March 28, 2024, 05:56:24 AM

Author Topic: Observations on yesterday's game  (Read 3261 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Observations on yesterday's game
« on: September 03, 2016, 07:37:41 AM »
Phillip is very agile but his technique needs work.  Palm the ball right into Ruiz's path for the 2nd goal. Overall, had a good game and made a few key saves to keep T&T in it in the first half (also one in the 2nd)

Defence as a whole has one MAJOR difference to me from teams in the past.  Our defenders are trying to play the ball out of defence as opposed to hoofing it out.  This is definitely a change in mind set and a welcome change. It can only get better as players become more technically proficient. Not easy from a supporter standpoint though.

As one radio commentator stated....Carlyle Mitchell came to play yesterday. I thought he was excellent all game.  The fact that he took Abu Bakr's spot is an indication of how well he must have been performing in the training sessions. And it translated into the field.

Bateau was solid as usual as was Mekeil Williams

Cyrus' positioning was horrible much of the game.  Either playing too close to the Centre backs thus leaving too much space for the opposition, or being caught upfield on the counter and slow to get back.  Interestingly, his overlapping was decent except for getting back on occasion.

Hyland and Boucaud did a decent job protecting the Centre backs. I thought Kevan George when he came on was very good.

Cato had a good game and for me was an indication that he carried his good form with SJ onto the national team. I would actually try him at right wing back and see how Cyrus performs as a midfielder.

Joevin Jones was a threat every time he went forward. 2 well taken goals of which the second was a GOLAZO!  Still struggles defensively but it's a luxury that the team can afford as the other 3 'mods cover for him and Mekeil Williams is a stay at home wing back for the most part.

Molino plays well off of Kenwyne Jones and is effective in picking up "scraps" that fall loose.  I think he's still struggling a bit with his thigh injury

KJ had a poor finishing night..BUT...he occupies so much of the oppositon's defence attention, it makes thing SO MUCH EASIER for the other players. An invaluable, and vastly underrated by many fans and media, asset to have in any team.

The opposition defence could not cope with Levi Garcia when he came on. What a live wire.

Tevin Cesar didn't have much opportunity to make an impression.

Overall, the team looked good in patches, downright disinterested in others, and did enough to get the result.  Considering that this squad had not played together since the last WCQ against SVG.....it probably was to be expected.

No substitute for match practice.  Imagine what we could do if we played more often.

Congrats to the team and coaching staff
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 07:43:03 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline panterry1

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Observations on yesterday's game
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 08:21:44 AM »
"Carlyle Mitchell came to play yesterday." (Radio quote)    I thought he was excellent all game.  The fact that he took Abu Bakr's spot is an indication of how well he must have been performing in the training sessions. And it translated into the field.

Totally agree! I think we have found tow canter backs that can not only defend but also has a good touch on the ball.  With more games together under their belt they can only get better.  I was very impressed with Carlyle Mitchell's game. Got T& T. Nice observation.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 08:24:25 AM »
I guess we watched a totally different game, and it happens at times. unlike you I thought mitchell was poor and at times very shakey, similar to the haiti game in panama. I thought cato was also very poor especially with his mad runs not trying to seek out unmarked players in the attack, for instance when Levi garcia was free and unmarked he made a forced pass to kenwin who was heavily marked by two players.

I agree with you on Cyrus though. the lad truly needs a course on keeping things simple and effective.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:35:34 AM by pull stones »

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 08:47:39 AM »
switching Cato - Cyrus would be interesting.

Levi G gets me real excited when I see him enter the mix... so much energy and CONFIDENCE!

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 09:02:24 AM »
Congrats to the mammoth crowd that came out as well

Cudnt be there cuz some antibiotics givin me a hard time

each game of the HEX gonna be crazy i cant wait

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 09:20:47 AM »
Mitchell played better than what was expected from him. He had maybe two or three questionable moments. More closer to a B+ than an A. But it was a good game considering our options on the defence. Game rating: B+ to A.

I liked that Cato wasn't afraid to run with the ball. Could have made some better decisions with the ball. But I don't think anyone else would have done better in his position and role. Game rating B.

Bateau, solid. Game rating: A

Cyrus, has the potential to be something special. I think that's what Harte sees. But I don't know what's up with him. He makes the players around him look disjointed as well. Some of them actually look shaky when playing with him. It's a matter of time before he conquers his demons on the pitch. Trust me, he has the potential. He just needs a bit of one to one mental coaching with the coach to get his ducks in a row. Game rating: C

Joevin was our saviour. Even if his defence was sh1t or he never ran back as much as he should have, he still deserves a high rating. Yes he made some crucial errors, but we would not be in the Hex, without his inventiveness and creativity. Game rating: A (only because he scored the two goals).

