April 26, 2024, 04:36:18 PM

Author Topic: The Zidane Thread.  (Read 14657 times)

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
Re: The great Zidane....pay your respects to a true maestro
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2006, 04:23:32 PM »
i cba to read it all

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2006, 04:26:15 PM »
me neither. especially since he ent do nothing tonight.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2006, 04:26:35 PM »
Hmmm....where were all these Zidane lovers before de tournament start?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2006, 04:32:22 PM »
Hmmm....where were all these Zidane lovers before de tournament start?

loool dat exactly wot i thinking
i mean im honest i didnt think so much of him before..but i do realise he is a great player
but it funny  how everyone has loved him always now

Offline UK_Soca_warrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2006, 04:33:07 PM »
Well i'm glad he decided to retire. Because his rep was being tainted with some very poor performances. Zidane play 1, ONE good game in de whole tournament. Scored 1 penalty, and one break away goal!

Personally I think he should have stayed in retirement, and kept that great legacy in tack. But he is fortunate that this late surge to glory saving his rep. Cus at the start of the tournament he looked like a fallen hero.

Offline richpy

• Sr. Warrior
  • *Marta is ah boss*
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2006, 05:01:40 PM »
Well i'm glad he decided to retire. Because his rep was being tainted with some very poor performances. Zidane play 1, ONE good game in de whole tournament. Scored 1 penalty, and one break away goal!

Personally I think he should have stayed in retirement, and kept that great legacy in tack. But he is fortunate that this late surge to glory saving his rep. Cus at the start of the tournament he looked like a fallen hero.

Oh for real? Zidane had one good game in the tournament? Where you watching football, fadda?

He rep was being tainted? Zidane is already in the greats catogory. How could this tournament taint his reputation?

You say he lucky that France have a late surge? So who is a big reason behind that surge? Sounds like somebody team get knock out from France to spew all that bitterness to me.
Ketch footballitis

Offline UK_Soca_warrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2006, 05:05:02 PM »

To answer your questions richpy:

Oh for real? Zidane had one good game in the tournament?  YES

He rep was being tainted? YES

Zidane is already in the greats catogory. How could this tournament taint his reputation? BY PLAYING LIKE A SHADOW OF HIMSELF!

You say he lucky that France have a late surge? So who is a big reason behind that surge? FRENCH TEAM WORK!

Sounds like somebody team get knock out from France to spew all that bitterness to me.  WELL IF YOU COUNT ARGENTINA YES! BUT WAIT, FRANCE DIDNT BEAT ARGENTINA  ??? SO I GUESS I'M NOT BITTER ABOUT FRANCE  ;D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 05:23:41 PM by UK_Soca_warrior »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2006, 07:18:34 PM »

To answer your questions richpy:

Oh for real? Zidane had one good game in the tournament?  YES

He rep was being tainted? YES

Zidane is already in the greats catogory. How could this tournament taint his reputation? BY PLAYING LIKE A SHADOW OF HIMSELF!

You say he lucky that France have a late surge? So who is a big reason behind that surge? FRENCH TEAM WORK!

Sounds like somebody team get knock out from France to spew all that bitterness to me.  WELL IF YOU COUNT ARGENTINA YES! BUT WAIT, FRANCE DIDNT BEAT ARGENTINA  ??? SO I GUESS I'M NOT BITTER ABOUT FRANCE  ;D

Teamwork may have done the job of defending, but France has hardly scored in this tournament without Zidane having a hand in it.  Where would France really be without Zidane?

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2006, 08:37:57 PM »
this current french squad is built around zidane.france will win de wc.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2006, 08:49:51 PM »

Scored 1 penalty, and one break away goal!

you does think before you shoot yuh mouth off
a break away goal is when yuh one on one with the keeper which it was not

Més que un club.

Offline UK_Soca_warrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2006, 12:49:05 AM »

Scored 1 penalty, and one break away goal!

you does think before you shoot yuh mouth off
a break away goal is when yuh one on one with the keeper which it was not

Oh of course oh wise one! how could I ever make that mistake!!   Send me to football fan jail!  ::)

I think before I post, but once again you does pick de smallest ting and make a big deal out of it.

Jeeeze get a life!

