March 28, 2024, 05:36:49 PM

Author Topic: Goalkeeping Central: All About the GK's  (Read 19565 times)

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Goalkeeping Central: All About the GK's
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2014, 03:28:32 PM »
regarding Speroni vs. everyone else.

Dont think it would be wise to throw him in the deep-end

Speroni has no caps at the senior level
and argentina probably have like 3 games before the WC to get things together...WAYYY too short a time frame to slot him in i think
maybe he can be their 2nd string
but at that lvl experience carries a lot of weight (See Casillas and Julio Cesar---although with these 2...there is a larger pool of high quality keepers to replace them)

I think that with Argentina there are not many options to choose from right now..
Romero is a top lvl keeper still...just having a rough time at Monaco
cant see Andujar taking over either

He is Argentine like the rest of them and still has strong ties back home.  He is a professional and would grab at the opportunity to play.  He'll be playing among his fellow nationals, which should make for a more seamless adjustment.  You should go with the best, and right now, he is technically the best in the Argentine GK pool.

Sorry...i disagree with that assessment then

Plus Romero getting a few games recently..
his spot safe...n he is a decent keeper

Any keeper will be ".... a professional and would grab at the opportunity to play" as u said..
that is cliche type statements right there u making

Speroni is a backup..3rd string at best this WC
cant jus throw in a player, a keeper self, at this late stage to be your starter for WC

unless Romero or Andujar get injured....it aint happening

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2014, 10:16:32 AM »
Lincoln's book ... Soccer Goalkeeping: The Last Line of Defense, The First Line of Attack is a boss read and a great resource. Available on Amazon etc.

Ah feel a commi$sion in order!  :)

From Lincoln Phillips.

I am in the process of revising the book and would entertain comments and suggestions on how to improve the presentation. Your comments are always welcomed.

Great move, there's a dearth of quality material out there.

Heheheh, ah really feel ah gehhin ah commission one way or another  :devil:. Allyuh, the new book is ... Rising Above and Beyond the Crossbar: The Life Story of Lincoln Tiger Phillips. Support it!

Hope the launching went well!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 10:18:21 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2015, 12:47:52 PM »
He'll probably hold out for Mexico, and if that's not moving declare for US.. Obviously he should go where his heart is, but he's unlikely to make the Mexico team as they have a bunch of good keepers (hell if Ochoa is kept out of the team you know how good they are!)

Time is on his side. He's GK young, and a tick to two ticks younger than the go to figures in the position. Mainly, I'm intrigued by the reverse migratory flow that led to his presence in MEX, but I don't have a firm technical/tactical/mentality assessment of his standing. However, what's clear is he kept like a beast in the apertura final, and frustrated America's ambition to lift the title. In doing so, he won several plaudits. Now, Herrera moves on from America to concentrate on the NT's Brazil WC venture, and he'll be faced with the choice of selecting 3 GKs for Rio. The door is not closed to WPY, but he's probably a player for the the post-WC cycle.

Ultimately, one way to neutralize him is to cap him.

Klinsmann probably onto him already.  Even more so than Mexico, the U.S. is stacked at that position.  There are about 10 of them playing in Europe, not to mention the very capable stock that exists in the MLS.

The call has come. Named in Klinsmann's squad.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:52:54 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2015, 08:35:42 PM »
Homework pays off for Brazil’s Jean
FIFA.com

Given the global nature of the modern game, few secrets remain so for very long. In the case of Portugal’s Raphael Guzzo on Sunday 14 June, predictability proved costly.

Handed the responsibility of his side’s second spot-kick in the shoot-out versus Brazil in the quarter-finals of the FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015, with the scores at 1-1, the midfielder decided to strike his penalty down the middle – as he had done successfully several times this season. Unfortunately for him, Brazil keeper Jean knew what was coming.

“When I saw him setting himself up to take his kick, I had no doubts whatsoever,” said the custodian, speaking to FIFA.com, on a pivotal moment in sending A Seleção through to a semi-final versus Senegal in Christchurch. “Before the game I studied quite a few of their kick-takers. I’d seen three of his kicks and he went down the middle with all three, so I feigned to dive and stayed in the centre.”

By doing so the ball flew softly into his waiting hands, a save that contributed to this being “without doubt my best ever day in football, my happiest day”, continued the Bahia shotstopper, after his exploits in a cold and rainy Hamilton. Indeed, given that representing his country “is something else”, Jean was even more delighted than when winning the Baiano state championship with his club recently, having made his first-team bow a few months ago.

