March 28, 2024, 10:19:17 AM

Author Topic: Costa Rica tame Trinidad and Tobago 2-0  (Read 3569 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Costa Rica tame Trinidad and Tobago 2-0
« on: November 12, 2016, 03:10:46 PM »
Costa Rica tame Trinidad and Tobago 2-0
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

CHRISTIAN BOLANOS and Ronald Matarrita scored second- half goals as Costa Rica inflicted a 2-0 beating on Trinidad and Tobago in their FIFA World Cup CONCACAF Zone Final Round qualifier at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo last evening.

In the 65th minute, Bolanos was picked out inside the sixyard box by right-back Christian Gamboa after the TT defence were caught napping, and tapped into the vacant net.

And, in stoppage time, with the TT team seeking the equalising goal, they were caught on a counter-attack as Matarrita slotted his left-footed shot past TT goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams.

With key TT playmaker Kevin Molino suspended by coach Stephen Hart, winger Jomal Williams was brought in to the starting line-up, for his seventh international cap.

Costa Rica were steady in the first half, but they had a good chance to open the scoring in the fourth minute, with left-back Francisco Quesada sending a free-kick narrowly wide from the left.

Trinidad and Tobago’s strategy was clear from the onset, with long balls from the back to Cordell Cato and Joevin Jones on the flanks, who were then given the license to attack the Costa Rica wingbacks.

However, the Costa Ricans, coached by Oscar Ramirez, decided to double-team the TT wingers whenever the chances arose.

TT centre-back Sheldon Bateau, in the 19th, stayed up from a Khaleem Hyland corner and met a cross from the midfielder; however his header went wide from the mark.

Jomal Williams had a subdued first half showing, but he had an opportunity to score in the 32nd.

Right-back Daneil Cyrus swung a cross which was missed by Kenwyne Jones, but Williams swiveled and unleashed a right-footed volley which went overbar.

TT goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams was called into action in the 39th, as he produced a fine close-range save to deny Kendall Watson’s header.

The visitors were forced to make a change three minutes later with Quesada, who suffered a right ankle injury during a setplay, having to be replaced by Michael Umana.

Seven minutes into the second half, Joevin Jones, in one of his many runs down the right, sent in a ball across the face of goal, beyond the reach of Kenwyne Jones and Jomal Williams.

In the 65th, Costa Rica broke the deadlock – Cato and left-back Aubrey David were in a virtual tangle on the flank and Gamboa received a return ball from Bryan Ruiz. Gamboa got himself in the penalty box and squared the ball past Jan-Michael Williams, with Bolanos collecting it and slotting home from three metres out.

Hart rang in the changes, bringing in Andre Boucaud, Levi Garcia and Willis Plaza – for Jomal Williams, Cato and a subdued Kenwyne Jones respectively – the Plaza change for the TT skipper brought a near standing ovation from the estimated 13,000 TT fans at the venue.

TT showed more impetus in attack with stopper Carlyle Mitchell, who remained up front after a set piece, forcing a magnificent save from Keylor Navas in the 69th while, from the defensive clearance, Costa Rica substitute forward Joel Campbell narrowly missed his left-footed shot, with Jan-Michael Williams beaten.

With seconds ticking, Costa Rica got the killer goal.

Campbell teed up Bolanos in a counter-attack and Bolanos evaded a challenge from Boucaud and found Matarrita, who duly finished from inside the penalty box, to the delight of the hundreds of vocal Costa Rica fans in attendance.

Also in the Final Round, Panama earned a 1-0 victory away to Honduras, with a 22nd minute freekick from Fidel Mendieta.

The United States were due to host Mexico on the other match last night.

Trinidad and Tobago –  21.Jan-Michael Williams (GK); 4.Sheldon Bateau, 5.Daneil Cyrus, 12.Carlyle Mitchell,7.Cordell Cato (16.Levi Garcia, 74′), 2.Aubrey David; 19.Kevan George;  8.Khaleem Hyland, 3.Joevin Jones; 23.Jomal Williams (14.Andre Boucaud, 66′), 9.Kenwyne Jones (captain) (13.Willis Plaza, 78′).

Subs not used : 1.Marvin Phillip (GK), 22.Adrian Foncette (GK), 6.Radanfah Abu Bakr, 10.Marcus Joseph, 11.Ataulla Guerra, 15.Neveal Hackshaw, 17.Jelani Peters, 18.Yohance Marshall, 20.Trevin Caesar.

Head Coach: Stephen Hart

Costa Rica – 1.Keylor Navas (GK); 19.Kendall Waston, 2.Johnny Acosta, 15.Francisco Calvo (4.Michael Umaña, 42′); 16.Christian Gamboa, 5.Celso Borges, 14.Randall Azofeifa, 22.Ronald Matarrita; 10.Bryan Ruiz (captain) (11.Johan Venegas, 77′), 21.Marcos Ureña (12.Joel Campbell, 57′), 7.Christian Bolanos.

Subs not used : 18.Patrick Pemberton (GK), 23.Leonel Moreira (GK), 3.Jose Salvatierra, 6.Pablo Salazar, 8.Bryan Oviedo, 9.Ariel Rodriguez, 13.Rodney Wallace, 17.Yeltsin Tejeda, 20.Davis Guzman.

