horns for T&T
T&T Media

Trinidad and Tobago’s US-based defender Noah Powder holds a strong yearning to play at the highest level for Trinidad and Tobago.

He’s already captained the National Under 17 Team at the CONCACAF Final round of World Cup qualification and now he intends to lead by example again as he suits up for the T&T Under 20 Team in their upcoming Caribbean Football Union Under 20 First round of qualification which kicks off next Wednesday at the Ato Boldon Stadium with a double header. T&T faces Guadeloupe from 7:30pm and Turks and Caicos meets St Lucia in the earlier match from 5pm.

Powder had his first session with the Brian Williams-coached team at the Ato Boldon Stadium on Wednesday evening and he fitted right into the program, of course knowing some of the players from his previous stint with the National Under 17 team under Shawn Cooper.

“It’s been a good experience representing Trinidad and Tobago so far. It’s been fun. I captained the Under 17s and I was the leading goalscorer so I felt that I did well as a leader although we didn’t come out of the tournament by qualifying for the World Cup,” Powder told TTFA Media.

“I enjoy the culture here a lot. When I was younger I used to come to Tobago and sweat with grown men and I loved the style of the football. I got my first call when I was fifteen to come and try out with the U-17s.

“I like the preparations so far under coach Brian Williams. I’ve only been here a day now but I like that he’s working closely with the defenders.

“I don’t know much about the other teams but I do know that we need to come away with nine points and top our group so that we can have a good rhythm going into the next stage. I think the key to our success will be our running, our passing and our movement of the ball as well as our goalscoring,” Powder added.

Eligible to play for T&T through his father who was born in Tobago, Powder is ambitious and has already set his sights on catching the eye of Senior Team head coach Stephen Hart.

“Within a year I would love to break into the full men’s squad under coach Hart. That’s my goal. I have been getting a lot of criticism from some people (over there) as to why I don’t play for the US because I have obviously been showing what I can do. I told them that the US called me maybe a year ago and I said I wanted to play for Trinidad. I turned down the US because I figured I could play more for Trinidad and Tobago and be able to express myself more. I have no regrets about my decision and I’m very thankful to play for Trinidad and Tobago,” Powder added.

The 17-year-old who lives in New Jersey, began his career with the New York Red Bulls Academy and trained with the Red Bulls first team in 201.5. He made his debut for the Reds Bull II against Toronto FC II in the United Soccer League on March 26th, playing the full match which ended 2-2.

The T&T team will play Defence Force’s Super League outfit at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium on Friday evening before entering a live-in camp at Metro Hotel in Couva for the duration of the tournament.

Tickets for each matchday will be sold at the Ato Boldon Stadium and are priced at $20 (covered) and $10 for uncovered.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 07:25:43 AM »
Congratulations to Noah Powder and Red Bulls II for clinching the USL regular season championship.

USL MATCH RECAP: New York Red Bulls II clinch 2016 USL Regular Season Championship
NYRB Media Release

Media Contact:
Chris Orihuela

MILLERSVILLE, PA (September 7, 2016) - New York Red Bulls II defeated Harrisburg City Islanders on the road, 4-1, to clinch the United Soccer League Regular Season Championship. Vincent Bezecourt and Red Bulls Academy player Noah Powder both scored twice in the victory.
As USL Regular Season Champions, New York has clinched home-field advantage throughout the 2016 USL Playoffs.
The win improves New York to 19-3-5 on the season, their seventh consecutive victory. The second-year club is the first MLS-operated team to capture the USL Regular Season Title and has done so in record fashion with three games remaining.
Red Bulls II's 12-1-1 road record is three more than the league's previous record, while the club's 19 total wins and 62 points ties the league record set by Orlando City SC in 2014.
New York is also approaching the league's single-season scoring record with 54 goals, which trails Orlando's 2014 record of 56 goals. Through 27 games, the club's 15 clean sheets is just two shy of tying Rochester Rhinos' 2015 league record of 17 shutouts.
New York took the lead in the 23rd minute of the match when Stefano Bonomo played in Bezecourt on the right side of the box, who calmly slotted away his chance at the back post.
Despite allowing a goal in the first minute of the second half, Red Bulls II rebounded quickly. Second-half substitute Powder restored New York's lead in the 62nd minute with his first professional goal, assisted by Bezecourt.
Bezecourt doubled the lead in the 73rd minute, taking a pass from Florian Valot and curling a shot with his right foot for his fourth goal of the season. The Frenchman has scored all four of his goals this season against Harrisburg.
Finally, Powder solidified the lead with a left-footed rocket from outside the box that found the top-left corner of the goal to give New York the 4-1 victory.
Red Bulls II hits the road this weekend to take on last year's USL Regular Season Champions, Rochester Rhinos, on Saturday, Sept. 10 at 5:05 p.m. NYRB II next returns home on Saturday, Sept. 17 against FC Montreal for their final home game of the regular season before the USL Playoffs. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

