March 18, 2024, 10:20:34 PM

Author Topic: Thread for the T&T vs USA Game (8-Jun-2017)  (Read 53031 times)

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for the T&T vs USA Game (8-Jun-2017)
« Reply #390 on: June 12, 2017, 10:39:49 AM »

I must say that that my patience is wearing thin with Hyland.

I echo the same sentiment

Hyland makes mistakes but i not sure if we have any real quality replacement at this time.
excuse me for interjecting but i get the feeling that many of you don't realize the magnificent contributions of khaleem hyland on this team. and so what if he loses the ball now and then most CM do lose possession from time to time that is normal in the game of football, they also make bad passes and foolish tackles that position is not a pretty one.

I have noticed quite often how hyland's detractors miss the positive contribution but highlight the mistakes. .No one talks about the plays that he breaks up the the midfield, his movement off the ball his professional fouls (something we didn't do prior to hyland which lead to a lot of break away goals) his ability to make dangerous attacking passes that lead to quite a few goals in the lead up to the hex.

people seem to forget that we have the least amount of quality of any team in the hex and a player such as hyland may struggle on this team but would probably flourish on a better team alongside better players. Ok he made a blunder that lead to the first goal but no one saw how Cyrus was ball watching instead of picking an unmarked player, maybe if other players were in tuned with the rest of the team they would have done the smart thing and took down nagbe and take a card for the team rather than allowing him to make the cross that lead to the goal.

On the contrary I am an advocate for Hyland, he is our only genuine two way player and leader but he has his deficiencies. If you look at it broader he is more integral to the overall team than any other player in my opinion and in most cases how he plays directly affects our results positive and negative. It's a reason why we are up and down in terms of results.

I am not sure of his club situation at Westerloo as they were relegated and he may be out of contract.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 12, 2017, 12:07:55 PM »
excuse me for interjecting but i get the feeling that many of you don't realize the magnificent contributions of khaleem hyland on this team. and so what if he loses the ball now and then most CM do lose possession from time to time that is normal in the game of football, they also make bad passes and foolish tackles that position is not a pretty one.

I have noticed quite often how hyland's detractors miss the positive contribution but highlight the mistakes. .No one talks about the plays that he breaks up the the midfield, his movement off the ball his professional fouls (something we didn't do prior to hyland which lead to a lot of break away goals) his ability to make dangerous attacking passes that lead to quite a few goals in the lead up to the hex.

people seem to forget that we have the least amount of quality of any team in the hex and a player such as hyland may struggle on this team but would probably flourish on a better team alongside better players. Ok he made a blunder that lead to the first goal but no one saw how Cyrus was ball watching instead of picking an unmarked player, maybe if other players were in tuned with the rest of the team they would have done the smart thing and took down nagbe and take a card for the team rather than allowing him to make the cross that lead to the goal.

Welcome to the real world dude.

MOST PEOPLE hardly get recognition when they do their job.  MOST PEOPLE also tend to feel the spotlight when they make mistakes.

That spotlight is significantly magnified when the individual is in the public eye.

It's life.

I certainly not saying Hyland is a bad player.  He was one of the better players on the day IMO. But his errors played a major part in the USA's first goal. 

Wha yuh expecting we to say....yeah he cause the first goal, but daz small ting.  Allyuh check dem 1 yard square and back passes he make to George, Cyrus and Bateau tho? 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:10:35 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Fensic

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 12, 2017, 03:28:00 PM »
I got a screen grab showing the moment the pass was made. As much as I hate to admit, it wasn't even close. He was offside. Two of them actually.

Still, that play and the one where Kenwyne headed onto the cross-bar should be consistent options in the Warrior's offensive repertoire.

I have seen T&T score off similar plays under Hart. They are devastating because they come off runs from outside the box into open space in the box; they are tough to defend as they are usually the result of very few touches so there is practically no build up and the result are goals out of what looks like nothing.

Even if the defense goes with the man making the run, there's always the possibility of it being a dummy run.

This business of one attacker trying to get around multiple defenders on the ground stopped working when I played football and look how long ago that was. It died when marking space replaced man to man inside the box. Plus, T&T players can be notorious ball watchers when the man with the ball takes on multiple defenders. Yet, when they do try to help is like the man wid de ball does say, "doh worry, I have dis", and keep forcing his way. All a good defender has to do his guide him to a bad angle for a low percentage shot which Trinis seem to always take for some strange reason.

Enjoyed reading this (the entire post).

I haven't reviewed the second half yet, so I'll reserve comment on the offside situation ... but just finished reviewing the first half. It definitely provides a prologue for what happened next.

