March 28, 2024, 12:54:43 PM

Author Topic: Time to train the waggonists  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Time to train the waggonists
« on: September 06, 2016, 10:21:51 AM »
Hi everyone,

I may not have posted in a while, but I am here from time to time keeping abreast of all the news and goings on amongst our internet family.

What struck me about the last match was in the lead up, we got a call from the coach and the players themselves about supporting the team. It was mentioned that the fans just look at the game like a TV and do not involve themselves or motivate the team so I would like the TTFF or any other group to help improve the atmosphere at the game.

I have been around since the strike squad and while the 2006 Warriors made it, the love and vibe that the strike squad had...has never been replicated.

This campaign is nearing completion and yet people don't know whats going on, how many points the team needed, what stage of qualifying we are in and who the players are on the field.

Also in a do or die game with a full stadium...the vibes last friday was DEAD.

It is a combination of factors, but we have to accept that the average TT football attendee has changed.

The "die hards" have tabanca from a previous campaign or have felt aggrieved by an action of Warner, the TTFF, or the team so they are no longer there and watch TV home.
The country is in a recession and with certain games not having Children priced tickets, families are now being excluded.
Then we have those who are football experts and who will watch Champions League, La Liga and BPL...and say me...I not paying no money to watch them fellas.

So what you are left with are casual fans and the waggonists...Our greatest resource and who if guided correctly can create the atmosphere the team desires.

The numbers of women attending games now are greater than previous campaigns and they are coming for the lime or for the selfie to post on instagram. It kinda sad that there are plenty men in this selfie category too and instead of watching the game is phone spinning around and documenting their actions. But anyways to build the vibes in the stadium, this is what can be improved.

1) Sing the anthem. No standing up, no murmuring...sing whatever note that you can produce.

2) Allow more instruments and drums into the stadium. (FIFA rules may have prevented this) but years ago there were multiple riddim sections around the stadium, including tassa. When one took a rest another picked up and so it went. You could give cheaper tickets to individuals of these bands or let corporate TT sponsor them, so you have at least 6-8 of these placed strategically around the stadium.

Also you have to train them to observe and compliment the action on the field. Instead of having a group just beating for beating sake they should know when to up the tempo, a certain drum pattern for a corner, a uptempo riddim when we score, another when we concede etc. Never know coach hart could also use the drums as a signal for certain plays on the field or to get messages to the team. Wishful thinking? strategy?...Organized fan groups in Europe do it.

3) To go with the drums we need chants and you need chain up men! We are Trinis, we follow instructions every carnival and so it could also happen at the game. But you need a leader...so invest in a few youths with personality or some celebrities and have the chants. If you have to give them a loudspeaker (again banned by Fifa in some places) do so. Make up some catchy slogans or lines, put it in the media, put it on facebook and when its game time, get the "jester" to perform and infect the crowd. The chant can then become famous.

4) To go with the chant you need a noise maker...corporate TT usually bmobile or digicel used to give out thundersticks, but before thundersticks we had the greatest noisemaker ever in the form of a rattle.
Cast your minds back to the 2000 campaign and Coca Cola gave everybody in the stadium a empty coke bottle with some one cent pieces in it. The label was branded with the game date and everybody shook those makeshift rattles and made plenty noise. Again the rattle can work we just have to make the noise in unison...Chain up man again to start to the ting.

5) Synchronized movement in the stands. ( Yeah we do the wave..its nice) but there are so many other things we can do. In the era of the strike squad, the area under the clock was reserved for the Army only, as they came out to support their team mates and these Army personnel were some of our first cheerleaders. The were the ones who did the wave, in a small area, but they also did left to right arm movements, synchronized salutes, they stood up and down in a pattern and waved cloth, sticks and other things to create the visual effect for their comrades on the field.

The ideas above are not new but they have been forgotten by many and all it takes is one corporate entity or the ttff to start the initiative. One group of 50-60 youths all dressed alike with noisemakers and chants could start the ting. These things are done by the biggest clubs in the world, it is just they have been repeated over and over the years so that the culture is formed. The waggonists are impressionable, it is time we turn them into a supporting fan.