Scoring Summary (Assist in parenthesis):
NY: Vincent Bezecourt (Stefano Bonomo) 23'
HAR: Cardel Benbow (Craig Foster) 46'
NY: Noah Powder (Vincent Bezecourt) 62'
NY: Vincent Bezecourt (Florian Valot) 73'
NY: Noah Powder 78'
Discipline Summary:
NY: Vincent Bezecourt, Caution 34'
NY: Speedy Williams, Caution 45'

Lineup:
NY: Kyle Reynish, Justin Bilyeu, Tim Schmoll, Zach Carroll, Konrad Plewa (Noah Powder, 58'), Speedy Williams (David Najem, 46'), Tyler Adams (Dan Metzger, 34'), Vincent Bezecourt, Derrick Etienne Jr. (Florian Valot, 64'), Stefano Bonomo, Zoumana Simpara (Aaron Long, 72')

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 06:34:49 PM »
Congrats to Noah Powder on his first and second professional goals. Just watched the goals on YouTube; the first good technique with right foot, the second masterful strike from outside 18 with dominant left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBISyO9mRYY

VIDEO TIME
First Goal     1:37:40
Second Goal 1:55:03

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2016, 08:03:50 AM »
Fantastic 2nd goal. GOLAZO!
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2016, 09:09:47 AM »
" Powder's performances at left back have earned him plaudits from day one this year, consistently showing as one of the better players on the field. " May'16
"Powder is a winger by nature but appears to have converted well to being a left back at the professional level." May'16
"Trinidad and Tobago’s US-based defender Noah Powder holds a strong yearning to play at the highest level for Trinidad and Tobago." June'16

In those goals, he ain't playing defense. Well taken goals btw, I didnt watch the whole game. Was he overlapping or is he now a winger in Sept'16 ?
Is he being considered as a forward, midfield or defense, is what I am asking. I think I saw him play left mid for the U21, if it was him, showed ok, but opposition was very poor.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 09:12:28 AM by maxg »

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 06:45:03 PM »
Powder 2nd goal up for USL Goal of the week, vote for him

http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/696951

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 09:17:00 AM »
Noah Powder with his season league champion and record setting NYRBII teammates will face Charleston Battery on Saturday at 7:30pm

Charleston Battery is home of former North East Stars FC, Neveal Hackshaw and former Central FC, Ataulla Guerra

http://www.uslsoccer.com/game/show/13218091

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 09:41:18 AM »
Saw him play a few times, very good player, Hart should cap him for the Caribbean Cup.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 12:56:53 PM »
Saw him play a few times, very good player, Hart should cap him for the Caribbean Cup.

Nah, he'll be playing with the U-20s in October.

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2016, 08:58:56 AM »
Powder on duty with U20's in Panama in preparation for CFU Finals to be held 21st October through 30th October.

Started more games at the same level as many receiving call ups, starter on a much better team that won regular season championship and playing in Conference Finals tomorrow.

He certainly had a season that warrants consideration from Hart as he can play LB and RB. Also played holding midfield and as a winger for New York Red Bulls II.

Age 17
Former U17 Captain
Current Vice Captain U-20
NYRB Regular Season 18 games played, 1051 Minutes, 2 Goals
NYRB Playoffs 2 games played, 210 minutes

NYRB in Eastern Conference Finals Sunday vs. Ranjitsingh Louisville FC but he reported to U20's

http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/694873?referrer_id=2693397

http://www.uslsoccer.com/game/show/13218194?subseason=280291

I pushing for his call up because Powder have 3 options born in USA, Haitian mother and TnT father. Right now he committed to TnT but you never know.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2016, 11:19:56 AM »
we should give him a try on the senior team, our wing back position is very weak. by the time the world cup comes he will be 19 which is prime performing age to hit the scene.

