April 19, 2024, 04:22:51 PM

Author Topic: Tom Saintfiet Thread  (Read 49340 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tom Saintfiet Thread
« on: December 06, 2016, 06:49:16 PM »
TTFA set to appoint obscure Belgian; ex-Bangladesh coach asked to take T&T to World Cup
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868.com)

The coach entrusted with taking Trinidad and Tobago to the Russia 2018 World Cup is not coming from South America. His last job was in Bangladesh!

In a bizarre turn of events, Wired868 understands that Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president David John-Williams is set to name 43-year-old Belgian Tom Saintfiet as head coach of the Soca Warriors at a 9am press conference tomorrow at the Marriot Hotel in Port of Spain.

So, effectively, the local football body’s idea of an upgrade on outgoing coach Stephen Hart appears to be an obscure Belgian who has never coached professionally in Europe, was kicked out of Zimbabwe and Nigeria due to concerns about his quality, lasted six months in Yemen, only two matches in Tanzania and just left a team ranked 183 in the world by FIFA—which is 105 spots lower than Trinidad and Tobago, who are 78th.

Saintfiet’s best spell arguably came at youth level when he led Qatar to the 2005 FIFA Under-17 World Cup, which was that nation’s fifth appearance at that age group competition.

His record as a senior coach is much less impressive.

At Namibia, he enjoyed his longest appointment of nearly two years. The unheralded African nation was ranked 126 in the world when the Belgian landed and he took them to a high of 101, although they plummeted all the way to 128 by the time of his controversial departure in 2010.

Saintfiet stunned his Namibia FA employers when he was officially unveiled as head coach of Zimbabwe while in the midst of a four-year contract with the former nation.

Saintfiet was reportedly wooed by Zimbabwe’s offer of US$7,000 per month, which is less than half of Hart’s pay package and roughly one tenth of the market value for a top level coach in CONCACAF—recently departed Jamaica coach Winfried Schafer was supposedly paid in excess of US$50,000 per month.

The Belgian quickly regretted his move. The Zimbabwe government twice refused its FA’s applications for his work permit—amidst a public outcry that he was no better than the local, Norman Mapeza, he replaced—and Saintfiet was forced to leave the country and beg for his old job back.

“[The Zimbabwe FA] promised me that they will talk to the NFA and it was supposed to happen sooner than it did,” Saintfiet was quoted in the Namibia Sun. “The situation forced me to lie and for that I have to say sorry to the Namibian football-loving people, the NFA and the players as well…

“We signed a contract […] and because I terminated it I have to pay them and I’m doing everything I can so that can be done. What happened was so wrong and I would love to come back and coach Namibia again.”

The Namibia FA did not take him up on the offer.

From then on, Saintfiet lasted six games in Ethiopia and barely four months as Nigeria technical director—allegedly because the Nigeria Ministry of Sport felt the country had many more competent locals and refused to support the move.

Next, he spent two months at Malawi and less than a year at Togo along with some largely anonymous stints at the odd African football club—he lasted just two games at Tanzanian club, Young Africans FC, where he was accused of failing to enforce discipline.

In April 2016, Saintfiet pleaded for a second chance as Ethiopia National Senior Team coach.

“I don’t care about the money or a contract,” Saintfiet told Eithosports. “I would just like to help change fortunes and start to build things up on a solid foundation. I’m ready to start immediately!”

Ethiopia did not bite and he ended up in a three-month contract from Bangladesh instead.

So, while Hart was preparing the Warriors—who were unbeaten at the time—to seal their place in the CONCACAF Hex against Guatemala, Saintfiet was attempting to take the “Bengal Tigers” past Bhutan and into the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Cup.

Bangladesh drew goalless at home to Bhutan before falling 3-1 away.  The only other outing of Saintfiet’s tenure as Bangladesh coach was a 5-0 friendly defeat away to the Maldives.

Bhutan and the Maldives are ranked 154 and 176 in the world respectively.

Saintfiet’s record in Europe is even less illustrious. The only fully professional team on his home continent to ever hire the Belgian was Finnish club RoPS, who once employed Trinidad and Tobago players Ataulla Guerra and Jamal Gay.

RoPS sacked Saintfiet during their pre-season in April 2008.

Somehow, the obscure Belgian’s CV ended up on the desk of the TTFA’s technical committee as a possible replacement for Hart, who was twice listed on a CONCACAF Coach for Year shortlist in the last years, is the only coach to take Trinidad and Tobago to two Gold Cup quarterfinal berths and led Canada to the 2008 Gold Cup semifinal.

