March 28, 2024, 08:37:08 AM

Author Topic: T&T bounces back with 3-1 win over Nicaragua.  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
T&T bounces back with 3-1 win over Nicaragua.
« on: December 31, 2016, 06:26:35 AM »
T&T bounces back with 3-1 win over Nicaragua.
TTFA Media.

Trinidad and Tobago senior men, spurred on by three well taken goals from Cornell Glen, Carlyle Mitchell and Aikim Andrews overcame Nicaragua 3-1 in the second of two international friendlies at the National Football Stadium in Managua on Friday night.

As was the case in Tuesday’s 2-1 defeat, T&T found themselves trailing in the first half as Daniel Cadena placed his shot past Adrian Foncette to put the hosts 1-0 ahead the 25th minute after some untidy work at the back by T&T. But the visitors were much didn’t let their opponents pull away this time as Tom Saintfiet’s men maintained good organisation and shape and created far better openings than in Tuesday’s match.

Saintfiet introduced Glen, Tyrone Charles, Carlyle Mitchell and midfield workhorse Kevan George into his starting team and it paid dividends. Glen and Mitchell got on the scoresheet while Charles looked the part alongside George in the midfield, both men putting in a solid shift on the artificial surface.

Defender Maurice Forde made his second straight appearance but couldn’t do much about the opening goal as Jaime Moreno left him on the surface before squaring for Cadena to slot past Foncette for the go ahead item.

Glen would trouble the Nicaraguan defence after, managing two back to back attempts at goal but goalkeeper Diedrich Tellez was up to the task both times.

But the former Columbus Crew striker would make it count soon after. Mitchell played on a diagonal ball on the right of the box for a lurking Glen and he kept his balance to volley into the turf and past Tellez for the equaliser in the 37th minute.

Six minutes after the interval, Glen won a free kick midway into the opponents half and Hector floated one in for Mitchell to clinically convert with a neat glancing header to put T&T 2-1 ahead.

T&T were not being troubled at this point but Nicaragua still managed a couple looks on goal as the half progressed. But T&T would pull further away as Mitchell tussled with three defenders inside the area, going down in the process before the ball came out for Andrews who took one touch before striking a superb right footed volley into the far left corner to push T&T 3-1 ahead.

Substitutes Daneil Cyrus and Shahdon Winchester muffed further opportunities for T&T but Saintfiet and his men would surely be leaving Managua for Port of Spain with some level of satisfaction on Saturday morning.

Saintfiet’s Post-Match Comments

“As a coach you want to win every match and I was very disappointed after the first match that we lost 2-1. I felt the players deserve more for the effort. So it was very important I think in my mind and in the players mind to get a good result before we travel back.

“It was the last game of 2016 and if we could win this match we would be in a stronger psychological mood to start the competition against Suriname and Haiti. And it think it was a very clear good performance not only tactically but also physically and mentally where we proved today that we could win this match and the result will help us naturally in the near future,” Saintfiet said.

He commended more than handful of players for their efforts.

“It’s always difficult to say because we also have to respect the players that played last Tuesday. They also played quite well last match. Today the guys who came in like Kevan George, Carlyle Mitchell, Tyrone Charles and Cornell Glen did fantastic but it’s not only them, it’s a whole team performance. Even after the changes I have to think of players like Aikim Andrews and other players who performed well. I think we as a team don’t have one, two, three big players but we have a team performance of 20-23 players who are playing on a high level. Sure today some players showed that they deserved to be on the national team. I think some were a little bit out of selection for a long period and they wanted to prove something and I hope in the coming weeks they can continue that.”

He spoke of the value of the two-week training camp including the two friendlies in Managua.

“I think it’s very important and I am very happy that the Association could organise these matches in a short period of time. People sometimes people forget that I am only two and half, three weeks in Trinidad and that I saw only a few league matches and I had not a lot of time to select and to find the right players for the coming weeks. So this two-week training camp plus these two friendly matches helped me a lot to know which players are ready, which system is best and how we can be prepared for Suriname and Haiti. I am a very happy coach that we use these days between Christmas and New Years to prepare our team because we have made a lot of steps forward.”

