April 25, 2024, 04:03:36 PM

Author Topic: Cordell Cato could prove to be a wild card for the San Jose Earthquakes  (Read 4285 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cato could prove to be a wild card for the San Jose vs. Real Salt Lake on ESPN2
mlssoccer.com.

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- In terms of the San Jose Earthquakes’ depth chart, the cards are stacked against Cordell Cato.

Bolstering the wings was an area of offseason concentration for the Quakes, who not only brought in Leandro Barrera and Sanna Nyassi but have also moved Designated Player Innocent Emeghara out wide in an attempt to maximize their talent on the field.

So, like any good winger, Cato has ran right past his obstacles.

If right back Marvell Wynne, who left the Quakes’ 2-1 loss to New England last weekend after 55 minutes due to a strained right hamstring, is unable to come back Sunday against Real Salt Lake (5 pm ET, ESPN2 and ESPN Deportes), Cato is in line to earn his first start of the season.

The 22-year-old Trinidadian youth international said he’s ready to step in for a full 90 minutes in place of Wynne, whom he replaced during the loss to the Revs. Wynne was limited during training Friday to running laps, rather than partaking in any more substantive drills or scrimmaging.

“Yeah, I’m ready” to play right back, Cato told reporters earlier this week. “I kind of have to be.”

That’s true; the Quakes cut loose Pablo Pintos during the offseason and parted ways by “mutual agreement” with Brandon Barklage last month, thinning their ranks at right back.

Of course, Cato’s ability to cover the position in a pinch might have helped lead the Quakes to make those moves in the first place.

“I still see Cordell primarily at outside right midfield, but knowing that he can play right back, it is a comfort,” Quakes coach Dominic Kinnear said. “And I think when he went back there [against New England], you saw that he can handle the situation well. I know he played there last year a couple times, and I saw those games, so I know he can do that. When Marvell went down it was, ‘OK, Cordell. You’re playing right back.’ And we didn’t think twice about it.”

Cato said that getting some minutes at right back last week would help him if he starts there against RSL. He played some right back in emergencies for previous San Jose coach Mark Watson, but found that Kinnear wants to see more, offensively, from his players in that spot.

“[Attacking] is definitely more encouraged,” Cato said. “He wants you to do your job defensively first, but he also wants you to get in attack as much as possible ... Any opportunity I get to attack, I definitely will.”

The key for Sunday is to balance when to make an overlapping run and when to hang back and allow Nyassi to get forward into that space. The interplay of Nyassi and Wynne has often been one of San Jose’s bright spots so far this season, technically speaking.

“Like I say, it’s little partnerships around the field, and that would be an important partnership for us,” Kinnear said of a Cato-Nyassi pairing. “They may be off, but then again, sometime during the season, Marvell and Sanna may be off. So there’s never that perfect combination.”

If Cato does play, it will represent arguably his best chance to show Kinnear what he’s capable of bringing to the San Jose squad on a regular basis -- and make himself stand out among a crowded field.

“The more competition in the squad, the better the team is going to be,” Cato said. “The better I’m going to be. The better everybody’s going to be individually. So it’s always good.”

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 10:35:23 AM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Cato just scored his 5th MLS goal against the Galaxy at Stanford after being subbed in mid 2nd half

3-1 Earthquakes so far final

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:41:50 PM by E-man »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
WATCH Cordell Cato score the third goal in San Jose Earthquakes’ 3-1 win over LA Galaxy.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ItxsNP5tPQ0?start=182" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ItxsNP5tPQ0?start=182</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
ain't he suppose to be in camp with the national team?

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cato playing right now for San Jose against Man U on FS2

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

how is his first touch and ball possession looking?

perfect timing to get knocked out of the GC
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:00:54 PM by Controversial »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I was switching back and forth between game and the Barca v Galaxy game but he did ok from what I saw, he played simple and I think was involved in the build up on the right flank that lead to San Jose's goal. But he only played the 1st half just like many of the starters on both teams.
I think I saw a Yorke sighting before the game, he might be fulfilling his ambassador role for the club.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I was switching back and forth between game and the Barca v Galaxy game but he did ok from what I saw, he played simple and I think was involved in the build up on the right flank that lead to San Jose's goal. But he only played the 1st half just like many of the starters on both teams.
I think I saw a Yorke sighting before the game, he might be fulfilling his ambassador role for the club.
guess he was to occupied to make offer a sighting in New York..was any x players or other celebrities than those on the field there ? ah just farse..ah shoulda go an see myself  ;D