Head Coach: Oscar Ramirez

Referee: Oscar Moncada (Honduras)
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What we learned from Costa Rica winning 2-0 away to Trinidad and Tobago
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 03:13:50 PM »
What we learned from Costa Rica winning 2-0 away to Trinidad and Tobago
By Kevin McCauley (sbnation.com)

Costa Rica has gotten their final round of World Cup qualifying off to a great start, recording a 2-0 win away to Trinidad and Tobago in a game where they never looked much like conceding a goal.

With away points being so valuable in the Hex, Costa Rica set up in a very conservative version of their 3-4-2-1 formation, taking very few risks going forward. What they probably didn't anticipate was Trinidad and Tobago playing even more defensively despite being the home side. As a result, very little of note happened in the first half, save for an injury substitution. Los Ticos' Francisco Calvo was hurt late in the half, and was replaced by Michael Umaña in the 41st minute.

Realizing there was little risk in doing so, Costa Rica started to venture forward a bit more in the second half, and the Soca Warriors couldn't keep their clean sheet for long. Christian Bolaños scored the opening goal in the 65th minute, though he didn't have a ton of work to do. T&T defender Daneil Cyrus never tracked his run and goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams was caught out of position, so when Cristian Gamboa hit a ball across the six yard box, all Bolaños had to do was tap it in uncontested.

Down a goal, T&T fought back and nearly equalized in the 69th minute. Defender Carlyle Mitchell ventured forward and unleashed a powerful shot from the edge of the penalty area, but Keylor Navas was equal to the challenge and made a solid save. While it wasn't the Soca Warriors' last shot, it was their last clear-cut chance, and Costa Rica was able to hold on for all three points.

In stoppage time, with T&T pushing forward, Costa Rica was able to grab a clinching goal on the break. Bolaños provided the setup with an excellent run through the center before laying off to Ronald Materria to finish off the counter attack and seal three points for his team.

Trinidad and Tobago: Jan-Michael Williams; Carlyle Mitchell, Sheldon Bateau, Daneil Cyrus, Aubrey David, Jeovin Jones, Jomal Williams (Andre Boucaud 67'), Khaleem Hyland, Cordell Cato (Levi Garcia 75'), Kevan George, Kenwyne Jones (Willis Plaza 79')

Goals: None.

Costa Rica: Keylor Navas; Johnny Acosta, Kendell Watson, Francisco Calvo (Michael Umaña 41'), Ronald Matarria, Randall Azofeifa, Celso Borges, Cristian Gamboa, Christian Bolaños, Bryan Ruiz (Johan Venegas 78'), Marcos Ureña (Joel Campbell 58')

Goals: Bolanños (65'), Matarria (90')

Three things
The pressure is on the USMNT and Mexico
-- If CONCACAF's assumed top two teams thought that Costa Rica wasn't going to make life hard for them, they may be in for a surprise. Los Ticos weren't dominant by any stretch of the imagination, but that they were able to get an away win without being seriously challenged suggests that they have just as much of a chance of finishing on top of the Hex as the big two do.

Joel Campbell should be starting for Los Ticos -- It makes sense that Costa Rica opted for an unselfish center forward in Marco Ureña and two experienced players behind him that are good at keeping possession, but leaving their most explosive attacker on the bench was probably a miscalculation. Though he wasn't involved in the winning goal, Campbell changed the game the instant he came on for Costa Rica, and it was no surprise that his presence unsettled the T&T back line considerably.

Could the Hex have a clear top four and bottom two already? -- T&T joins Honduras in the losing column despite playing at home against a team that was not the United States or Mexico. Their extremely conservative setup suggested that they were fine with a point, and they couldn't get it. It's currently difficult to envision the Soca Warriors making a serious push for World Cup qualification.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica tame Trinidad and Tobago 2-0
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 03:16:03 PM »
WATCH: Post-match press conference with Head Coach Stephen Hart following Trinidad and Tobago’s 2-0 loss to Costa Rica

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yPrjaivCgSc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yPrjaivCgSc</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 03:23:14 PM »

The problem here is players not playing to their ability and not giving their all for country. Look at this game today, which player was playing with the hunger to win? Also, Hart does not have much quality players to choose from, so he has to work with what he has at his disposal.

I just do not understand how the Pro League has not developed better quality defenders for the national team.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 03:26:25 PM »
WATCH: Highlights of Trinidad and Tobago’s 2-0 loss to Costa Rica

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/b5gMT-R75ws" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/b5gMT-R75ws</a>

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 03:51:34 PM »
WATCH: Post-match press conference with Head Coach Stephen Hart following Trinidad and Tobago’s 2-0 loss to Costa Rica

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yPrjaivCgSc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yPrjaivCgSc</a>

Is it at all possible to get a feed to the camera?  This is an important interview but like they didn't plan for audio.  :(
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 03:55:33 PM »
FULL MATCH: Trinidad and Tobago vs Costa Rica

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/j4ziRncjF_8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/j4ziRncjF_8</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 05:29:04 PM »
Despite the poor showing, the Soca Warriors 'far from finished'  :beermug:

https://www.facebook.com/SocaTv/posts/1173237432751116

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
D Touches Pass Tru - TT Vs Costa Rica
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 06:13:34 PM »
Oh Yes Forumites,

The Hex is back again and yesterday everything was good except the final score line.

I arrived on the ave at 4:15 pm.

Traffic was flowing, weather was nice and overcast and I went to a comfortable watering hole just a street away from the venue for a quick cold brew.

Football is a thing that draws people together and while the intention was to take just one, I saw long lost  friends who came back for the game and with that drinks started to flow.

