March 28, 2024, 02:42:18 AM

Author Topic: Thread for the T&T vs USA Game (10-Oct-2017)  (Read 36720 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Thread for the T&T vs USA Game (10-Oct-2017)
« on: September 07, 2016, 05:54:44 AM »
As usual, any updates/scores, shout-outs, reports, predictions, views, etc, on the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying T&T vs USA game in T&T on the 10th of October 2017 will be posted here, this way, we can maintain the message board and not make it look too scrappy with un-necessary or related headlines and postings on game day.

For the internet users, you can follow the game at:

To be updated.

Possible Online Streams.

To be updated.

Possible TV Station.

To be updated.

Trinidad & Tobago Squad

Goalkeepers:

Adrian Foncette (Police FC), Gregory Ranjitsingh (Louisville City FC/USA) and Glenroy Samuel (Morvant Caledonia United);

Defenders:

Daneil Cyrus (Juticalpa FC/Honduras), Kevan George (Jacksonville Armada FC/USA), Curtis Gonzales (Defence Force FC), Triston Hodge (W Connection), Alvin Jones (W Connection), Kevon Villaroel (North East Stars), Josiah Trimmingham (Club Sando);

Midfielders:

Neil Benjamin Jr. (W Connection), Levi Garcia (AZ Alkmaar/Holland), Khaleem Hyland (Al-Faisaly Harmah/Saudi Arabia), Joevin Jones (Seattle Sounders/USA), Jared London (Club Sando), Duane Muckette (North East Stars), Nathan Lewis (San Juan Jabloteh), Leston Paul (Pasaquina FC/El Salvador), Kathon St. Hillaire (St. Ann's Rangers);

Forwards:

Trevin Caesar (Sacramento Republic FC/USA), Akeem Roach (CD Vida/Honduras), Shahdon Winchester (Murcielagos FC/Mexico).

Coach - Dennis Lawrence.

USA Squad

Goalkeepers

Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake).

Defenders

DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/ENG), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca/MEX), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana/MEX), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG), Jorge Villafańa (Santos Laguna/MEX), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City).

Midfielders

Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Paul Arriola (D.C. United), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy).

Forwards

Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (Hamburg/GER).

Coach - Bruce Arena.

Updates to follow as we get more info, so keep checking back.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 05:29:51 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
USA to face Trinidad and Tobago at Ato Boldon Stadium on October 10th
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 05:35:41 PM »
ussoccer.com

The U.S. Men’s National Team will visit Trinidad & Tobago on the last day of the Final Round of 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying, but it’ll do so in an unfamiliar venue.

The Trinidad & Tobago Football Association has decided the clash on Oct. 10 will take place at the smaller Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva instead of the more familiar confines of Hasely Crawford Stadium in the capital, Port of Spain. Kickoff for the match is set for 8 p.m. ET (beIN Sports, UNIVERSO).

Constructed for the 2001 FIFA U-17 World Cup that was held in the dual-island nation, the ground is named after the Trinidadian world champion sprinter and has a capacity of just 10,000 – much smaller than Hasely Crawford, which is capable of holding 23,000.

Located about 45 minutes south of Port of Spain, the ground has recently served as a second home for the Soca Warriors, with the team hosting Gold Cup qualifying matches there since 2014. T&T has dropped three of four games its played at Ato Boldon in 2017, most recently on Sept. 1 when they fell 2-1 to Honduras in the previous home qualifier.

This isn’t the first time the MNT has played Trinidad & Tobago away from Hasely Crawford. In 2005, the U.S. opened the Final Round of qualifying for the 2006 World Cup against the Soca Warriors at Queens Park Oval, the home venue for the nation’s cricket team.

Held against the backdrop of the second largest Carnival festival outside of Rio, Eddie Johnson and Eddie Lewis found the back of the net as the U.S. ran out 2-1 winners on a scorching afternoon in Port of Spain.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for the T&T vs USA Game (10-Oct-2017)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 05:52:35 AM »
ussoccer.com

Well we done firetrucked we own campaign so what the hell.....not like anybody going to the game whether in HSC, Dwight Yorke, Larry Gomes, Mannie Rmajohn or Ato Boldon Stadium......*sigh*   :banginghead: :frustrated: :'(
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 01:56:51 AM »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 03:47:22 PM »
Anyone knows when is the next ttfa elections? Maybe I might take a stab at it, who knows, after all by the looks of it even a dimwitted goat could do a better job than this present federation president.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 04:12:40 PM »
Anyone knows when is the next ttfa elections? Maybe I might take a stab at it, who knows, after all by the looks of it even a dimwitted goat could do a better job than this present federation president.
I think it's in 2 years but it will be good if we can get a team of representatives from here.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 06:14:41 PM »
Allyuh think DJW will pay people to attend that game?