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 09:26:05 PM »
Powder, Trinidad & Tobago Qualify for CONCACAF U20s
10/27/2016, 9:04am EDT By USLSoccer.com Staff
Red Bulls II defender helps Soca Warriors record three consecutive shutouts

http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/714130?referrer_id=2855829

WILLEMSTAD, Curaçao – New York Red Bulls II defender Noah Powder and the Trinidad & Tobago U20 National Team qualified for the 2017 CONCACAF U20 Championship on Wednesday night after earning a 0-0 draw with Haiti in the final game of the group stage in the Caribbean Football Union U20 Tournament at Ergilio Hato Stadium.

Powder, who made 18 appearances for the Red Bulls II in the regular season and two in the 2016 USL Cup Playoffs, was part of a defense that did not concede a goal in its three group games. The 18-year-old also found the net in a 4-0 victory against Saint Lucia on Monday night as the side advanced in the tournament.

Trinidad & Tobago will face Antigua & Barbuda in the semifinals of the tournament on Friday night. The CONCACAF U20 Championship is set to be held next February in Costa Rica, and also serves as qualifying for the 2017 FIFA U20 World Cup in South Korea next May.

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 07:16:44 PM »
Noah Powder listed as one of top 12 players to watch in CONCACAF U20

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2017, 01:10:25 PM »
A guide to the 2017 CONCACAF U-20 Championship for New York Red Bulls fans
Twelve teams competing for four U-20 World Cup spots, plus some Tyler Adams and
Noah Powder - what's not to like for RBNY fans?

http://www.onceametro.com/2017/2/14/14587890/a-guide-to-the-2017-concacaf-u-20-championship-for-new-york-red-bulls-fans-tyler-adams

The 2017 CONCACAF U-20 Championship kicks off in Costa Rica on February 17. In the 2015 edition of this tournament, the New York Red Bulls' Matt Miazga played for the USA. By the end of January 2016, he was a Chelsea player. The region's next generation of stars don't all appear at the U-20 tournament, but many of them do - and some, like Miazga, will look back on this competition as the beginning of the year that launched their pro soccer careers.

It's a tournament worth watching, particularly if your club has a player or two involved. As it happens, the Red Bulls do have a current player in this one: Tyler Adams is on the USA's roster. Also, Academy product and NYRB II regular Noah Powder is in the Trinidad and Tobago squad. So more than one reason for RBNY fans to pay some mind to this year's CONCACAF U-20 Championship.

The Basics
There are 12 teams in the tournament and the top four will qualify for the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup, which will kick off in South Korea on May 20. To make the top four, a team must successfully navigate two group stages.

The first group stage sees the 12-team field divided into three groups of four. The top two from each group will progress to a second group stage.

In the second group stage, the six qualifiers will be divided into two groups of three. The top two from each of those groups qualify for the U-20 World Cup. The winners of the two second-stage groups play each other to determine the CONCACAF U-20 Champion.

The Groups
The first group stage is perhaps the most significant. Only six of the 12 teams will still be in the tournament after this round. Of the six who get to the next stage, four will move to the 2017 U-20 World Cup. The first cut will be the deepest at this CONCACAF Championship.

Group A: Antigua and Barbuda, Canada, Honduras, Mexico
Mexico is the clear favorite to win this group, not least because Mexico is the clear favorite to win this tournament. El Tri's U-20s have won the last three CONCACAF Championships at this level, and this particular squad includes several players who were part of Mexico's 2015 U-17 CONCACAF Championship-winning squad, and eight members of the starting lineup of the team that lost a 2015 U-17 World Cup semifinal to eventual champion Nigeria.

Honduras doesn't seem to have graduated quite so many of its 2015 U-17 squad to this year's U-20s, but respect is due to the program that finished the 2015 U-17 CONCACAF Championship as runner up - so count the Hondurans as favorites to claim the second ticket out of this group. RBNY fans may be interested to see Douglas Martinez, who trialed with the Red Bulls in 2016 and had hoped to be part of the club's 2017 season will join the club's USL team, NYRB II, after this tournament.

Canada's squad does not include perhaps its two best-known teenage players: Vancouver Whitecaps' Alphonso Davies and Montreal Impact's Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla. Still, it is a worthy mix of emerging players (mostly) based at clubs in Canada and Europe.