5:15 and I say its time to go...I cyar take that jammin by the gate. But the only jammin I experienced was the beers upon my bladder. People the TTFF, Gary Griffith, Security, whatever advisors they had finally got it right and I was in the stadium in under 30 seconds.

All the various gates were open, they were properly manned and I passed tru security in no time. I then got a matchday program, a free bmobile cup and a Trini Flag...yes a mini flag and it wasn't a cheap one. It was the proper ting with good nylon flag material, plastic stick and gold finish top. The kinda mini flag that you paying $45 in the airport in duty free. The match program is top stuff, pictures and stats of all the players, message from the TTFF, an article by Corneal, good souvenir to keep.

The stadium organizers had all the turnstiles open and I walked to an empty one and entered..no line again. It took me three minutes to get in the stadium, a record! Well done organizers keep it up!

So the bladder was under pressure and I say lemme see if they passing test number 2 and guess what, top marks for the TTFF and Sport Company again. All the bathrooms were open, we had soap and paper, we had water and even attendants in a Blue Polo uniform, mopping up the urinals and the wash basin area. I asked one of the ladies what company she was from and she said they were hired by Sportt and they were assigned there for the duration of the match but to concentrate more on the ladies bathrooms. I was impressed finally, we moving in the right direction.

Walking along all the bars and concession areas were open, the TTFF got the liquor licence in order so hard stuff and chaser was available. No lines atall, bucket men moving seamlessly and I just had the best stadium intro experience ever. If you were a visitor or first time football supporter this was a dream come true.

Reaching upstairs,  there was an area by half line in the uncovered area specifically set up for the season ticket pass holders and a fan group.I believe it may be central FC or other junior national team players. It was taped off and had security/ushers maintaining order.

I was fortunate enough to get a bligh in the Tribe All Inclusive Section and my experienced hosts catered to my every need. Food for the stomach and the eyes were offered, drinks aplenty and our own riddim section. Thank you Tribe for completing my wonderful match experience.

Soaking up the atmosphere, it was time to listen to Austin Lyons aka Super Blue. He was dressed in a blue MC Hammer pants, Red Jersey and head Tie. He was even given a live brass band as back up and the opening tune was "Soca Train". Austin tried to dance and jig on the track but he was under pressure.  By the second tune, his words were inaudible and mumblings were the norm. Little phrases, go warriors, AYE AYE AYE, the Mic flip and catch completed the repertoire and when he was finished he got a loud round of applause, but moreso out of sympathy.

I didnt hear or see movado, if indeed he was there and at half time we were treated to a woman in a cream bodysuit and heels with a good vocal range. She was strutting her stuff, but I was downstairs liming and using the facilities.

What struck me about this game was that the stadium was relatively empty. Don't know why but the stadium was only half full, I think past stadium experiences, the recent performances of the team, time of the month, the opposition. The bachannal with the striking players, no molino, no bostock, I think only true football fans turned up yesterday.

The TT team were welcomed by the appreciative crowd when they did their pre game pitch assessment and TT were sporting a new prematch kit, black and grey/white stripes very fashionable. TT also has a new joma kit. same shape and collar, but instead of a solid horizontal stripe across the chest we now have a black and white paintbrush swipe, stopping halfway. it looks decent and if available to the public I will add it to my collection.

Both teams warmed up the same way...first Xi one side, subs one side. It is here I took notice of our opponents and marveled. Keylor navas is a short man! The goal seemed to swallow him up, he looked small compared to the rest of the Costa Rican players and our players and I say it have a reason that starting for Real Madrid...it was made apparent when he got down late in the second half to stop a bullet from Cato that looked like sure goal.

It also worried me that Joel Campbell was on the subs bench. I told myself, he go be worries when he come on and so said so done, not a mistake was made, perfect touch and pass and he was involved in the goals when they happened. He made our defenders look small, lbsing off men with ease and unsettling our defence effortlessly.

In terms of the game I think we should be proud of our players they tried their best. TT had a good game and we did not capitalise on the 4-6 chances that we got in the game.

Costa Rica got 4 chances and put away two. The difference between both teams was simply the quality of the players. You could see the difference between outside and pro league. The level of fitness, decision making, passing range and control. Costa Rica were superior and they let us play, they sat back and were in 1st and 2nd gear for the whole game and we had a team to beat but didnt.

They also did their homework and played 4-5 at the back and middle. Everytime joevin or the other winger cato or the number 7 got the ball there were 3 players on them. Three...midfielder to cover, wingback to double team and a floating player to hit the blade.

We got only one or two crosses in to nobody as Jones was double teamed and he dropped back to get the ball.

What was worse is that we got countless free kicks and corners and wasted every single one, our set piece takers could not cross the ball and beat the first defender first post, that is unacceptable and shameful.

With our only threats being the wing play shut down...Costa Rica relaxed and we didnt try to go thru the middle nor did we step up the pace and attack them. We just stroked the ball around the back side to side hitting and hoping for a winger to do something.

The crowd was against kenwyne jones but for what? he did well he was marked by 2-3 players constantly and he won all his aerial duels, he lay off the ball and held up the play when needed and he worked hard. The problem is we did not have that skillful player to feed off of him and take it to them. Give the captain a bligh, he is leading the team to the best of his ability and dealing with the mental pressure and lack of support from the fans. Kenwyne, keep yuh head up soldier!

We are not shooting the ball and we looking like Arsenal playing tippy tappy around the area with no conviction.

This game should have been 0-0...a draw and one point and I think hart set up for that scoreline.