On Monday night, the TTFA’s board of directors selected him as their next head coach, as he beat out competition that included Colombian Luis Fernando Suarez, who took Ecuador to the second round of the Germany 2006 World Cup and steered Honduras to the Brazil 2014 World Cup.

Former Trinidad and Tobago captain David Nakhid was the only local believed to have applied for the vacant job while Englishmen Terry Fenwick and Ricky Hill, Serbian Zoran Vranes and Colombian Francisco Maturana were said to be among the applicants.

The board, according to a source, was informed that Saintfiet was bright, innovative and extremely affordable. It is uncertain exactly how much information was given on the three coaches before the decision. But, in the end, the board voted for Saintfiet.

The current TTFA board of directors comprises: John-Williams (president), Joanne Salazar, Ewing Davis and Allan Warner (vice-presidents), Samuel Saunders (Central FA), Sherwyn Dyer (Eastern Counties Football Union), Karanjabari Williams (Northern FA), Richard Quan Chan (Southern FA), Anthony Moore (Tobago FA), Joseph Taylor (Trinidad and Tobago Football Referees Association), Sharon O’Brien (Women’s League Football), Wayne Cunningham (Eastern FA) and Dexter Skeene (TT Pro League).

The TTFA technical committee consists of: Skeene (chairman), Dr Alvin Henderson (vice-chairman), Bertille St Clair (former World Youth Cup coach), Errol Lovell (former national goalkeeper), Jinelle James (ex-national player and current administrator) and Muhammad Isa (technical director).

It is uncertain how many members attended yesterday board’s meeting.

The TTFA board is believed to have made a second coaching appointment last night for the Women’s National Senior Team. In this case, they voted for the well qualified former Italy and Canada national women’s coach, Carolina Morace, who has already visited Trinidad.

Saintfiet must now prepare the Warriors for 2017 Gold Cup play off action against Suriname and Haiti on 4 and 8 January 2017 respectively as well as World Cup qualifying action against Panama and Mexico on 24 and 28 March respectively.

It will be the first time the Belgian has ever coached a team ranked in the top 100 FIFA nations in the world.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:03:09 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TTFA set to appoint obscure Belgian; ex-Bangladesh coach
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 06:56:26 PM »
 :banginghead: :banginghead: :banginghead: :banginghead: :banginghead: :banginghead:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 07:01:39 PM »
Whewww...well atleast the last 2 years of football was exciting...
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 07:02:09 PM »
DJW on rel shit
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 07:08:56 PM »
Jeez an ages........ :frustrated:
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 07:11:09 PM »
This is bizarre! This is not the time to give someone a boost to their CV. We need someone who can hit the ground running in Concacaf.
Who recommended this fella? By what measure is he expected to be able to help us?

On another note the article say Pacho wanted back in.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 07:12:28 PM »
You get what you can afford.

And if the last coaching staff was anything to go by, this Saintfiet fella mus be doh care if he gettin pay

Now....Lasana will look pretty bad if DJW does NOT name this guy as head coach tomorrow.  We won't have long to wait. 

Maybe Saintfiet agree to use W Connection players exclusively for the national team and his salary will be a cut of any transfer fees players get if signed by foreign (belgian) clubs.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:21:03 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 07:16:28 PM »
conspiracy theory:dey probably find out who Lasana informant is and tell him give Lasana dat to hold, just to set him up
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:54:53 PM by royal »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 07:25:50 PM »
RoPs

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 07:30:13 PM »
Wtf am I reading here? This is from late o' clock news?

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 07:43:24 PM »
I hope this is what Royal talking about. If not, WE F00KING DOOMED...

Is there a way to get DJW removed? There must be something the TTFA stakeholders can do. But then again they might be all DJW's buddies..

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 07:44:29 PM »
If this is true:

David john and his cabal will run the team silently through this figure head coach who will have zero power, so David john was sent in to destabilize the Trinidad team, fire hart and make sure Trinidad does not qualify for the World Cup ... I've been saying this from day one

And if we qualify by some miracle, David john will appoint a new coach and look like a saviour... David can't manipulate results with Hart pushing to win...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:46:22 PM by Controversial »

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 07:47:09 PM »
Well this one take the cake.....
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 07:49:53 PM »
If this is true:

David john and his cabal will run the team silently through this figure head coach who will have zero power, so David john was sent in to destabilize the Trinidad team, fire hart and make sure Trinidad does not qualify for the World Cup ... I've been saying this from day one

And if we qualify by some miracle, David john will appoint a new coach and look like a saviour... David can't manipulate results with Hart pushing to win...

