March 28, 2024, 06:13:46 AM

Author Topic: Tom Saintfiet Thread  (Read 48624 times)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TTFA set to appoint obscure Belgian; ex-Bangladesh coach
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2016, 11:42:20 PM »
So we get a coach from Dollar Rescue?

Well ....we cant be angry if we get what we pay for.

It damn good for we.

Yuh just date yuhself. B yuh old

I hear that all the time.

I just grow up around "mature" people.....so it does have moments like dat.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2016, 11:55:57 PM »
A cursory investigation shows that over his last four coaching assignments in charge of national teams, Saintfiet was in charge of 28 international matches, winning 3, losing 22, and drawing 3:

Bangladesh (3 months, 3 matches, 0 wins, 2 losses, 1 draw)
Togo (1 year, 9 matches, 2 wins, 5 losses, 2 draws)
Malawi (3 months, 5 matches, 1 win, 4 losses, 0 draws)
Yemen (6 months, 11 matches, 0 wins, 11 losses, 0 draws)
Unbelievable. SH got fired for results this year, DJW said in this business results matter but it clearly doesn't in this case.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2016, 01:23:15 AM »
A cursory investigation shows that over his last four coaching assignments in charge of national teams, Saintfiet was in charge of 28 international matches, winning 3, losing 22, and drawing 3:

Bangladesh (3 months, 3 matches, 0 wins, 2 losses, 1 draw)
Togo (1 year, 9 matches, 2 wins, 5 losses, 2 draws)
Malawi (3 months, 5 matches, 1 win, 4 losses, 0 draws)
Yemen (6 months, 11 matches, 0 wins, 11 losses, 0 draws)
Unbelievable. SH got fired for results this year, DJW said in this business results matter but it clearly doesn't in this case.

A good question for Lasana to ask DJW.

Lasana....fall een!
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2016, 02:06:14 AM »
I go away to look after my newborn baby and this utter stupidity occurs? What the hell is all this utter stupidity? I thought DJW was a competent administrator? What the absolute arse is this?

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2016, 02:45:15 AM »
Tbh he did talk a good talk. He did his research on the players, their mentality,  the football culture, team and country. As much as I hated to see Hart go, I have to support my team and my country.
Well...  Mr. Saintfiet is our new coach, nothing anyone one of us can do about it other than support him...so...best of luck coach!

What????? to support this crap is to support the TTFA
Were any of these decisions made in the interest of Trinidad and Tobago's football?????
We had two proven coaches running both the Men's and Women's program.Instead we have an unknown with the Women's Program and a man who wouldn't even be hired to coach in the Proleague.
Plus we have a Terrorist running football affairs...what position is that....was that Board approved?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:47:09 AM by MEP »

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2016, 03:33:31 AM »
Tbh he did talk a good talk. He did his research on the players, their mentality,  the football culture, team and country. As much as I hated to see Hart go, I have to support my team and my country.
Well...  Mr. Saintfiet is our new coach, nothing anyone one of us can do about it other than support him...so...best of luck coach!

Were any of these decisions made in the interest of Trinidad and Tobago's football?????
We had two proven coaches running both the Men's and Women's program.Instead we have an unknown with the Women's Program and a man who wouldn't even be hired to coach in the Proleague.
Plus we have a Terrorist running football affairs...what position is that....was that Board approved?

Point being...hope for the best...everything done happen...what can we do???
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2016, 03:42:45 AM »
I don't how you interpreted I supporting crap from what I said. I'll make it more clear for you now. I do NOT support DJW and his treatment of Hart from his appointment as President to Hart's firing. However what is done is done and my team and country are of paramount importance,  so I'm willing to put all this aside for the love of both.

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2016, 04:01:46 AM »
If this is results oriented as the President said..if the new guy does not get it done
The Pres and his administration step down with immediate effect ..

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Tom Saintfiet Thread
« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2016, 04:07:38 AM »
Rel kicks yes...asylumseeker better than DJW...atleast he give de man ah Bligh...til the 28th...you beat him back in truth...