Mekeil Williams has come a very long way. You can see how his experience in the MLS has made him a solid player. Very versatile too. Game rating: B+

K9, it's good that he draws the attention towards him. Made a few bad decisions. However, he is a terrific player when he plays the game very SIMPLE. Game rating: C+ to B

Phillips, kept us in the game. Was very crucial. However hr cracks under pressure. Game rating: B (if it wasn't for those four crucial saves, I would give him  C).

Molino, is not showing the form he had for Orlando 6 weeks back. Still overcoming his injury. Game rating : B.. But can even be a C+.

Hyland. We never know the type of game we will get from him. Suddenly he plays well against Guatemala. Sometimes he tries to be a superman.. Which is actually a good thing. Game rating: B+ to A.

Boucaud, probably more consistent than Hyland. Brought in that hard English work rate. I seen him play better. But decent game. Game rating: B+

Levi. This is a special youth. The firecracker. He put guatemala on the edge which resulted with them not knowing what the hell to do with him. I liked Harte approach to introduce him in the second half. Good game as usual. Game rating : A

Kevan. Did a good job trying to clean up the balls in the middle. Could have pushed onto Ruiz a bit more. Game rating: B

Caesar. Never got to see much from him.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 09:35:31 AM »
Levi Garcia is pure f00cking poison.

What a gem.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 10:05:59 AM »
Agree with Levi being a spark,and livewire however, imo, he was tryin to do it alone. He kept running away from help and he(or Joevin) should have been back on pappa on their 2nd goal. Williams was completely out of position (mind you, he was covering centre,doh not sure he was needed there) when his man made the free square across goal. CatO was mia 1st half. Bou was not assertive enough 1st half. when they went to 10 men, and few minutes left, Everyone but Levi and George started waiting for final whistle.
Few mistakes, and they capitalized. It won't happen against the US, but the US attack will be better, i feel our best strategy is to have them back up with a Levi, Cato, Ceaser, J Jones, Hyland, George start. Run the youths at them, make them think defense. Meanwhile, we hold our defense solid, with some more defensive holding than Cyrus(who I think is an attacking type defender). KJ, Molino, BouBou in the wings for more game management or Hector, Jomal, if consistent game attack is necessary. This is the most balanced team we ever had, there will be individual errors, but they have been minimal, however, we cannot let teams score on the majority of our lapses, yet we have to score on theirs, as KJ should have, twice.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 10:11:08 AM »
I think this version of Soca Warriors represents the whole being better than the sum of individual parts.

I think barring injury or suspension this squad not going to change much. I would even say the starting 11 wouldn't change much from game to game.

We saw the best and worst of Marvin Phillip last night, i think he is a solid deputy to Jan Michael Williams and can be called upon when needed. Excellent shot stopper but needs to work on handling back passes with both feet. A couple moments he was caught with the back pass and you could tell the confidence isn't there. That is something that can be worked out via drills in training. If the coaching staff has video sessions he can observe and correct some of the footwork when clearing his lines. He tries to side foot his clearances but they don't clear half line. Minor technical correction needed.

Bateau and Mitchell are the superior centre backs as i mentioned in a previous posting, comfortable on the ball and strong in the air and have excellent ground speed and both tackle without fouling. As many others posted they need more games together to work out the understanding between the two. Too many times the opposition striker was able to pick up possession in that pocket of space between midfield and attack and turn and face goal and we need to work on that.

Williams had a solid game, Cyrus is not a favorite of mine i admit, he had a better game than against SVG as he is probably a bit fitter but my concern is that we are being scouted and opposition teams are targeting our right side of defense. Its an area of vulnerability but on the flip side Cyrus is a powerful right back and is capable of delivering telling crosses. I guess Hart is taking the good with the bad in this instance but until Hoyte sorts out his club situation it looks like Cyrus. I have a preference of Aubrey David in the back 4 but i guess he is not as good offensively but in the Hex playing away from home defense is key.

Hyland and Boucaud are who they are, solid and experienced. Boucaud tends to take some risks in possession holding up the ball, he feels he has the spirit of Pirlo in him but doesn't have the range. Also he doesn't seem to last past 60 minutes and fades out in the second half. We can't by default use a substitution for a defensive midfield every game if he can't last 90. Hyland will always be a link player, he was good yesterday and we will need his leadership. He does not back down to ANYBODY! and will not be afraid to mix it up with the central americans. He will be debated on this board because the walks a tightrope with the referee but in the Hex i admit that he will always be one of the first names on the team sheet for Coach Hart, he brings the intangibles which are essential in any good team. Kevan George is my preference simply because he is just better defensively and is a 95% pass accuracy man. In away games particularly we will need 90 minutes from him each time. i could live with role off the bench in home games as we have to push the opponents more but once he is fit and playing regularly for club he has to be in the mix.

