March 28, 2024, 03:01:49 PM

Author Topic: Marcus Joseph Thread  (Read 10795 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Marcus Joseph Thread
« on: November 05, 2016, 01:47:45 AM »
Marcus Joseph, what's so special?

He's getting another run, I've only seen this man a few times and I haven't seen what is special about him.

Can someone give me a breakdown of this man and what he can do.. Harty mentioned the talent is there but what exactly is that talent?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:19:23 PM by Flex »

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Marcus Joseph, what's so special?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 06:38:46 AM »
He's getting another run, I've only seen this man a few times and I haven't seen what is special about him.

Can someone give me a breakdown of this man and what he can do.. Harty mentioned the talent is there but what exactly is that talent?

"And, just as Police were coming to grips with having to share the points, they were left with nothing. Seconds after his goal, Jones won a free kick on the edge of the box and Marcus Joseph blasted the resulting free kick beyond the wall and straight at Foncette.

You don’t hold Joseph’s thunderbolts from that sort of range and Foncette’s block only teed up Central captain Darren Mitchell, who gleefully accepted the rebound."

http://wired868.com/2016/11/05/underdogs-get-a-kicking-kenwyne-helps-central-fc-mug-police-connection-rout-rangers/

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: Marcus Joseph, what's so special?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 07:32:27 AM »
There is always something dynamic about a left footed attacking midfielder.

Just think about our own talent pool current and previous.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Marcus Joseph Thread
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 03:20:33 PM »
Connection star acquisition Marcus Joseph eyes Pro League title, Golden Boot and Soca Warriors return.
ttproleague.com.

Trinidad and Tobago forward Marcus Joseph wants to keep his new club W Connection on the upward trajectory towards becoming Pro League champions in 2017—which means dethroning his former employers and three-time holders, Central FC.

“It’s pretty good so far [at Connection],” said the 26-year-old Point Fortin-born Joseph. “I’ve learned so much more under (Connection) coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier and it has opened up my mind a lot more to the game. He is very [patient] in teaching the game so you can understand it a lot more.”

Joseph, who split with serial champions Central earlier this year, joined Connection in pre-season after a lengthy absence from the game due to a fallout with the Couva Sharks.

But it didn’t take long under the guidance of the Connection coaching staff for the 2013/14 Golden Boot winner to shake off the rust. With arguably one the deadliest left foot in the PL, Joseph scored the winning items in Connection’s opening wins against St. Ann’s Rangers (1-0) and Point Fortin Civic (2-1).

The former Civic and Central star most recently scored his team’s second goal in a top-of-the-table 2-2 draw against second-placed North East Stars as Connection maintained their place at the Pro League summit, albeit only goal-difference.

“The ambition is to help Connection win the League,” said Joseph, who scored three times in six appearances for his new club.

“I want to do all that I can for the team. I want to also win most goals this season but the ambition of the team comes first. So if I think a teammate is in a better position to score I will offer the chance to that person like I did in the games I haven’t scored this season.

“It may not always be the best decision, but I am working on improving my decision making up front as well as my scoring. We are all working on improving as a team at Connection and with a little more gelling and improvement on our finishing in front of goal, I think we can go on to win the league.”

Connection (4W-1D-1L; 13 points) must next face Defence Force from 4pm on Saturday July 28 at the Ato Boldon Stadium when the Pro League resumes this coming weekend following a break that facilitated Trinidad and Tobago’s Men’s National Team preparations for today’s (July 26) international friendly against Ecuador, in Guayaquil, Ecuador.

The friendly is part of the Soca Warriors preparations for remaining FIFA World Cup 2018 Russia Qualifiers against Honduras (at home on Sep. 1), Panama (away on Sep. 5), Mexico (away on Oct. 6) and the United States (at home on Oct. 10).

Trinidad and Tobago are currently bottom of the CONCACAF Hex, and Joseph believes poor finishing and decision making in the final third are also negatively affecting the national team.

“We haven’t been combining well in the final third at the national level also,” said Joseph, whose last call-up with the Soca Warriors was in November 2016 under coach Stephen Hart when he was an unused substitute in a 3-1 loss against hosts Honduras in World Cup qualifying.