I can't imagine the pressure this fellas under yea...I optimistically await these 2 GC games...see what he does...any friendlies in the works??
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 08, 2016, 05:16:34 AM »
When I looked at the places he coached my first thoughts were,he must have worked under difficult conditions which led to bad results.I would not write him off too quickly because TT is a much better place for him,his experience should be good for TT,regardless of what he achieved in some of those countries.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2016, 05:57:13 AM »
WATCH: Saintfiet faces the media

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/iqoTkWCWQDc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/iqoTkWCWQDc</a>

WATCH: Maylee Attin-Johnson, Shaka Hislop, and Brent Sancho give their thoughts on the hiring of Tom Saintfiet

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4-E6NT42l84" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4-E6NT42l84</a>
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 06:01:41 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2016, 06:29:37 AM »
Coach ...

P.S.

If you get invited to Ruby Tuesday, don't go smiling.

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2016, 06:38:40 AM »
This man under no pressure, he comfortable with getting fired, he expects to get fired. He knows that he is not qualified, he knows he is a joke,  so the joke is really on us, TNT.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2016, 06:45:37 AM »
DJW say the man wasn't we first choice but he affordable.

He claimed Phillipe Troussier was the first choice but cost too much

Well at least he is being "honest" about why he picked the Belgian.

Anything to back yuh Prezi eh?

I respect your loyalty  :)

Palos, I am not a fan of DJW. I gave him the benefit of the doubt when he got elected. He is a successful businessman and runs one of the best clubs, if not the best club in the island. But after his moves, I and the vast majority on the forum had buyers remorse. He is not my president. I was always in Hart's corner. I always say that the federation was not helping Hart enough. especially with friendlies when we had a break. Go and check all my post. When I say DJW was being honest, you see I put quotes on the word honest. I was being sarcastic. We don't know this coach, and quite rightly, after reading his CV, we are up in arms. This not the first time TTFA has done something like this. In 73 they hired an unknown Englishman named Kevin Durity, who almost took the team to the 74 WC. Did Liverpool or Manu hired Kevin after his near success?

And in 2006 they hired Beenhaker. But unlike Verity and Saintfeit, he had serious reputation. Not much people in TT knew about Beenie. But he succeeded. So DJW is on course with coaching decisions made by previous administrations. I don't like it. He has to prove us wrong.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 06:47:49 AM by Deeks »

Offline MilkyX

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2016, 06:54:14 AM »
Just when you think the TTFA couldn't sink any lower, they keep reminding us just how incompitent they really are. You hire a coach LESS qualified than Hart and expect BETTER results! What Alice in wonderland madness is that! And you also blow the opportunity to get Phillipe Omar Troussier because what? He too expensive? That's the excuse so you can hire this lacky? If this guy could be head coach, so could I. You know what, I believe when a TTFA president hire a coach and the coach gets fired after less than four games in charge, the TTFA President should be fired as well. See you next four years ppl, cause this campaign is over.
Only the humble can be truly great!

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2016, 07:38:06 AM »
so why is T&T appointment so much different to the US and we're in the same position? Someone with no knowledge of TT football compared with someone very familiar with US Soccer     

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 08, 2016, 08:03:02 AM »
This man under no pressure, he comfortable with getting fired, he expects to get fired. He knows that he is not qualified, he knows he is a joke,  so the joke is really on us, TNT.

Not to mention he getting a pay check. He probably can't believe his good fortune, the man try ah ting and get thru. We probably paying more than Bangladesh too.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2016, 08:12:06 AM »
2011? Huh, so his name was tossed into consideration as replacement for Russell. Pfister followed Latas. Very, very telling.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2016, 09:29:48 AM »
WATCH: Saintfiet faces the media
WATCH: Maylee Attin-Johnson, Shaka Hislop, and Brent Sancho give their thoughts on the hiring of Tom Saintfiet
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4-E6NT42l84" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4-E6NT42l84</a>
Thank you Maylee, Shaka and Brent you guys spoke some sense. I too thought it was surprising DJW said if Saintfiet doesn't get the job done in March he's out. Even if those were the conditions and the terms discussed, you cyar introduce the man like that to the media and public at large. Other coaches might've walked out.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2016, 09:54:44 AM »

Carolina Morace might be unknown to you but she is no unknown in women's soccer. Gih Jack he jacket, we should actually be applauding TTFA for this appointment. Hope they actually support the program and not eff it up like they did for Hart and Waldrum!
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2016, 10:00:04 AM »
DJW letting the man know up front the kinda cacahole he is. What a disrespectful way to introduce a new hire.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2016, 10:22:59 AM »
DJW letting the man know up front the kinda cacahole he is. What a disrespectful way to introduce a new hire.

this dude worked for zimbabwe. i'll bet he's heard worse.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 08, 2016, 10:38:51 AM »

this dude worked for zimbabwe. i'll bet he's heard worse.