Molino didn't have a good game yesterday. I don't think its injury or form related, Kevin is a link player, he likes the touch passes and plays within the game which is a pro and a con. Because we were under pressure for large portions of the game he can easily disappear cause he is not defensive minded. When we have good possession he bosses the game because he keeps the passes ticking but there simply was not a lot of sustained possession for him to influence, in contrast the wingers are more of an outlet position, Joevin, Cato and Garcia are drivers of the ball relying on the through pass or the individual dribble. It's almost tempting to play two out and out strikers with those types of players cause they will create for themselves or cross for the striker so its almost better to just load up the box for the cross or the rebound from the winger effort. I see some criticisms of Cato but the lad is quick and defenders we backing off and he was simply floating past them every time. Remember Cato was initially a striker turned winger but what i get excited about is that all our wing men quickly assess the defense and know who they have the beating off and repeatedly go after the defense. It's a killer instinct that you can't coach or train, its a mentality that can take us all the way if their heads remain in the game and confidence levels remain high.

My poor skipper, i had a debate with friends during and after the game. Tactically KJ is the singular one key to our game. He takes the attention of 2-3 defenders every time. He will never be the most prolific, i have accepted that but the abuse he gets off camera is what we don't see. Unfortunately he also represents what we see every week on tv the best in the world do as far as finishing so when the stadium gets on his back for 2-3 missed opportunities then its only understandable. I told them if KJ was efficient as we all would like to be, sorry to say but he wouldn't be at Central FC or even MLS. Top clubs in the world struggle to find 20 goal strikers and pay millions. KJ is a streak scorer so the best i could hope for is a run of form that will get us over the line. But if you consider all aspects of his game within the tactical setup of the team, there is no like deputy.

Looking forward to the game on Tuesday. Both teams qualified so i am not sure how both coaches will treat with the game. I am not afraid with opening up against Mexico in all honesty. I prefer we take that away game early and out of the way and move on. The way its lining up in the Hex is TT, USA and 4 central american teams. The difference this time is that even the likes of Mexico, US and Costa Rica we could take something on the road from them. We are better than versions before. This is why its important we go for the win in on Tuesday, we need to make a statement.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 11:09:47 AM »
Boss analyses fellas. :beermug:   Spot on g! :beermug:
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 02:20:18 PM »
Mitchell played ok overall but was ball watching in the first goal with Cyrus lacking badly.. I would need to see the replays because that first goal could have been stopped, both Mitchell and Cyrus reacted very slowly..

Bateau and Williams played well, no qualms here.. Cato had flashes but had some poor passes.. Overall our passing was terrible, transition was terrible from the back to the mid in build up... KJ wasn't getting the service as usual but throw away on a few which happens...

JJ played very well, I believe him, the intro of Levi and marvins saves were the highlights... I would like to see Greg against the US..

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 03:26:10 PM »
Good stuff above.

The first half was one of our poorer performances, strangely the first few minutes we come out fiery, but something happen after the first 15mins and we were suddenly in a different game.

I find myself having to keep from getting upset with these players, even with our team of the 80's and 90's we struggled in these sorts of games.

Nothing much to add that's different to whats said above, except that I hope every able bodied Guatemalan male decide not to take up football for the next 50 years and they disappear off the football map. They are a disgrace to sportsmanship, not too different to Bahrain. And I feel very happy that yet again we are the team to put them out qualifying...

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 03:52:13 PM »
Good stuff above.

The first half was one of our poorer performances, strangely the first few minutes we come out fiery, but something happen after the first 15mins and we were suddenly in a different game.

I find myself having to keep from getting upset with these players, even with our team of the 80's and 90's we struggled in these sorts of games.

Nothing much to add that's different to whats said above, except that I hope every able bodied Guatemalan male decide not to take up football for the next 50 years and they disappear off the football map. They are a disgrace to sportsmanship, not too different to Bahrain. And I feel very happy that yet again we are the team to put them out qualifying...

I might have missed something. What did they do that was unsportsmanlike?  I watched the Panama and Jamaica game. If you want to see unsportsmanlike, that was the game to see.

The Guatemalans came out and fought hard. Got to give them some credit for putting up a fight.