How dey goin and sell it?

Come support the Warriors as they prepare against USA on the road to World Cup 2022.  Come see Latapy, Lawrence, and Stern John as they battle against the USA!!!
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 02:24:33 AM »
I see that Curtis Gonzales has been named to the squad. Ok, then.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 08:04:02 AM »
wha is the 5 th number of tonight's lotto ?   ???

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 04:05:00 PM »
Hillaire, Trimmingham among 23-man T&T roster for Mexico and USA qualifiers.
ttproleague.com

Dutch-based winger Levi Garcia has returned to the Trinidad and Tobago national team set up, selected among a 23-man roster by head coach Dennis Lawrence for closing 2018 World Cup Qualifiers against Mexico and the United States on October 6 and 10 respectively.

Lawrence has also included newcomers in former T&T Under-20 players Kathon St. Hillaire, a 19-year-old rising talent at MIC-IT St. Ann's Rangers and Josiah Trimmingham, a powerfully-built 20-year-old centre back who recently moved from San Juan Jabloteh to Club Sando in the August transfer window.

Meanwhile Finland-based Aubrey David and striker Jamille Boatswain, who is attached to Costa Rica's LD Alajuelense, have been dropped for the upcoming WCQs.

David and Boatswain “were suspended for the upcoming matches after violating team policy during the build-up to the last WCQ versus Honduras” stated a press release from the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA).

It is reported that David and Boatswain participated in a minor league match before Trinidad and Tobago’s crucial WCQ against Honduras.

Both players started in T&T's 2-1 loss against Honduras on Sep. 1 in Couva but were unused substitutes in a 3-0 loss in Panama four days later which completely ended the Soca Warriors' World Cup 2018 hopes.

T&T are bottom of the Concacaf Hex with just three points. Mexico (18 points), already qualified for Russia 2018, leads the group followed by, in descending order, Costa Rica (15 points), Panama (10 points) and United States and Honduras (9 points).

The TTFA said that David and Boatswain have since apologised and volunteered to donate their match fees to a charity of their choice.

“I really want to apologise to the nation and the people I disappointed with my actions," David is quoted by the press release. “(...) and I know every action has a reaction and I have accepted the decision of the TTFA.

“I want to put this behind me and look forward to representing Trinidad and Tobago again,” concluded the PS Kemi defender.

T&T meanwhile, must travel to the city of San Luis Potosi in Mexico to take on the hosts at the Estadio Alfonso Lastras (from 9:30pm TT time) on Oct 6 before returning home to welcome USA at the Ato Boldon Stadium four days later from 8pm due to lighting problems at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Garcia, who opted out of the last two WCQs in order to fully recover from injury, said, "I am fit and ready to go for Trinidad and Tobago. I spoke to the coach and was happy to be included as I always welcome the opportunity to play for my country."

The AZ Alkmaar forward added, "I must admit it’s disappointing that we will not be going to the World Cup but we have to lift our heads and look to the future, plus we have to make a statement by playing good football in the two final games and get six points."

Trinidad and Tobago 23-Man Squad

Goalkeepers:

Adrian Foncette (Police FC), Gregory Ranjitsingh (Louisville City FC/USA) and Glenroy Samuel (Morvant Caledonia United);

Defenders:

Daneil Cyrus (Juticalpa FC/Honduras), Kevan George (Jacksonville Armada FC/USA), Curtis Gonzales (Defence Force FC), Triston Hodge (W Connection), Alvin Jones (W Connection), Mekeil Williams (Colorado Rapids/USA), Kevon Villaroel (North East Stars), Josiah Trimmingham (Club Sando);

Midfielders:

Neil Benjamin Jr. (W Connection), Levi Garcia (AZ Alkmaar/Holland), Khaleem Hyland (Al-Faisaly Harmah/Saudi Arabia), Joevin Jones (Seattle Sounders/USA), Jared London (Club Sando), Kevin Molino (Minnesota United/USA), Nathan Lewis (San Juan Jabloteh), Leston Paul (Pasaquina FC/El Salvador), Kathon St. Hillaire (St. Ann's Rangers);

Forwards:

Trevin Caesar (Sacramento Republic FC/USA), Akeem Roach (CD Vida/Honduras), Shahdon Winchester (Murcielagos FC/Mexico).

