March 28, 2024, 03:51:46 AM

Author Topic: Carolina Morace Thread  (Read 11063 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Carolina Morace Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 05:30:43 AM »
Timely Italian lesson
By Fazeer Mohammed (Express).

“Roti is culture, being late is not culture. It's a bad habit.”

It is always a bit of an eye-opener when foreign eyes survey the local environment and present a very different perspective on attitudes and behaviours.

Carolina Morace has been in this country for just about two months, obviously enough time to have been exposed to this “any time is Trinidad time” mantra so as to have an instant reply when the topic was broached nearing the end of an interview last Friday on TV6's “Morning Edition.”

Charged with the responsibility of overseeing the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association's female programme apart from being head coach of the senior national women's team, the former Italian international striker pounced on that celebrated notion of acceptable tardiness like a loose ball in the six-yard box.

Paolo Rossi would have been proud.

In a very different context, Dennis Lawrence extolled the virtues of international exposure in relation to developing a more professional attitude and fostering a work ethic among players that will redound to the benefit of the individual footballers apart, of course, from being of greater value to the national cause, especially with the onus now on the new senior national men's team coach to revive a flagging World Cup qualifying campaign.

Given the immediate concerns of Friday's duel with Panama and next Tuesday's fixture against Mexico, both at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, the former national defender - who will always be remembered for that headed goal in Bahrain which clinched this country's first-ever qualification for a senior men's World Cup finals in 2006 – needed to be upbeat ahead of those games.

I mean, you wouldn't expect your head coach to be downcast and bracing the population for the worst, given the limited preparation time and the additional challenge of rebuilding cohesion and morale in a squad following the contentious departure of Stephen Hart last November and the short-lived tenure of Tom Saintfiet.

Sitting alongside Morace and with TTFA president David John-Williams also in attendance for the hour-long dialogue, Lawrence praised the commitment of the locally-based players while remaining optimistic that the incoming talent, including the recently errant Kevin Molino, would be smoothly integrated into the system that he is developing to counteract the threat of the Panamanians and Mexicans.

Which raises an interesting question: what is our system, what is our style of play? Is it a hybrid of European, South American and other influences or something unique, a brand that is immediately distinguishable? Given the increasing globalisation of the sport, a phenomenon lamented by some as resulting in a tedious technically-dominated sameness to the international game, a stand-alone brand of play is unlikely.

During the heady days of the qualification campaign for Italia '90, the brand “Kaisoca Soccer” was affixed to the team that carried its own nickname – the “Strike Squad” – and took this country to within a point of getting to the World Cup finals.

Under the guidance of head coach and former national striker Everald “Gally” Cummings, the unit led by central defender Clayton Morris churned out result after encouraging result to galvanise national fervour to a level not experienced before or since, the subsequent qualification for Germany 16 years later notwithstanding.

Yet while we (meaning both the media and general public) heaped praise on the team and conveniently overlooked questionable happenings around the succession of games in 1989, many looking on from the outside offered a very different perspective.

Among the international press contingent for that critical final qualifier against the United States on November 19, Italian football writer Giancarlo Galavotti, reporting then for Turin-based Guerin Sportivo, the world's oldest regular sports magazine, described the national team's style as “naive” ahead of the heartbreaking 1-0 loss to the Americans.

Having finally made it to football's “Big Yard” in 2006, Trinidad and Tobago played what could be described as a pragmatic style under the guidance of Leo Beenhakker, seeking to frustrate more accomplished group opponents – Sweden, England and Paraguay – by getting as many players as possible behind the ball and only very occasionally daring to range forward with any concerted sense of purpose.

Not surprisingly, it divided opinion back at home, especially as the beloved veteran playmaker Russell Latapy was left on the bench for the first two games. Agreement with the Dutchman's tactics of trying to eke out a result, as ugly as it looked, was counteracted by a desire for a more expressive, attacking type of football, even if it risked comprehensive defeats.

Now, almost 11 years on from that historic experience, we appear no closer to understanding what works best for us on the football pitch. Whatever that style is though, it is doomed to fail without adherence to time-honoured virtues.

Believe it or not, that includes something as rudimentary as punctuality.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 09:28:27 AM »
Yaaaay...she real wukkin, she could TD the whole program IMO, men's and women's. No secrets strategies or patented discoveries here. Same page development, not rocket science

"She has also held meetings with local women coaches and have invited them to attend and observe national team training sessions.