“At the national level -- from looking on -- I can see we have improved in terms of possession but a lot of times we are let down by the final pass or decision-making, or in finishing. We must improve in the final third if we are to improve our chances at qualifying [for the World Cup 2018].”

Trinidad and Tobago head coach, Dennis Lawrence, who took up the post in January, is yet to call on the Connection forward but Joseph is determined to earn his pick.

Lawrence is assisted by Joseph’s current club coach, Fevrier, Central FC assistant coach Stern John, and former Central coach Ross Russell.

“I will get there (on the national team) again,” Joseph said. “I am motivated at club level to do well and improve my play in front of goal and in scoring. Although I am not around the national team right now, I am supporting the team and the coaches to do well.

We have a lot of good players at the national level and the coach (Lawrence) knows what he is looking for. He is seeing what I am not, so it’s up to me to continue working harder at improving my game and [hopefully] I can be part of the team for the remaining World Cup qualifiers to help my country try and qualify (Russia 2018).”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 03:28:57 PM »
Young Lobo. Nice goal. Gosh, but it is really stressful to see a professional game being playing in an open facility like this. Nothing wrong with the PUBLIC facility. Nobody at the game. Well, the reserves and the ball boys. >:( :(

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 01:36:55 AM »
Joseph looks to cement T&T spot.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

After helping W Connection win Pro League…

W CONNECTION striker Marcus Joseph is looking to cement a spot on the T&T team, after his goal-scoring exploits played a pivotal role in his club’s capture of the 2018 Pro League crown.

The 27-year-old Joseph netted 18 goals, including a hat-trick against North East Stars on Friday evening (the final day of the season), at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva.

Connection won the game 4-0 to finish the season with 37 points, one ahead of second-placed Central FC.

Nicknamed “Lobo”, Joseph played as a midfielder for the T&T teams, at the 2007 FIFA Under-17 World Cup in South Korea and the 2009 FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Egypt.

Now, in his preferred role as a forward, Joseph is hopeful that his form this season will see figure prominently in T&T coach Dennis Lawrence’s plans for 2019.

“I would like to be always on the (national) team as a starting player,” said Joseph, during an interview after Friday’s match. “As you can see, I’m a goal-scorer. I hope the coach could see and help me to better myself and continue to work with me, for me to score goals.”

In 2019, T&T will be competing in the CONCACAF Gold Cup in the United States.

Joseph made his T&T debut away to Belize in March 2013. But his international record is not flattering – one goal in 16 appearances, and 14 of those matches were friendlies.

This year, he featured in the away matches against Guadeloupe on March 23 (T&T won 1-0) and Martinique two days later (0-0 draw), followed by a 1-0 loss at home to Panama on April 17.

He last donned the national colours in their 2-0 win against the United Arab Emirates on September 6 in Girona, Spain.

Joseph has played for a few clubs at the Pro League level, including Joe Public, TTEC, Point Fortin Civic and Central FC, before joining Connection on April 2017.

During the 2017 season, Joseph finished third on the scoring charts with eight goals, behind clubmate Neil Benjamin (12) and Rundell Winchester (nine), then with North East Stars.

In October, Joseph suffered a knee injury which forced him to miss almost a month of action.

He acknowledged, “The injury kept me back from scoring the amount of goals (that) I really wanted to score for the season, but I think I did my job.”

Asked how much goals he had in mind, Joseph replied, “about 30 to 34.”

With the season over, Joseph does not intend to rest on his laurels.

Concerning his plans for the off-season, he said, “I’ll be training every day. I always have to be putting in the work, staying focused and doing the right things. Hard work always pays.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gokulam Kerala sign Trinidad and Tobago striker Marcus Joseph
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 08:33:42 AM »
Gokulam Kerala sign Trinidad and Tobago striker Marcus Joseph
By Avik Roy (sportskeeda.com)

Gokulam Kerala have signed Trinidad and Tobago striker Marcus Joseph for the remainder of the season, according to sources. The player came on Tuesday morning and is expected to make his debut for the club against Churchill Brothers on Thursday.

Joseph was in sublime form for Trinidad and Tobago pro-league club W Connection FC, scoring 18 goals in the league to help the club win the title. He scored a hat-trick in the last match against North-East Stars to become the top scorer of the league.