Here's hoping his history of working in politically-charged circumstances that are volatile, dotted with ineptitude, self-dealing, unkept commitments and high levels of bullshit, serves him well on this job.

In Bangladesh he got pissed off when five NT players were given permission by the team manager to not attend NT practice, against his knowledge and without his agreement.

Unlike Wim, he won't be ill-prepared for f**kery. But, like Wim, he might join the queue of TTFA creditors.

How much is he being paid anyway? Have not seen or heard the figure.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
SAINTFIET ...Journeyman coach warned win or be fired
« Reply #143 on: December 08, 2016, 10:42:25 AM »
SAINTFIET ...Journeyman coach warned win or be fired
T&T Guardian

Belgian Tom Saintfiet is the new football coach of T&T.

He was unveiled to the media at a press conference at the Hotel Marriot yesterday morning, effectively replacing Stephen Hart in the country’s bid to qualify for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

The little-known Saintfiet who has had short stints with the Bangladesh and Togo national teams earlier this year, as well as Malawi in 2013, Nigeria in 2012; Ethiopia in 2011; Zimbabwe; Namibia in 2008-2010 and Qatar u-17s, was a last choice to Frenchman Phillippe Troussier who proved to be too costly, while Colombian Luis Fernando Suarez and Ecuadorian Eduardo Lara- were both overlooked due to their inability to speak english.

Saintfiet was snapped up as he fitted into the T&T Football Association’s limited budget situation and his contract which contains a clause that would see him being put back on the breadline if the Soca Warriors lose their next two matches against Panama and Honduras at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in March.

President of the TTFA David John-Williams, in introducing the coach, told the audience that football and professional football is a brutal game, noting that World Cup qualifying is about results and getting to the World Cup. “If the results don’t go your way you have to do something different.”

A crassy John-Williams later warned Saintfiet in front of the media saying - “that should he not get the results on March 24th and 28th that he too will be looking for a job.”

The Belgian responded with a chuckle which John-Williams acknowledged before emphasising his point, saying: “He is laughing but we are very serious, because if we don’t get the results on the 24th and 28th of March, we might as well kiss our campaign goodbye.”

Saintfiet who appeared unfazed by the warning said he was elated to have been chosen to coach the twin-island republic, describing TT as a football loving nation which after many attempts, had finally qualified for the World Cup in 2006.

He immediately attempted to protect his reputation from an online report, saying he is a holder of a pro license and was never fired from any federation where he worked.

“I worked many times on short-term deals, sometimes on very difficult missions and most times I brought it to good results.

“I worked also for at club level on different continents in Africa and Europe and Asia.” As a coach Saintfiet said he was recruited at the helm of the national team because he wants to go to the World Cup which is also why he was very close to signing for Nigeria earlier this year, noting his ambitions are not driven by money but by achieving the highest and going to the World Cup.

According to Saintfiet “I believe this dream is possible. Two games have been played, we are fifth position and we need to be in the top three or if needed the fourth position to take us to the play-off.”

The Belgian said he is here, not to do the job alone, saying there are lots of good local coaches and technical team of people who know the league better than him and know the mentality of the players and his aim is to work, not only with his technical team, but also with the local coaches and hear there vision, opinions and ideas.

He noted that he will introduce some new tactics to ensure the team gets the results necessary.

To help the coach John-Williams revealed he is in search of two friendly matches for the team to be played this month, saying he has already spoken to Jamaica which have expressed an interest, and he will also look at Bolivia.

