Poll

Who is stronger?who wins?

Muhamad Ali
3 (42.9%)
Superman
4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: May 16, 2006, 03:02:57 AM

Author Topic: Muhamad Ali vs Superman:who wins?  (Read 38510 times)

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Re: Muhamad Ali vs Superman:who wins?
« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2008, 02:51:26 PM »

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 21, 2008, 10:27:40 AM »
Derek Walcott vs VS Naipaul  :o  :o  :beermug:
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/06/wallcott_of_silence.html

The distraction of Walcott vs Naipaul
With his poem, The Mongoose, Derek Walcott attacked his literary contemporary and nemesis - and overshadowed some great new work
June 5, 2008 3:30 PM

Derek Walcott
Poetic jutice ... Derek Walcott has taken on his rival in verse.

The day before the start of the Calabash Literary Festival, the sky above Treasure Beach, Jamaica, was rent by the blades of a descending helicopter. Which writer merited a whisking-in by air, avoiding the hours-long drive from Kingston? Perhaps a Nobel laureate? Later one of the organisers crisply denied the rumour: "We did not fly in Derek Walcott by chopper"

Walcott was the headline act at Calabash 2008. The festival had wooed him for years, and the crowd was abuzz with anticipation. He can be prickly at public appearances. Would Walcott behave himself? Would he say something rude? At high noon on a sweltering Saturday, hundreds packed the Calabash tent. Not a whisper of breeze came off the sea behind the stage as Walcott eased himself into an armchair to be interviewed by the Jamaican poet Kwame Dawes. As you can hear in this podcast, Walcott was at first only mildly prickly, speaking about art, film, Paul Simon's music. He read a handful of new poems. So far so good.

Then he came to his final selection, a poem called The Mongoose. "I debated whether to read this here," Walcott said. "You'll recognise Mr Naipaul." Uh-oh. As Daniel Trilling reported , there followed "a fast-paced, savagely humorous demolition of Naipaul's work and personality", composed in rhyming couplets and spiced with vitriol of the highest proof. Walcott touched on Naipaul's sexual peccadilloes and his supposed racism; he even mocked a photo once circulated by Naipaul's publishers: "to show its kindness it clutches a kitten / that looks as though it's scared of being bitten".

"How long before this makes the headlines?" a friend asked afterwards. The press was scooped by the Jamaican writer Annie Paul, who blogged about the event next day. As she noted, The Mongoose was surely "payback" for Naipaul's latest book, A Writer's People, the opening chapter of which praises Walcott's earliest poems, only to condemn him in tones of deceptive gentleness as "a man whose talent had been all but strangled by his colonial setting".

Walcott and Naipaul have long been considered the opposing poles of West Indian literature. Near contemporaries, born on islands a few hundred miles apart, they both decided early - influenced by fathers who died young - on literary careers. Walcott was the prompter prodigy, self-publishing his first book of poems at 18, encouraged by mentors like the Barbadian poet Frank Collymore. But Naipaul, leaving Trinidad on a scholarship to Oxford, was the first to enjoy a London publisher and an international reputation. Their paths crossed over the years, and in 1965 Walcott even interviewed Naipaul for the Trinidad Guardian - an awkward encounter. But they were never quite friends, and at a glance the thrusts of their writing could not look more different.

Walcott celebrates the landscape and people of the Caribbean, imagining new metaphors for the "green world" of the islands; Naipaul exposes the absurdities and hypocrisies of post-colonial societies with an honesty that can feel cruel. Walcott charts the sunlit "New Aegean" of the Antilles; Naipaul gropes through Third World "areas of darkness". Walcott the hopeful lyricist; Naipaul the harsh satirist. (Never mind that Walcott's poems of the 70s can sound a despair as dark as anything in Naipaul; or that the nickname he invented for his opposite, "V S Nightfall", harks back to the title of "What the Twilight Says", Walcott's bittersweet essay on the plight of the Caribbean artist.)

In the fame-and-fortune race, Naipaul long ran ahead. Not until Walcott moved to the US in the 1980s did he have a truly international profile. It must have been a blow to Naipaul when his rival won the Nobel prize first, in 1992. But the cold war between them was already escalated in 1987 by Walcott's review of Naipaul's book The Enigma of Arrival. "The myth of Naipaul ... has long been a farce," he wrote. "That self-disfiguring sneer that is praised for its probity is only that." (Readers may notice how "The Mongoose" echoes the language of this earlier piece.) Naipaul waited 20 years to strike back in A Writer's People - who knew mongooses were so patient? At 78, Walcott clearly did not wish to delay the next round.