The 27-year-old player started his career with United Petronin FC and moved to Joe Public FC in 2010. After spending two seasons there, he joined T and TEC Sports Club in 2012. He played at Point Fortin and Central FC before joining W Connection on 2017.

He is a prolific striker and has found the net almost regularly for all the clubs. He scored an astounding 31 goals in just 43 matches for Point Fortin. Besides the roles of a striker, he can also double up as a left winger.

Nicknamed ‘Lobo’, the player has participated in many age-group tournaments for his country. He played the 2007 FIFA U-17 World Cup in South Korea and the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Egypt.

He made his debut for his country on March 3, 2013 and has so far played 16 matches, scoring one goal. Trinidad and Tobago will play in CONCACAF Gold Cup this year in this year and Joseph intends to cement his spot in the national team.

In a recent interview, he had said, “I would like to be always on the (national) team as a starting player. As you can see, I’m a goal-scorer. I hope the coach could see and help me to better myself and continue to work with me, for me to score goals.”

This year, he has played regularly for his country including in the games against Guadeloupe, Martinique and Panama. He last match in national colours was against UAE on September 6, which Trinidad won 2-0.

An injury in October ruled him out for one month and harmed his chances in the race to become the top scorer. But after returning from injury, Joseph managed to show the same vein of form.

Gokulam have been struggling this season without a proper striker since they sold Henry Kisekka to Mohun Bagan before the start of the I-League. The Malabarians signed former Kerala Blasters man Antonio German. But German quit midway into the season after posting a cryptic message on his Instagram.

Gokulam then roped in Joel Sunday but the player failed to find the net for a single time. The Malabarians have now lost three consecutive matches. It needs to be seen whether Joseph can change their fortune.

If he makes his debut against Churchill, Joseph will face two of his countrymen Willis Plaza and Anthony Wolfe.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 02:57:19 AM »
If he can adjust, he'll make mincemeat of the Indian league

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 09:21:47 AM »

Has he ever been on trial in europe or at least the MLS
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 02:04:45 PM »

Has he ever been on trial in europe or at least the MLS

I don't think so.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 02:29:43 AM »
He might have had trials in Central America, or been recommended over there (my memory may be faulty). Ultimately I think he can achieve more, and I worry India won't give him much of a platform, but being paid week-in-week-out and getting international experience can't be a bad thing given what's happening in the Pro League.

Online Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 06:59:11 AM »
Talented guy but it seems like he bottles it whenever the lights are on him. Hopefully he's grown up!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 03:40:50 PM »
Wasn’t reported, but Mr Joseph found the mark in 24 minutes, unfortunately they lost as Churchill brothers scored 3, with Willis Plaza contributing 2 of those.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 07:41:19 PM »

Only to return to make mincemeat with Connection.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 03:06:23 AM »

Only to return to make mincemeat with Connection.

Agreed, but given the Pro League right now maybe he'll stick it out longer like Plaza.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Marksman Marcus turns Gokulam’s saviour
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 10:11:52 PM »
Marksman Marcus turns Gokulam’s saviour
By Martin Joseph (newindianexpress.com)

Marcus Joseph didn’t like football during his formative years. The Trinidadian preferred cricket until his family urged him to give football a try.  “I started playing football when I was around eleven years old. Before that, I used to play cricket. I didn’t like football so much,” the Gokulam Kerala FC striker said.

“My family encouraged me to take up football. They told me, ‘you don’t know how good you are. You should go and play’. So I thought ‘I will go to train and see what happens’. I started to like it,” he said. 

In his two months in India, the 27-year-old has demonstrated that he is a gifted footballer. He is the reason why Gokulam have avoided relegation.

The striker has been in red hot form since arriving. He has scored six in his last eight but Joseph is confident of adding to that tally when East Bengal play them in the final game of the season. “We are going up against a tough team. They are pretty good,” he said.

Gokulam had been in serious danger of being relegated this season and the club was in total disarray. Defeats became second nature, foreign players kept walking in and out, player morale kept going down which left an unsettled team without direction.

The arrival of Joseph in January gave the Kerala-based team a lifeline. Scoring on his debut, Joseph wasted no time shouldering the goalscoring burden of his ailing team. His most significant goal came against NEROCA FC in their last game where he scored the winning goal in a 2-1 win which ensured their safety. “I am a goalscorer and that is my style. I always look to score goals. My aim is to win games.” 