“We are also here to help the coaches and to develop the programme and we see it as important to have local coaches involved and to put things in place for their development also.”

Everything is not what it seems; skim milk masquerades as cream.... ;D

:laugh: oh gorm, doh tell meh Fake news reach allyuh   :devil:
No fake news....Doc and I got a first hand experience with her.....it was not the best. the situation was not the best but it could have been handled better on her part.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2017, 10:28:32 AM »
Yaaaay...she real wukkin, she could TD the whole program IMO, men's and women's. No secrets strategies or patented discoveries here. Same page development, not rocket science

"She has also held meetings with local women coaches and have invited them to attend and observe national team training sessions.

“We are also here to help the coaches and to develop the programme and we see it as important to have local coaches involved and to put things in place for their development also.”

Everything is not what it seems; skim milk masquerades as cream.... ;D

:laugh: oh gorm, doh tell meh Fake news reach allyuh   :devil:
No fake news....Doc and I got a first hand experience with her.....it was not the best. the situation was not the best but it could have been handled better on her part.
the fake news reference was to the quotes from the article, in relation to doc post (and your personal experience). Yet some ppl prefer Cream to milk. I would of course have a more informed opinion, hearing your version of that interaction. Was she dismissive to the local coaches in attendance in your opinion, or just to a certain few. Tell it like it is, the truth doh sometimes disappointing sets us all free, no ? Don't worry, everyone has a different opinion of the truth, together we can all make a better inference of the reality of the situation and move accordingly. Bring it man.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:31:44 AM by maxg »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 08:05:32 AM »
Funny how the stereotype of "lazy island life" is always the first thing that's brought up.

Like I said the only top down that works is on a convertible on a nice day.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 08:58:44 AM »
Funny how it seems to be only acceptable for us on here to bring up issues of professionalism.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 09:26:44 AM »
Funny how the stereotype of "lazy island life" is always the first thing that's brought up.

Simple... we have a different axiological reference to her...  :banginghead:
Live large and prosper!

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 01:02:23 PM »
I now reading some drama with the women's team.

Johnson, Cordner and Mollon withdraw from the national squad.

Story from wired868 http://wired868.com/2017/03/21/maylee-kennya-and-mollon-pull-out-as-fiery-morace-starts-reign-without-tt-stars/

I think in both the men's and women's programs when foreign coaches come in, they need to realize that their top level talent pools are so small they have to adjust their approach somewhat to ensure they build trust with the team and their personalities and only within that trust you can start to implement your philosophy. Especially if it can potentially clash with the culture.

Time will tell how it pans out for Morace.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 02:13:54 PM »
Pasta is culture.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2017, 02:34:24 PM »
Pasta is culture.
:D
I don't even know where to start with this. Will wait to see how the developments unfold.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2017, 02:37:47 PM »
I now reading some drama with the women's team.

Johnson, Cordner and Mollon withdraw from the national squad.

Story from wired868 http://wired868.com/2017/03/21/maylee-kennya-and-mollon-pull-out-as-fiery-morace-starts-reign-without-tt-stars/

I think in both the men's and women's programs when foreign coaches come in, they need to realize that their top level talent pools are so small they have to adjust their approach somewhat to ensure they build trust with the team and their personalities and only within that trust you can start to implement your philosophy. Especially if it can potentially clash with the culture.

Time will tell how it pans out for Morace.

Hopefully they can resolve this issue.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2017, 02:53:04 PM »
frig, i was afraid of this, especially with the 3 in question. Not that they always wrong, but it seems strike/quit before communication and compromise is always the 1st reaction, and they do support each other. Well we will play who we have, no choice there.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2017, 03:22:31 PM »

If players are constantly late to practice and that's her mantra as the coach, they need to adjust to that, professionalism means being able to adapt and work within a system..

Simply saying your experience was bad means what? What was bad about it, how did she handle the situation? What was said to you that you were offended by?

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2017, 03:14:12 PM »

If players are constantly late to practice and that's her mantra as the coach, they need to adjust to that, professionalism means being able to adapt and work within a system..

Simply saying your experience was bad means what? What was bad about it, how did she handle the situation? What was said to you that you were offended by?

The person to make the first adjustment is the coach.

It will be great to know what dialogue took place before coming to the consensus that "Roti is Culture". I'm pretty sure that if an intervention took place then more likely than not the notion of "roti is culture" would not be publicly uttered.
If she understand the culture that much then she would know how to "crack down" on punctuality without coming across like "colonial master".

