March 28, 2024, 09:31:54 AM

Author Topic: Saintfiet engages discussion with players  (Read 7140 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Saintfiet engages discussion with players
« on: December 12, 2016, 04:44:11 PM »
Saintfiet engages discussion with players
TTFA Media

Trinidad and Tobago Senior Men’s Team head coach Tom Saintfiet has been in the country for a week now and held his first meeting with a few of this country’s overseas-based professionals who are currently in the country.

Saintfiet will conduct his first training session on Thursday at the start of a non-residential camp before switching to a residential camp ahead of the team’s departure for Nicaragua for two international friendlies against that country’s senior national team on December 27th and 30th.

Saintfiet described the meeting as important and well received ahead of the preparations. He also previously spoke to team captain Kenwyne Jones and Russian-based defender Sheldon Bateau and Khaleem Hyland.

“I had a meeting today with few of the professional players from overseas and of course some of the others were excused because they are still with their respective clubs. The idea behind this was to have a brief introduction and to explain to them what the programme will be like over the short holiday period ahead of these upcoming matches,” Saintfiet told TTFA Media.

“I was able to introduce myself and talk about my plans for the next few weeks. It was a fruitful meeting and we are looking forward to starting camp later this week, first a non-residential camp and then next week we will change to a residential camp before heading off to Nicaragua,” he added.

“I am here now for a week and the last few days I have had the chance to see a few games in the local Pro League and also the National Super League which has allowed me to get a better impression of the local game and also the country on a whole.

“I’ve had many discussions with some of the local coaches and members involved in local football and all these things will help me become better prepared for the preparation phase of the team leading up to the qualifying matches in January and March,” stated Saintfiet who attended Monday’s “Big Four” final between Naparima College and Presentation College, San Fernando and the Pro League fixture between W Connection and Central FC at the Ato Boldon Stadium.

Among the players who met with Saintfiet on Monday was Estonian-based defender Randanfah Abu Bakr who is currently back home on a break. He spoke about the discussion with Saintfiet.

“It was brief and I thought it went well. He basically re-introduced himself to us and outlined his qualifications and even shared some of his more personal background information,” Abu Bakr said.

“Within that he dispelled some of the (negative) rhetoric that has been circulating about him. He seemed to have a pretty good idea about us in terms of where we play and played and described himself as a disciplinarian. At the same time he appears very personable, positive and optimistic,” the former Denmark-based defender added.

“The meeting was interactive. He did invite opinions, questions, feedback and ideas about, for example, the scheduling of our training camp for the upcoming friendlies and Gold Cup playoff games considering it’s a holiday period. He emphasised finding a balance between allowing guys their family time and putting in the necessary work to get the results . He’s clearly ambitious and said he’s looking forward to working with the group,” Abu Bakr concluded.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Saintfiet engages discussion with players
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 11:11:28 PM »
So reiterating you are disciplinarian is aimed at achieving what exactly?

Hart summed it up best, don't stifle the players because they will not respond to that and rebel... you have to have the ability to reason with these young men who are trinis... Hart understood that intimately, this joker doesn't, because from the jump he's already creating a divide with his poor use of language.. understanding a culture takes more than a few months...

TTFA and Mccartyism...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:15:42 PM by Controversial »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Saintfiet gets the ball rolling
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 07:36:43 PM »
Saintfiet gets the ball rolling
TTFA Media

Trinidad and Tobago’s Men Senior Team head coach Tom Saintfiet got the ball rolling in his new position as he oversaw the first couple sessions at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Thursday evening and then on Friday morning at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium.

Among those training under Saintfiet on Thursday was Orlando City midfielder Kevin Molino, US-based players Aubrey David, Mekeil Williams, Cordell Cato, Estonian-based Radanfah Abu Bakr, Mexican-based duo Jomal Williams and Shahdon Winchester and veteran Carlos Edwards among the twenty four players who showed up on Friday. Not training was Central FC duo Jan Michael Williams, Sean De Silva and Nathaniel Garcia due to club matters.

Russian-based defender Sheldon Bateau was not in attendance as he is out of the country, so too Joevin Jones.

Saintfiet will go into the two international friendlies against Nicaragua on December 27th and 30th without the services of Bateau and Belgian-based midfielder Khaleem Hyland as the clubs of both players have indicated that they would not be released for the matches which are not being played inside of a FIFA international window. Local-based Elton John has been added to the training squad which will be trimmed next week when the team goes into a residential camp.

Saintfiet was in good spirits after his first session, saying he was pleased with the commitment shown by the players involved. He held a brief discussion with the members present before the beginning of the session which went for just over an hour.

“It’s a good start. I know the players have to go still to their clubs and for me it was the first contact with the players and I am quite happy with the commitment of the players,” Saintfiet told TTFA Media.