Making the Auriverde’s shoot-out success even sweeter was the suffering that preceded it, as Brazil were second-best for large portions of the 120 minutes of goalless play. “We were lucky,” admitted Jean, his broad smile reflecting all his joy and relief.

“They do say that a goalkeeper needs a bit of luck, and I certainly got that! They [Portugal] had quite a few chances; for some of them I made good saves and others they wasted. But we had enough in the tank to hold on for penalties and managed to come away with a win.”

All of which must make Jean even more grateful to have settled on becoming a goalkeeper at 12, having been a promising left-sided wide-player in futsal until that age. In the end, blood ties proved decisive, Jean Paulo Fernandes – to give him his full name – is the son of Jean Carlos Fernandes, a former Bahia fans’ favourite and the back-up to ex-Brazil No1 Dida in the Cruzeiro squad that won the 1997 Copa Libertadores.

“I used to go with him to quite a few of his training sessions,” explained Jean. “I fell in love with the position and fortunately I was able to play it. We’re a little different in style (laughs heartily). Technique-wise we’re pretty similar, but the style of play in general has changed a lot over time. I’m a modern keeper - good with my feet and quick and agile. I position myself well on my line too.”

Also working in his favour is a keen desire to improve, watching videos supplied to him by Brazil’s goalkeeping coach and seeking out footage of his own. “I watch quite a lot, such as of [Manuel] Neuer, who’s a modern-day icon,” said Jean. “I also watch vids of Dida in shoot-outs, as penalties are important at a World Cup. I watch so many to try and get an appreciation for their qualities and then put them into practice.”

And one of the qualities of a top-level custodian which Jean has shown at New Zealand 2015 is the ability to put a mistake behind him, having allowed a speculative effort from Hungary’s Bence Mervo to squirm through his hands and over the line in A Canarinha’s second group game.

“I never lost my focus,” said Jean, on the error that led to the opening goal in a match Brazil eventually won 2-1 against ten men. “What happened happened, I put it behind me and I had to forget it, turn the page mentally, in order to put in good performances.”

Moreover, since that slip-up, Jean has gone 412 minutes without conceding a goal in open play, a record which puts him in sixth place in U-20 World Cup history – just 163 behind the record set by Portugal’s Mika at Colombia 2011.

“It’s quite a long time, but it’s not just down to me, it’s down to the whole squad. Sometimes it’s me who makes a save, sometimes the defenders step in, but overall this [reaching the last four] is the result of good teamwork.”

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2015, 08:26:47 AM »
Listen to Shaka Hislop discuss why he thinks Buffon was the most compelling goalkeeper during the recent European season. Hislop's comments occur during discussion on the BBC World Service on selection of a European XI.

John Bennett is joined by former South Africa striker Benni McCarthy, Italian football expert Mina Rzouki & Spanish football journalist Ernest Macia decide their eleven with the help of expertise from former West Ham Goalkeeper Shaka Hislop, former Liverpool defender Stephane Henchoz, former Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Carsten Ramelow and former Chelsea striker Saloman Kalou.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/worldservice/sports/sports_20150613-2009a.mp3

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Keeper Pfannenstiel backs up Goddard at Whitecaps
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2015, 04:21:05 PM »
Keeper Pfannenstiel backs up Goddard at Whitecaps

German goalkeeper Lutz Pfannenstiel has been acquired by the Vancouver Whitecaps to back up Tobago born Richard Goddard between the sticks. From the Vancouver Sun:

Keeper goes global
Pfannenstiel crosses four continents to end up with Whitecaps
By: Dan Stinson

His new teammates might have thought they had it tough when they played six straight road games over 20 days in late June and the first two weeks of July. But that would rate as only a minor inconvenience in the nomadic career of Lutz Pfannenstiel, the latest and most widely travelled goalkeeper signed by the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Four continents, 19 teams, and more than 270 games of globe trotting preceded Pfannenstiel's July 3 agreement to ink a contract with the defending United Soccer Leagues First Division champions, who have struggled on the road but now have eight of their remaining nine regular-season games at Burnaby's Swangard Stadium.