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 01:53:33 AM »

On what merit does he retain his place? To make amends?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 05:46:04 AM »
Hlyand have shares in de TTFA allyuh?

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 12:01:11 PM »

On what merit does he retain his place? To make amends?
Nah, I was referring to how you call that pick as if you on the selection committee, before officially announced.
To your questions. I have no idea what Lawrence selection criteria is. Sometimes he says one thing and something/somebody comes along and change his mind, and he sings another tune. I'm sure he means well, concerned about his lack of TT psychological experience. He may be better at development, I guess we will have to wait and see. If he's not, then 2026 still in our future..we done hang we jack, hopefully we get away with reneging from Trump, kick ah six, padna get a point for High and low, and come out ahead..notice we still have to try and pull a fast one.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trinidad and Tobago vs United States match to aid relief efforts
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 12:33:52 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago vs United States match to aid relief efforts
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) has partnered with the Lions Club of Trinidad and Tobago in order to assist with the relief drive for Caribbean countries affected by Hurricanes Irma and Maria.

In a media conference at the National Cycling Centre, Couva yesterday, TTFA media consultant Wayne Cunningham said, “The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association came up with an idea to help in the relief efforts throughout the Caribbean and especially try and help our member associations in Dominica, St Martin and Antigua/Barbuda.”

Cunningham disclosed that the forthcoming 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier against the United States, which will be scheduled for October 10 at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva, will also be used as a fund-raising drive for the relief efforts. The TTFA will have a four-tiered ticket system, with hurricane relief tickets for $100 (uncovered stands) and $200 (covered stands); as well as regular tickets worth $150 (uncovered ) and $250 (covered).

“With the hurricane relief tickets, you’ll need to bring four items from the ODPM (Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management) list to contribute to the relief efforts.”

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 02:31:42 PM »
It would be apt if this match were sponsored by Senna Pods

Fuh relief nah
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 02:43:53 PM »
@maxg, I read the article before it was posted here.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 12:17:45 PM »
@maxg, I read the article before it was posted here.
in the selectors room ?  nice! :devil: ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 07:42:57 AM »
U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; WCQ Caps/Goals):
GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 15/0), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids; 37/0), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (9): DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo; 35/6), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City; 12/1), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/ENG; 24/2), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca/MEX; 16/0), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana/MEX; 6/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 6/0), Jorge Villafańa (Santos Laguna/MEX; 4/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; (8/0), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City; 20/3)

MIDFIELDERS (10): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; 5/0), Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution; 0/0), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 5/1), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union; 9/0), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 38/7), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City; 6/0), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers; 9/0), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 11/5), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy; 4/1)

FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 39/16), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC; 41/18), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes; 0/0), Bobby Wood (Hamburg/GER; 12/4)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 08:11:09 PM »

In a media conference at the National Cycling Centre, Couva yesterday, TTFA media consultant Wayne Cunningham said, “The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association came up with an idea to help in the relief efforts throughout the Caribbean and especially try and help our member associations in Dominica, St Martin and Antigua/Barbuda.”

uuuuuuummmmm whey Fuentes??
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 08:20:40 PM »

Fuentes on personal leave for 45 days.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 06:38:39 AM »

Ah know Cunningham wears ah EFA hat. What's his role with CFU? Seems to be a tempered, mild-mannered fella.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 06:45:24 AM »

Or hor....ok cool....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 08:12:32 PM »
Hlyand have shares in de TTFA allyuh?

Hahahahahahahahaha............. ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 04:56:46 AM »
28 Years Later, The U.S. Is In A Familiar Position Needing A Result At Trinidad And Tobago To Reach The World Cup.
By Travis Yoesting (the18.com).

In 1989, the U.S. ended a 40-year drought and qualified for the 1990 World Cup with a victory at Trinidad and Tobago. Will history repeat itself this year?

The United States has qualified for every World Cup since 1990. Only once in that span did the Americans need a result on the final day of qualifying. That came in 1989 when the U.S. traveled to Trinidad and Tobago needing nothing less than a win to procure a trip to the 1990 World Cup. The USMNT again travels to Trinidad and Tobago on Oct. 10 needing a result to extend its streak to eight straight World Cup appearances.