The goal was very very soft and it was a mental lapse, fitness and the usual pointing and ball watching. Joel Campbell got the ball turned and got past his marker and then sent a diagonal to the costa rican winger...the man then rinse our midfielder..rinse the left back and then the stopper ran across wild wild rushing in and get beat too. This is happening edge of the area and the keeper sensing danger...rush out too for damage control. Costa Rican squares the ball and the other stopper and wing back..I believe is Cyrus stand up ball watching and a man is unmarked in our six yard box collecting a ball and tapping it into a open net.

The kinda cuss that pass...unbelievable. A goal out of nothing, Costa Rica played nothing whole game, they ent come out they half they do nothing and we gift them a goal.

Then we bring on my player...Andre Boucaud and we spring to life, the one touch start..we start to bounce the ball and then things started to open up but too little too late. Plaza came on to try but the reality is we have no plan B.

Additionally, we are playing dunce when it come to passes and player decisions. Costa Rica has a tall stopper free roving across the back line, but more on the left side. Our keeper and players keep hoofing the ball to him all in attempt to get our speedy winger the number 7 or levi. the man win every challenge all night and yet nobody could just play the ball on the ground to our players.

We reaching half line then turning back to play the ball to williams to hit and hope to kenwyne...whole night it not working...why dont we shake it up and try something new.

We cannot make a cross from a corner to beat the first defender...well try it short nah, change it up.

The only way we were beating Costa Rica yesterday was from a set piece and we could not do it due to the poor delivery of the ball. kenwyne and Bateau could head the ball...get it to them.

That being said, TT kept possession well, we cut down on our mistakes and we tried. I was happy with our performance compared to games past, but we just don't have the right strikers and finishing power.

The good news is all the home teams lost yesterday...Honduras, USA and TT. We are not out of it and honestly I was expecting a draw as the best scenario for us. Realistically I braced mehself for the loss but the manner in which it happened is what have meh hurting.

The reality is to qualify for Russia we don't have to beat everybody, breaking it down even further we only have to be better than 2 teams in the group to get a playoff spot, Three teams for outright qualification and that should be our direct game plan.

Honduras and Panama are the teams we need to take 4 points minimum off and we will do that on Tuesday.

We have enough in our tank to get a draw or win in Honduras. Any other points against USA, Mexico or Costa Rica is bonus.

Let us shake it off, regroup and fight hard. Qualification will happen, let us believe and keep the faith.

Till next time!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 04:41:14 PM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: D Touches Pass Tru - TT Vs Costa Rica
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 07:15:59 PM »
Thanks as always bro  :beermug:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 07:29:32 PM »
Nice as always Touches. I am not as disheartened by the performance yesterday as some forumites. The HEX is about making changes. Let's see what Hart does on Tuesday.

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 07:56:42 PM »
Thanks Touches, I'm keeping the faith :beermug:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 08:34:20 PM »
Oh Yes Forumites,

The Hex is back again and yesterday everything was good except the final score line.

Traffic was flowing, weather was nice and overcast and I went to a comfortable watering hole just a street away from the venue for a quick cold brew.

Football is a thing that draws people together and while the intention was to take just one, I saw long lost  friends who came back for the game and with that drinks started to flow.

5:15 and I say its time to go...I cyar take that jammin by the gate. But the only jammin I experienced was the beers upon my bladder. People the TTFF, Gary Griffith, Security, whatever advisors they had finally got it right and I was in the stadium in under 30 seconds.

All the various gates were open, they were properly manned and I passed tru security in no time. I then got a matchday program, a free bmobile cup and a Trini Flag...yes a mini flag and it wasn't a cheap one. It was the proper ting with good nylon flag material, plastic stick and gold finish top. The kinda mini flag that you paying $45 in the airport in duty free. The match program is top stuff, pictures and stats of all the players, message from the TTFF, an article by Corneal, good souvenir to keep.

The stadium organizers had all the turnstiles open and I walked to an empty one and entered..no line again. It took me three minutes to get in the stadium, a record! Well done organizers keep it up!

So the bladder was under pressure and I say lemme see if they passing test number 2 and guess what, top marks for the TTFF and Sport Company again. All the bathrooms were open, we had soap and paper, we had water and even attendants in a Blue Polo uniform, mopping up the urinals and the wash basin area. I asked one of the ladies what company she was from and she said they were hired by Sportt and they were assigned there for the duration of the match but to concentrate more on the ladies bathrooms. I was impressed finally, we moving in the right direction.

Walking along all the bars and concession areas were open, the TTFF got the liquor licence in order so hard stuff and chaser was available. No lines atall, bucket men moving seamlessly and I just had the best stadium intro experience ever. If you were a visitor or first time football supporter this was a dream come true.

Reaching upstairs,  there was an area by half line in the uncovered area specifically set up for the season ticket pass holders and a fan group.I believe it may be central FC or other junior national team players. It was taped off and had security/ushers maintaining order.

I was fortunate enough to get a bligh in the Tribe All Inclusive Section and my experienced hosts catered to my every need. Food for the stomach and the eyes were offered, drinks aplenty and our own riddim section. Thank you Tribe for completing my wonderful match experience.

Soaking up the atmosphere, it was time to listen to Austin Lyons aka Super Blue. He was dressed in a blue MC Hammer pants, Red Jersey and head Tie. He was even given a live brass band as back up and the opening tune was "Soca Train". Austin tried to dance and jig on the track but he was under pressure.  By the second tune, his words were inaudible and mumblings were the norm. Little phrases, go warriors, AYE AYE AYE, the Mic flip and catch completed the repertoire and when he was finished he got a loud round of applause, but moreso out of sympathy.