Antigua and Barbuda, surprisingly, swept through two rounds of Caribbean qualification unbeaten, falling only to Haiti in the final of the Caribbean Football Union's 2016 U-20 Championship. Mostly comprised of Antigua-based players, the squad does include a smattering of youth-teamers from high-profile European clubs such as Leicester City and Manchester United. Forward Javorn Stevens was one of the more successful players in the qualifying campaign for this tournament and has recently signed a contract to play for Seattle Sounders 2 in USL.

Group B: Haiti, St. Kitts and Nevis, Panama, USA
It is a mark of the strength and depth of the USA's men's youth program that despite the absence of many of the standouts from the squad that went to the 2015 U-17 World Cup - Matt Olosunde, Christian Pulisic, Joshua Perez, Haji Wright - the Americans are still very heavy favorites to win this group and ultimately advance to the 2017 U-20 World Cup. RBNY's Tyler Adams was young for the U-17 squad in 2015 (which he was on) and he is young for this U-20 squad, but he is thought to have a very good shot at a breakout year and that is largely down to the potential for him to play a big role for the USA at this tournament and the U-20 World Cup.

Haiti ran away with Caribbean qualifying for this tournament, winning five out of six (and drawing the other) games in two group stage rounds and convincingly clinching the Caribbean U-20 title with a 3-0 semifinal win over Bermuda and a 4-0 win over Antigua and Barbuda in the final. Jimmy Sanon just won USL's 2016 Goal of the Year award, and might therefore be the best known Haitian player to American eyes on this competition.

But Haiti has done a good job of progressing a talented U-20 cohort. Ronaldo Damus is a 17-year-old goal scorer who bagged six goals in his team's five final-round games of Caribbean qualifying. Forward Jonel Desire has started to make a case for regular starts for the senior men's national team (and he was one of the top scorers in the 2015 CONCACAF U-20 Championship). Roberto Louima prepped for this tournament with a trial for NYC FC. That attacking trio alone makes Haiti one of the more exciting prospects in the competition.

The last time Panama showed up to a CONCACAF U-20 Championship, it breezed through the 2015 group stage with an unblemished record - five wins out of five and no goals conceded. The squad came up just short in the final, losing to Mexico on penalties after a 1-1 tie. But that team also won its qualifying tournament for the regional championship. This time around, however, Los Canaleros are only here because Guatemala was disqualified. The fourth-best team out of Central American qualifying might well be capable of surprising its opponents in this group. Once A Metro will be duly surprised if it does, not least because head coach Leonardo Pipino abruptly quit the team on February 9.

If you want to know why Jamaica is not in this tournament: St. Kitts and Nevis is the answer. The U-20 Sugar Boyz topped the qualifying group Jamaica was expected to win, and went on to clinch the lucky-loser's spot at this competition out of Caribbean qualifying. Tahir Hanley made a name for himself during the unexpected run to the CONCACAF Championship. Few expected St. Kitts and Nevis to get this far, fewer expect them to get any further - which ought not to deter the Group B underdog.

Group C: Bermuda, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Trinidad and Tobago
Costa Rica is the home team for this tournament, so make Los Ticos favorites to get out of Group C. There are players in the squad - like forward Andy Reyes - who were part of the U-17 selection that made it to the quarterfinals of the 2015 U-17 World Cup. Surprisingly, perhaps the most highly-rated player in the Costa Rican player pool for this age-group, Gerson Torres, did not make the roster for this competition, but head coach Marcelo Herrera essentially said the player's success - which has included senior national team caps and a move to Club America - had effectively prevented him from being integrated into the U-20s. Leaving one of the more admired U-20 players in the region off the team speaks to a confidence in the ability of a talented squad to be more than the sum of its parts.

Eduardo Lara has stepped up from coaching the  El Salvador U-20s to the senior national team job, handing over head coaching duties for this tournament to his assistant, Jose Helmer Silva. Lara had hoped to persuade Fiorentina's Joshua Perez - also eligible for USA squad - into the team for this competition, but that plan has not panned out. Still, the Salvadorans were the second-best team in Central American qualifying, and will expect to be better than the Caribbean teams in this group.

