March 29, 2024, 05:22:56 AM

Author Topic: Football is my life! One on one with Police FC’s winged wizard, Christon Thomas  (Read 775 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Football is my life! One on one with Police FC’s winged wizard, Christon Thomas
By Carlotta Rivas (Wired868.com)

“I gave up any big dreams of playing for an international team when I broke my ankle a second time. I was playing for [Superstar] Rangers when it happened the first time [and] I didn’t get the right therapy after the cast was taken off. So I had to take care of it for myself.

“I couldn’t afford the proper physical therapy, so it didn’t heal right. Then when I got the second break in the same place the doctor informed me that if I broke it a third time that would be the end of my football career.”

Clever, versatile and a fine dribbler, Police FC utility player Christon Thomas is one of the TT Pro League’s stand-out players. In truth, every time he crosses that white line, Thomas is risking his own health for the sport he loves.

The 29 year old former Trinidad and Tobago youth team international spoke one on one with Wired868 about how he is getting on:

When were you born?

I was born on the 5th of December 1987.

What is your home town?

I am from St Ann’s.

What school did you attend?

My first school I attended was St Ann’s RC, then I went on to Belmont Secondary and after to Mucurapo Senior Sec.

How do you describe yourself as person?

I am a very quiet person who loves my family, especially my daughter. I don’t talk much and I am very respectful of others.

What is something most people do not know about you?

I am a police officer and in my life I never disrespected anyone. I have a great sense of self-control and I am not easily distracted. This is so  because life taught me a very important lesson: that you never know who is who, so respect everyone.

What do you enjoy doing in their free time?

Playing with my daughter and playing and watching football with my friends in the community.

Who is your favorite player?

Lionel Messi of course. (Smiles) He is such a great dribbler when he has that ball, it is like magic.

What pushes you to succeed?

Football is who I am. It defines me and that’s what pushes me to succeed. I have never played football to gain fame nor an international contract. I play because it is my life. I grew up in a communal home with several other family members [and] football gave me the freedom and the space I needed to breathe. So when my parents went to work, I played football in the St Ann’s grounds across the road from us. And I still do actually.

What was your earliest football memory?

It was playing with my Uncle’s team called The Patriots. His name is Curtis Bateau. I was about 12 and if you saw me that day: this little fellas dribbling though all of the other team. (Smiles) It was great fun.

My first contract in the Pro League came with [San Juan] Jabloteh. I was too young to sign so my parents signed [and] I got a stipend for playing. I also played for Superstar Rangers [and] we won out our division in the North Zone that year.

Who was your most important coach?

That would be my football coach in Mucurapo, Mr Selris Figaro. The last thing he said to me was “stay healthy.” I didn’t understand it at first but, now I am in the Pro League, [I know personal health and diet] it is very important.

What makes you stand out as players?

My dribbling skills with the ball is what make me unique. There are others who can dribble the ball but I have my own style.

What is your ambition in the game?

I gave up any big dreams of playing for an international team when I broke my ankle a second time. I was playing for Rangers when it happened the first time [and] I didn’t get the right therapy after the cast was  taken off. So I had to take care of it for myself. I couldn’t afford the proper physical therapy, so it didn’t heal right.

Then when I got the second break in the same place, the doctor informed me that if I broke it a third time that would be the end of my football career. But I play on because I love the game so much… When I am not playing, I feel lost. (Pauses) I know the risks and I am putting thing in place [for that].

What was your best moment in football so far?

That would have to be when I was playing for Rangers and we played against Caledonia at the Hasely Crawford Stadium and within seconds of the start of the match I scored the first goal. We ended up drawing the game but I cannot forget that moment.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:37:54 AM by Flex »

1]; } ?>