I didnt hear or see movado, if indeed he was there and at half time we were treated to a woman in a cream bodysuit and heels with a good vocal range. She was strutting her stuff, but I was downstairs liming and using the facilities.

What struck me about this game was that the stadium was relatively empty. Don't know why but the stadium was only half full, I think past stadium experiences, the recent performances of the team, time of the month, the opposition. The bachannal with the striking players, no molino, no bostock, I think only true football fans turned up yesterday.

The TT team were welcomed by the appreciative crowd when they did their pre game pitch assessment and TT were sporting a new prematch kit, black and grey/white stripes very fashionable. TT also has a new joma kit. same shape and collar, but instead of a solid horizontal stripe across the chest we now have a black and white paintbrush swipe, stopping halfway. it looks decent and if available to the public I will add it to my collection.

Both teams warmed up the same way...first Xi one side, subs one side. It is here I took notice of our opponents and marveled. Keylor navas is a short man! The goal seemed to swallow him up, he looked small compared to the rest of the Costa Rican players and our players and I say it have a reason that starting for Real Madrid...it was made apparent when he got down late in the second half to stop a bullet from Cato that looked like sure goal.

It also worried me that Joel Campbell was on the subs bench. I told myself, he go be worries when he come on and so said so done, not a mistake was made, perfect touch and pass and he was involved in the goals when they happened. He made our defenders look small, lbsing off men with ease and unsettling our defence effortlessly.

In terms of the game I think we should be proud of our players they tried their best. TT had a good game and we did not capitalise on the 4-6 chances that we got in the game.

Costa Rica got 4 chances and put away two. The difference between both teams was simply the quality of the players. You could see the difference between outside and pro league. The level of fitness, decision making, passing range and control. Costa Rica were superior and they let us play, they sat back and were in 1st and 2nd gear for the whole game and we had a team to beat but didnt.

They also did their homework and played 4-5 at the back and middle. Everytime joevin or the other winger cato or the number 7 got the ball there were 3 players on them. Three...midfielder to cover, wingback to double team and a floating player to hit the blade.

We got only one or two crosses in to nobody as Jones was double teamed and he dropped back to get the ball.

What was worse is that we got countless free kicks and corners and wasted every single one, our set piece takers could not cross the ball and beat the first defender first post, that is unacceptable and shameful.

With our only threats being the wing play shut down...Costa Rica relaxed and we didnt try to go thru the middle nor did we step up the pace and attack them. We just stroked the ball around the back side to side hitting and hoping for a winger to do something.

The crowd was against kenwyne jones but for what? he did well he was marked by 2-3 players constantly and he won all his areal duels, he lay off the ball and held up the play when needed and he worked hard. The problem is we did not have that skillful player to feed off of him and take it to them. Give the captain a bligh, he is leading the team to the best of his ability and dealing with the mental pressure and lack of support from the fans. Kenwyne, keep yuh head up soldier!

We are not shooting the ball and we looking like Arsenal playing tippy tappy around the area with no conviction.

This game should have been 0-0...a draw and one point and I think hart set up for that scoreline.

The goal was very very soft and it was a mental lapse, fitness and the usual pointing and ball watching. Joel Campbell got the ball turned and got past his marker and then sent a diagonal to the costa rican winger...the man then rinse our midfielder..rinse the left back and then the stopper ran across wild wild rushing in and get beat too. This is happening edge of the area and the keeper sensing danger...rush out too for damage control. Costa Rican squares the ball and the other stopper and wing back..I believe is Cyrus stand up ball watching and a man is unmarked in our six yard box collecting a ball and tapping it into a open net.

The kinda cuss that pass...unbelievable. A goal out of nothing, Costa Rica played nothing whole game, they ent come out they half they do nothing and we gift them a goal.

Then we bring on my player...Andre Boucaud and we spring to life, the one touch start..we start to bounce the ball and then things started to open up but too little too late. Plaza came on to try but the reality is we have no plan B.

Additionally, we are playing dunce when it come to passes and player decisions. Costa Rica has a tall stopper free roving across the back line, but more on the left side. Our keeper and players keep hoofing the ball to him all in attempt to get our speedy winger the number 7 or levi. the man win every challenge all night and yet nobody could just play the ball on the ground to our players.

We reaching half line then turning back to play the ball to williams to hit and hope to kenwyne...whole night it not working...why dont we shake it up and try something new.

We cannot make a cross from a corner to beat the first defender...well try it short nah, change it up.

The only way we were beating Costa Rica yesterday was from a set piece and we could not do it due to the poor delivery of the ball. kenwyne and Bateau could head the ball...get it to them.

That being said, TT kept possession well, we cut down on our mistakes and we tried. I was happy with our performance compared to games past, but we just don't have the right strikers and finishing power.

The good news is all the home teams lost yesterday...Honduras, USA and TT. We are not out of it and honestly I was expecting a draw as the best scenario for us. Realistically I braced mehself for the loss but the manner in which it happened is what have meh hurting.

The reality is to qualify for Russia we don't have to beat everybody, breaking it down even further we only have to be better than 2 teams in the group to get a playoff spot, Three teams for outright qualification and that should be our direct game plan.

Honduras and Panama are the teams we need to take 4 points minimum off and we will do that on Tuesday.

We have enough in our tank to get a draw or win in Honduras. Any other points against USA, Mexico or Costa Rica is bonus.