The team that qualified in 1989 looked nothing like today’s modern USMNT. Before the 1994 team hosted the World Cup in front of record crowds, before the run to the 2002 World Cup quarterfinals, before winning a World Cup group with England in 2010, there was the ragtag 1989 team of college players and struggling semi-pros. Before Eric Wynalda, before Landon Donovan, before Christian Pulisic, there was Paul Caligiuri.

The modern growth of soccer in the United States dates back to the trip the USMNT made to Trinidad and Tobago on Nov. 19, 1989, the final day of qualifying for the 1990 World Cup. One match set the U.S. on its path to becoming a regional soccer powerhouse. One match could have set the nation back decades. It was the soccer version of the shot heard ’round the world.

Unknown Hero

Paul Caligiuri was an unlikely hero for a country that didn’t know he existed. Heading into the 1990 World Cup, the U.S. hadn’t qualified for the world’s biggest event since 1950, but the USMNT was finally getting close. The explosion of popularity — and the eventual demise — of the NASL spoke to the promise of soccer in a country crazy about baseball, American football and basketball. The U.S. would host the World Cup in 1994, but there were rumors the country would lose the tournament if they couldn’t qualify for the 1990 edition. (Funny that doesn’t seem to be an issue for Qatar now.)

With Mexico banned from the 1990 World Cup for using an overage player in a youth tournament, this was the United States’ best chance to qualify in decades. Costa Rica was already in, but Trinidad and Tobago and the U.S. were fighting for the final berth. Tied with Trinidad and Tobago on nine points but trailing on goal differential with one match to play, the task at hand was simple: Win and you’re in. A draw or loss would send Trinidad to its first ever World Cup.

The team had few members playing legit professional soccer; none would ever be recognized on the streets in the U.S. Most were still in college or making a small amount of money from contracts with U.S. Soccer Federation. The Americans flew to the Caribbean nation on a plane named Destiny and destiny was there for the taking.

The match was played in front of an overflowing crowd at Trinidad and Tobago’s National Stadium, a jubilant throng hopeful of becoming the smallest country to ever qualify for the planet’s biggest tournament. Thousands met the U.S. team at the airport and a party raged through the night before the match outside the team hotel in classic CONCACAF fashion. The country essentially declared the match day a national holiday in anticipation of victory at home, where they were undefeated in the qualifying round.

It Went Up, Then It Came Down

Caligiuri wasn’t yet a regular starter. He wasn’t even a central midfielder, more often deployed as a defender. But on Nov. 19, 1989, coach Bob Gansler placed Caligiuri in central midfield for the first and only time among his 110 national-team caps.

The Californian was given one job and one job alone: prevent playmaker Russell Latapy from feeding striker Dwight Yorke. While York wasn’t yet the star he would become — he scored 189 goals in England, including 65 for Manchester United — there was a clear need to prevent service to the most dangerous player on the pitch.

For most of the match, Caligiuri did his job well. Except for one moment when he defied his coach’s demands and went forward. In the 30th minute, Tab Ramos hit a bouncing ball to Caligiuri with defender Kerry Jamerson running out to meet him. Instead of playing a safe pass backward and returning to his defensive position, Caligiuri did the unimaginable.

First, the defensive-minded player used his stomach/groin to propel the ball not backward but forward. He took a slight pause, enough time for both him and Jamerson to ponder what would come next. Caligiuri, who up to that point looked to be going in slow motion, then flicked the ball with his right foot past Jamerson and warped past the defender. With the ball still bouncing on the less-than-stellar surface, Caligiuri cocked back his left leg and swung it at the ball for a powerful volley from 30 yards out.

The ball went up and up, well above the crossbar. Then, dramatically, it swooped down and down. Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper Michael Maurice made a desperate lunge, but it was in vain. Caligiuri’s shot found the bottom right corner and the back of the net. The U.S. led 1-0. The stadium fell silent, outside of a handful of Americans who were probably related to the players. The World Cup was within reach.

Launch Pad

Of course, there were still 60 minutes of football to be played that day. Caligiuri returned to his defensive duties. Tony Meola, sporting a baseball cap in the second half to shield his eyes from the sun and our eyes from his mullet, made several sprawling saves to deny Yorke and the Trinidadians.

Announcer JP Dellacamera, who back then still called himself John Paul and whose voice was not yet one of the most recognizable in American soccer, called the match but few people in America watched on TV or even knew the game was taking place. His voice grew more and more frantic as the match went on and the U.S. inched closer to Italy.