What’s impressive is the swiftness with which Joseph has settled into his new club. “I haven’t felt any challenges because the coaches and the bosses have welcomed me. I am very comfortable and I don’t have any worries. My performance is not as good as it should be because this is my first season here. I have played less than half of the season so I am getting used to the league. I normally play much better than this.”

Gokulam have a history of signing quality strikers. Last season, it was Henry Kisseka who was later picked up by Mohun Bagan. Gokulam roped in former Queens Park Rangers and Kerala Blasters Antonio German, although he left midway through the this season owing to personal problems.

Joseph is the latest on that list of prolific strikers.“I will continue playing in India. I am being treated good and I feel nice. I will continue to play and do good things in Indian football.”Continue in the same vein and Gokulam may find it hard to keep prized asset.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 12:11:29 PM »
WATCH: Captain Marcus Joseph's hat-trick lifts Gokulam Kerala to a 4-0 victory over Chennayin FC in their first match of the 2019 Durand Cup.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1be_O1gjfUE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1be_O1gjfUE</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 05:28:02 AM »
WATCH: Marcus Joseph makes it eight goals in three games with a hat-trick in Gokulam Kerala's 4-1 win over TRAU FC in the Durand Cup. Defender Andre Ettienne also notches a goal.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/99koUTfiq2s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/99koUTfiq2s</a>
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 09:33:16 AM by Tallman »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 08:00:38 AM »
Just goes to show that organization and money are not guarantors of quality on the field.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 08:29:31 AM »
Eight goals and counting, Kerala FC's Marcus Joseph ready for East Bengal
By Aritra Chowdhury (Times of India)

With a staggering eight goals in three matches, Marcus Joseph is flying high.

Having almost single-handedly guided Kerala FC into the Durand Cup semifinals, the Trinidad & Tobago striker has his sights set firmly on the trophy.

Kerala FC topped Group D by winning all three matches, and will face mighty East Bengal in the first semifinal at Salt Lake Stadium on Wednesday.

"It feels great that my team is in the semifinals. I'm proud of my effort, but not just me, everyone has contributed to the team's success. The morale in the group is very high and we are ready for any challenge. But we need to focus on the job if we are to bag the title," Joseph told TOI on Monday.

The 28-year-old scored a hat-trick against Chennaiyin FC in Kerala FC's opener, followed by a brace against Indian Air Force. Three more against TRAU FC on Sunday in their final group-league fixture helped Kerala FC skipper Joseph climb atop the Durand scorers' chart.

"The important thing is that we won all our matches… I was able to score some good goals and my confidence is very high," Joseph warned.

He is unfazed at the prospect of facing heavyweights East Bengal, who also qualified by winning all their three matches in Group A.

"I don't see East Bengal as a big threat because in life you always face challenges. It doesn't mean that I don't respect them, they are a good team. But it will depend on how it goes on match day… may the better team win."

Asked if he backed himself to go for a hat-trick of hat-tricks to silence the home fans, Joseph said, "I don't plan on scoring hat-tricks. I try my best to get into the scoresheet in every match and help my club win every time we play. Expectations are high, but you don't know what will happen. Even if any of my teammates score and we make the final, I will be extremely happy."

Joseph, who has 12 international caps, praised fellow-Trinidadian Daneil Cyrus, who recently signed for Mohun Bagan.

"Yes I know Daneil very well. He is a good friend of mine. We played together for our national team at the youth level. He is a very good defender," Joseph signed off.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2019, 05:00:46 PM »
WATCH: A Marcus Joseph brace took Gokulam Kerala FC to the 2019 Durand Cup title as it beat Mohun Bagan 2-1.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AJ3Ia7A3JW8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AJ3Ia7A3JW8</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2019, 03:16:10 PM »
Indian football legend IM Vijayan is impressed by Gokulam Kerala striker Marcus Joseph
By Nisanth V Easwar (goal.com)

Indian football legend IM Vijayan is impressed by Gokulam Kerala striker Marcus Joseph and has backed the club to win the I-League.

Marcus Joseph was the star of Gokulam Kerala's Durand Cup-winning campaign this year, topping the goalscorers' charts with 11 goals which include a brace against Mohun Bagan in the final.