This is not a unique or new revelation in T&T sports.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2017, 03:46:30 PM »
We need to get over this nonsense about our culture, and we do things this way, blah, blah, blah! What has that given us? This laissez faire attitude and penchant to disrespect time is utter foolishness that has brought us nothing good. What have we won? Nothing! These players need to change their attitude because it only happens when they are in Trinidad. These same players, if they get a foreign contract, can't make those silly excuses and do as they please. So it's all a lot of bull that leads to little success.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2017, 05:32:48 PM »
We need to get over this nonsense about our culture, and we do things this way, blah, blah, blah! What has that given us? This laissez faire attitude and penchant to disrespect time is utter foolishness that has brought us nothing good. What have we won? Nothing! These players need to change their attitude because it only happens when they are in Trinidad. These same players, if they get a foreign contract, can't make those silly excuses and do as they please. So it's all a lot of bull that leads to little success.
although I agree, the transportation system and getting from point A to Point B is definitely not as efficient, though cheaper than in other countries,. So all factors must be considered.
On a less serious note, I in TT, ah padna say he go meet me at a fete by Hasely carnival thursday, the wife drop meh around 10, 2 bands dun play, the man show up at 2 am (3 bands later), I dun drunk..ah say "wha the ass man, I ready to go, ah drunk an ah tired", he lead meh to the car bout ah mile up the road, and say he coming now, he hah to check somebody, around 5 I wake up when the car next to he own pull out, at 6 he come back, head nice, hear he nah.."sorry bout that man, still have another dj to play", and oh he hah to leave this nice ting, buh we go head down south for airgirls(???) all inclusive dayfete, so no sweat".. me with meh Canadian self: "Yuh wha meh f**kin wife to f**kin kill meh reachin home f**kin 7 in the morning and u tellin me bout f**kin airgyul, airgyul go put f**kin food on my table or f**kin keep me warm in that cold ass fkin country, wdmc wrong with allyuh, is 6:30 in the morning"..hear he " oh gorm, dat remind meh meh moms wha see yuh, we go swing by dey in Valsayn for breakfast,call the wifeys from dey, then we go head home,...arite...sorry, sorry" ....I call ah few nex  padnas, and was beggin directions on taking some maxi home, wait for ah bus Friday...well, to make ah long story short, ah reach home bout 7 am Saturday, with the same padna as was supposed to be with, wifey meet we by the gate..he tell she, "gyul traffic was real bad"..vrooom, he gone, an leave me dey to explain...nuttin I could say could sound true...T & T boy ...travel is ah adventure everytime yuh step out yuh door... thank god I old now yes, doh go no way
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:35:56 PM by maxg »

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2017, 06:03:48 PM »
Maxg ---yuh eh realize beforehand that yuh padnah eh change and the beauty about padnahs like dat is when yuh limin wid them is rel fun but they want to lime like dey is still 25 so how yuh solve dat is that you always tell them I go meet you dey.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2017, 08:09:06 PM »
@ Maxg :rotfl:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2017, 10:29:43 PM »
...well, to make ah long story short, ah reach home bout 7 am Saturday, with the same padna as was supposed to be with, wifey meet we by the gate..he tell she, "gyul traffic was real bad"..vrooom, he gone, an leave me dey to explain...nuttin I could say could sound true...

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2017, 07:29:40 AM »
although I agree, the transportation system and getting from point A to Point B is definitely not as efficient, though cheaper than in other countries,. So all factors must be considered.
On a less serious note, I in TT, ah padna say he go meet me at a fete by Hasely carnival thursday, the wife drop meh around 10, 2 bands dun play, the man show up at 2 am (3 bands later), I dun drunk..ah say "wha the ass man, I ready to go, ah drunk an ah tired", he lead meh to the car bout ah mile up the road, and say he coming now, he hah to check somebody, around 5 I wake up when the car next to he own pull out, at 6 he come back, head nice, hear he nah.."sorry bout that man, still have another dj to play", and oh he hah to leave this nice ting, buh we go head down south for airgirls(???) all inclusive dayfete, so no sweat".. me with meh Canadian self: "Yuh wha meh f**kin wife to f**kin kill meh reachin home f**kin 7 in the morning and u tellin me bout f**kin airgyul, airgyul go put f**kin food on my table or f**kin keep me warm in that cold ass fkin country, wdmc wrong with allyuh, is 6:30 in the morning"..hear he " oh gorm, dat remind meh meh moms wha see yuh, we go swing by dey in Valsayn for breakfast,call the wifeys from dey, then we go head home,...arite...sorry, sorry" ....I call ah few nex  padnas, and was beggin directions on taking some maxi home, wait for ah bus Friday...well, to make ah long story short, ah reach home bout 7 am Saturday, with the same padna as was supposed to be with, wifey meet we by the gate..he tell she, "gyul traffic was real bad"..vrooom, he gone, an leave me dey to explain...nuttin I could say could sound true...T & T boy ...travel is ah adventure everytime yuh step out yuh door... thank god I old now yes, doh go no way