People have forgotten the slow hand clap for a corner or freekick...(we doing that Iceland Euro Clap long time, that not new), they have forgotten the "T&T we want a goal" and the synchronised clapping that came with it . They have forgotten the jeers when a opposing keeper runs up to kick a goal kick. The chants from Intercol can be brought back again and used for the national team...maybe my age is showing, but once we start back those little things maybe it can motivate the fellas on the field and coach Hart and Kenwyne wouldnt have to beg for support.

See you in the nex hex game

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 10:27:30 AM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Time to train the waggonists
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 10:29:31 AM »
First I want to salute the T&T public for great turn outs in our last three home games. We had more than 80% turn outs in our last three WC qualifying games! The people are coming out to support the team. I agree we have to get better at being vocal and more loud during games, however the crowd turnout is an improvement from just a few years ago. I remember in this same forum in recent past there were many who were complaining about low and dismal crowds to see T&T play at home.

I will adress the rest of your post later
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 10:35:18 AM by Sando prince »

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 11:07:10 AM »
When one has to spend approximately more than 90 minutes to get to the game because of traffic, then another 40 - 50 minutes to simply get into the stadium and get a seat, its quite difficult for some to find the energy to be vocal and exuberant. For this last game, you could not even get a cold alcoholic beverage (unless you wanted to stand in long lines and miss the action on the field) to reinvigorate the spirit. I agree fans must try to be vocal and support the team as opposed to watch the team. The TTFA and stadium event organisers must do a much, much better job in creating an environment conducive to fan enjoyment and participation.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 11:17:09 AM »
We don't have a support culture, at least not enough to fill the majority of the stadium. I've been in other countries where from kick off the entire stadium is in song, word for word and multiple renditions. It's surreal to hear when in full voice. That is a real 12th man.

It is possible to create momentum though, unfortunately it requires organization and effort which is in short supply. The crowd has to be guided for it to work, for example someone has to start the mexican wave and once it starts it goes without any additional requirement, everybody inherently knows what to do.

The chants that Touches outlined above has to be promoted before and during the game. TV, Radio and Social media. Flyers when you enter the stadium for everyone as a reminder and people have to be on the mondo track prompting the chants and timing. Does the FA have that kind of focus or place any importance on drumming up that kind of support? Not from what i have seen. We dont even have a real riddim section of yesteryear that would play for the entire game.

It will take years of a sustained effort to reach a point where everybody walks into a stadium and knows exactly what to say or chant. In club football there are supporter groups that create custom player chants.

At the emirates when they announce the Arsenal starting lineup the fans are the ones that announce the surname of each player, aided by visuals on a monitor. 80% of patrons in the HCS dont even know the full team, but we dont even attempt to build that relationship. Go figure!
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 12:45:41 PM »
Plenty people in Trinidad have an identity crisis or an inferiority complex, so they worship everything foreign instead of believing in themselves.. Nothing is good enough for people home, they are in a constant cycle of discontent..

Band Waggonism has been around for a while and continues to thrive locally.. It's a shame that the average ex pat living abroad has more knowledge and passion for the national team... The majority don't appreciate what they have home...

Touches you are dying breed of die hard, along with people who are like minded like yourself...

However, there is a cure for this scourge in the land... The solution is as follows:

The TTFA needs to empower the SWSC - The Soca Warriors Supporters Club... SW.net will serve as the online presence, the Warriors fan zone with Andre Samuel aka Mr.3000 and crew will work alongside the media Dept of the TTFA under the SWSC umbrella.

By reopening the regions worldwide and packaging the product with the help of local and foreign tourist boards we can create a product to market to the world. Supporters of the club and who were also a part of the online community will be offered first priority in terms of tickets, packages and so forth... This should be done not only locally but internationally.. It should also be mandatory to join sw.net online in order to be a full supporter... This will eliminate the waggonism to a certain extent..

