March 28, 2024, 11:30:22 AM

Author Topic: TTFA to drop Soca Warriors name  (Read 9944 times)

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: TTFA to drop Soca Warriors name
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2016, 10:12:59 AM »
That surprises me about Melville...guess the eat ah food mentality has gotten to him too.
Assuming that he coined the term and I use that loosely cause I remember liming with my boys back in the day making up soca and using the term warrior....dare him to disprove that...but I digress, how can he put a monetary equivalent to the use of the term? And if so why wasn't Maximus sued for royalties.....isn't that where the fight should have first started.

His claim was 18 years ago which is around 1998. Any real commercial value only came in the 2006 WC campaign and aftermath. He was a news broadcaster, I assume he has some audio or video evidence of coining the phrase. As Bakes said he never made any real attempt to copyright or trademark as far as we know so if pursued it will end up in court.

I just disgusted at the value attributed to the claim 30 million USD??? over 200 million TTD??? That is madness! I can't give the FA wrong to leave that right there.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2016, 04:05:37 PM »
That is where greed sometimes get you! Nothing! Melville could have just asked the TTFA for a 5 or 10% of all royalties from merchandise and or profits, then hope he get something. Now nobody will use it and he will be left with absolutely nothing but a historical footnote! His lawyer or adviser or agent or whoever is a total idiot or just too greedy!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2016, 05:25:04 PM »
Maybe somebody could enlighten meh, but I have not seen anything which states that Melville legally owns the Soca Warriors name. There should be something on file somewhere. Or is it dat he just contesting de usage?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2016, 07:57:12 PM »
Maximus Dan owe him money too then??.....*sigh* 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNYGS0za-Gk
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2016, 06:28:21 PM »
  out with the old and in with the new, an here comes the

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO    C A R I B B E A N S ....

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2016, 06:37:10 PM »
or should that be , an here comes the

S O C A R I B B E A N S....

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2016, 11:21:32 PM »
All of this does not matter to the average Trini in T&T. Because every man jack will still refer to the team as the Soca Warriors! 🇹🇹

'Aye boy the Soca Warriors playing tonight' man will still be saying

'I am a Soca Warrior' chant will be chanting in the stadium

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 11:23:41 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 05:19:55 AM »
FIFA not intervening in Soca Warriors trademark issue.
T&T Newsday Reports.

FIFA, the global governing body for football, has refused to get involved in the imbroglio between the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) and local sports broadcaster Selwyn Melville, over the rights of the term Soca Warriors for the national football team.

Melville has claimed that he coined the nickname in 1998 and has been trying ever since to be recognised as the owner of the trademark and to be compensated in the sum of US$30 million.

The TTFA, currently headed by David John-Williams, decided last September to drop the use of the title for all national teams (male and female).

In response to a letter issued by Melville on December 28 2016, FIFA Head of Intellectual Property (Legal and Integrity Division) Daniel Zohny, on February 15, mentioned, “as the contested term Soca Warriors is not a trademark associated with FIFA and/or FIFA events or competitions, it is not for FIFA to intervene with third party trademark matters to which it has no connection.” Zohny added, “we therefore consider the matter as an issue to be resolved solely between you and the TTFA. “We trust you understand that we consider this matter closed and will not engage in further communication in this regard, and that we expressly reserve all of FIFA’s rights in this matter,” Zohny ended.

Melville, in his letter to FIFA, wrote, “In the year 2000, the (then TTFF) chose to use the name as its official brand. At that time, I initiated talks with the then TTFF seeking to establish my rights as creator of the name but was given the run around.” Melville continued, “for the last 16 years I have been trying in vain with the various local football administrations to come to some agreement on the ownership and subsequent use of the name.

“I am therefore writing for clarification as to what FIFA’s rules are concerning such relationships and why it is necessary for FIFA to participate in such a matter when its mandate is aligned to ‘FAIR PLAY’,” he ended.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2017, 05:28:07 AM »
Melville's communication to FIFA reads with an amateurish, naive, shooting-in-the dark quality. It appears that he consulted with himself prior to submitting that to FIFA. Mercy!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2019, 04:59:21 PM »
Melville takes TTFA to court over Soca Warriors name.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

The T&T Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion is set to face an­oth­er le­gal bat­tle in the court.