Trinidad and Tobago is another team unable to bring its best-known talent at this level to the tournament: AZ's Levi Garcia is not in the squad, and has arguably outgrown the U-20 player pool - he will be expected to continue to feature for T&T's senior men's national team this year. New York Red Bulls Academy product Noah Powder is on the roster, and should see a lot of time on the field, not least because the squad is short on left backs. T&T was the only team Haiti didn't beat in Caribbean qualifying, but it also lost to Bermuda in the third-place playoff of that tournament. The opening game of this group is a re-match for the Caribbean rivals - and will establish which of them can be expected to challenge for a place in the next round.

Given the fact Bermuda finished above Trinidad and Tobago in Caribbean qualifying, it's a little unfair to cast the team as least-likely to get out of Group C - but so it goes. The Gombey Warriors lack the reputation or history in this tournament to be regarded as anything other than makeweights. They will have ample opportunity to prove that perception wrong.

The Classification Stage
After the first group stage comes the second, titled the "classification stage" to avoid confusion and also because it is the stage from which the U-20 World Cup qualifiers will emerge. Two groups of three will see their top two teams secure tickets to South Korea.

There won't be much margin for error in these three-team groups: each team only plays twice. From the USMNT's perspective, the primary concern will be to avoid finishing second in the Group Stage. Second place in Group B will be in a Classification Stage group with the winners of the other two groups. And those winners are expected to be favorite Mexico and home team Costa Rica - the USA does not want to be playing its way out of such a group to make the World Cup.

If the USA can win Group B, as expected, it should have a somewhat smoother ride through the Classification Stage, playing against the second-placed teams from Groups A and C.

But there will doubtless be surprises in the Group Stage, and they will almost certainly create some surprises for the Classification Stage.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Noah Powder training with New York Red Bulls II, decision forthcoming
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 05:38:48 PM »
Noah Powder training with New York Red Bulls II, decision forthcoming
By Jake Evans (onceametro.com)

Once a Metro understands that Noah Powder is back with New York Red Bulls II, at least for the moment. Powder, 18, has not been with the team since the end of last season but is currently training with the team.

The New York Red Bulls academy graduate was a key piece of New York Red Bulls II’s dominant season in the USL last year, making twenty appearances as an amateur player for the double winning team. However, at the end of the year instead of signing a professional deal with either New York’s USL or MLS squad, Powder temporarily left the team for trials in Europe. Powder trained with Paris Saint-Germain and other French teams over the winter but did not catch on anywhere in Europe. The full details of his European excursion are unknown.

As first spotted by eagle-eyed fan Eric Friedlander on May 30, Noah Powder has been training with the New York Red Bulls II for the past two weeks.

The converted fullback graduated from New York’s academy at the end of last season and can no longer play for the team as an amateur player as he has in the past. Noah Powder’s future now lies as a professional, and potentially as a homegrown player for New York. Since he left New York at the end of 2016, Powder made youth international appearances for Trinidad and Tobago but otherwise has not played professionally.

No decision has been made as to Noah Powder’s place with the team yet. However, Once a Metro understands that a decision on his future is expected soon.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
New York Red Bulls II sign Noah Powder
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 10:54:02 AM »
New York Red Bulls II sign Noah Powder
Red Bulls Communications

New York Red Bulls II have signed Red Bulls Academy product Noah Powder to a USL contract. Powder’s registration is complete and he will be available for selection this Saturday, when NYRB II hosts the Charlotte Independence at Montclair State University.

“It’s great to have Noah back in the mix,” said NYRB II Head Coach John Wolyniec. “We’re excited to have him with the team. Noah’s been a part of the academy and played with us last year, so we feel really good about having him back and hopefully I can help him get to the next level.”

Powder, a native of Maplewood, N.J., featured heavily for NYRB II in 2016 as an amateur, playing a total of 1261 minutes across 20 matches, while scoring two goals for the USL side en route to a USL Cup title.

Powder has also appeared for Trinidad and Tobago’s U-20 Men’s National Team. With Trinidad & Tobago, he participated in the 2015 CONCACAF U-17 Championships in Honduras in which he started all five matches and scored two goals.

In the 2015-16 U.S. Soccer Development Academy season, Powder played 12 games, including 10 starts, for the Red Bulls U-18s and scored two goals.

Noah Powder

Position: Defender

Height: 5’8”

DOB: 10/27/1998

Hometown: Maplewood, N.J.

Previous Club: Red Bulls Academy

1]; } ?>