“I was very happy that we had a big group of players here. I felt a huge commitment of the guys with a good atmosphere. For me the connection between coach and players, staff and players is very important.

“ A national team coach has not so much influence on the physical part of the players because I train normally only five days, maybe a little bit longer with the group. We don’t have so much influence on the technical part because making players better takes much more time. My biggest influence can be tactically and psychologically and I think if you play for the national team it has to be first of all an honour to be selected,” he said.

He touched on what his selection will be based on, saying “I try to always play with the quality we have compared to the opponent because if we have good quality but the opponent has better quality then our quality is not so good as our opponent so I have to choose my tactic.

“In this situation I came to the country which had this year maybe not such a good year, two victories over St Vincent and the Grenadines and one against Dominican Republic, the only victories in 2016 so my first aim is to try to get a tactic to get points. Maybe it is not the most attractive tactic but playing good and losing 4-3 doesn’t bring anything at this moment. We need results immediately for sure against Suriname and Haiti so my tactical choice would result oriented based on our quality compared to the opponent,” Saintfiet added.

And the commitment of everyone involved will be a major factor during his tenure at the helm of the Senior Men’s Team.

“We have 1.3 million and only eleven people will stand in the middle of the stadium and listen to the national anthem and only 22 or 23 players will be selected. I want players who feel committed to the team and the country and I feel responsible for that. We need to create a group of players who are ready to battle, to fight. I always say national team is a modern type of army in war to fight against another country and we need players who will fight for their country because we have to go to the Gold Cup and then to the World Cup. That was very important for me today and I noticed a group of players who are committed and happy to be here and that’s a good start,” Saintfiet stated.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Saintfiet gets the ball rolling
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 06:27:42 AM »
Not training was Central FC duo Jan Michael Williams, Sean De Silva and Nathaniel Garcia due to club matters.
Dumb asses can't even proof their press release

“I try to always play with the quality we have compared to the opponent because if we have good quality but the opponent has better quality then our quality is not so good as our opponent so I have to choose my tactic.

What?????
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 06:35:53 AM by MEP »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 10:09:48 AM »
Not training was Central FC duo Jan Michael Williams, Sean De Silva and Nathaniel Garcia due to club matters.

“I try to always play with the quality we have compared to the opponent because if we have good quality but the opponent has better quality then our quality is not so good as our opponent so I have to choose my tactic.

What?????

I think he saying selection base on whether the player can implement his tactics even if they are better footballers. A nod to KJ?

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 10:27:02 AM »

What?????

It's not worth dissecting the high level of ignorance about football in that statement.

We got rid of a class act like HART, for this ASS!

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 11:08:57 AM »
Sanfiet will surprise many people.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 11:37:41 AM »

well, who will run better:

hart w/o the holdouts or sainfiet a full strength team?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 11:49:29 AM »

What?????

It's not worth dissecting the high level of ignorance about football in that statement.

SanThief head...

You buying that rubbish.. he think men dotish, you think he could spin that nonsense in Belgium? LoL

He's a damn puppet for those liars ... after David John was elected the players almost striked, which made us lose against Haiti and everything went downhill because of these snakes, now they sending some puppet to fool people

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 12:50:47 PM »

What?????

SanThief head...

You buying that rubbish.. he think men dotish, you think he could spin that nonsense in Belgium? LoL

He's a damn puppet for those liars ... after David John was elected the players almost striked, which made us lose against Haiti and everything went downhill because of these snakes, now they sending some puppet to fool people

yes hart was a class act but he lost the plot. Somewhere along the line hart lost the dressing room with players like Cyrus and molino of whom I still believe conspired along with people like babwa shabazz and CO to get rid off the coach, of which I always maintain to this day that keron cummings shooting was a hit called by someone who wanted us to lose to haiti. yes I know I am beginning to sound a bit like controversial but DJW had it in for hart from day one.

As for him surprising people, well that would be a refreshing change after all the pot luck we had since DJW took over from timkee.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 12:57:59 PM by pull stones »

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 02:11:42 PM »
[/quote

Frico you will be surprised how Frikking worse it has gotten. No Gold Cup Nor Russia with Saintfeit

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 02:29:41 PM »

What?????

SanThief head...

yes hart was a class act but he lost the plot. Somewhere along the line hart lost the dressing room with players like Cyrus and molino of whom I still believe conspired along with people like babwa shabazz and CO to get rid off the coach, of which I always maintain to this day that keron cummings shooting was a hit called by someone who wanted us to lose to haiti. yes I know I am beginning to sound a bit like controversial but DJW had it in for hart from day one.

As for him surprising people, well that would be a refreshing change after all the pot luck we had since DJW took over from timkee.