Ultimately the United States held on to win 1-0. Caligiuri’s strike sent the U.S. to the World Cup for the first time in four decades. The team has qualified for every World Cup since, albeit as host in 1994. With seven straight World Cups, the U.S. has one of longest active streaks in the world, more than England, Mexico and the Netherlands. Major League Soccer debuted in 1996 and has steadily grown into one of the most successful leagues in the world. The U.S. has won six Gold Cups (only Mexico has more with seven).

All because of Caligiuri’s goal (and the performance of the rest of the team). As Sports Illustrated once put it: “His goal was nothing less than the launch pad for U.S. Soccer’s modern era, 25 years of growth that was hardly inevitable.”

SI ranked it the most significant goal in U.S. soccer history, ahead of Landon Donovan’s last-minute winner against Algeria in the 2010 World Cup and Joe Gaetjens’ winner in the 1950 World Cup to beat England — even ahead of Brandi Chastain’s 1999 penalty kick against China to win the World Cup.

Past To Present

The U.S. went on to lose all three matches in the 1990 World Cup in Italy. Caligiuri scored again (one of his five national-team goals) in a 5-1 loss to Czechoslovakia with Eric Wynalda being sent off before the Americans redeemed some respect with a 1-0 loss to Italy in Rome that they nearly equalized late. The tournament ended with a 2-1 defeat to Austria, the only two goals Austria scored in Italy.

Nonetheless, the Americans reached the World Cup, a huge learning point for a roster featuring a number of future stars of the game in the States, including Tony Meola, John Harkes, Tab Ramos, Marcelo Balboa and Kasey Keller. They played for teams like the Albany Capitals, San Francisco Bay Blackhawks, San Diego Sockers and UCLA Bruins back then, the best clubs available for the top American soccer players at the time.

Since then, Americans have played for some of the best clubs in the world, from Manchester United and AC Milan to Borussia Dortmund and Arsenal. The U.S. now expects to be at every World Cup and they don’t rely on a bunch of kids with little experience to qualify.

Only now, a bunch of seasoned professionals go into this weekend with their World Cup lives at their feet. No matter how the U.S. performs against Panama on Friday at home, the trip to Trinidad and Tobago will require a result for the Americans to book a trip to Russia. That trip may take a detour if the U.S. finishes fourth in the Hex and must play an intercontinental playoff against Syria or Australia.

For their part, Trinidad and Tobago still has an outside shot of finishing fourth in qualifying, though the country must win its final two matches and hope for a lot of help.

But as the Americans travel to Couva to play in the 10,000-seat Ato Boldon Stadium on Oct. 10, they can look back to history and know they’ve qualified for the World Cup in Trinidad and Tobago once before.

28 years later, the U.S. is in a familiar position needing a result at Trinidad and Tobago to reach the World Cup

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 08:39:05 AM by Flex »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 09:11:09 AM »
a party raged through the night OUTSIDE THE TEAM HOTEL in classic CONCACAF fashion.

now that there is a big fat lie if I ever heard one. We might be a lot of things in Trinidad and Tobago but we are never that grimey a host like those central americans to camp outside a team's hotel especially back then. this is all sensationalism on the part of this journalist who obviously knows nothing of what he speaks and probably didn't have contact with anyone who were apparently there in 1989. these Yankees flaw me with their rubbish antics and sensationalism.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 09:17:51 AM by pull stones »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The five foes who could crush the USMNT's World Cup hopes
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 07:54:26 PM »
The five foes who could crush the USMNT's World Cup hopes
By Scott French (fourfourtwo.com)

Kevin Molino, Trinidad and Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago's attack is governed by the Minnesota United playmaker, a thrillingly skilled and versatile player capable of winning games on his own. That's not news to Bruce Arena or his charges, who have seen Molino dominate on the right flank for Orlando City, for which he scored 11 goals with eight assists last year, and run the Loons' improving offense in its inaugural campaign. Minnesota United coach Adrian Heath, who spent nearly six full seasons with Molino in Orlando, considers him the best attacking midfielder in MLS. That's enormous praise, considering the competition.

Molino is just as vital for T&T, which has struggled to contend during the hex and have tallied just twice in its last five qualifiers, all of them losses. Molino scores plenty for a No. 10 -- he has 18 goals in 41 international games, 10th on the all-time Soca Warriors list and just one behind Dwight Yorke's total -- but there's only so much up top, and much of his creative work goes for naught. Should he take things into his own hands, he can cause problems. If anyone in either of these games can beat the U.S. on his own, it's probably Molino.