Marcus and his team are back in Kozhikode after a successful cup journey. Indian football legend IM Vijayan joined the Trinidad and Tobago striker for a chat on Tuesday and expressed his delight at seeing an all-round forward at the Malabarians.

"I saw him play and I liked it a lot. Striker is not only there to score goals. He is passing well, dropping deep when required. Liked his goal in the final a lot. Gokulam have gotten themselves a very good striker. This team has a fighting spirit. It is not a small thing to beat East Bengal and Mohun Bagan in the semi-final and final in Kolkata," an impressed Vijayan said.

The partnership between Marcus and Henry Kisekka is touted to be a big hit in the upcoming I-League season, with the duo drawing a comparison with IM Vijayan-Raman Vijayan partnership at FC Cochin. Vijayan feels it always about the team and how good the overall squad and staff are and appreciated the efforts of the club owner and president.

He said, "Raman Vijayan and I were part of a good team. The tactics and the coaches were good. Kerala has a lot of rich people. But the fact that we're assembled here today is because of the goodwill of Gokulam Gopalan (Owner) and Praveen (President). I don't think he is making profits from this game. Everyone says the Mecca of Indian football is Kolkata but it is Kozhikode."

The Kerala-born legend feels there is no need to criticise and Indian Super League (ISL) and praised their impact on Indian football.

"ISL is a popular game and is being telecast globally. A lot of people realised about Indian football after ISL came into existence. We don't have to criticise it. The difference between ISL and I-League is the pace of the game, I-League is faster. ISL is a top league, always, and has helped the growth of Indian football."

28-year-old Marcus Joseph, who scored against East Bengal and Mohun Bagan in the semi-final and final respectively, was delighted to have lifted a trophy in what is going to be his first full season at the club.

"My first feeling (after winning the trophy) was joy, knowing that it is just my second season here, I was able to lift this title and I was excited."

He dispatched a penalty each in final two matches of the Durand Cup and believes the practice is the only way to perfect the takes.

"It is about the practice and without it, you cannot perfect it. I practice a lot so it becomes easier. The best players miss sometimes."

IM Vijayan signed off by backing Gokulam Kerala to take the next step and win the I-League title. "If Gokulam carry on in the same away - they played well - I think they can be I-League winners."

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2019, 03:33:25 PM »
Indian football legend IM Vijayan is impressed by Gokulam Kerala striker Marcus Joseph
By Nisanth V Easwar (goal.com)

Indian football legend IM Vijayan is impressed by Gokulam Kerala striker Marcus Joseph and has backed the club to win the I-League.

Marcus Joseph was the star of Gokulam Kerala's Durand Cup-winning campaign this year, topping the goalscorers' charts with 11 goals which include a brace against Mohun Bagan in the final.

Marcus and his team are back in Kozhikode after a successful cup journey. Indian football legend IM Vijayan joined the Trinidad and Tobago striker for a chat on Tuesday and expressed his delight at seeing an all-round forward at the Malabarians.

"I saw him play and I liked it a lot. Striker is not only there to score goals. He is passing well, dropping deep when required. Liked his goal in the final a lot. Gokulam have gotten themselves a very good striker. This team has a fighting spirit. It is not a small thing to beat East Bengal and Mohun Bagan in the semi-final and final in Kolkata," an impressed Vijayan said.

The partnership between Marcus and Henry Kisekka is touted to be a big hit in the upcoming I-League season, with the duo drawing a comparison with IM Vijayan-Raman Vijayan partnership at FC Cochin. Vijayan feels it always about the team and how good the overall squad and staff are and appreciated the efforts of the club owner and president.

He said, "Raman Vijayan and I were part of a good team. The tactics and the coaches were good. Kerala has a lot of rich people. But the fact that we're assembled here today is because of the goodwill of Gokulam Gopalan (Owner) and Praveen (President). I don't think he is making profits from this game. Everyone says the Mecca of Indian football is Kolkata but it is Kozhikode."

The Kerala-born legend feels there is no need to criticise and Indian Super League (ISL) and praised their impact on Indian football.

"ISL is a popular game and is being telecast globally. A lot of people realised about Indian football after ISL came into existence. We don't have to criticise it. The difference between ISL and I-League is the pace of the game, I-League is faster. ISL is a top league, always, and has helped the growth of Indian football."