There's much to what you state. What I would like to read more about is the assertion regarding "marking space versus man to man inside the box" ...

Give us a follow-up?

Regardless of all the advancements, football is still a simple game: Get the ball in their net more often then they get it in ours. As long as your fundamentals are fairly sound and you don't have unforgivable mental lapses that is.

That said, I used the wrong term when I said marking space. I should have said, zone defense.

I think there's no better strategy for defending the penalty box, especially against better prepared opponents. It is best for blunting an opponent's dummy run, or run into open space or a pass into open space for a player to run into. I could be wrong since I am old fashioned that way and see things in football that I wonder who the hell thought that shit was a good idea? Like goalies in short short sleeves and gloves like they is Mutt or Jeff. But I digress.

Given similarities between how basketball players and footballers attack, zone defense, adapted for the nuances of football, works better than man to man, in the penalty box. Assign a defender to an area and give him or her  the front door key to it.

Any reasonably knowledgable goalie hates to see a player in front of him not know if to chase a man all over the penalty box or stay put. Things happen quick in that box so while they in two minds, someone else gets the ball and the goalie becomes target practice.

When I was getting the ball out the back of my net, hearing the steups start and then, ". . .I tort you was pickin him up" and the denial with ". . . Me? Why me?  He not your man? . . .", didn't help.

In my lil coaching I insisted defenders break off from man to man into zone as soon as the other team entered the penalty box. However, field awareness is not easily taught so I'd get hoarse during games.

I say it is still a valid strategy. Guard an area and stop anyone from coming through it without paying a toll of some sort. Let the other team come up with a plan: Unless football has its version of basketball's pick and roll.

Sorry about the confusion with the term I used cause I eh invent nuttin new. I bet the US team employs zone defense.

I might have tuh watch tuh see fuh sure.

Offline Fensic

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 12, 2017, 03:47:23 PM »
I got a screen grab showing the moment the pass was made. As much as I hate to admit, it wasn't even close. He was offside. Two of them actually.

Fensic, you right. But KJ looked more off-side than Lewis. Nathan was very close, like a shoulder. KJ was a again off-side when he whipped a a quick grounder across the goal. Like I posted in a another thread, had the US scored one like that, it would have stood.

Home town advantage rules? (Unless is in Triniland and the referee is from another country in the region maybe? I doh know ;)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 12, 2017, 04:42:51 PM »
The conventional and prevailing wisdom tends not to advocate for zonal exclusively. Recipe for documented disasters.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 13, 2017, 02:27:01 PM »
Lawrence said in a post match interview on Thursday, that his men would be taking a lot of positives from their last match, as he believes his team lost only because of individual errors, rather than tactical problems.

According to Lawrence the tempo of the United States game was also badly affected by the high altitude conditions, for which he took his troops to Denver, Colorado two weeks earlier in an attempt to acclimatise.

Sophisticated way of saying it wasn't his fault

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #396 on: June 17, 2017, 01:10:59 AM »

There is a difference to your points above and the fact that a payment was promised and not delivered.

I agree that we contribute to our problems just as much as any on field opponent

Correct. Whatever is agreed is what it is.

Suggesting a new collective agreement negotiated at the appropriate time.
Many things to consider if you look at it from a business perspective as well where our highs are WC qualification and our lows could be no Gold Cup, knockout of Caribbean Cup and ranked along side Faroe Islands with Curacao ahead of us. All factors on net revenue.
All the labour leaders rallying here now and the cry from many quarters is the Govt and the country has no money so temper expectations or lose everything.

Anyway,
The agreement would be something worked out with the players same as the current. Now if someone said this is what it is....no pay when ranked outside top 50 or no match fees only tournament prize sharing then who don't want to play don't have to. If you in a situation where we looking to rebuild because we out every major tournament it would cause real noise but could fly from a PR perspective if the fee money is redirected to other areas directly related to player compensation like health/insurance.

It would help to know what is the Industry Norm for the countries we are ranked with now. I really don't know but if we currently not able to meet expectations for small fees and it affecting performance relook what in place and make hard decisions....with the players ideally though they have no union so is only the current group having a say.

This could be a separate thread....or could go in a bacchanal section  ;D

Hopefully everything sorted and we focused for a late rally in this tournament so at least the fans have some wins to cheer about.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 01:13:07 AM by dcs »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 20, 2017, 07:23:03 AM »
I know DJW and I can assure you the players will get paid, there should be no insecurities from the T&T players.

Their pay might be late sometimes, but its inevitable.

Why inevitable?

Well, its certain to happen, they will get their money, I'm 100% sure.

The players get dey inevitable pay yet bruh?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

1]; } ?>