"My early impressions are the talent in the squad is good," Pfannenstiel said Tuesday as the Caps prepared for a Friday home game against the Seattle Sounders following a marathon journey to the U.S. southeast and northwest that resulted in one win, two losses and three ties. "Travelling for long periods is hard on any soccer team, but I've seen enough of the Whitecaps to know that we can turn our recent struggles into positive results. The challenge is to make the most of these home games on the schedule."

A 34-year-old native of Zwiesel, Germany, Pfannenstiel was signed by the Caps following the departure of regular starting 'keeper Tony Caig on June 20 for what the club described as "personal reasons." Acquired as Richard Goddard's back-up, Pfannenstiel made a promising debut by posting a shutout in the Caps' 0-0 tie with the expansion Carolina RailHawks on July 3. But he also saw playing time in a 2-1 home-field loss to Miami FC on July 14 and in a 2-1 loss to the host Portland Timbers on July 19.

Pfannenstiel's pro career started in 1989, at age 16, with FC Bad Kotzting of Germany's Bavarian Oberliga. He was good enough to earn a transfer to famed German powerhouse Bayern Munich and had early dreams of remaining with the multiple Bundesliga champions. But Pfannenstiel soon realized his chances for regular first-team playing time with Bayern were very limited behind legendary starter Oliver Kahn.

Pfannenstiel's subsequent travels included stints with club sides in England, South Africa, Singapore, Belgium, New Zealand, Canada, Norway and Finland either as an under-contract or loan player. His longest time with a team was with Finnish Premier League side TPV Tampere from 1993 to '95, and one of his shorter stints was with the Calgary Mustangs. He played one season with the Mustangs, in 2004, before the franchise folded.

"I knew about Lutz when he played in Calgary," said Caps head coach Bob Lilley. "He had a reputation as a good shot stopper and became a good option for us after we lost Tony Caig."

Lilley hasn't decided whether Goddard, a Trinidad and Tobago native, or Pfannenstiel will start against Seattle as the Caps aim to snap a four-game losing streak. But the man between the posts better be sharp. Regular starting centre backs Steve Klein (hamstring) and Adrian Cann (foot) were nursing injuries Tuesday and are likely to sit.

A definite injury scratch is productive striker Eddy Sebrango, who has scored a team-leading seven goals. Sebrango underwent surgery on his left foot last Thursday and is expected to be sidelined until late August.

TnT in Germany RSS feed

Just stumbled on this as I was trying to arrange the German football thread. Lutz is now an EXCEPTIONAL goalkeeper coach and just as good as a storyteller. He's played professionally in every confederation.

One of the experiences he shared was about the idea that Brazil did not produce good goalkeepers. Said when he went to Brazil to play, the technical training was eye-opening; more advanced/expansive than he had experienced in Europe. Said it called for an expanded range of motion.

There was a technique he couldn't perform (but which the Brazilian goalies were masters of effortlessly in distribution) and the coach told him he couldn't start unless he mastered it. Will have to check what it was, but if memory serves correctly ... it was about the difference in the way European goalies typically approached kicking "straight-on" rather than "side-on".

Serious guy, he doh hold no punches. But also light-hearted too.

Richard G, share something nah.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:31:00 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 29, 2015, 11:35:38 AM »
Viewing the Bayern v Leverkusen game.  The Euro Sport commentator just rocked me when he said Neuer has been beaten by a free kick only once since his arrival at Bayern. Stunned for two reasons: Neuer has spent nuff time at Bayern and I didn't realize the significance of that goal when I saw it. When you take into account his ability on penalty kicks, coupled with that stat, and everything else about him, de fella is extra special.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:37:32 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2015, 08:20:04 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/q8eNSTw-SVQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/q8eNSTw-SVQ</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2015, 10:59:50 AM »
Seeking to identify all of the goalkeeper coaches in the Pro League and the Super League. Any help with this will be appreciated.  :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2015, 08:05:22 AM »
Seeking to identify all of the goalkeeper coaches in the Pro League and the Super League. Any help with this will be appreciated.  :beermug:

Club Sando: Robert De Gale
Morvant Caldeonia United: Steve Frederick
Police FC: Glennon Foncette
St. Ann’s Rangers: Rayshawn Mars
W-Connection: Trevor Nottingham
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2015, 09:27:22 PM »
Asylumseeker....

whats the purpose of this info?
course being offered?