Appropriate for limin'! Totally in appropriate professional behavior involving work, school, and official professional appointments whether you live in Trinidad and Tobago or elsewhere. And as I said, even our athletes, when they get a foreign contract, immediately change their attitude or they're done. Nobody puts up with that. So, the geographic location of Trinidad and Tobago is no excuse for irresponsible behavior.  And by the way, if transportation is inefficient, leave home early!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2017, 10:05:53 AM »

:rotfl: Max that sound adventurous eh but yuh sounding rell geriatric in yuh reactions too.  Is carnival time and yuh limin, once he drive off yuh jess was supposed to walk een normal and either head straight and bathe or fling yuhself in de 1st sorf spot yuh find and sleep. Deal wit she when yuh wake up.  one like me when I wake up I making movements one time.  Any querries will all get discussed after carnival lol

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2017, 11:37:26 AM »
Storeboy, yes leave home early, but in an non-professional environment not always that simple. Remember to, these are basically kids or ppl depending on a third party and in many cases not everyone on the same page. National representation, even in foreign, depends on a community, includes parents, friends and concerned citizens. In TT today, I have observed their is definitely a more selfish attitude today, than I have ever observed in the past. Whether due to whatever reasoni.e. the state of the nation,crime, society,lime & party, have and have nots, jealousy, whatever, I don't know...but in a more organized society, there are more things in place to ensure a National athlete receives all possible assistance (whether through, community, sport association or government) to get to wherever the training venue is, and in a healthy body and mind disposition. The rest is the talent. The talent however, is where we are very strong.

Scorpion, I old and I grow up foreign, but at least ah was never 'tie like ah cow in Morvant'  -  dammit, age mehself dey again, ent   :rotfl:

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2017, 11:58:29 AM »
I can't remember us having this type of player/coaching problems under Waldrum, and he's an elite coach in the women's game....guess he understood the culture.

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2017, 12:10:13 PM »
I could say from experience and for argument sake, some females respond better to a male coach. Could be clash of egos. However I'll take the side of the coach in this instance. I could be wrong.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »
I can't remember us having this type of player/coaching problems under Waldrum, and he's an elite coach in the women's game....guess he understood the culture.

Doesn't mean it didn't happen. It may have been dealt with before it got out of hand, however.

I do remember reading on here somewhere though that Don Leo sent Yorke home with a "Get the f*ck out of here"  when he showed up late for a practice one time and no one accused him of not understanding the culture, or told him he'd have to adjust his approach. On the contrary it helped to bring the team together because they saw that "no one" was above the rules.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »
Look we just chattin eh, but I sure is not all bout being late...bet it have something to do with communication and tone as well- if I know that lady..As I tell my son, sometimes yuh just have to suck it up, even if it hard to swallow, and do what it takes to get where yuh want to go..if you realizing, what yuh doing won't get yuh there, then ring the bell, and get off dat bus..but don't jump off the bus while it moving and nobody else not complaining, yuh might only hurt yuhself and don't get off in the middle of nowhere, and yuh more lorse than ever.. Communicate with everyone, the other passengers and the driver, even shout out to ppl on the road asking for directions, and if an agreement or reassurance cannot be reached or met, yuh wish everybody luck and get off at the next decent rest stop. No hard feelings, everybody good. Doh yuh still neither home nor your destination, but at least yuh made yuh choice.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:23:08 PM by maxg »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2017, 08:16:26 AM »
Look we just chattin eh, but I sure is not all bout being late...bet it have something to do with communication and tone as well- if I know that lady..As I tell my son, sometimes yuh just have to suck it up, even if it hard to swallow, and do what it takes to get where yuh want to go..if you realizing, what yuh doing won't get yuh there, then ring the bell, and get off dat bus..but don't jump off the bus while it moving and nobody else not complaining, yuh might only hurt yuhself and don't get off in the middle of nowhere, and yuh more lorse than ever.. Communicate with everyone, the other passengers and the driver, even shout out to ppl on the road asking for directions, and if an agreement or reassurance cannot be reached or met, yuh wish everybody luck and get off at the next decent rest stop. No hard feelings, everybody good. Doh yuh still neither home nor your destination, but at least yuh made yuh choice.