Fol­low­ing on the heels of loss­es in the court from the T&T Fut­sal team and ex-ref­er­ee Ramesh Ramd­han, Guardian Me­dia Sports has learnt that ex-sports com­men­ta­tor Sel­wyn Melville, through his at­tor­neys Joseph Sookdeo and Egon Em­brack, has filed doc­u­ments in the High Court in Port- of-Spain to be­gin a bat­tle for own­er­ship of the So­ca War­riors name.

The bat­tle for the right­ful own­er of the name be­gan many years ago dur­ing Jack Warn­er's era at the helm of the TTFA, but it was on­ly un­der the Ray­mond Tim Kee-led ad­min­is­tra­tion that pro­ceed­in­gs were filed for trade­mark rights in the Unit­ed States and Eu­rope. This was lat­er tak­en up by the David John-Williams-led TTFA.

Melville, who was a sports com­men­ta­tor on the 105.1FM ra­dio sta­tion decades ago, said he was the one who coined the phrase 'So­ca War­riors', a name that has now be­come the of­fi­cial iden­ti­ty of the se­nior na­tion­al men's team and the coun­try's ju­nior teams.

Melville had been locked in talks with a com­mit­tee formed by John-Williams to find a res­o­lu­tion to the mat­ter more than two years ago, but he de­cid­ed to ini­ti­ate le­gal ac­tion when talks broke down over a fi­nan­cial dis­agree­ment. Since then, the TTFA has failed to re­spond to two pre-ac­tion pro­to­col let­ters filed by Melville's lawyers.

Yes­ter­day, Melville said, "Let the truth be told. It's im­por­tant for every­one to know the truth be­hind the 'So­ca War­riors' name, which has been a trea­sure to the na­tion. It is time that this mat­ter is set­tled now, as it has been go­ing on too long."

Con­tact­ed yes­ter­day, John-Williams said he could not of­fer a com­ment un­til he re­ceives doc­u­ments to see ex­act­ly what his as­so­ci­a­tion is be­ing chal­lenged for.

It is un­der­stood the mat­ter is cur­rent­ly logged at the In­tel­lec­tu­al Prop­er­ty Of­fice (IPO) here in T&T but this of­fice is un­able to give trade­mark rights to any par­ty un­til the lo­cal courts de­cide on own­er­ship.

Guardian Me­dia Sports un­der­stands that a pop­u­lar ra­dio sta­tion is al­so chal­leng­ing for the name rights.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2019, 08:05:26 PM »
It does not matter what name the TTFA drop or accept. THE FANS WILL ALWAYS SEE THE TEAM AS THE SOCA WARRIORS!

Nothing can stop a young boy in school from growing up to be another Soca Warriors, nothing can stop the people going to the stadium chanting the soca warrior anthem.

In the end it does not matter what the federation or a court or an opportunist individual seeking money because when it comes to the love of the team from the fans and how people want to support team then they cannot change the names fans apply to players or the team!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:07:04 PM by Sando prince »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2019, 08:17:13 PM »
It does not matter what name the TTFA drop or accept. THE FANS WILL ALWAYS SEE THE TEAM AS THE SOCA WARRIORS!

Nothing can stop a young boy in school from growing up to be another Soca Warriors, nothing can stop the people going to the stadium chanting the soca warrior anthem.

In the end it does not matter what the federation or a court or an opportunist individual seeking money because when it comes to the love of the team from the fans and how people want to support team then they cannot change the names fans apply to players or the team!

I think Melville more than agrees with you. He just trying to get paid.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2019, 10:41:24 PM »
Those guys don’t deserve to be called warriors anyway.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2019, 12:09:21 AM »
It doh have a Bacchanal World cup, feel we could go all the way... Tallman ?   :frustrated:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2020, 07:16:48 AM »
Melville, TTFA settle on Soca Warriors trademark
By Jelani Beckles (Newsday).

THE 15-year-old court battle between Selwyn Melville and the TT Football Association (TTFA) is over.