JOEVIN JONES, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
The U.S. knows well what it's facing in the Seattle Sounders' left-sider, whose productive three-year stretch in MLS closes this season with a move to Bundesliga 2 side SV Darmstadt slated for January. He played a sizable role as the Sounders marched to last year's MLS Cup title and emerged this season among the league's finest left backs. He's matured greatly defensively while evolving into a game-changer from the left flank.

He has 11 assists this season, the most in MLS by a non-attacking midfielder, and might be better suited for his role on the left side of midfield with Trinidad and Tobago. He has all the requisite tools and a knack for delivering the right ball at the right pace at the right time. He leads the Soca Warriors with five (of their 17) qualifying goals, and although the attack hasn't achieved much since the Hexagonal began, if he gets free -- more so if in tandem with Molino or Kenwyne Jones -- T&T can be deadly.

READ MORE...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 11:09:20 AM »
TT is the fall guy ....

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 06:01:28 AM »
Carlos believes T&T can dent USA.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

A veteran of 97 international appearances, Carlos Edwards is not yet a retired Trinidad and Tobago player. The former Sunderland and Wrexham winger would still fancy the opportunity to reach the 100 game milestone for the Red,White and Black.

While the campaign is done and dusted with T&T’s qualifying hopes already ended, Edwards, at age 38, believes the Dennis Lawrence-coached outfit can finish the the journey on a high and defy the odds by pulling off a win over the United States on Tuesday at the Ato Boldon Stadium.

Edwards has tasted a win over US in a competitive World Cup qualifier at home, setting up Russell Latapy’s go ahead goal in the T&T’s 2-1 win in the semi-final round of 2010 World Cup qualifying at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

“Firstly, I am still available to play for the national team and I felt like I was missing out on the whole experience of being part of the team after being overlooked for these last four games but that is football and the coach knows what he would be looking for and I have the decision and support the team no matter what.

“But getting to 100 games is definitely something I would love to accomplish and so it will be part of my aim for the rest of the year and next year once I am fit and able to play,” Edwards said.

“On the topic of the game against the US, I think it is a wonderful opportunity for the team to finish on a high and dent the pride of America a bit. They will be coming here with all guns blazing. but I think we are capable of holding our own.

“I know what it is like to win a qualifier against the US and it will do the players a world of good to get a good result against the Americans under their belt,” Edwards said.

Arena anticipates no protests from US players

The US Soccer Federation confirmed this month that the policy it passed in February requiring players to stand during the national anthem remains in place, as social injustice protests became more widespread in the NFL and other sports last following critical comments from US President Donald Trump.

And US head coach Bruce Arena says he does not expect it to be an issue among his players when they face T&T on Tuesday at the Ato Boldon Stadium nor the previous qualifier against Panama yesterday.

“If we need to discuss it, we’ll discuss it,” he said. “But I don’t think that’s an issue we’re going to deal with. We’ve got enough to deal with besides kneeling and stuff.”

Arena said that up to Friday, he had not yet thought about a plan for the T&T match.

“I will be honest with you—I haven’t spent one second in preparation for the second game,” Arena said. “All of the focus has been on Panama. I cannot tell you one thing we would do in our second game in this swing.”

Mexican FF sells scarves to raise funds for quake victims

At last night’s World Cup qualifier against Trinidad and Tobago, the Mexican Football Federation sold green scarves with “Fuerza Mexico” on them for $2.70 (U.S.) outside Estadio Alfonso Lastras, with all proceeds going towards the earthquake relief fund. Fans inside the 25,000-capacity stadium would be encouraged to lift the scarves up during the playing of the Mexican national anthem.

And with the Mexican team mostly playing its World Cup qualifiers in Mexico City, it was massive attraction for the people of San Luis to have their national heroes play in that city.

Meanwhile on Tuesday, around 200 fans paid US$162 to attend the Mexico national team training session in Mexico City, with those who bought the tickets able to mingle and take photographs with the players while the funds went towards the relief fund.

“Local fans are encouraged to walk with canned items at Tuesday’s game in Couva to contribute to the Caribbean hurricane relief fund.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2017, 09:49:02 AM »
TT is the fall guy ....
absolute rubbish.

1]; } ?>