April 24, 2024, 04:55:50 PM

Author Topic: SOCA = SOuthern CAribbean?????  (Read 4944 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
SOCA = SOuthern CAribbean?????
« on: September 06, 2007, 03:08:47 PM »
SoCa = Wha?
By: Caroline Neisha (Caribbean Beat)

Thursday, July 19, 2007

I get nervous about our global village when it comes to "third world" nations. Imperialism of any kind, being from a region that was just so recently colonised (and in parts, still is), makes me very uneasy. I worry for our region and others, whose cultures and artforms can be exoticised, misrepresented, and ultimately, diluted and distorted to the point of painful parody.

And for better or for worse, despite some cautionary tales from the 30s through 60s and an American company patenting the steel pan (at least the recent progress with the G-pan has mitigated that disgrace somewhat), Trinidadian Soca stars are determined to get onto the Billboard charts. Montserratt-born Arrow made a breakthrough with the music in '83 with the now-ubiquitous "Hot Hot Hot". But since then, and particularly in the last decade, there has been a near-stampede to match or exceed that level of success.

I was interested, then, to see a press release I just got from 1720 Entertainment, an Atlanta-based company that's doing the PR for British-born Barbadian singer, Alison Hinds, and her upcoming Soca Queen album. I love the lead single from the album, "Roll it Gyal" (produced by Trini magician, Sheldon "Shel Shok" Benjamin), and a lot of Alison's and Square One's music over the years, so I not disputing her contention for the title despite half a dozen other soca singers who are called "Soca Queen" or "Queen of Soca". But then the hype went somewhere from whence it cannot return. The release states:

Having established superstar status amongst the Caribbean audience, the British born ALISON HINDS is on an unstoppable roll to introduce the rest of the world to the power and passion of SOCA (SOuthern CAribbean) music.

Say wha?

I'd thought Arrow already did that back in the 80s. And I had always believed Soca is a fusion of Soul and Calypso music (hence so-ca), pioneered by Trini legend Garfield Blackman, aka Ras Shorty I, about three decades ago. Thus corrected, I decided to take a look at the page they've made for Alison on their website. The bio begins:

Alison Hinds is to SOCA music what Celia Cruz is to Cuban Salsa.

My mind runs on Calypso Rose, Singing Sandra (Des Vignes), Ella Andall, Denyse Plummer, and then Sanelle Dempster, Fay-Ann Lyons, and Destra.

I worry about the way our music, our people, our artists are represented, misrepresented, or not represented at all in this new push to "globalise" soca. I sure hope they get the record right. (Pun intended)

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: SOCA = SOuthern CAribbean?????
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 11:40:52 PM »
fusion of Soul and Calypso music (hence so-ca)

That is a mis-conception.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 12:14:20 AM »
fusion of Soul and Calypso music (hence so-ca)

That is a mis-conception.

Yes the irony is she got it wrong, too.

Shorty released the song "Soul Calypso Music" in 1973. That song was widely assumed to have given the new genre of soca its name by contributing the first two letters of each of the two genres it mentioned, but Shorty himself explained the term's etymology differently, pointing to the Indian elements of the style. In his version, the syllable "so" came from "calypso" and "ca" from the Indian percussion rhythms he introduced to the music. The word was variously spelled as "solka" or "sokah" on early releases.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 01:05:41 AM »
all of u guys are wrong, is was originally sokah, calypso and kahlinda, atype of classical indian music with a rhythmic beat and melody, shorty combined both and got sokah or soka, now spelt soca...

God is de BOSS.....

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 06:26:01 AM »
According to John Mendes in his compilation "Cote ci Cotel la" a Trinidad and Tobago dictionary,  Soca is a a musical blend of soul / calypso. (2006 Edition)

http://www.cotecicotela.com/

While he does not explicitly say 'Soca' is a contraction of the words Soul and Calypso, the implication is there.

So what is the true origin of the word Soca?  anybody know?
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 06:30:40 AM »
I think that TI knows. ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 06:51:02 AM »
I think that TI knows. ;)

I hope TI doh tink I was ignoring his definition .. .ah jess looking for more opinions  :)

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 08:23:26 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 10:00:03 AM »
So SOCA (or solka) is the So(ul) of Ca(lypso) (according to at least two of the links WC and incorporates Indian rhythm with traditional calypso).

De tings you learn on this forum from TI .. de man right oui!

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 11:23:05 AM »
not only that but he does support he man through thick and thin ;)
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 09:56:02 PM »
Let we call in the expert Socapro.  So doh stand for Soul.  No way...no how.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 10:08:07 PM »
If allyuh recall soem of de first soca songs" lord shorty" were an obvious blend of indian music and calpyso.  Allyuhdidint  learnd at in primary school? i did.. didnt knwo the details till now. but dais de fusion.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 02:41:15 PM »
So SOCA (or solka) is the So(ul) of Ca(lypso) (according to at least two of the links WC and incorporates Indian rhythm with traditional calypso).

TI is right but only partially so

...the fusion wasn't between Calypso and Kahlinda specifically...the 'Kah' is an integral part of most Indian rhythms, not specific to any Indian genre (Kahlinda being just one genre).  In the 'indian musical alphabet'...the Kah is one of the primary movements and it was this element that Shorty (in a very famous interview with Chalkdust) attributed the name to.  His intent wasn't just a musical fusion, but cultural as well, symbolically bridging the divide between Mother Trinidad's two primary populations.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 12:45:07 PM »
i have to give credit to meh father and breddah socapro also, who both enlightened meh on some of these facts at an early age, not to mention my own research which i did myself, sokah was really ther original spelling from what i recall, this is going back years now oui, havent delved into this in a long time, however i doubt i am wrong about it, music is my love....

God is de BOSS....

TrinInfinite

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 12:47:53 PM »

TI is right but only partially so

...the fusion wasn't between Calypso and Kahlinda specifically...the 'Kah' is an integral part of most Indian rhythms, not specific to any Indian genre (Kahlinda being just one genre).  In the 'indian musical alphabet'...the Kah is one of the primary movements and it was this element that Shorty (in a very famous interview with Chalkdust) attributed the name to.  His intent wasn't just a musical fusion, but cultural as well, symbolically bridging the divide between Mother Trinidad's two primary populations.

if you are well versed in music and have good ear, you could hear the indian and african mix of drumming, fellahs like dr.jay and so on dont even know these facts, dr.jay the dj from toronto once said it was faster calypso, many djs are dumbfounded when it comes to speaking about the music, no wonder they playing and promoting so much garbage music these days from tt..

God is de BOSS....

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 12:22:00 AM »
Why yuh bring Dr. Jay in dis?  He's a cool fellah...not even born in Trini.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 02:49:42 PM »
Bump!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>