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2006, 01:23:15 AM »
France are through to the final because of a great defence, not much to do with their offence. 8 goals in 6 games is hardly setting the tournament alight. Men like Gallas and Sagnol deserve the credit, not Zidane.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Zizou - class is class
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2010, 09:19:34 PM »
If ever you had any doubt of this man's skill this should fix that ...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1488494903422202558#docid=1201662820745287204

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: Zizou - class is class
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2010, 09:36:26 PM »
Class is class

key for me is his balance, it allows him to manipulate his body without losing equilibrium
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Zidane Thread.
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2010, 02:09:56 PM »
That man have a nice touch on the ball dread. The thing that amazes me from that video is how quick he is with the ball at his feet but he moves at a slow pace, very deceptive. Dem fellas couldn't even get a tackle in lol.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Francescoli assesses Zidane's moment of madness
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2016, 10:47:15 AM »
Francescoli assesses Zidane's moment of madness
FIFA.com

When Enzo Francescoli sat down with his sons Bruno and Marco at his Miami home to watch the Final of the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™, he did so hoping to see Zinedine Zidane, a player he called “France’s Maradona of 86”, lift the Trophy. But when the images came through of Zizou headbutting Marco Materazzi and sending the Italian defender flying backwards, he could barely contain his sense of shock, exclaiming: “What madness! So stupid!”

“It was pretty intense. They were part of his make-up, those two minutes,” said Francescoli, looking back on the incident with FIFA.com. “I felt very sorry for him. If he hadn’t had that rush of blood to the head, he would have had a much bigger place in the history of the game. He already has a place but he would have been a much more important figure because France would have become world champions, and it would have been the most spectacular farewell ever.” 

The magical skills of the France No10 were not the only reason the Uruguayan great tuned in to watch Italy take on Les Bleus in a fixture that would not interest him today: “I’d seen Zidane lots of times and I’d gone to meet Enzo. We were friends with him because of all that.”

“All that” is the relationship between the two players, which goes back to 1989. It was not until 1996, however, in the lead-up to the Intercontinental Cup match between Juventus and River Plate – a game in which Zidane and Francescoli were on opposing sides – that the Frenchman revealed that he had named his eldest son Enzo in honour of the opposing No9, an idol of his since the Uruguayan’s days at Marseille.

“To have someone like that, who was a huge figure in the game, tell you that he went to watch you every afternoon, and that you used to do this and say that… well, it gave me a huge lift,” said Francescoli. Zizou’s admiration for El Príncipe was such that whenever he was away with the national team he slept in the shirt the River star had given him. “His wife said he sometimes slept with the shirt on at home,” he added with a mix of incredulity and pride. “Footballers are crazy,” he concluded.

A headstrong idol

Zidane saw the Uruguayan as a footballing god, a status that Francescoli said made him blush a little. The Frenchman even made this admission on one occasion: “I was so obsessed with him that I studied all his moves, everything he did. I did all I could to play like him." Zidane copied him and surpassed him in many aspects, including some of the darker arts of the game, as those few seconds of blind rage in the Germany 2006 Final showed.

“We all have a moment of madness in our lives,” acknowledged Francescoli. “I did a headbutt in the 1987 Copa America final against Chile and was rightly sent off by the Brazilian Arppi Filho. In a game a while before that (Fernando) Astengo had kicked me, and I had torn a muscle. I was a bit wound-up about that.

“Astengo didn’t even kick me [in the final]. He got (Antonio) Alzamendi. But he shoved his face right into mine, like this (Francescoli pulls a face) and I aimed a headbutt at him. I didn’t even touch him, but down he went. I felt like killing myself. I wouldn’t have minded if it had happened in an ordinary game, but not in a final. If you get sent off in an ordinary match, you can accept it, but when it happens in games like that…”

When Francescoli saw Zidane do the same thing at the Olympiastadion in Berlin his heart sank. Certain that France would have won the world title had it not been for that headbutt, he said: “Yes, they lost on penalties, and that could have happened with or without Zidane on the pitch, but I think he made such a difference to France that he was like (Diego) Maradona in 86.

“Things like that can affect you and the team as a whole. Zizou losing it like that maybe didn’t make much of a difference to the game, because it came at the end of extra-time, but it can prey on your mind. So when I saw it, it knocked me back a bit.”

Francescoli’s sense of sadness is all the more intense because he felt Zidane was on top form that day, as he had shown in converting the penalty that gave France an early 1-0 lead. “It didn’t surprise me to see him chip it,” recalled the Uruguayan. “He and (Gianluigi) Buffon knew each other inside out, and he was always going to try something different. If anything, he got under it a little too much, but he had the luck that would desert him later in the game.”

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Francescoli assesses Zidane's moment of madness
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2016, 01:24:49 PM »
Cool story :thumbsup:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Francescoli assesses Zidane's moment of madness
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2016, 01:52:32 PM »
Cool story :thumbsup:

I and all was dumbfounded by ZiZou's action. I honestly thought that France lost the psychological edge when he got sent off. Yes ... they could have one without him, but he has the intangible effect that carries a team over the top. But funny thing I would have buss a butt on the guy who taunted him. But not in front the ref though.

1]; } ?>