T&T resumes preparations on Sunday evening ahead of their CFU Gold Cup playoff encounter against Suriname on Wednesday January 4th from 7pm at the Ato Boldon Stadium.

Tickets for the upcoming Gold Cup playoff matches are now on sale at all Lotto Locations nationwide.There are three in one season tickets for the three matches costing $$100 for adults and $45 for children. Single match tickets cost $50 for Adults and $20 for children. TTFA Season Pass holders can access the games at no additional cost. Those TTFA Season Passes which includes access to the World Cup qualifiers also, are available at First Citizen’s Banks nationwide.

Teams

Trinidad and Tobago - 22.Adrian Foncette; 11.Carlos Edwards (capt) (4.Curtis Gonzales 69th), 12.Carlyle Mitchell, 6.Radanfah Abu Bakr, 17.Maurice Ford, 15.Hughtun Hector (16.Alvin Jones 72nd), 19.Kevan George, 8.Nathan Lewis (18.Aikim Andrews 53rd), 14.Hashim Arcia (5.Daneil Cyrus 81st), 7.Tyrone Charles (23.Jomal Williams 81st - Yellow 89), 13.Cornell Glen (Yellow 18) (10.Shahdon Winchester 75th).

Unused substitutes: Glenroy Samuel (GK); 9.Akeem Roach, 20.Trevin Caesar, Aubrey David (sidelined with injury).

Coach - Tom Saintfiet (BEL).

Nicaragua - Diedrich Tellez; Elvis Figueroa (Juan Barrera 67th), Josue Quijano, Manuel Rosas (capt), Marlon Lopez, Luis Copete (Oscar López 46th), Luis Peralta (Jason Coronel 46th - Yellow 51), Bryan Garcia (Lesther Jarquin 39th), Érick Téllez, Jaime Moreno (Armando Zepeda 65th), Dany Cadena (Bryan Bonilla 46th).

Coach - Henry Duarte (CRC).

Referee - Oscar Davila (Nicaragua).

Videos -

T&T defeats Nicaragua 3-1 - Game Highlights

Saintfiet's Post Match Reactions after 3-1 win over Nicaragua

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 07:12:40 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T bounces back with 3-1 win over Nicaragua.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 07:39:21 AM »
Much better T&T.

I am also impressed that Saintfiet used 3 defenders and two defensive midfielders (Charles and George) like what Chelsea is doing now and got a positive results.

I also like the fact that he dropped Cyrus and when he came on he had him further up the field.

Anyhow, let's not get carried away, we have better teams to face down the road and I hope the coach still try to bring in a few heavy hitters like Bateau, Cato, Joevin, Boucaud, Jan, Levi and Hyland.

I like the energy Saintfiet brings, he did not sit for a minute and was very vocal and motivated to the players.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 07:40:52 AM by Errol »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 09:00:35 AM »
Much better T&T.
I am also impressed that Saintfiet used 3 defenders and two defensive midfielders (Charles and George) like what Chelsea is doing now and got a positive results.
[/b]
I also like the fact that he dropped Cyrus and when he came on he had him further up the field.

Anyhow, let's not get carried away, we have better teams to face down the road and I hope the coach still try to bring in a few heavy hitters like Bateau, Cato, Joevin, Boucaud, Jan, Levi and Hyland.

I like the energy Saintfiet brings, he did not sit for a minute and was very vocal and motivated to the players.

if he did do that then good on him, it takes some courage, I know people fraid dat since it fail with pacho but I think back 3 suits us, Latapy had marginal success against jamaica as well
I pity the fool....

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 11:11:43 AM »
Glad to see some technical and tactical changes being made along with some new players who seems to be responding very well to the new coach.

In football you need to take your chances and make changes sometimes.