If your player gets shot and you have Dictator breathing down your neck, you would lose the plot somewhat... :D

Come on brother... you know things are nefarious and yet you think it's all Hart losing the dressing room.. that's rubbish
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:32:29 PM by Controversial »

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 04:15:02 PM »
Since when players like Molino or Cyrus could influence a dressing room? We really giving these players more props than they deserve.  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

In what country/club can a player of Molino's or Cryrus' "pedigree" cause a coach to lose his wuk. Steupss...If that really is the case then we in deeper mess than we realise

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 04:34:18 PM »
Since when players like Molino or Cyrus could influence a dressing room? We really giving these players more props than they deserve.  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

In what country/club can a player of Molino's or Cryrus' "pedigree" cause a coach to lose his wuk. Steupss...If that really is the case then we in deeper mess than we realise

He said conspired with the dictator and Shabazz, so he wasn't assuming it was a solitary effort, more like a group effort, with Cyrus he's under the dictator, who pays his bills, so that's an easy fix... Molino probably has aspirations to be captain

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 11:56:50 PM »

i guess it was also very funny when babwa a long standing team doctor made up a vicious lie in order to make it easier to have hart dismissed, even turning in his resignation in the process.

As for molino and cyrus, daniel Cyrus played in our last 9 international matches and has played a part in almost every goal we conceded and in some cases he baffled commentators on his lack of awareness.

same for molino, this bloke broke camp twice and on the eve of major must win games. was it possible that he had his beefs with coach hart and wanted him gone? read molino's tweet when he claimed that he would be back on the team with hart or another coach and this was way before we played our first game in the hex, tell us then how did he know that there was another coach on the horizon? think mate think.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 12:34:57 AM by pull stones »

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 11:03:50 AM »
I think Sanfiet talks a good talk and things could just take a different direction now,anything apart form a loss in the 2 matches at home,will be an improvement.
Bonne parole Monsieur Sanfiet

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 01:01:50 PM »

i guess it was also very funny when babwa a long standing team doctor made up a vicious lie in order to make it easier to have hart dismissed, even turning in his resignation in the process.

As for molino and cyrus, daniel Cyrus played in our last 9 international matches and has played a part in almost every goal we conceded and in some cases he baffled commentators on his lack of awareness.

same for molino, this bloke broke camp twice and on the eve of major must win games. was it possible that he had his beefs with coach hart and wanted him gone? read molino's tweet when he claimed that he would be back on the team with hart or another coach and this was way before we played our first game in the hex, tell us then how did he know that there was another coach on the horizon? think mate think.

Good point, didn't know that was his tweet, I guess David john got to him as well before... interesting as I never paid attention to his tweets

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 04:55:10 PM »
All I am saying is that we have reached a stage where a player like Molino could disrupt a dressing room. Molino aint no Yorke or Latapy. Them boys a couple games away from ending right back in the pro league...Heaven help us

Who next? Peltier/Corn Curls? LMAO

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 08:49:47 PM »
All I am saying is that we have reached a stage where a player like Molino could disrupt a dressing room. Molino aint no Yorke or Latapy. Them boys a couple games away from ending right back in the pro league...Heaven help us

Who next? Peltier/Corn Curls? LMAO

Dissent is dissent, a defender and one of our brightest young mids can create a problem when you have a cohesive unit...

You may say he's nothing, but that disregard could be what created our downfall from within... never underestimate someone

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 07:43:51 AM »
Saintfiet, Central FC stand-off continues.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

MIDFIELDER Sean De Silva is set for a two week long layoff, after allegedly sustaining a groin injury during a national team training session at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella.

De Silva’s Central FC teammates - goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams and midfielder Nathaniel Garcia, may be denied selection from the national team for next week’s international friendlies away to Nicaragua (on December 27 and 30). Central FC’s owner Brent Sancho, last Friday, revealed that he was told in no uncertain terms from Trinidad and Tobago team coach Tom Saintfiet that the trio had to participate in the training camp in order to merit selection.

Sancho fumed that the players were being forced to skip club duties for a camp, and matches, that do not fall on FIFA match dates.

The former T&T defender and Minister of Sport, in a telephone interview yesterday, stated that the trio were involved in a national team training session yesterday morning at Marabella.

“They trained Saturday, Sunday and Monday,” said Sancho. “My players were told that they have to go and train. Apparently they were told that if they play in the game (today for Central FC against Morvant Caledonia United), they’ll be dropped from the squad.”

Asked if Saintfiet’s directive will be strictly for the Central FC trio or the other Pro League players involved in the TT team training, Sancho replied, “it’s left to be seen what is the mandate for the other players. But he told the Central FC players that if they play, that they’ll be dropped from the squad.”

Sancho continued, “as I said earlier, no coach should be saying these kinds of things to their players. This is a man that’s trying to hold a training camp and (the games) are outside of FIFA dates. I’m absolutely flabbergasted that he’s carrying on in such a manner.