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

guess he was to occupied to make offer a sighting in New York..was any x players or other celebrities than those on the field there ? ah just farse..ah shoulda go an see myself  ;D
Lmao  :devil:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Maybe Dwight is putting a word or two for Cato to go to Manu! ;D

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
:rotfl: :rotfl: maybe a different Dwight, a different Man U, and a different lifetime

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
:rotfl: :rotfl: maybe a different Dwight, a different Man U, and a different lifetime

Plenty people criticized Fergie for buying Yorke from Aston Villa and predicted he would be a disaster as he wasn't a quality player.

Tommy Docherty: “If that lad makes a First Division footballer, my name is Mao Tse-Tung”
Former Man United manager Docherty was scathing in his criticism of Aston Villa's Dwight Yorke, following a poor performance when the Trinidadian made his senior bow against the Red Devils in 1990.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Plenty people criticized Fergie for buying Yorke from Aston Villa and predicted he would be a disaster as he wasn't a quality player.

Tommy Docherty: “If that lad makes a First Division footballer, my name is Mao Tse-Tung”
Former Man United manager Docherty was scathing in his criticism of Aston Villa's Dwight Yorke, following a poor performance when the Trinidadian made his senior bow against the Red Devils in 1990.
on a serious note. Fergie didn't just start-off in the job either..and Yorke didn't carry better potential players than a Cato, not sure he can compare anyone else to himself either. but in time, anything can happen

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Cato lines up against Manchester United.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

Mere hours after leaving the T&T camp in New Jersey on Monday following this country’s defeat to Panama a day earlier, national team player Cordell Cato was on the field again. On Tuesday the nippy winger started for MLS club San Jose Earthquakes against Manchester United in the International Champions Cup North America at Avaya Stadium in San Jose.

Cato’s team lost 3-1 to United which had the likes of Wayne Rooney and Juan Mata in its line up. Former United boss Sir Alex Ferguson was also part of the club’s contingent at the game.

Cato is coming off a strong showing at the Gold Cup during which he scored in T&T’s 3-1 win over Guatemala.

“It’s been a fantastic experience for us. We came here looking to achieve something and I think we did that. The team came back well after the results and the performances leading up to the Gold Cup were not that impressive. It felt great for me to get that goal in the first match and then we just got better with every game. The Mexico result was huge. Hopefully we can build on this and take it into the future especially for the World Cup qualifiers,” Cato said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
He get a sweat yesterday at right back (he really cyah beat that Panamanian Quintero for the RM role anytime soon)... in my opinion he was kinda vulnerable in defense especially when running backwards to defend...but did add a little bit going forward.

Offline andremartinsc

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
He get a sweat yesterday at right back (he really cyah beat that Panamanian Quintero for the RM role anytime soon)... in my opinion he was kinda vulnerable in defense especially when running backwards to defend...but did add a little bit going forward.

Quintero is a lot better than Cato, but our fullbacks are REALLY bad, so I would like to see Cordell as LB or RB more times.

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
And to think that Quintero was a guy who couldn't even get Liga MX teams interested when he was at Lobos BUAP in Ascenso MX...

Offline andremartinsc

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
And to think that Quintero was a guy who couldn't even get Liga MX teams interested when he was at Lobos BUAP in Ascenso MX...

Hahah He's good but too inconsistent. He does well 80% of the match but in the other 20% he misses key passes and easy finishes. And he's the type of guy that needs to be completely confident to perform well, probably that's why no clubs wanted him. Also having Aníbal Godoy on the same team maybe helped him to adapt and feel comfortable.

Offline andremartinsc

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Cordell Cato played A LOT better than the current RB of the San Jose Earthquakes in a historical win against Toronto.
The Quakes started winning 1-0 but then had 2 men sent off. So Toronto tied the match, and the Quakes scored the game winner even playing with 9 man.
After that they had to hold the result for 40 MINUTES. Fatai Alashe had the best defensive highlights but Cato was solid.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
sound like a heroic performance all around, I'll check the highlights

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cato got an assist tonight playing at right back.
Keep it up.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cato got an assist tonight playing at right back.
Keep it up.
I  could see Cato giving my forwards all kinds like that

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
i just want players to hit form in time for Hart to name his squad.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

1]; } ?>