Lets see what will happen next two games.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 12:56:02 PM »
WATCH Highlights of Trinidad & Tobago's 3-1 victory versus Nicaragua, in the second of two international friendlies played in Managua.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_38OB84ThAs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_38OB84ThAs</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 01:02:00 PM »
WATCH Post-match comments of T&T Head Coach, Tom Saintfiet following Trinidad and Tobago's 3-1 defeat of Nicaragua.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/U6fUzh_tPMA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/U6fUzh_tPMA</a>

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 01:56:24 PM »
fellas...it was a back 4...  carlos... mitchell .. abu bakr...forde...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 02:17:44 PM »
fellas...it was a back 4...  carlos... mitchell .. abu bakr...forde...

Correct.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 03:18:42 PM »
Much better T&T.

I agree.
He will add the others. This is basically a B team. In addition  he said that KJ is a possibility  for the future.

Not bad considering the quality of our team and that they only had two games.

Even the Nic. commentators were saying this was not the team from the first game.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 12:16:06 AM »
I glad for de players dem...dey get ah chuke..against a weak opponent...

I am not convinced ...not even a little bit..if allyuh feel is jus so we go beat people wid dat poor dress rehearsal....well tink again..

:bs:

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 05:22:57 AM »
All in the fullnest of time
Infamous words
You want to forget to remember
Or remember to forget

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 02:15:41 PM »

I am not convinced ...not even a little bit..if allyuh feel is jus so we go beat people wid dat poor dress rehearsal....well tink again..

I keep seeing that Nicaragua is a weak team,but looking at some of their recent results they don't appear that weak.The Caribbean champions Jamaica can tell you what happened at the"Office" in Kingston.We also failed to beat them with our best team in TT,what I think is,we can beat Surinam and Haiti with that same team that beat Nicaragua.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 02:37:21 PM »

I keep seeing that Nicaragua is a weak team,but looking at some of their recent results they don't appear that weak.The Caribbean champions Jamaica can tell you what happened at the"Office" in Kingston.We also failed to beat them with our best team in TT,what I think is,we can beat Surinam and Haiti with that same team that beat Nicaragua.

Do any of you ever look at the environment and what's surrounding the team at that time?

You think other factors are not at play when considering victories and a World Cup campaign?

Strikes, lack of funds, lack of prep, bad planning, external pressure... no insurance for players, cramped flights and internal battles with the fed

Do you take any of those factors into account?

If the fed creates a toxic enviroment for players and coaches, how do you expect them to perform?

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 03:55:51 PM »
Contro, ever since I followed TT football there's been trouble of some kind, it appears we thrive on all kinds of toxic developments.We now appear to have a real devil in the form of DJW, I don't know what's he up to, but if we keep winning things can't be that bad.So far so good, I can't say I'm "over the moon",but we still have our best team to call up, I will see how things unfold then.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 05:39:45 PM »

Do any of you ever look at the environment and what's surrounding the team at that time?

You think other factors are not at play when considering victories and a World Cup campaign?

Strikes, lack of funds, lack of prep, bad planning, external pressure... no insurance for players, cramped flights and internal battles with the fed

Do you take any of those factors into account?

If the fed creates a toxic enviroment for players and coaches, how do you expect them to perform?
so what does any of that have to do with tom saintfiet? hart had the choice to tell DJW to go to hell if he thought that he was being disrespected but he didn't, instead to continued with the disrespect and the bad pay despite seeing clear signs that things would only get worst.

hart also continued with players who showed no signs of improvement ala cyrus, cato, plaza,mitchell and marvin phillips these are the things that derailed his train. he also was becoming very predictable in his approach with each passing game.

don't misunderstand these comments to mean that i was in line with his firing, i personally thought it was counter productive at this juncture of the campaign and the federation boss should have seen this through to the end, but then again maybe his predictable style of play was the blue print for every team in the region to use against us, and it was used against us with frequency. haiti used the same tactics to beat us, as did jamaica -honduras-costa rica and recently martinique.

so now the only thing to do here since coach hart is definitely not coming back is to get behind coach tom saintfiet regardless of how much we maybe adverse to his hiring, anything else would be noise making.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 06:12:23 PM »
pull stones...very good post, all the points you made are facts, no shouting or bawling at anybody,we must now get behind the coach and hope for better, it's the best we can do.

1]; } ?>