And an informed one at that!  :beermug:

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2017, 11:33:20 AM »

And an informed one at that!  :beermug:
Btw MrsG sent me a Blog by a Mz Baboolal

http://sharmainbaboolal.blogspot.ca/2017/03/messy-morace-working-with-sht.html?spref=tw&m=1

Messy Morace: Working With "Sheet".
By Sharmain Baboolal (iBlog).

Taking the Warriors out of TT football

If it was a prison in Canada, it is slavery in Trinidad conducted by a  woman who was imported- along with her dog and cat- into this Banana Republic where she is being treated like a Tin God.

Deservedly so, based on her impressive resume and brilliant football mind, Carolina Morace is a long overdue gift to the Women Warriors.

Sadly, the Italian Hall of Famer was  never fully investigated before she was hired by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA). Her last stint as a national coach was in 2012 in Canada where she left  football scars caused by an “aggressive Italian regime” which turned  that country’s World Cup adventure into a “micro managing prison camp,” according to a report in the Toronto Sun.

After just eight weeks  in T&T, her impressive resume is a distant memory as her new found reputation, from all reports, includes “verbal abuse”, “disrespect” and “nightmare” as the newly appointed Technical Director of Women’s Football  tries to get a grip on her first Third World assignment.

Yes, she insists all is good in her camp.

Why did she settle for  coaching T&T, not even considered a CONCACAF powerhouse? That’s a question which only Morace can answer.

Three  cornerstones of the current Women's football  have  walked away, hanging up their boots. Though fit and match ready they are broken hearted.

The trio, captain Maylee Attin Johnson, Ahkeela Mollon and Kennya Cordner, in their respective rights are leaders who fought with their lives  as part of the history making Women Warriors team that united T&T  in 2015, setting the foundation for Morace’s appointment in Trinidad.

Already attempts are being made to smear their characters in favor of the Italian whom, informed sources say, seems to be creating alliances in Trinidad and Tobago to impose her own culture.

What role is there for the  VP of the TTFA, Joanne Salazar, to whom  Morace has aligned herself, in a move which is transparent to the players.

Therefore, is Morace's relationship  with the TTFA evolving  in a way that she does not want her coaching to interfered with?  Everybody is beginning to ‘fraid Morace,” as she has them  all believing that they are less-than-professional.

Among the first to be sidelined, unofficially, of course, is  the TTFA’s Coordinator of Technical Programmes Jamal Shabazz, who shut down the discussion when I called him.

“We have a working relationship, I do what is necessary to get the job done. I do not have to interact with her a great deal, but I do go to watch the players,” Shabazz  deadpanned  refusing to acknowledge that Morace clearly does not speak with him and there is obvious tension when they relate.

But has he heard of complaints from both staff and players?

“It is not my jurisdiction,” he answered, adding “I don’t fit into the equation.

“I read  about what transpired and it is unfortunate that the situation has reached to that,” he said, refusing further questions.

“There is time for the matter to be resolved, I trust that the Technical Director, Muhammed Isa, will get a total feedback and I will know what happened eventually,” Shabazz ended.

The main bone of contention, at this time, is Captain Maylee, described as a woman with strong opinions  but all in the interest of the team and the program and  one who has fought with her life.

Highly respected by her team mates, Maylee  clearly sets her  standards for  respect.  Attin Johnson untied her laces  obviously walking  away from further confrontation which seemed imminent given Morace’’s blunt and demoralizing disrespect.

Football trumps all. By the time  Morace started her stint in Trinidad, all the Women Warriors were lining up to give up two and half years of their life for the experience, not knowing what they signed up for.

Described by those who know as a woman with a “tendency to  burn her bridges,” Morace’s most often used  phrase in training at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium has been “This is sheet,” the last word being her pronunciation of “shit”.

With that, in a few weeks all Trinbagonians- players and staff - are thinking that she has turned her back on her declaration at a news conference in Port of Spain “We are more open. What we want to do is put our experience into place but at the same time we have to match with your culture .For a good system the two  cultures  have to match”.

This is how it is being dismantled; The core of the  Women Warriors team are players who have been through the US College system. Almost all college based players were home for the Christmas holidays and returned  stateside in mid January.