Meanwhile the local football boss revealed that Jamal Shabazz was appointed head coordinator of all football programmes of the TTFA and officially introduced Justin Latapy-George as the new General Secretary.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2016, 10:43:05 AM »
Makes no sense ...Former coaches give a thumbs down to TTFA's choice for Head Coach
By Mark Pouchet (T&T Express)

Former national coaches Alvin Corneal and Everald “Gally” Cummings have rubbished the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) latest head coach selection, calling it “disrespectful” to the entire country and saying the decision just didn’t make sense.

Yesterday, TTFA president David John-Williams announced the hiring of Belgium-born Tom Saintfiet, a coach with a plethora of short-term employment stints with low-level football-playing countries.

His last job was with the 187th-ranked Bangladesh team.

“I am not in agreement with having a foreign coach at this time simply because it is an exercise in futility. Foreign coaches can’t walk in here and pick up national players and get them to gel as a team, especially when you don’t have a lot of time,” Corneal said, adding that a coach whose previous assignment was with Bangladesh, makes the selection even more questionable.

“Why are you burdening us with him and you don’t even know him. know anything about (him),” Corneal said. “It is unfair and a disrespect to our local coaches. That is my biggest problem because I feel it for the young coaches who are aspiring to the national level, you not even recognising them but bringing somebody who has no track record of note.”

Corneal, who said he is still smarting from the disrespect shown to dismissed coach Stephen Hart, said the TTFA is “throwing good money at a bad deal” with this latest appointment.
“If we are realistic we would get one or two good local coaches and get the training going. If it (the World Cup campaign) doesn’t succeed, at least we know we will have players mostly between the ages 23-27 trained properly. They would have trained a few months together, played two CFU matches and eight international matches which could form the foundation of the 2022 campaign.”

He added: “This right now is a no-win situation. I am disappointed because the people who are making these decisions, I am not sure they are qualified to make them. I mean no disrespect to any of them but if you take the responsibility of finding a national coach for our country, my God, you got to know something about it,” Corneal said.

“It is even disrespect to the man that is coming. We must not let the TTFA get away with that or else they will take our football down the drain, it doesn’t make good sense.”

Coach of the famed “Strike Squad,” Everald “Gally” Cummings said: “I don’t know the coach. I never heard about him, I don’t like to bad-talk other coaches because as coaches, we are supposed to respect each other but his track record seems thin.”

Cummings instead questioned the TTFA decision-makers’ judgement.

“My opinion is they don’t know what they doing. I don’t think the TTFA presently have the technical ability or expertise to understand what they are looking for when they are looking for a coach,” Cummings said.

He said T&T needed an experienced coach to hit the ground running, who understands the culture and who can execute a quick turnaround.

“I don’t think this was the right decision and I think if we have to make a decision like that, it is better you spend more money on our young players and develop the young players and coaches. You can’t stop the team from trying to get into the World Cup, because that is everybody’s dream....but a local coach would have been a better choice. I don’t see the track record of this man, I don’t understand it ....I find it to be very disrespectful to T&T coaches, the players and the country because of the fact this is taxpayers’ (sic) money and you can’t be giving it away to every Tom, Dick and Harry. The TTFA technical committee have made their decision and they will have to live with it but if things don’t go right, they should all resign!”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cummings to TTFA: Resign if coach fails
« Reply #145 on: December 08, 2016, 10:43:37 AM »
Cummings to TTFA: Resign if coach fails
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

Everald ‘Gally’ Cummings, a former national football coach for the famous ‘Strike Squad’ has called on those who made the appointment of new coach Tom Saintfiet to resign if the coach does not succeed in taking T&T to the FIFA World Cup in Russia 2018.

Yesterday Cummings and another former national coach Keith Look Loy described the appointment of the coach as a joke, as they believe the the best man for the job was not appointed, based on the record of the Belgian.

The technical committee of the TTFA made recommendations based on the applications before them, after which the Board of the TTFA made a decision based on the recommendations. However the process appeared to have been limited by financial constraints.

Saintfiet, 43, became the preferred choice after the first choice Phillippe Troussier was said to be too costly and the other two options - Eduardo Lara of Ecuador and Colombia’s Luis Fernando Suarez cannot speak english.

