March 28, 2024, 12:06:26 PM

Author Topic: Local Elections Results Thread  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Local Elections Results Thread
« on: November 29, 2016, 08:31:19 AM »
Trinidad and Tobago 2016 Local Gov elections results

See it here

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 01:16:20 PM by Flex »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Local Elections Results
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 08:33:21 AM »

TIGHT WIN *
PNM grabs local government elections; UNC gains one corporation

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20161129/news/lowest-voter-turnout-on-record

THE People's National Movement (PNM) won 83 of the 137 seats in the local government elections, against the United National Congress' (UNC) 54.

In terms of control of the 14 corporations, the PNM won seven, the UNC six, with a four-four tie in the Sangre Grande Regional Corporation.

“That is licking,” PNM chairman Franklin Khan declared at Balisier House, Port of Spain, last night. “As we promised Kamla Persad-Bissessar eight consecutive lickings, we have delivered.”

However, the fact that the UNC won the popular vote from the preliminary count means that the PNM and its leader, Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley's vow on Sunday to wipe out UNC political leader Persad-Bissessar, beating her in every corner of the country, fell short.

The result means that the UNC increased the number of seats it won across the board, from 46 seats in the last local government election (2013) to 54 seats.

The PNM, which had won 84 seats in 2013, had a net loss of one seat.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 08:34:01 AM »

Everyone keep in mind this has been the lowest voter turn out in election history in T&T ! hmmm

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 12:31:28 PM »

Everyone keep in mind this has been the lowest voter turn out in election history in T&T ! hmmm
Still austerity measures doh win popularity contests......and Colm stupidly taking every opportunity to show his ass in the last weeks didn' help d pnm.

Yuh can't be an ass to people when yuh askin dem to carry more load.....especially when d people like freeness as much as we do

I don't appreciate d 7% levy online shopping, it just feels like aiding and abetting d price gouging situation in d local consumer market, especially when yuh consider dat local merchants import also.

Sent from my SM-J105B using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:35:59 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »

Still austerity measures doh win popularity contests......and Colm stupidly taking every opportunity to show his ass in the last weeks didn' help d pnm.

Yuh can't be an ass to people when yuh askin dem to carry more load.....especially when d people like freeness as much as we do

I don't appreciate d 7% levy online shopping, it just feels like aiding and abetting d price gouging situation in d local consumer market, especially when yuh consider dat local merchants import also.

On the online levy... What u suggest to curb trade deficit/ shortage of US$?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 11:59:45 AM »

On the online levy... What u suggest to curb trade deficit/ shortage of US$?
Kounty, d net effect of d levy will not be d halting of forex leakage in any real way nor will it push consumer spending back into the local market.........we have a serious price demand disparity in our economy and helping merchants to "compete'' will only perpetuate that

I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 04:49:12 PM »
Is just another tax our govt has been creative in taxes. Road tax and Health Surcharge are examples.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 05:37:30 PM »
Right..a couple things:

One..people eat the chain up again about "low voter turnout". It was about 34% which is as per normal for LGE.

Two...UNC win the popular vote. However all the UNC corporations had turnouts of approx 40% as compared to the others which averaged below that and they only won the popular vote by 6000. Seems like the base was especially energized.

Three...Seems like representation doesnt matter...cause Terry Rondon has been a very active..visible and involved CEO for Sangre Grande and that moved from a clear PNM corporation to a tie. Interesting.

Four....we forgetting that the last LGE there was a difference...the ILP had a following....so...consider the results with that context.

Five...all the issues with austerity etc would never be solved from a LGE....it may affect sentiment...but anybody knowing the system should know that shouldnt matter. The issue of actually localizing what a community can do for itself through its representative or councilor should have been the focus.

Now..with the FOREX issue.

Trinis complain about a lack of availability of foreign exchange. When oil prices and oil production low..which is one way the supply affected. Not to mention the "dirty float" that is maintained. However if market forces were allowed to dictate...the ripple effects of that float would be ridiculous. But...we complain about no foreign exchange being available...yet every day..especially on weekends...Pricemart full....people rushing starbucks...and people prime up and waiting for Black Friday sale. Buying local eh a matter of buying it here. Francis fashion and all the other greed merchants eh doing anything that the average man cant do...just their volume is different.  Buying local means that all the things we consume should be produced here to keep our local economy going. But no of course we dont see it like that. We dont produce certain things here naturally..but the things that have local equivalents..why not support that? Especially given the fact that from all FOREX available..the first thing that needs to be reconciled is credit card payments.

The tax matter is simply a lazy way to generate revenue...more like a nuisance tax. If (as is usually the case) the local businessman has too high a markup..that 7% eh going and discourage you from purchasing it from online yourself anyhow...cause you still getting it cheaper. So the hue and cry about how its pandering to business interests etc is foolishness. Yuh know what else is foolishness? When the state of Florida...where the gross majority of skybox companies and freight companies operate out of...implemented a 9% sales tax for the simple reason that they realised they could raise revenue from it due to their strategic location. Yet locally..nobody made a fuss..and happily paying the tax that benefiting another country and doing nothing for them locally. But....7% to do something here? Of course nobody wants to do that.

We really a ridiculous place yes.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 05:23:29 AM »
Bourbon my gripe has more to with the cynical nature of the tax rather than the tax itself, remember I  work tax and save the gov't thousands of dollars in unjustified refunds every month, and even so I  find cynically implemented taxes to be irksome, not just because is money out my pocket, but it also falls against the backdrop of a tax system that actively forgo billions in potential revenues from self employed to d point that most are ignorant or feign ignorance of the fact that they too are liable to pay their fair share of taxes.....in fact as it stands self employed will only seek to be enter the system if they bid for contracts or gain clients that require invoices to justify their deductible. It have money in the system that can be leveraged, how about working towards that in the short to medium term......foot jus draggin dey

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 06:11:03 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 09:06:57 AM »
........AND we also have immigrant chinese businesses drainin we dry while actively evading tax aaaaaannnnnddd running illegal ple whe betting schemes on top of d evasion.

I pity the fool....

1]; } ?>