28-year-old Marcus Joseph, who scored against East Bengal and Mohun Bagan in the semi-final and final respectively, was delighted to have lifted a trophy in what is going to be his first full season at the club.

"My first feeling (after winning the trophy) was joy, knowing that it is just my second season here, I was able to lift this title and I was excited."

He dispatched a penalty each in final two matches of the Durand Cup and believes the practice is the only way to perfect the takes.

"It is about the practice and without it, you cannot perfect it. I practice a lot so it becomes easier. The best players miss sometimes."

IM Vijayan signed off by backing Gokulam Kerala to take the next step and win the I-League title. "If Gokulam carry on in the same away - they played well - I think they can be I-League winners."

And here I am thinking that the I-league is ah brand ah molasses.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 03:36:05 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2019, 04:19:02 PM »
So how are we to figure this out? What is the caliber of the I league. We know for sure, it has money, they have a competition outside of the I-league, there appears to be a growing fan following. If their  best player has Marcus on a "pedestal", what is that saying about our football? Anything? Nothing?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2019, 06:06:55 PM »
Just goes to show that organization and money are not guarantors of quality on the field.

How are we to figure it out? To start with, look at the video  (GK vs TRAU FC) immediately above the post I quote here.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2019, 11:52:31 AM »
So how are we to figure this out? What is the caliber of the I league. We know for sure, it has money, they have a competition outside of the I-league, there appears to be a growing fan following. If their  best player has Marcus on a "pedestal", what is that saying about our football? Anything? Nothing?

that is a weak league period .............
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Marcus Joseph says he can become the top scorer in I-League
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2019, 05:24:00 AM »
Gokulam Kerala striker Marcus Joseph says he can become the top scorer in I-League
By Abhishek Kundu (sportskeeda.com)

After smashing 11 goals in the 2019 Durand Cup en route to helping Gokulam Kerala clinch India's oldest football tournament, Trinidad and Tobago international striker Marcus Joseph has set his eyes on the I-League.

"It was a good feeling to be the top scorer of Durand Cup. If you don't score goals, you don't win matches."

Marcus was the top goalscorer in 2018 TT Pro League, where he netted 18 goals for W Connection and helped them win the title. The 28-year-old hopes to replicate the same with Gokulam Kerala in the I-League this season.

"Yes, I can (become the top goalscorer in I-League). I always do my best to score goals and help my team. My goal is always to score goals and be the best player that I can be."

One of the very few foreigners in India to also be a part of their national team setup, Marcus recently starred in Trinidad and Tobago's 1-1 draw against Martinique in CONCACAF Nations League encounter.

"It is always a great feeling to play for your country. If you represent your country, it means you are one of the top players (in your country)."

Alongside Marcus, the other Trinidad and Tobago players who featured in the squad were Nathaniel Garcia (Gokulam Kerala), Daneil Cyrus (Mohun Bagan), and Marvin Phillip (NEROCA). Radanfah Abu Bakr (Churchill Brothers), Robert Primus (Churchill Brothers), Taryk Sampson (NEROCA), Willis Plaza (Churchill Brothers), and Andre Ettiene (Gokulam Kerala) are some other players from the Carribean nation whom we can catch in action this I-League season.

Marcus heaped praise on all of them, having played with them in his career before.

"I have played with all of them. So, I know their quality. They are very hard-working and very committed to football as well. So, you can see great performances from them."

After holding ISL side Mumbai City FC to a 1-1 draw in a pre-season game, Gokulam Kerala will take on Bengaluru FC, Chennaiyin FC, and Jamshedpur FC to continue their preparations for upcoming I-League season.

"I don't have any target (on amount of goals I wish to score) in these pre-season games. Once I get a chance, I will score. If I get one chance, I will score one. If I get two, I will score two. If I get three, I will score three. This is how football is. You just take your chances. These are just warm-up games. Basically, you want to see how fit you are and at what level you are. All these teams are top teams. So, you have to give good performances against them," he signs off.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2019, 11:12:02 AM »
WATCH: Marcus Joseph scores from an acute angle during Gokulam Kerala's 3-2 loss to Chittagong Abahani in the semifinal round of the Sheikh Kamal International Club Cup.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tkLkUyDTAC8?start=285" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tkLkUyDTAC8?start=285</a>

1]; } ?>