March 28, 2024, 05:33:45 PM

Author Topic: still no luck after 26 years?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
still no luck after 26 years?
« on: September 07, 2016, 09:10:02 AM »
pardon the intrusion moderators my first thread here simply because there must be some sobering dialogue on what took place last night. maybe you can merge later.

my version of events lead me to beg the question, after 26 years why have we not figured out a way to hold these basic yankees on their home turf and render them ineffective like jamaica has done on so many occasions?

last night's game was no mystery, it was like watching a game from the 90s where they played the long ball down the flanks crossed into the box on the ground and boom goal, landon donovan and coby jones have mastered this tactic for years while waiting on the edge of our 6 yard box were mc bride and eddie johnson for the easy tap in, and it worked every time.

we had a terrific first half of play which should have seen us take the lead with the many looks on goal at our disposal, but for some strange reason unknown to us jovin jones and levi garcia seemed shelled shocked, as for kenwin jones who has now become our albatross, he spend the whole night trying to get the ball unstock from up under him.

as the years progressed i can't help but notice how cumbersome jones has become with the ball at his feet, normally with time players get the hang of their first touch and progress to be more smooth dynamic players, but this bloke somehow has not been able to come to terms with his passing and dribbling and we saw this against guatemala and the united states which cost us to lose out on quite a few opportunities on goal.

another mystery which is quite difficult for me to come to terms with for the life of me, is why have we not been able to use our flanks effectively by putting in cross after cross in their penalty box especially when we have the best header of the ball in concacaf? in every game we have consistently failed to use this weapon to our advantage which could clearly open up a game for us.

another thing we have failed to do consistently over the years is to organize our defense like panama and costa rica has done. last night the united states had done nothing out of the ordinary, they played deep into their half to neutralize our speedsters like jovin, garcia and molino, while we allowed our defenders to lose their shape and become discombobulated.

they used the flanks over and over again especially on the attacking left, while leaving two defenders on the 18 yard line at all times and kept their defensive shape throughout, and the only thing that would have disrupted that was an early goal.

we actually played this game like we were up by a couple of goals and was cruising along by trying to maintain possession, we didn't press them in their 18 yrd box nor used our flanks effectively, while they had two players constantly guarding their flanks on defense which constricted us to lumping the long ball into the box which cannot work especially when there was two defenders glued to jones at all times.

in closing the best player on the field last night was hyland by my observation, and i know folks like controversial would disagree simply because he watches the game from a spectators point of view and misses the subtilties of professional football only privy to the keen eye, but hyland broke up so many plays emanating from the midfield that left them frustrated, and without him we would have been in serious trouble, molino also broke a sweat but could not connect with jones who was clearly not himself last night.

i don't believe the united states is anything special, actually they are as basic as you can get get if you ask me, but their saving grace over the years seems to be that they understand the game thoroughly, they are extremely disciplined, (something we desperately needs to learn) and only plays to their strengths. what are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:25:42 AM by pull stones »

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: still no luck after 26 years?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 10:19:50 AM »
School boys beat us yesterday.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 10:36:17 AM »
School boys beat us yesterday.
yes but that school boy is worth more than what our whole team's annual earnings combined. and those school boys understand the game and play to their strength way better than we can ever imagine.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 11:27:44 AM by pull stones »

Offline Trini boi

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 11:12:11 AM »
Ppl keep blaming hyland but he played a great defensive game yesterday.. I also think Joevin should move to center mid..the only one that kept consistent possession all game.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 12:19:04 PM »
Ppl keep blaming hyland but he played a great defensive game yesterday.. I also think Joevin should move to center mid..the only one that kept consistent possession all game.

Hyland should never start in any game, he can't pass, it's as simple as that, a defensive mid that can't pass nor transition the play as a link from the back should not start, I've been saying this for the last two years

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 12:23:57 PM »

my version of events lead me to beg the question, after 26 years why have we not figured out a way to hold these basic yankees on their home turf and render them ineffective like jamaica has done on so many occasions?

Same jamaicans would gladly trade places with us right now.

I rather this happen now than in the Hex.

Was it a thoroughly disappointing performance?  Absolutely.

Did we get knocked out of the Hex as a result?  Absolutely not.

And I eh know bout this alleged "terrific first half" that people referring to.  We had 1 chance in the first 45 minutes when Molino shot wide.  In the meantime.....Marvin Phillip and the defence were under consistent pressure and they hit the post 3 times. 

I find we played OK in the first half.....FAR from terrific.

So get over it. 

I rather lose the battle and win the war.  With performances like these....we not going to win anything.  But we know we capable of MUCH better.

Let's see what happens in the Hex.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 12:26:27 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 03:08:45 PM »

Hyland should never start in any game, he can't pass, it's as simple as that, a defensive mid that can't pass nor transition the play as a link from the back should not start, I've been saying this for the last two years
rubbish. i guess you were not present when we played SVG. he provided the assist on three goals, now if that's not good passing then i am lost for words. in any case hyland does all the dirty work that make us stay in game including winning back errant passes made by more capable players.

you of all people certainly have an axe to grind with hyland, maybe hyland looks like a bloke who stole your slag. i don't get your gripes with the lad because he's class in my book.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 03:10:16 PM »

Same jamaicans would gladly trade places with us right now.

I rather this happen now than in the Hex.

Was it a thoroughly disappointing performance?  Absolutely.

Did we get knocked out of the Hex as a result?  Absolutely not.

And I eh know bout this alleged "terrific first half" that people referring to.  We had 1 chance in the first 45 minutes when Molino shot wide.  In the meantime.....Marvin Phillip and the defence were under consistent pressure and they hit the post 3 times. 

I find we played OK in the first half.....FAR from terrific.

So get over it. 

I rather lose the battle and win the war.  With performances like these....we not going to win anything.  But we know we capable of MUCH better.

Let's see what happens in the Hex.
it's my opinion that both jamaica and haiti would have made it out of this group comfortably, and had we been in their group then god help us.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 10:51:45 PM »

rubbish. i guess you were not present when we played SVG. he provided the assist on three goals, now if that's not good passing then i am lost for words. in any case hyland does all the dirty work that make us stay in game including winning back errant passes made by more capable players.

you of all people certainly have an axe to grind with hyland, maybe hyland looks like a bloke who stole your slag. i don't get your gripes with the lad because he's class in my book.

Same SVG who catch 8 and 6 in their last few games? Every time I talk about Hyland man does jump up and bawl the SVG game  :rotfl:

1]; } ?>