“We’ve tried to contact the management team but they’ve never returned my calls, never answered my calls. So it’s either their way or the highway.” There are Pro League matches today and Friday, and Sancho insists that he will like to have his players, particularly Williams and Garcia, available for domestic matches this week.

“Central’s position remains (the same),” stressed Sancho. “We have injuries, we have suspensions (to deal with). All we’re asking, and I’ll go back to the original letter we sent on Tuesday asking for some level of discussion where the coach can have an understanding of our position. We have allowed them to train Saturday and Sunday, and even (yesterday), the day before the game.

“We’re not acting in bad faith at all,” Sancho added.

“We’ve shown that we’ve acted in very good faith. But it’s the coach, and the Association, have given no response to say ‘look we understand your situation’.

You really have to question what is their motive. Is it really to select the best team to go to Nicaragua or is it to prove some sort of point that is not there? I don’t understand, I really am baffled. This is the first time, since the club is existing, that we’ve ran into this kind of situation.”

Manager Azaad Khan, commenting on the situation yesterday, remarked: “Remember at the end of the day the coach is in charge.” He added: “Talk to him (Saintfiet) and hear what he says.”

Efforts to reach Saintfiet up to press time proved futile as the TTFA press officer indicated he was resting.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 12:14:26 PM »
Interesting

Which team stands to benefit from Central FC missing players in these last few matches?

The team that is 2nd in the standings perhaps?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 12:39:56 PM »
If I was Saintfiet, I would not pick any Central FC players going forward.

Sancho is a fool as always, for a former player he is really a idiot.

Central could benefit greatly from having their players play for the national team.

Saintfiet and the TTFA was willing to work with Central but Sancho thinks he is a big time manager in England.

Never liked him, even when he was MoS, what a fool he turned out to be.

If was me, I would forced him to beg the TTFA to pick his players.

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 12:44:09 PM »
Tom checks in with SWO; new coach vows to turn things around
INSHAN MOHAMMED    CREATED: 13 DECEMBER 2016

Saintfiet - I am a proud 'Soca Warrior.'

Soca Warriors Online (SWO) recently caught up with journeyman and T&T's new head coach Mr. Tom Saintfiet who seemed passionate and ready for the rugged road lying ahead despite the TTFA's ultimatum.

Tom Saintfiet was hired on a short-term contract as a replacement for former head coach Stephen Hart. What is really facetious is that Saintfiet's ultimatum from his new employers was quite forthright and predispose, “Win the next two World Cup games or you're out.”

After, speaking with the 43-year old one thing definitely stood-out. He seemed desirous to prove his critics wrong, win over the supporters and ready to tackle the dark unknown quest which awaits.

While not getting carried away, Saintfiet recognises that it will not be an easy assignment. However, he feels that his experience as a player and a coach as well as his decorated curriculum vitae will play a pivotal role and pull him through in the end.

Tom meanwhile, is a man of many languages which includes; Dutch, English, French, German, Faroese and basic knowledge of Arabic, Afrikaans and Spanish.

http://www.socawarriors.net/senior-team-news/19222-tom-checks-in-with-swo-new-coach-vows-to-turn-things-around.html

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 01:23:12 PM »
Interesting. He comes across as a bit arrogant in places, but can understand the desire to set the record straight given the recent reaction.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 02:19:48 PM »
If I was Saintfiet, I would not pick any Central FC players going forward.

Sancho is a fool as always, for a former player he is really a idiot.

Central could benefit greatly from having their players play for the national team.

Saintfiet and the TTFA was willing to work with Central but Sancho thinks he is a big time manager in England.

Never liked him, even when he was MoS, what a fool he turned out to be.

What yuh saying sounds utterly jackassish!  So despite having a club to run, a rash of injuries and unavailable players, and games coming up, they supposed to send the players they need?  If you find that unreasonable then yuh iz ah rell imps!

I eh no Sancho fan but yuh gone too flikkin far wit yuh bullshit killa

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2016, 03:43:17 PM »
Interesting. He comes across as a bit arrogant in places, but can understand the desire to set the record straight given the recent reaction.
But he hasn't really set the record straight.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2016, 04:10:38 PM »

You sound like a perfect candidate to work in this TTFA administration. 

Can someone put in a word for Errol?  Based on the above statement, his qualifications are stellar
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2016, 04:49:52 PM »
But he hasn't really set the record straight.
Agreed, I didn't say he succeeded!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2016, 07:21:58 PM »

You sound like a perfect candidate to work in this TTFA administration. 

Can someone put in a word for Errol?  Based on the above statement, his qualifications are stellar

He fits the profile..

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2016, 09:43:01 PM »
I like the Glenn/Edwards call up, these guys know each other well. Edwards can organised that backline with his experience and glenn is a proven goal scorer with alot of confidence plus his jokes in the dressing room will be an instant comic relief in order to bring this group together.

On the other hand I dont see why Kevan George and Winchester on this team.

1]; } ?>