What will it take for DJW to go? That's what we all want to know

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 07:50:17 PM »

Is there a way to get DJW removed? There must be something the TTFA stakeholders can do. But then again they might be all DJW's buddies..

Under the constitution he must serve his 4 years unless the committee vote him out but that is highly unlikely as he has their support..

The corruption knows no bounds, like I said they don't love our nation or our football, it was sabotage from the beginning

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 07:54:13 PM »

Under the constitution he must serve his 4 years unless the committee vote him out but that is highly unlikely as he has their support..

The corruption knows no bounds, like I said they don't love our nation or our football, it was sabotage from the beginning

So who are these committee members/green brains?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 07:54:19 PM »
If this is true:

If he is found to be conducting illegal activities he can be removed, if the committee of ttfa votes for his removal based on irregularities, improper use of funds or he violates the constitution, so far he hasn't done anything outlandish to be voted out...

Public pressure and the press needs to lambast him and the admin in order for supporters he has surrounding him to have no choice but to vote him out, I need to review the constitution again to see the ways it can happen..in more detail

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 07:56:44 PM »
If this is true:

If he is found to be conducting illegal activities he can be removed, if the committee of ttfa votes for his removal based on irregularities, improper use of funds or he violates the constitution, so far he hasn't done anything outlandish to be voted out...

Public pressure and the press needs to lambast him and the admin in order for supporters he has surrounding him to have no choice but to vote him out, I need to review the constitution again to see the ways it can happen..in more detail

Okay. So there might be a "glimmer" of a glimmer of hope.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 07:56:57 PM »
Even if its a function of cost, this cannot be the best option.

The local media will take the FA to task on this.

They were very quick to eliminate a number of persons. How did Saintfiet even make the short list of 3.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 08:01:31 PM »
Yes. There must be something in the constitution to prevent a president from appointing just anyone.. who can blow a whistle, to the coaching position.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 08:16:13 PM »
Yes. There must be something in the constitution to prevent a president from appointing just anyone.. who can blow a whistle, to the coaching position.

AT the general meeting, the board of directors can suspend a member with two thirds of the vote for a violation, I'm assuming David john controls 2/3 of the vote currently...

Expulsion is as follows:

The General Meeting may expel a Member if:
a)   it fails to fulfil its financial obligations towards TTFA;
b)   it seriously violates the Statutes, regulations, directives or decisions of FIFA, CONCACAF, CFU and TTFA;
c)   it brings a dispute to an Ordinary Court, except in cases where the FIFA, CONCACAF or TTFA regulations or binding legal provisions specifically provide for or stipulate recourse to Ordinary Courts;

2   The presence of a majority (more than 50%) of the Members eligible to vote is necessary for an expulsion to be valid, and the motion for expulsion must be adopted by a three-quarter majority of the valid votes cast.

The general meeting is the supreme legislative body, with the bod being the executive body, maximum delegates of 56:

)    TT Pro League clubs    10 delegates
b)   National Super League clubs   15 delegates
c)   For the Regional Associations
-   Central FA    3 delegates
-   Eastern FA   3 delegates
-   Eastern Counties Football Union   3 delegates
-   Northern FA   3 delegates
-   Southern FA   3 delegates
-   Tobago FA   3 delegates
d)   Women Association    2 delegates
e)   Referees Association   2 delegates
f)   Futsal Association of T&T (FATT)   2 delegates
g)   Youth Association Primary Schools League     1 delegate
h)    Secondary School Football League                     1 delegate
i)      TTAYSO                                                                      1 delegate
h)   Players Association   1 delegate
i)   Coaches Association   1 delegate
j)   T&T Beach Soccer Association   1 delegate
k)   Veteran Players Association   1 delegate

2   Each Delegate shall have one (1) vote in the General Meeting. Only the Delegates present are entitled to vote. Voting by proxy or by letter is not permitted.

3   Delegates must belong to the Member that they represent and be appointed or elected by the appropriate body of that Member. They must also be able to produce evidence of this upon request.

4   The Board of Directors and the General Secretary shall take part in the General Meeting without voting rights. During their terms of office, members of the Board of Directors may not be appointed as delegates of a Member.