According to Cummings, “When you look at the track record of the coach, we can see he is not good enough.” He lashed out at the TTFA, saying they are making decisions for the entire country and should be held accountable. “They seem to be making a mockery of the country and it hurts me and other coaches who have worked hard to develop the sport and take the country to a standard.”

Cummings also criticised the mentality of local officials who believe that international coaches are always better than the locals. “I think what the country really needs now is someone who knows and understands the culture of the T&T players and can get the best from them.

He also took a swipe at the short-term clause that allows the Belgian coach to be fired if he does not win the next two matches at home against Panama and Honduras in March.

Meanwhile, Look Loy, questioned the logic in appointing a coach with a poor record, saying “I thought when you’re looking to recruit a coach, the first thing you look for is how good is his resume.

His personality and other characteristics can be looked at afterwards, but your track record is the first thing you look for, and this guy does not have that.”

He noted that he finds it very astonishing the president would make a comment as the coach was affordable.

Look Loy who has coached successfully at the national youth level in the past, said it would have been better for the TTFA to have left sacked coach Stephen Hart in the job and had given him all the tools he needed.

“I hope for their sake that the coach does well, but personally I doubt it” Look Loy said.

TTFA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE
​Dexter Skeene - Chairman
Jinelle James
Dr Alvin Henderson
Muhammad Isa
Bertille St Clair
Errol Lovell

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Warner ‘angry’ by TTFA coach selection
« Reply #146 on: December 08, 2016, 10:44:18 AM »
Warner ‘angry’ by TTFA coach selection
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

FORMER vice-president of FIFA, Jack Warner, yesterday described the appointment of 43-year-old Belgian Tom Saintfiet as the biggest injustice in the history of Trinidad and Tobago football and believes we have no chance to qualify for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Warner declared: “The biggest injustice that has been done to football in the history of this country was done by David John-Williams with the appointment of that coach. Before you fire the one you have (Stephen Hart) you must be able to know the one that you will get.” Hart was fired two weeks ago as head coach of the national senior football team after defeats to Costa Rica and Honduras in the opening matches of the final hexagonal stage of qualification.

Warner added, “Stephen Hart was not only wrongly dismissed but the fact is Stephen Hart was dismissed before they even looked for a replacement. If they could not afford a coach why they didn’t take (hire) Dwight Yorke.” Warner, who was instrumental in bringing in Dutchman Leo Beenhakker to replace Bertille St Clair to revive T&T ’s 2006 World Cup campaign after just one point from three matches, commented on what it takes in recruiting a quality coach. “You look at the coaches, you look at their background, you look at their successes, you look and see who they have coached and you will be able to talk to them. You have to use coaches that have a good track record. This is serious business, this is serious business.

This is a nation’s flag at stake. I am so angry it is not funny.” Football administrator Keith Look Loy was also shocked by the TTFA decision.

“This is quite a surprise.

Nobody expected the TTFA to go that afar afield and to appoint a totally obscure coach that nobody knows about.

When Leo Beenhakker came to T&T he was not known by the public but people who follow football, and who know about football, knew that he was a coach with a tremendous record of achievement in the football of three continents. This man when we look at his resume, it is a resume of failure. He has not achieved anything,” he stated frankly.

He added, “I am astonished, the public as a whole is astonished, but he has the job now.

The team does not belong to him or to David John-Williams and the TTFA so I have to hope that he will do a good job and surprise all of us and that the team will find some form.” Former national footballer Clayton Morris also does not have much hope in Saintfiet and questions David John-Williams’ decision to admit Saintfiet was their second choice. Morris said, “I don’t know how he (John-Williams) could make a statement like that saying this is the second choice coach.

Given the situation, we need somebody to take us to the World Cup, and if you come out upfront and telling us this is the second choice then I think you putting doubt in our minds as concerned citizens.” Morris added, “Any coach taking this job now is really (in) an uphill battle, it is really a challenge.” Former national footballer Angus Eve is however refusing to look at the situation negatively, stating the T&T public can’t judge the new coach yet.

Eve declared, “He has coached a number of places so clearly he has experience.” “I think the important thing here is to understand that we are all in football and if I was to get a job in India the people in India would want to know who I am.” Eve added, “The first time he (Arsene Wenger) went to Arsenal everybody ask where he came from and look what he did.