QPCC - Jefferson George

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2017, 03:57:22 PM »
Keeper Pfannenstiel backs up Goddard at Whitecaps

German goalkeeper Lutz Pfannenstiel has been acquired by the Vancouver Whitecaps to back up Tobago born Richard Goddard between the sticks. From the Vancouver Sun:

Keeper goes global
Pfannenstiel crosses four continents to end up with Whitecaps
By: Dan Stinson

His new teammates might have thought they had it tough when they played six straight road games over 20 days in late June and the first two weeks of July. But that would rate as only a minor inconvenience in the nomadic career of Lutz Pfannenstiel, the latest and most widely travelled goalkeeper signed by the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Four continents, 19 teams, and more than 270 games of globe trotting preceded Pfannenstiel's July 3 agreement to ink a contract with the defending United Soccer Leagues First Division champions, who have struggled on the road but now have eight of their remaining nine regular-season games at Burnaby's Swangard Stadium.

"My early impressions are the talent in the squad is good," Pfannenstiel said Tuesday as the Caps prepared for a Friday home game against the Seattle Sounders following a marathon journey to the U.S. southeast and northwest that resulted in one win, two losses and three ties. "Travelling for long periods is hard on any soccer team, but I've seen enough of the Whitecaps to know that we can turn our recent struggles into positive results. The challenge is to make the most of these home games on the schedule."

A 34-year-old native of Zwiesel, Germany, Pfannenstiel was signed by the Caps following the departure of regular starting 'keeper Tony Caig on June 20 for what the club described as "personal reasons." Acquired as Richard Goddard's back-up, Pfannenstiel made a promising debut by posting a shutout in the Caps' 0-0 tie with the expansion Carolina RailHawks on July 3. But he also saw playing time in a 2-1 home-field loss to Miami FC on July 14 and in a 2-1 loss to the host Portland Timbers on July 19.

Pfannenstiel's pro career started in 1989, at age 16, with FC Bad Kotzting of Germany's Bavarian Oberliga. He was good enough to earn a transfer to famed German powerhouse Bayern Munich and had early dreams of remaining with the multiple Bundesliga champions. But Pfannenstiel soon realized his chances for regular first-team playing time with Bayern were very limited behind legendary starter Oliver Kahn.

Pfannenstiel's subsequent travels included stints with club sides in England, South Africa, Singapore, Belgium, New Zealand, Canada, Norway and Finland either as an under-contract or loan player. His longest time with a team was with Finnish Premier League side TPV Tampere from 1993 to '95, and one of his shorter stints was with the Calgary Mustangs. He played one season with the Mustangs, in 2004, before the franchise folded.

"I knew about Lutz when he played in Calgary," said Caps head coach Bob Lilley. "He had a reputation as a good shot stopper and became a good option for us after we lost Tony Caig."

Lilley hasn't decided whether Goddard, a Trinidad and Tobago native, or Pfannenstiel will start against Seattle as the Caps aim to snap a four-game losing streak. But the man between the posts better be sharp. Regular starting centre backs Steve Klein (hamstring) and Adrian Cann (foot) were nursing injuries Tuesday and are likely to sit.

A definite injury scratch is productive striker Eddy Sebrango, who has scored a team-leading seven goals. Sebrango underwent surgery on his left foot last Thursday and is expected to be sidelined until late August.

TnT in Germany RSS feed

Just stumbled on this as I was trying to arrange the German football thread. Lutz is now an EXCEPTIONAL goalkeeper coach and just as good as a storyteller. He's played professionally in every confederation.

One of the experiences he shared was about the idea that Brazil did not produce good goalkeepers. Said when he went to Brazil to play, the technical training was eye-opening; more advanced/expansive than he had experienced in Europe. Said it called for an expanded range of motion.

There was a technique he couldn't perform (but which the Brazilian goalies were masters of effortlessly in distribution) and the coach told him he couldn't start unless he mastered it. Will have to check what it was, but if memory serves correctly ... it was about the difference in the way European goalies typically approached kicking "straight-on" rather than "side-on".

Serious guy, he doh hold no punches. But also light-hearted too.

Richard G, share something nah.

At 40.5 years old, El Loco Sebastien Abreu will likely debut in about 1.5 hours for Puerto Montt in Chile's second division. If this holds true, he will join Lutz as joint holder of the record for having played for 25* clubs in his career. Ticket sales have been brisk.

*Will confirm the #. Seeing various figures, but have not looked in Guinness, where the details of the Record stand.

Quite a career for a journeyman. World Cups and Copa Americas etc.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 03:59:35 PM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>