April 19, 2024, 02:38:42 PM

Author Topic: 2 Live Crew founding member Fresh Kid Ice dead at 53  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2 Live Crew founding member Fresh Kid Ice dead at 53
« on: July 13, 2017, 08:25:38 AM »
2 Live Crew founding member Fresh Kid Ice dead at 53
By Peter Sblendorio (New York Daily News)

Fresh Kid Ice, a founding member of the rap troupe 2 Live Crew who was widely regarded as one of the first major Asian rappers in America, has died, according to colleagues and news sources.

He was 53.

The rapper, whose real name was Christopher Wong Won, died in a Miami hospital Thursday after suffering an undisclosed medical condition, TMZ reported, citing his manager.

A slew of rappers took to social media Thursday morning to mourn the rapper's death.

"My Condolence goes out to the family Chris Wong Wong Fresh Kid Ice of the 2 Live Crew who just passed away people we lost a legend," tweeted his former 2 Live Crew mate Uncle Luke.

Rick Ross paid tribute to the artist as well with a tweet.

"Dam! Just got call we lost 2 Live crew legend Fresh Kid Ice this morning! RIP," he wrote.

Fresh Kid Ice and the 2 Live Crew burst into the Miami hip hop scene in the mid-1980s and quickly polarized listeners by taking sexually graphic rap lyrics to another level.

The group, which Fresh Kid Ice formed with fellow artists Mr. Mixx and Amazing Vee, churned out explicit hits including "Me So Horny" and "Throw the D."

Their most popular album, "As Nasty As They Wanna Be," was particularly polarizing and, a year after its 1989 release, became the first album to ever be deemed legally obscene by the United States government.

Fresh Kid Ice was the only 2 Live Crew member to appear on every one of the group's albums. He later formed his own record label called Chinaman Records.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Live Crew founding member Fresh Kid Ice dead at 53
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 06:33:38 AM »
R.I.P ... One the the first trinis to rep hiphop
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 06:52:47 AM »
Another Trini rapper dead. RIP. Here are some names of Trini or Trini descent who have passed.

Too Poetic - Gravediggaz 2001
Guru - Gangstarr 2010
Phife - Tribe called quest 2016
Fresh Kid Ice - 2 Live crew 2017

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 05:15:34 PM »
Never knew he was Trini.  Don't know any on that list. Have to admit, I don't pay that intense attention to genre. I love some of it. I guess is a generational thing.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 06:49:45 AM »
Nah man Deeks, u must know tribe called quest

"Award tour" was their biggest hit that crossed over...incidentally Phifer uncle live close by in Queens, cool guy
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:13:20 AM by 100% Barataria »
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:22:29 PM »
Never knew he was Trini.  Don't know any on that list. Have to admit, I don't pay that intense attention to genre. I love some of it. I guess is a generational thing.

Like yuh tryin to date yourself Deeks?  :rotfl:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 06:12:40 PM »

Like yuh tryin to date yourself Deeks?  :rotfl:

Age is not an issue with me. I honest when it come to that. Take it or leave it.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 06:14:00 PM »
Nah man Deeks, u must know tribe called quest

"Award tour" was their biggest hit that crossed over...incidentally Phifer uncle live close by in Queens, cool guy

yes, Star, Tribe called Quest was up my Alley. Superb.!

1]; } ?>