We have to stop this negativity in our society.

They have appointed a coach and let’s support the coach because he is coaching our team and that is the bottom line. When he does his job then we could know how good a job he can or cannot do.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Recession Coach
« Reply #147 on: December 08, 2016, 10:46:37 AM »
Recession Coach
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

EVEN local football is feeling the pinch of the recession.

This as the TT Football Association (TTFA) head yesterday revealed it could not acquire the services of its first choice coach to replace Stephen Hart and instead had to settle for the cheaper choice of Tom Saintfeit as head coach for the TT men’s national football team. Belgian Saintfeit’s last coaching assignment was with the Bangladesh national team which is ranked 183rd out of 200 footballing nations, by world football governing body FIFA.

Saintfeit was officially unveiled as new head coach during a press conference at the Marriott Hotel in Port-of-Spain to replace Hart who was fired on November 24, after almost three and a half years on the job due to a string of disappointing results. The TTFA received applications from around the world but narrowed the list down to four before Saintfeit was chosen. TTFA first choice, Frenchman Philippe Troussier demanded too much money.

TTFA president David John-Williams stated, “He (Tom) was not our first choice for sure, but then he was also affordable as our second choice. Our first choice was way out of what we could afford and I make no apologies for saying that.” Saintfeit and Troussier have experience coaching at national level with both coaching many African countries.

Saintfiet, 43, became the youngest coach in Belgian club football at age 24. He moved on to numerous short stints at national senior level especially in Africa, coaching the likes of Namibia, Zimbabwe, Ethiopia, Yemen, Malawi, Togo and most recently Bangladesh.

Troussier, 61, who has been coaching consistently since 1983, has led Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, South Africa, Japan, Morocco and Qatar during his coaching career. John-Williams made it clear that if Saintfiet does not get at least four points (a win and a draw) from TT’s next two World Cup qualifiers, he will be fired. “The reality is that if we don’t get four points come March...our campaign is virtually over (and) we have to start all over again,” John-Williams said. “He (Saintfeit) came highly recommended. He worked in difficult situations in Africa and we feel he can do the job for us. I will also tell you this that if he does not get the job done on the 24 and 28 of March he will be looking for a new job.” TT face Panama on March 24 and CONCACAF powerhouse Mexico on March 28, both at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Portof- Spain.

TT are currently fifth on the sixteam standings in the final round of World Cup qualifying in the CONCACAF region after losing their opening two matches. TT lost 2-0 at home to Costa Rica before travelling to Honduras where it fell 3-1.

Saintfeit said he was honoured to be named TT head coach as this country has a rich football history.

“I am pleased to be here. There were several candidates and TT is a football nation with huge reputation and history. I think a lot of coaches will be jealous that I am standing here.” Saintfeit expressed confidence that he will bring positive results. “I worked already with eight national teams sometimes in difficult situations. It is important to know that I never got fired by any federation where I worked. I worked many times in short term deals in difficult missions and most of the time, I brought good results.” Saintfeit believes TT can still qualify for the World Cup. He jokingly stated that March 29 is his birthday and with two pivotal World Cup qualifiers taking place shortly before, he is hoping to have a pleasant birthday. The Belgian coach plans to seek assistance from local coaches to get their opinions and ideas as Saintfeit believes qualifying for the World Cup will be a collective effort.

Members of the national team have been punished for a lack of discipline in recent months. The former coaching staff led by Hart punished three national players for breaking team camp to attend a party. Saintfeit said he will bring a professional attitude to the job.

“When you (the players) are selected you have to come here not on a holiday when you come from abroad.”

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #148 on: December 08, 2016, 11:50:47 AM »
Trinidad is not in a recession, that's a big lie and illusion...

They still owe Hart and now they have to pay this waste of time coach on top of it...

One word, CORRUPTION...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #149 on: December 08, 2016, 11:53:52 AM »
Rel kicks yes...asylumseeker better than DJW...atleast he give de man ah Bligh...til the 28th...you beat him back in truth...

I can't imagine the pressure this fellas under yea...I optimistically await these 2 GC games...see what he does...any friendlies in the works??

He is under no pressure, he will take his money and ride out.. David on corruption...

1]; } ?>