The bod consists of:

The Board of Directors consists of 13 members. The members of the Board of Directors are:
-   1 President
-    3 Vice-Presidents
-   2 ordinary members

-   1 member representing each of the following Regional Associations (total 6 members):
-   Central FA
-   Eastern FA
-   Eastern Counties Football Union
-   Northern FA
-   Southern FA
-   Tobago FA
-   1 member representing the Pro League
-   1 female member representing the Women Association
-   1 member representing the Player Association

Decisions

1   The Board of Directors shall not engage in valid debate unless 50% of its members are present.

2   The Board of Directors shall reach decisions by a majority (more than 50%) of the valid votes cast. In the event of a tied vote, the President shall have the casting vote. Voting by proxy or by letter is not permitted.

3   Any Member of the Board of Directors must withdraw from the debate and from taking a decision if there is any risk or possibility of a conflict of interests

4   The decisions taken shall be recorded in the minutes.

5   The decisions taken by the Board of Directors shall come into effect immediately, unless the Board of Directors decides otherwise.

The ruby Tuesday meeting was really a Kangaroo Court, however, the bod have the power to make the final decision and are within their rights to fire Hart, you see the whole local body of our football is corrupt and they chose someone that can rep them, David john is an extension of the heads of football in Trinidad..

Now that Hart is gone they will run it as they please with a puppet in the position of the head coach, fevrier and David will coach the team silently and that is why they appointed this no name coach.. to have supreme power

The composition of votes and who are the heads was a point I brought up years ago, as they hold the power to appoint, we need people who think like us as heads that have the vote in order to prevent guys like David from taking over

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:19:25 PM by Controversial »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 08:32:20 PM »
Here is my issue with the constitution that I pointed out from the very beginning and a few on here argued with me but look at the result now:

Any candidate that wishes to become a member of the Board of Directors shall fulfil the following eligibility criteria:

-   Candidates shall have been active in football for at least three years during the five years preceding the election. This activity must have been performed in a managerial or a similar position in the territory of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago . ?????
-   Candidates may not have previously been found guilty of an indictable offence.
-   Candidates shall be nationals of and shall have permanent residence in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago.
-   Candidatures for the office of President, Vice-President and ordinary member of the Board of Directors shall be supported by at least one Member. Candidatures for the other positions of the Board of Directors shall be proposed by the Member they represent.
-   The candidate for the office of member representing the Women Association must be female.

The above are not necessary, any national whether they have residence in Trinidad or elsewhere should be eligible and football activities should not be limited to Trinidad.. that's just plain ridiculous .... those rules have now created the monster we have to deal with now..

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 09:20:30 PM »
I hear they are about to hire a Piper Coach to lead us to Russia.
 Did some one forget to take their meds. If what I am reading is true about this man's CV and tract record , we need to protest and trouble the waters and boycott and lobby players to refuse this shameful appointment. Friends not to decide is in truth to decide  and the evil in this world is when good knowledgeable men in this Forum remain silent in the face of injustice . those who sit on the fence in this modern world would get electrocuted. Listen I have prayed too hard and for too long to have a few men destroy not only my national team but my country. Because the only thing that unites us at the moment is our Football team and Hart showed us some light amidst the darkness.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 09:31:11 PM »
The man is alleged to have offered to work for free for Ethiopia.

Imagine what he offer we!! He might be paying we to pad he resume.

Genius move by DJW. We go pay off all debts by June  :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 09:31:47 PM »
you'll sure he could get a work permit?

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 09:44:19 PM »
We can't be serious here :cursing: best we have a public outcry like the people of Zimbabwe, it worked for them. Imagine de man got fired from a club after 2 days because they accused him of not enforcing discipline, thank god we don't have indiscipline amongst our team.
Lasana ah feel you punking we here, all fools day?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2016, 10:01:08 PM »
We can't be serious here :cursing: best we have a public outcry like the people of Zimbabwe, it worked for them. Imagine de man got fired from a club after 2 days because they accused him of not enforcing discipline, thank god we don't have indiscipline amongst our team.

Public outcry?

The only time trinis will have a public outcry/protest is if they ban carnival
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2016, 10:06:31 PM »

Public outcry?

The only time trinis will have a public outcry/protest is if they ban carnival
Lmao I know dat ain happening. Boat cruise jammers on de road (sea) to Russia.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2016, 10:11:44 PM »

Photo: Soca Warriors new head coach Tom Saintfiet reacts to receiving his negotiated pay packet, a giant hamburger. TTFA president David John-Williams can be seen lurking in the background
(Courtesy Reuters)
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2016, 10:33:11 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

1]; } ?>