Let us shake it off, regroup and fight hard. Qualification will happen, let us believe and keep the faith.

Till next time!

The match program had all that, but what did it have of the opponent? More than curious as to how much it cost to produce. #lessenthused

The game being televised (live?) probably did NOT help attendance.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 08:38:35 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 10:15:15 PM »
boy. if you know how mad it does get me to hear people bad talk Jones. Very very frankly I do not ever remember seeing T&T looking even remotely likely to score against non Caribbean opposition without Jones in the front distracting 2/3 defenders...and nobody ever get on none of them other strikers nuts.

for the Cyrus. the man does do a lot of things good, but yes, he jogging back / not running to cover his man. Every game is one or two lapse in focus that does cause goals by that dude (or somebody in the back). I real fed up of that sh!t. Bateau and maybe Aubrey if he could fix them mistakes deserve a spot...but we need a central defender bad...and another tall, imposing bully like jones up front. try abu bakr or cryrus up there even.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 11:21:35 PM »
the goal occured 2 or 3 plays before it actually scored, when we had possession. but anyway, we as fans not ready for this level, so why as players should they be. The team played well, Costa Rica was a little taken aback, until they later (rather than sooner) worked us out. Anyway from 20,000 TT fans we can get 2000 different reports and opinions, but only a few in a position to have any lethal effect on the opposition, players and coach, and like many drugs - cause obviously the game seems to alter and warp some ppl minds - affect everyone differently. Besides alleviating the known issue,may cause Nausea, Headaches, Heart Desease,and other side effects, consult your physician before supporting..otherwise avoid, and live with the condition, which the individual themself have no idea of , may not even know they are suffering :devil:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:27:26 PM by maxg »

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 11:34:23 PM »
Nice read as usual

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 09:31:52 AM »
Hart: ‘I cannot fault the players’
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

‘Disappointed’ is how national coach Stephen Hart described the 2-0 loss to Costa Rica in the opening match in the Final round of the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo on Friday night.

Despite an excellent display on the field, the ‘Soca Warriors’ missed the chance of securing at least a point when a defensive blunder in the 65th minute allowed Christian Gaboa to thread a pass to an unmarked Christian Bolanos in front goal to collect and slot home.

However, Hary said at the post-match press conference that he could not fault the T&T players in the game, saying: “When the game was 0-0, Keilor Navas pulled off a save that he should not have made. And when a goalkeeper makes a save like that it allows you to win the game. You wait for your one chance because they are so patient and as I said, they didn't punish Jan Michael Williams. Jan wasn't busy, but they waited and waited until they got a chance and they took it, but we didn't take ours.”

According to Hart: “I thought we were in control of the game for very long periods. Jan really didn't have much work to do and then we got the goal scored on us. The second goal I really can't care about because the second goal was a product of trying to come back and tie the game.”

He noted: “Costa Rica played with a set formation which included three centre backs and two wing backs. Coming into the game, what was the tactic to penetrate that very dense system? I thought we did well. What we did was we took away the pockets that they wanted to receive the ball in, which was Bolanos and Bryan Ruiz Gonzalez and made them play the ball wide first before we go to press it.

And I thought we were doing okay with that and then they tried to get Randall Azofeifa Corrales on the ball off of the three centre backs and he ended up the playmaker. Both Kenwyne Jones and Jomal James contained him quite well. But as I said, I am disappointed.”

Hart believes it was just not their day as his players functioned well in all departments of the game, but had nothing to show for it.

Quizzed specifically on whether he was satisfied with the way the team defended, Hart replied: “Yes, One mistake really cost us the goal. The second goal, you know you are trying to get back something and they scored. I won't pay much attention to that myself. But I mean really and truly I thought it was a decent team performance tonight.”

The coach admitted, however, that from the videos and details he looked at, he observed the Costa Ricans love to come down the right side, but they switched up and came down a lot on the left side. “Maybe we should have read that a little bit better, but we got away in the first half without conceding many chances. I think they got one header which went wide from a free cross and maybe as footballers, you have to sort a problem out on the field as the players could not hear me.”

Hart also scuffed at concerns of captain Kenwyne Jones’ workload up front with Jomal Williams, telling reporters the duo worked really hard for the match.

According to Hart, he wanted Jomal to play off Kenwyne and use his dribbling ability to help Joevin and Cato do some penetration, noting whether it was the right or wrong decision to play Williams, they needed someone to play that sort of #number 10 role. After the victory the Costa Ricans were whisked away to the Piarco International Airport enroute to home while the T&T team was scheduled to leave yesterday evening for San Pedro Sula for their next match with Honduras.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 11:28:28 AM »
The crowd was against kenwyne jones but for what? he did well he was marked by 2-3 players constantly and he won all his areal duels, he lay off the ball and held up the play when needed and he worked hard. The problem is we did not have that skillful player to feed off of him and take it to them. Give the captain a bligh, he is leading the team to the best of his ability and dealing with the mental pressure and lack of support from the fans. Kenwyne, keep yuh head up soldier!

This game should have been 0-0...a draw and one point

Agreed on both points as well as the entry into the Stadium.  I got there at 6:00 and it was easy like Sunday morning to get in.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 01:36:57 PM »
What I fault the team for was allowing Costa Rica way too much possession and not playing for a win and 3 points at home but rather we were playing for a draw and 1 point.

When Costa Rica realised that T&T was only playing for a draw and 1 point and that it was safe for them to attack more rather than concentrating mainly on being defensive they brought on Michael Umaña (for an injured player) who helped to change the game and put T&T under pressure.

