March 28, 2024, 04:02:39 PM

Author Topic: November 16 Thread  (Read 1190 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
November 16 Thread
« on: November 17, 2016, 12:25:16 PM »
Allyuh know what yesterday was?

November 16

Any reason why it might resonate for Trinbagonians?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 03:29:32 AM by Flex »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Allyuh know what yesterday was?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 01:40:18 PM »
The date we qualify for the 2006 World Cup.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 02:34:25 PM »
I eh now Palos but my calendar does run 1 through 16 then 17 18 20 21 then through 31st ..yes 31st it's a Jackula calendar

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 03:12:47 PM »

Yesterday was the day when reality hit many Warrior fans of how much we have to improve to have any chance of qualifying for Russia

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 07:44:17 PM »
Boy Palos on this whole reminiscing thing, this week I watching the WCQ vs Honduras, exactly 28 years ago in 1988, my pops take me as a small man to watch my very first national football game. It was in the Oval, playing Honduras in the first leg of the knockout WCQ. I will never forget that experience - the energy of the crowd, people trying to break down the gate and storm, the 2 teams coming out in all white and is only the red socks being used to separate the players...I remember for the first time seeing a short magician on the ball, mazy run through 5 players on the edge of the box (a clip used for Sport Sunday for many years after) and hearing the man name Latapy. A young Tobago schoolboy called Yorke coming in as a sub and injecting energy into the team and crowd...And then watching the return game on TV and seeing what Central America looked like for the first time. Hutson Charles scored the goal that got us through onto the final round for the Road to Italy... I was hooked, I thought T&T was the best thing in the world. This was right after the World Cup of '86
and I thought this football thing and T&T was the real deal.

Now 28 years later I watching us play Honduras on TV again with my own son (he way smaller than I was, so no concept of what going on). My father, Rest in Peace, would be cussing and turning in his grave at that display. But at least he was lucky to experience the Germany qualification...

Man is 28 years these Soca Warriors giving me heartache. No wonder why so many T&T fans don't follow the team until the edge of possible success and prefer support European Club teams yes.

And not forgetting your Nov 16 date, I ain't know, November 19 is still the date that resonates more with me..

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 08:24:59 AM »
Boy Palos on this whole reminiscing thing, this week I watching the WCQ vs Honduras, exactly 28 years ago in 1988, my pops take me as a small man to watch my very first national football game. It was in the Oval, playing Honduras in the first leg of the knockout WCQ. I will never forget that experience - the energy of the crowd, people trying to break down the gate and storm, the 2 teams coming out in all white and is only the red socks being used to separate the players...I remember for the first time seeing a short magician on the ball, mazy run through 5 players on the edge of the box (a clip used for Sport Sunday for many years after) and hearing the man name Latapy. A young Tobago schoolboy called Yorke coming in as a sub and injecting energy into the team and crowd...And then watching the return game on TV and seeing what Central America looked like for the first time. Hutson Charles scored the goal that got us through onto the final round for the Road to Italy... I was hooked, I thought T&T was the best thing in the world. This was right after the World Cup of '86
and I thought this football thing and T&T was the real deal.

Now 28 years later I watching us play Honduras on TV again with my own son (he way smaller than I was, so no concept of what going on). My father, Rest in Peace, would be cussing and turning in his grave at that display. But at least he was lucky to experience the Germany qualification...

Man is 28 years these Soca Warriors giving me heartache. No wonder why so many T&T fans don't follow the team until the edge of possible success and prefer support European Club teams yes.

And not forgetting your Nov 16 date, I ain't know, November 19 is still the date that resonates more with me..

That post is eerily similar to my own experiences. From the Honduras game in 88 being my first live game, to watching it with my son on Tuesday. Only thing is my pops still here, thank God.

In 89, during that final round, I made my first national swim team, and got to wear the red blazer and national tie to travel to a regional meet and, as such, I missed the home game against El Salvador when Leo scored the double off the corners. But I came home and just before school started back, we played Guatemala at home, and this was after beating them in their house. My father told me the 'new' thing is that everyone wearing red in the stadium, so we had to get red jerseys. We sat at the bottom of the covered stand and after the morning rain and the afternoon game turned the field into a pigpen, I saw Kerry Jamerson rocket us to victory.

My father then took me to the caribbean U-20 tournament we hosted in early 1991 when we gave Barbados 5 in the final, and Yorke and his crew made the Junior World Cup after going through the CONCACAF round. I am thankful to him for those experiences, because they shaped my patriotism beyond sport. But sport, as a competitor, and as a fan was the conduit through which I found and identified with my being Trinidadian.

Cheers bro.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 08:26:42 AM by Swima »
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 04:40:04 PM »
Nice memories Trini and Swima.  Thanks for the recollections.

I hear Trini on Nov 19 resonating more than Nov 16....which is sad

Seems like that's also the case with the TTFA and the media in general.

Nov 19 1989 was traumatic.  Nov 16 2005 was redemption.  A cleansing. 

11 years later...no mention of that redemption day by the organization that supposed to run and look after the best interests of T&T football.  Not a peep in the media.  And is not like we out of the Hex eh?  We actually in the running for WCQ in Russia and nadas.

But even that glorious day Nov 16 2006 we managed to f**k up by banning the very players that brought such pride and glory to the coountry.

And from then on...it's been all downhill except for a brief respite beginning with the 2014 Gold Cup tournament.  Things actually looking up for T&T football...at least at the senior mens team level.

Then administration change....TTFA under new "leadership"...and it feel like ALL of our national teams lower than the white line in de road.

WE ARE OUR OWN WORST ENEMIES.  We cannot stand or handle anything resembling prosperity.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 04:43:04 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

1]; } ?>