Not having played a game since November, they were summoned  back a couple of weeks after they returned, at great expense ,to the TTFA, for a one week assessment by Morace.

“She did not even put them into a game situation, but had them do simple drills and passes and summed it all up as “sheet,” another source explained, sad about how demoralized the girls seemed after their encounter with the Italian. “The College players were told their technique is bad - they were not fit enough to be on a National team.

“Khadidra Debisette, who has played at the national level for several years- left a meeting literally crying,” returning to the US with the hopes of once again playing for the national team dashed.

"In front of everyone, she declared that the College system is crap, telling them they would be worse off as players.“

Is it professional to be disrespectful? “She has all the knowledge but is a dictator,” my source explained.

“Next to go was Ahkeela Mollon who was fit and ready and  turning a blind eye to the negative criticism that became a hallmark of training sessions on the field from 6pm to 8pm, after which the players stretched and had ice baths where necessary, before leaving for home in various parts of Trinidad.

“Thinking of her safety, Mollon who lives in Longdenville, on the border line with  Enterprise  asked  her Manager for the ice baths to be taken at home,” my source said.

“The Coach responded with a loud comment across the field ‘ Why do they even come out of their houses?” mocking the  clear and present danger posed by crime.

“One day later two men were shot and killed a  stone’s throw from Mollon’s home. One year earlier she ducked gunshots as she made her way home from training.

Morace, incidentally, lives in South Trinidad- not far from where her team trains at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium which is the base for the women football programme.

“She came here to be a mentor, but now  the players are clearly suffering, players  are low on self esteem, they need  help.

‘She walks around the field and pinches people, telling them they’re too fat,” my source said.

The women who have been exposed to international coaches and training in the US and in Europe  have never experienced someone like the Italian, whom they say is “running amok” with no one to control her.

For the sake of professionalism, this woman who signed up to work in a Third World country, handed it to the TTFA again, when she showed up in Tobago  earlier this month to try out players for the National Team.

“The field was not marked and she left the 40 innocent players stranded as she made an about turn with her technical staff and returned to Trinidad.

‘It is commendable  that she stood up for professionalism, holding up the bar for the TTFA, but was there another way to go about it?

“There is no indication that she  truly cares about reform and pointing in the right direction.

“There are some girls in training who do not have food, or even a roof over their heads, the players work with each other to make it to training  and it’s  far worse than boot camp,” my source added.

“If indeed it is all that bad in Trinidad, where even the coaches are “sheet”, I feel sorry for her, after all,” a veteran T&T footballer said, weighing in on the discussion.

“Because of her resume she is obviously coaching down, this was not a lateral move, so it begs the question: What did the TTFA offer her?

“There are cases where women coaches believe they must behave worse than men in order to get the job done,.

“But you don’t get respect by shouting down people. You must treat people like people.

‘It is clear she left Canada with a bad taste  and remember most Canadians came out of the  US College system,” he added.

“These girls here are not  gonna learn to play the short passing, that is not our style and we cannot even  get the men to play that way,” he noted.

“Morace is yet to show that she can merge the cultures, because clearly she has no respect for our culture,” he ended, with a sigh.

What appeared to be one step forward for women’s football in T&T is turning out to be another nightmare.

Especially for the footballers who grabbed at the opportunity having been left unattended since 2014, until Morace appeared.

It appears that TTFA President David John-Williams  was so eager and enthusiastic to make a statement because of the pressure he was getting for his leadership, he wanted a high profile coach.

They clearly did not take time to get someone to come in and understand the culture. Just as the Toronto Sun reported, she worked on taking the Canadian out of  Canada’s team, so too, she is well on her way to removing all warriors from the T&T’s women football.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:20:53 PM by Flex »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2017, 11:52:14 AM »
We hire a drill sergeant....Major Payne-Morace :salute:

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2017, 01:42:41 PM »
IF that is true then she need to follow Saint Fiet!!

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2017, 01:44:38 PM »
We hire a drill sergeant....Major Payne-Morace :salute:

nah dread demanding quality and respect is one thing complete beast treatment is completely different.....how come dat team was flyin, fit and ready under waldrun with no talk of abuse ever being aired......is we colonial mindset dat does have we believing d bes boss is d jackass boss.......and no sexism intended buh female jackass bosses is d wuss kinda jackass boss, 'cause dey have dat ting to prove chip on dey shoulder
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:48:06 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

1]; } ?>