March 28, 2024, 08:16:40 AM

Author Topic: T&T Passport Thread.  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T Passport Thread.
« on: November 08, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »
Can I get into Trinidad with an expired passport?  Yes I'm a citizen of T&T
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Passport Question
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 05:16:13 PM »
The thing is, unless you have another valid passport (US etc.), you may not even be able to get on de plane, because yuh documents not in order.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 06:24:11 PM »
The thing is, unless you have another valid passport (US etc.), you may not even be able to get on de plane, because yuh documents not in order.

Thanks.  Yeah that's what the Embassy say here.  I thought passport was 10yrs. didn't even know they change it to five.  Stick meh good. 

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 07:21:29 PM »
Yes you can (unless things change). I flew my daughter who had an expired T&T passport to T&T with no trouble in 2008.

Getting a travel document shouldn't be too hard.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 11:58:14 AM »

Thanks.  Yeah that's what the Embassy say here.  I thought passport was 10yrs. didn't even know they change it to five.  Stick meh good. 

It back to 10 now
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 03:59:15 PM »
 :beermug:

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 05:18:01 AM »

It back to 10 now

Never understood why they changed it to 5 in the first place.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 10:55:07 AM »

It back to 10 now

Never understood why they changed it to 5 in the first place.....

Make a lil extra cash.  I got to hurry up before peep disown me.  :) 

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
T&T Passport Thread.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 11:18:01 AM »
T&T passport – longest wait in Caribbean.
By Kalifa Sarah Clyne (Newsday).

In Trinidad and Tobago it can take more than six months to get a passport after an appointment is made.

In Jamaica, a country with twice the population, it takes seven days. There, no appointments are necessary.

Passports, documents essential for travel and identification, take longer to get in T&T than any other English-speaking Caricom country.

It's an issue National Security Minister Stuart Young is aware of and he has given instructions for the time to be shortened.

The current wait time is a drastic difference from a few years ago, when a TT passport could be processed within a two-week period.

What accounts for the lengthy time period? Is it the bureaucracy? A glitch in the process? A delay on the supplier end? What options are there for people who'd rather not wait six months to vacation or visit loved ones?

The Newsday attempted to get answers to these and other questions from Chief Immigration Officer Charmaine Ghandi-Andrews. She did not answer calls or WhatsApp messages.

However, Young, who asked Ministry of National Security permanent secretaries for a report on the issue last week, said the reason for the extended delay was because of a new call centre service started by the Immigration Division.

"As soon as the issue of the lengthy time being taken for the renewal of passports came to my attention, I met with permanent secretaries at the Ministry of National Security and directed them that this was unacceptable," Young said in an interview.

"I have been given a preliminary report by the permanent secretary of the Ministry of National Security, who has assured me that he has instructed immigration, for them to bring down the length of time."

Young said he asked that the permanent secretary and immigration work as assiduously and expeditiously as possible so citizens could get their passport renewals down to one month.

He said he asked for a report this week on the progress.

Newsday called immigration departments in 11 other countries in the region and queried processing times for the renewal of machine-readable passports.

The responses ranged from a mere three days in Grenada, which has one tenth of T&T's population and seven days in Jamaica, which has twice our population.

Jamaicans also have the option of expedited services for same day, next day and three days at its head office.

Immigration staff in Antigua and Barbuda and Dominica said the process took between three weeks to one month.

In Grenada, it takes three days to process the passport application, with a same-day emergency service for EC$100 (TT$250) and a next-day service for EC$50 (TT$125).

The only other immigration department at a country in the region which requires an appointment be made is Barbados, but appointments were available one week ahead.

Then there is Trinidad and Tobago, where passport applications require an appointment. The appointment itself is simple to make, as citizens have the option of doing it online or through a phone call.

The T&T Ministry of National Security's website https://ttpassport.info/faq says the average time for a passport to be processed was three to four weeks for renewal of a machine-readable passport, and six to eight weeks for a first issue machine-readable passport.

This average is far from the current reality.

As of January 27, an attempt to make an appointment at the Immigration Division, Port of Spain, yielded an appointment date in June. Another person got an appointment in Point Fortin for April 3.

After the appointment, immigration staff tell citizens they need to wait six to eight weeks before they can collect their renewed passports.

If it's a first machine-readable passport, that time period is extended to three months.

Caricom countries passport wait times

Antigua and Barbuda – between three weeks and one month

Bahamas – five to ten days. No appointment necessary

Dominica – three weeks. No appointment necessary

Grenada –three days. No appointment necessary

Guyana – five working days. No appointment necessary

Jamaica – seven days. No appointment necessary

St Vincent and the Grenadines – seven working days. No appointment necessary

Barbados – ten business days. Appointments available within a week.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: T&T Passport Thread.
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 07:42:03 AM »
T&T Passport wait time decreased.
BY KALIFA SARAH CLYNE (NEWSDAY).

Depending on which passport office you decide to visit, Trinidad and Tobago citizens can now get passport appointments within the same month.

This is a sharp decrease from an almost five-month wait being given to nationals as recently as February, making T&T the country in the Caribbean with the longest wait times.

The change comes two months after Newsday first reported that T&T had the longest wait time in the Caribbean for passport applications.

When contacted in January, Minister of National Security Stuart Young told Newsday he had received a report from his permanent secretary that attributed the long wait times to the implementation of a call centre.

He did not give details on the hiccups.

When Newsday contacted immigration offices today, appointments were offered for as early as March 23 and as late as April 17.

That is in line with Young's February commitment to have wait times decreased to one month.
Newsday attempted to contact Chief Immigration Officer Charmaine Gandhi-Andrews on Monday to find out what parts of the process needed to be changed to improve efficiency but did not receive a response at the time this story was published.

The same question was sent to Young. While he did not say how the process needed to be adjusted, he thanked immigration officers for working to make the process more accessible for the public by increasing efficiency.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>