The pity is that The Mongoose has overshadowed the rest of Calabash 08, which included top-notch Jamaican writers such as Lorna Goodison, Erna Brodber, and Margaret Cezair-Thompson reading to an avid home audience. Thomas Glave opened the programme with a forceful and moving denunciation of Jamaican homophobia (hear an interview with him here), and the poets Aracelis Girmay, Jackie Kay and Kei Miller electrified their audience at a reading that brought tears to the eyes of many (myself included). The Mongoose may end up as a footnote in literary history, in the chapter titled Feuds, but it's those three poets reading like incandescent angels on a hot Sunday afternoon that are burned in my memory. I'll take angels over mongooses any day.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 05, 2009, 02:43:16 PM »
Nagessar vs Navas  :challenge:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 06, 2009, 08:41:36 AM »
These two great are great writers, despite their "faults". We should embrace them. They are our own.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2009, 10:34:17 AM »
Brownsugar vs. Weary  ;D
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 10, 2009, 12:18:46 PM »
Who will win the battle of the most effective use of text messaging (SMS)?  :beermug:

In this corner:

In the other corner:

Let's get ready to RUMBLEeeeeeeeeeee!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2009, 03:28:28 PM »

Berlusconi

v.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-LWXdiS6SrY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-LWXdiS6SrY</a>

:devil:

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #157 on: December 16, 2009, 04:22:38 AM »
Ah cah refrain no more.

Ali vs. Superman actually took place in a comic book back in the 70s.

It was one of those classic super sized comics.

Never saw the actual comic in TT, so I doh know who win.

VB
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:51:15 PM by vb »
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 16, 2009, 05:31:59 AM »
Ah cah refrain no more.

Ali vs. Superman actually took place in a comic book back in the 70.

It was one of those classic super sized comics.

Never saw the actual comin in TT, so I doh know who win.

VB

Ali won the fight (it was fought on a neutral planet where Superman's powers weren't effective).  It was a hard bout but ultimately Ali's experience as a boxer won out.

Shortly thereafter they had to team up to beat a greater evil and the story ends triumphantly. 

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 16, 2009, 08:11:14 AM »
Yuh make out Batman in the crowd?
He in the front rows with the rappers, mobsters and pimps.

I sure catwoman close by in a fur coat.

In the corner it looking like George Forman takin in the fight too. He dey bawlin "Superman Bumaye!"
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 17, 2009, 01:04:01 AM »
This is a classic thread.    ;D   greatness!!!!!
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 24, 2011, 02:38:06 PM »
Dominic Kalipersad vs Anand Ramlogan  :beermug:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 25, 2011, 04:17:45 PM »
Dominic Kalipersad vs Anand Ramlogan  :beermug:

:beermug: :beermug:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2013, 10:22:02 AM »
Would love to see Komono Dragon vs Saltwater Crocodile .
Who would win this ?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2013, 11:07:55 AM »
Who would win this ?

Komodo Dragon wouldn't stand a chance...

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2013, 12:23:50 PM »
Who would win this ?

Komodo Dragon wouldn't stand a chance...

True dat. But just the other dayI was thinking salt water croc vs. a Tiger or White Shark.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2013, 01:02:44 PM »
If the croc get bit its done ......even doh its does have the greatest infection defense on the planet for got about that .No crocs on komono island doh

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2013, 02:01:20 PM »
If the croc get bit its done ......even doh its does have the greatest infection defense on the planet for got about that .No crocs on komono island doh

How the Komodo dragon biting thru that armor?

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 10, 2013, 02:18:12 PM »

It can"t, I don"t think ,but I also dont think the feet are armored ...plus am sure those two would lock jaws  .

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 10, 2013, 02:49:48 PM »

It can"t, I don"t think ,but I also dont think the feet are armored ...plus am sure those two would lock jaws  .
Could the croc drag the dragon in to the water though?  That is where they do their damage with that death roll.  Then again I don't think Komodo dragons move very quick even on land which crocs can kind of do.  I think crocs have a relatively soft underbelly, but even if it gets infected (which it would with a Komodo) I think it could still kill the Komodo before it succombs.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:52:41 PM by theworm2345 »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 10, 2013, 02:53:22 PM »

Could the croc drag the dragon in to the water though?  That is where they do their damage with that death roll.  Then again I don't think Komodo dragons move very quick even on land which crocs can kind of do.
Don't even have to drag it anywhere... Salties bite with 3,700 lbs of force.  Even if the croc gets infected, the lizard definitely not surviving that encounter.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2013, 02:58:51 PM »

Could the croc drag the dragon in to the water though?  That is where they do their damage with that death roll.  Then again I don't think Komodo dragons move very quick even on land which crocs can kind of do.  I think crocs have a relatively soft underbelly, but even if it gets infected (which it would with a Komodo) I think it could still kill the Komodo before it succombs.
Death roll work pretty good on the land too.I thinking land fight like those 2 square off ,face to face ,eye to eye.Dont know about komonos water abilities.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 10, 2013, 06:22:18 PM »
Death roll work pretty good on the land too.I thinking land fight like those 2 square off ,face to face ,eye to eye.Dont know about komonos water abilities.

What is ah "komono"?  :devil:

truetrini

« Reply #173 on: February 11, 2013, 04:44:48 AM »
Controversial

versus

Super Beh Beh!!

Dat is battle Royale!

I backing Contro.

This man can never be more stupid!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 04:47:51 AM by truetrini SC »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 11, 2013, 04:58:19 PM »
LOL!!  Yeah boy... he have tuh come real good to challenge Khuntro.

truetrini

« Reply #175 on: February 11, 2013, 05:17:19 PM »
Contro go beat he bad...with he forensic, hand writing, and writing style analysis and studies under he belt.  DE S.B.B has not a chance!

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 07, 2016, 07:39:33 AM »
When Muhammad Ali took on Superman
By BBC Trending
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-36467141

1]; } ?>