Once we have a solid base established it will funnel/force or curb the waggonism because they won't be offered tickets and once a base is built the majority of that support base will sell out the stadium... We will have ex pats flying in and the SWSC will provide the chants and create the atmosphere needed to be that vital 12th man... You see die hards like us should be given first rights to games, training sessions, qualifiers and World Cup matches... We are the backbone, once you have that exclusive rights, it will draw the masses... The superficial will be drawn like a moth is to a flame...

Locals down home like the exclusive vibe, they will want into the club and the chance to have that exclusive offer and privileges... Trust me, the ttfa lacks innovation, ingenuity, creativity and they don't know how to get the country on board..

Football should be an experience.. Build it and they will come..
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 01:03:25 PM by Controversial »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 01:40:24 PM »
Love dem ideas Contro.

I nominate you to lead de charge.  Start de ting and we will follow.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline benedicts bwoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 02:07:05 PM »
Love dem ideas Contro.

Here,here............I concur!!

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 02:30:46 PM »
Bring in the soca artists, carnival bands, promoters ala Caesars army, scorch, vale, etc etc and create that carnival/fete atmosphere.........it's the ONLY way to mobilize the masses in bizarro world T&T.

Offline Adam Lake

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 03:26:22 PM »
Touches yuh damn right.... Agree 100%

My thing though is It could be done, it's just a matter of will. Trinbagonians know how to support and make noise, we do it for cricket. We just have to find a way to transfer that same passion into our football games...

I must say tho, I joined this forum in early '05 using another handle. One of my expectations in joining, was that this fan club would have been the ones to bring that kinda vibe for games at the HC. I'm yet to see it. I've sat around WN section by the corner flag many times and sorry to say there was no vibe at all, maybe except the one time we had the Rhythm section for the Peru game prior to the guys leaving for Germany, we've never really created a stir...  If we the die hards cyah create the vibes, we really expect the waggonist to? This ting need to start with us. We have to set the example!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 05:28:25 PM »
How about we create a soca warriors fan section (at least for home games), similar to the U.S. Outlaws, where members can buy tickets to sit in a certain area. We can start the chants, wave the big flag, bring the noise etc.
I'm surprised there's nothing in place for the die hard fans with the federation.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 07:04:13 PM »
How bout we start with people right here who does flap they lip about everything 'wrong' bout the team (you never get ah positive) and don't go out and actually support the team when it's just ah PTSC ride away.

Edit. As a founding member of Warrior Nation, I'd be happy to be part of a revival in Southern Ontario.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 09:59:31 PM »
How bout we start with people right here who does flap they lip about everything 'wrong' bout the team (you never get ah positive) and don't go out and actually support the team when it's just ah PTSC ride away.

Edit. As a founding member of Warrior Nation, I'd be happy to be part of a revival in Southern Ontario.

:beermug:

I think we can make a strong unit brother here in Ontario and set the pace for all of Canada..

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 10:02:13 PM »
Love dem ideas Contro.

Here,here............I concur!!

Thanks brothers
Would love to set it off, the question is will the ttfa work with us to achieve these goals..

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 02:44:45 PM »

:beermug:

I think we can make a strong unit brother here in Ontario and set the pace for all of Canada..

In the Jacksonville game a simple thing like not having  a set section I feel lead to the team feeling the whole stadium was yanks when I honestly and truly believe that was not the case. Because USA and trini had the same colors everybody look the same. (Fuentes quote 200 int eh riddim section and I see Trinis all over the stadium). WE here say opposite outlaws. Tallman say 70 trinis on the next side of outlaws and the riddim section end up in a totally different spot on the other side of outlaws. TTFA or the riddim section have to step up in the earlies and let everybody know where the section is and I sure we will draw strength in numbers. These is the little details we can't let slip in the hex. all the media fan zone and dem, this is interview questions for the COACH all kinda ting. this have to get set.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 02:46:27 PM by kounty »

1]; } ?>