Melville was in a battle with the TTFA since 2005 over the ownership of the TT men’s senior football team nickname Soca Warriors. On Wednesday, it was revealed at a TTFA press conference, at President’s Box, Queen’s Park Oval, Port of Spain that Melville and the new TTFA administration, led by president William Wallace, were able to settle the dispute in two months. Both parties are set to benefit from the Soca Warriors name going forward.

Melville coined the nickname Soca Warriors, in 1998, during a senior men’s match between TT and El Salvador in USA. The name took on a life of its own with people all over the world calling the team Soca Warriors as compared to TT. Leading up to the 2006 World Cup, in Germany, soca artiste Maximus Dan (now MX Prime) sang Fighter, a song dedicated to the Soca Warriors. The 2006 World Cup was the first and only time TT qualified for the tournament and the song became the team’s anthem.

Melville has been battling with past administrations concerning the Soca Warriors name, most recently the David John-Williams led TTFA, who lost in the elections last November.

Wallace, who replaced John-Williams, said, “There was a matter in the court for probably over 15 years – the Selwyn Melville matter (concerning) the issue of Soca Warriors trademark...when we look at everything, the FA just had absolutely no evidence to claim the trademark, there was nothing.”

Wallace said money earned from the Soca Warriors name will be shared. “At this point in time we are drawing up an arrangement to go forward with Selwyn Melville, who has claimed the trademark, for profit-sharing from the trademark between Selwyn and of course the FA.”

Melville, speaking with the Newsday, was grateful that the process has come to an end, “I have to always say thanks to the legal team that worked with me which is Mr Celestine Felix, Egon Embrack and Joseph Sookoo. Those are the lawyers who came to my assistance from the early stages and saw me through to the finish line.”

Melville, who also thanked attorney Gail Persad, said the new TTFA administration is on the right path. “Football is in good hands because the way Mr Wallace and his team have been operating, it is no secret that they want the best for the sport and the future is shaping up very well for football in the country.

We look forward to whatever relationship we are going to have in the future, the discussions have been very good.

“We go forward in unison and based on discussions with the football association everything has been very cordial and respectful, understanding the importance of the name and what it means to TT and they could not see themselves having to go on with all this set of back and forth.”

Melville said the name Soca Warriors is key to the TT football identity saying, “Soca Warriors is bigger than money. This is about the heart and soul of the people in TT.

It will grow in its own way from there and develop its own future. Many people feel it is about the money and how much money you drag on the carpet and reach by the bank with, it is not like that, it is much more than that.”

Discussing profit sharing of the Soca Warriors name, Melville said, “There will be profit sharing, it means that where income is concerned that is something that the lawyers and the football association has to sit down and work out.”

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2020, 08:05:07 AM »
Melville coined the nickname Soca Warriors, in 1998, during a senior men’s match between TT and El Salvador in USA. The name took on a life of its own with people all over the world calling the team Soca Warriors as compared to TT.

I still contend that this is NOT true. The Soca Warrior was the name of a 1989 album by Swallow.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2020, 08:09:19 AM »
Melville coined the nickname Soca Warriors, in 1998, during a senior men’s match between TT and El Salvador in USA. The name took on a life of its own with people all over the world calling the team Soca Warriors as compared to TT.

I still contend that this is NOT true. The Soca Warrior was the name of a 1989 album by Swallow.

Look how you reach to mash up de dance and disturb the peace.  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:11:39 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2020, 08:20:16 AM »
Wallace have to be a mad man to settle this case....

Melville wasn't getting shit.

F00ck he.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2020, 11:20:05 AM »

Look how you reach to mash up de dance and disturb the peace.  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

*Paging Tallman*...new attorney and general to represent the TTFA.

I was also thing how is he so certain that name wasn't used before? Maybe Swallow can sue Selwyn now :devil:

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2020, 12:18:53 PM »

*Paging Tallman*...new attorney and general to represent the TTFA.

I was also thing how is he so certain that name wasn't used before? Maybe Swallow can sue Selwyn now :devil:

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2020, 03:12:15 PM »
Words are just words unless they apply to something. If he used the words to refer to or name the team, then he has a case. If I use those same words to refer to a type of paint, he has no rights. But it is no value to him unless the team uses it, so a profit share arrangement benefits both parties.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2020, 06:04:56 PM »
DISCOGS has Soca as a genre of reggae. these f**king people ignorant.

1]; } ?>