Also when you don't have much of the ball you can't take shots at goal and T&T hardly took any shots at goal that were on target especially in the 2nd half.

I believe Costa Rica managed to lure T&T into a sleep state when they were allowed to possess the ball for most of the game and Costa Rica eventually caught us napping in the 2nd half when our defenders all fell asleep. Also we gave away the ball way too easily which is a major peeve of mine. Giving away the ball quickly and easily ultimately leads to the other team having most of the possession which reduces your chances of getting the ball into the attacking third and getting shots on target and being able to score.

We must commend Costa Rica for an excellent tactical game and showing T&T how you win a game away from home when the home team allows you most of the possession and don't go for a win and 3 points.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 03:11:37 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 01:55:14 PM »
The match wasn't bad..I felt that we were impatient in our build up at times...we tend to force the long
 ball as opposed to using a long direct to target pass or  changing  the point of attack ...forcing a long, soft,
lobbing ball always would spell trouble.

Our build up is good but we are not objective with it...the wingers waste too much  energy and are  far away from the attacking third.

we should be patient in our build up so that we could get to the attacking third ..it is here where the wingers should be making runs diagonal and slashing while the big man is checking.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 02:29:03 PM »
Boss report as usual Mr. Touches.

My views on the game watching it on tv here in the US:

1) We looked pretty decent & compact for much of the game. Perhaps the best we have looked at home in a while vs decent opposition. I was thinking for much of the first half, if only we could maintain this poise if we were to concede, or go one up (the game situation change)..

2) Apart from the mistake for the goal, I found the defense look solid. I have been watching T&T play Costa Rica for almost 20 years, they routinely run rings around us - home or away - we never once looked like we were clinging, or struggling to keep up with them.

3) Midfield and forwards looked "ok", in good sync with each other for the most part. Clear our game plan was to get to the wings first. We need a bit more changeup, maybe switch the wingers like Beenhakker used to do, overload one side with both for a few minutes, etc. The long ball down the center is a trademark of ours for decades as well, and for decades its the low % option.  I think every time the wingers attack, the wingbacks must offer support for a higher % cross chance, or more variety than just dribbling to the end-line.

4) A 0-0 or 1-1- result would have been fair, but it was CR's quality that won in the end. They came to sit back and hit on the counter, as all visiting teams in this group will do (except for Mexico maybe). How we perform vs CR is a check on our quality - in 1989 we drew with them in POS and lost narrowly 0-1 in San Jose (Yorke had a goal disallowed and hit the post), while in 2005 we drew at home (Beenie's first game after we were 0pts after the opening 2 games). All other times we have lost to them at home, we didn't make a note...

5) Keylor Navas saved that game for CR. This is no fluke, if u playing against a keeper for Real Madrid, T&T players would have to come real flikkin good to beat him. Sometimes its just having him back there changes the game as the opposition would look for the extra pass/hesitation etc. This is a player the entire T&T team would watch on weekends, a player who trains everyday vs the BBC. That flikkin save was one of the best saves I have ever seen in my life, and worthy of winning a game.

6) Ball watching from the T&T defense - yea we could crucify men for ball watching, but the dynamic in there also is you have Joel Campbell lurking nearby in the box as well, so in a split second who do you concentrate on? If u play football u know how hard it is to defend against balls coming across you in front your own goal, I have been beaten by these as well. Not making excuses, but its not just one man fault, we defend as a team and get thrown off.

Costa Rica is a class team, they returning plenty players from the last world cup, where they win a group with Italy and England, didn't lose a game on way tot he quarterfinal, and currently unbeaten in WCQ. This is the worst team we match up against historically.

All is not lost, we need at least a point on Tuesday, not so much for our tally, but to prevent Honduras from getting ahead of us for that 3rd-4th place.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 02:56:14 PM »
What I fault the team for was allowing Costa Rica way too much possession and not playing for a win and 3 points at home but rather we were playing for a draw and 1 point.

When Costa Rica realised that T&T was only playing for a draw and 1 point and that it was safe for them to attack more rather than concentrating mainly on being defensive they brought on Michael Umaña (for an injured player) who helped to change the game and put T&T under pressure.

Also when you don't have much of the ball you can't take shots at goal and T&T harly took any shot at goal that were on traget especially in the 2nd half.

I believe Costa Rica managed to lure T&T into a sleep when they were allowed to possess the ball for most of the game and Costa Rica eventually caught us napping in the 2nd half when our defenders all fell asleep.

We must commend Costa Rica for an excellent tactical game and showing T&T how you win a game away from home when the home team allows you more possession and don't [
play for a win and 3 points.

I agree with you Pro. We played as if we were the home team.
Ihave seen TT lose before but the unmotivated dead  manner in which we  played it was as if we had no interest in  winning.
I got tired of watching short passes from the back gving CR enough time to fall back.

Whenever we got into the final third, CR had five men in front of the box. We seemed lost as to how to deal with it, no shots from the outside, no curving crosses, just lateral passes and passing it back hoping to see a gap.

Around the 66th minute, we got a FK deep in their half and JJ turn he back on the whole CR defence and pass it back to the half line....I just hold my head.
We seemed lost as to how to deal with their five mman defence.
Worse yet, we had two speedy wingers but when we won the ball in our half nobody tried a long pass to catch the CR defence off guard, it was slow passes forward which gave CR a chance to regroup.