3 weeks ago my friend for Panama invited me to come out for a sweat. Mainly Mexicans, Argentinians and a couple from Ecuador, Chile and Guatemala. I tell the Guatemalan fella I Trini, he ain't say nothing. Played me very hard. At the end of the sweat he was cool. Told me Guatemala hates losing to Trinidad the most. Because we are so small. He said he attended the 5-1 drubbing in 2005.. And there was a very strong belief in Guatemala that that Guatemalan team was going to progress to Germany. According to him we are more of a rival to Guatemala  than Honduras, Mexico and El Salvador. Those countries never spoil the party for them like we have. I'll see him this Friday. I expect him to play me very very hard.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 05:29:00 PM »
Good stuff above.

I might have missed something. What did they do that was unsportsmanlike?  I watched the Panama and Jamaica game. If you want to see unsportsmanlike, that was the game to see.

The Guatemalans came out and fought hard. Got to give them some credit for putting up a fight.

3 weeks ago my friend for Panama invited me to come out for a sweat. Mainly Mexicans, Argentinians and a couple from Ecuador, Chile and Guatemala. I tell the Guatemalan fella I Trini, he ain't say nothing. Played me very hard. At the end of the sweat he was cool. Told me Guatemala hates losing to Trinidad the most. Because we are so small. He said he attended the 5-1 drubbing in 2005.. And there was a very strong belief in Guatemala that that Guatemalan team was going to progress to Germany. According to him we are more of a rival to Guatemala  than Honduras, Mexico and El Salvador. Those countries never spoil the party for them like we have. I'll see him this Friday. I expect him to play me very very hard.

Yeah, at my neighbourhood carwash a Guatemalan worker gave me a similar story once he realized I from TT, we have become their party spoilers for sure...
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 01:23:06 AM »
Good stuff above.

Yeah, at my neighbourhood carwash a Guatemalan worker gave me a similar story once he realized I from TT, we have become their party spoilers for sure...

We are small but more talented per capita

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 09:36:48 AM »
I agree Contro, we are definitely more talented per capita. Similarly Holland always produces an extremely large amount of talented players per capita yet they have a population of 17 million compared to the UK of 60 million. On a side note the amount of abuse the give on TTFA Facebook page was appalling - calling us monkeys. Worse yet on KJ's twitter it had fellas threatening his life with sub machine guns!! Glad they got knocked out.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
I agree Contro, we are definitely more talented per capita. Similarly Holland always produces an extremely large amount of talented players per capita yet they have a population of 17 million compared to the UK of 60 million. On a side note the amount of abuse the give on TTFA Facebook page was appalling - calling us monkeys. Worse yet on KJ's twitter it had fellas threatening his life with sub machine guns!! Glad they got knocked out.

Holland is like that per capita but it's largely due to the Surinamese, Curaçao, Aruba and st Martin boys that played for them over the last 3 decades or more that added to their depth..

The uneducated Guats speak like their former colonial masters that treated them worse than dirt... The racism is ridiculous considering the history of Central America and its native people..

The Central Americans believe they are more talented but the fact is, in the Caribbean we lack the funding, coaching and discipline... Teams like SVG and other islands could beat most of these teams if they are prepared properly and coached well..

When those fans threaten a players life it's because they are insecure and realize players like KJ and our team have the skill and talent to beat them, so they try to intimidate players with fear...

Fear God... The players should just laugh and send these teams packing.. Jamaica and Haiti should have done a lot better and they were grouped together purposely ...

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 08:51:09 PM »
Our defense had some communication problems  as a few times there was near clashes going for balls i guess the chemistry would get better the more they play together. Marvin had a solid game (except for the 2nd goal). I would still like to see what Ramjitsingh has to offer hopefully Hart gives him a run against USA. KJ and Molino were a bit off their games but we all know what they are capable of. Am anxious to see what our impact player Garcia does against USA ;D Goodluck warriors :beermug:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 09:34:05 PM »
I would still like to see what Ramjitsingh has to offer hopefully Hart gives him a run against USA.

Anybody care to see what Adrian Foncette have to offer?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 03:05:37 AM »
I would still like to see what Ramjitsingh has to offer hopefully Hart gives him a run against USA.

Actually I'm curious to see what he can do.. If he starts before Greg it wouldn't bother me.. But it's between him and Greg for the 3rd spot for the World Cup

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2016, 03:49:31 AM »

Nah palos boy, we hadda recognize d default lack of diversity on d team and dat it  have people who excited about being represented on d field, it eh have nutten wrong with dat. I eh tink any slight was meant to foncette.

Sent from my BLU ADVANCE 4.0 using Tapatalk

I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 06:03:57 AM »

There seems to be a silent statement underlying your question. What is that statement?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:06:19 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 06:14:11 AM »

Actually I'm curious to see what he can do.. If he starts before Greg it wouldn't bother me.. But it's between him and Greg for the 3rd spot for the World Cup

Premature assertion. There is presently no supportable basis to determine that conclusively.

1]; } ?>