I tired making excuses for KJ. He is obviously not te player he was 10 years ago. A good forward will occupy tow defenders, eg. Stern John or Cornell Glen. He doh even occupy one. His career has jetted downwards in  the last 18 months from Championship Div football to Central FC.
He is slow and really does not bother defenders at all, he's no great poacher at present. In the past Beenie used him as a striker, right  back and  df midfielder. I think  he should come off the  bench as a df midfielder or striker.

I had hoped Caesar would start up front, speed and dribbling skill would have been present on the left, rightand up front.
Caesar or even Kato  would compliment KJ up front.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 03:39:45 PM »
Excellent report as usual from touches!! :thumbsup:

All is not lost especially if we can get at least a point in Honduras on Tuesday!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 04:28:23 PM »
Covered stands did not have Match Programmes or give aways

The bathrooms were also under water/piss and no paper, no soap and no paper towels.

Then again that's Trinidad ... get one thing right and the other spectacularly wrong

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2016, 09:19:23 PM »
the goal occured 2 or 3 plays before it actually scored, when we had possession. but anyway, we as fans not ready for this level, so why as players should they be. The team played well, Costa Rica was a little taken aback, until they later (rather than sooner) worked us out.

Questionable thought process at best. Nobody pays us to be fans. In fact its quite the opposite...

Agree with everything else I have seen though. CRC's experience showed. Back when they were an 'ok' Concacaf side we had trouble staying on the same field with them. Now that they are on the world radar from multiple World Cup appearances and have players of proven quality I think they showed the capacity to ride out the storm, observe us, adjust, and capitalise on our weaknesses when the opportunity presented itself (as it tends to do over 90+ minutes). If nothing else this (like the 4-0 in the US) serves as a wake up call to the players as to the difference between say a Guatemala and the big three teams in this confederation.

Fans need to be less passive though. For most of the match, the HCS was like a cemetery. It was pitiful to see three stillborn waves in a row...

As already indicated, we are essentially in a mini league with Honduras and Panama for that fourth spot and have the theoretical advantage of playing a hopefully already qualified Mexico in Mexico and more importantly an already qualified USA at home in our last two matches. Any points gained against Costa Rica would have been a bonus.

What has been lost is the opportunity to rally the fans at the start of the Hex. The two home matches against Panama and to a lesser extent, Mexico in March are vital before two tough away matches in June where in all likelihood we will get a grand total of 0 points.
We need to have at least four points to have any realistic chance of advancing by the time we face Honduras at home in September in our seventh match of the series.

Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline CAPITANO

• Full Warrior
  • I heart zaboka
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2016, 09:35:53 PM »
boy. if you know how mad it does get me to hear people bad talk Jones. Very very frankly I do not ever remember seeing T&T looking even remotely likely to score against non Caribbean opposition without Jones in the front distracting 2/3 defenders...and nobody ever get on none of them other strikers nuts.

for the Cyrus. the man does do a lot of things good, but yes, he jogging back / not running to cover his man. Every game is one or two lapse in focus that does cause goals by that dude (or somebody in the back). I real fed up of that sh!t. Bateau and maybe Aubrey if he could fix them mistakes deserve a spot...but we need a central defender bad...and another tall, imposing bully like jones up front. try abu bakr or cryrus up there even.

I ain't big coach..but how come Jones got subbed and you bring on Plaza? I don't see what the coach sees in Plaza, he has never been a game changer when he comes on.  I know people say he is doing good in the Pro league, but on an international level I don't see what he brings to the team as a sub.  Even Ceasar makes some type of impact when he is brought on..Plaza to me has always been a waste of a substitution.   KJ had a good game in my opinion.
WE JAMMIN STILL!!!!!!

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2016, 08:56:58 AM »
Costa Rica like all the Latin teams, leave it all on the field, we still have no answer for their one touch passes and run on plays, because our boys are too lazy/unfit to track back and recover or delay the play until other players fall back. Time and time again we were caught ball watching and completely out of position. It is so frustrating after seeing what this team is capable of when we went toe to toe with Mexico.
Costa Rica could have pounced on us whenever they felt like and we seldom looked like we could have changed the course of the game. Overall the game was boring with only small flashes of creativity, but in the end we had no finish and no shots.
There are no easy games when it comes to World Cup qualification and we are off to a terrible start. I hope we have a more positive approach to Honduras and get at least a point out of it

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2016, 12:21:18 PM »
Post-match interview with Levi Garcia
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Bcc303SMKEc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Bcc303SMKEc</a>

Post-match interview with Andre Boucaud
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bFvfgBGMM-8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bFvfgBGMM-8</a>

Post-match interview with Bryan Ruiz
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Ktk-OQsJFF0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Ktk-OQsJFF0</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 01:16:44 PM »
Photos from the game compliments (Akini Wilson Photography).

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 10:56:07 AM »

Oh Yes Forumites,

Till next time!

The match program had all that, but what did it have of the opponent? More than curious as to how much it cost to produce. #lessenthused

The game being televised (live?) probably did NOT help attendance.

The point I am making here is that the brochure included NO info on the Costa Rican squad. Even if no pics, at least list their roster! It was easy to get.

In the US, even the home team at high school games will provide the opposing roster. At a minimum, if not a courtesy to the visiting fans, it's a courtesy to yuh own fans.

By a twist of fate/fortune, I ended up seated next to a reported senior influential voice in football and when he looked into the brochure for info on the CRC he came up blank.

Many people held the reasonable expectation of identifying opposing players who were not Joel Campbell.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 11:02:28 AM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>