June 02, 2020, 09:51:32 PM

Author Topic: Shannon Gomez Thread.  (Read 13193 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Shannon Gomez Thread.
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2017, 07:27:26 PM »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gomez: Red Bulls will provide an excellent test
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2017, 07:48:39 PM »
Gomez: Red Bulls will provide an excellent test
NYCFC.com

NYCFC’s first Desert Diamond Cup game is looming into view and Shannon Gomez believes that it will be a friendly with a little added heat.

Any game between the two local rivals will inevitably draw more attention from fans of both teams than your average preseason encounter.

However, Shannon still believes that ultimately this match will just be a case of finding out where the team are at as we build up to 2017.

Gomez told NYCFC.com: “I think for me it’s going to be a game I want to play in but I’d be happy to play against any other team on the field at this stage.

“I think playing Red Bulls is always going to be a heated match in certain aspects of the game but in terms of what we can take away from the game it’s just going to be excellent for us to test ourselves.

“We’ve just arrived in Tucson so we’re just getting the legs going, getting the blood flowing and getting some games in. The intensity is really high in training at the moment and the boys are clearly raring to go.

“I think the first half of preseason was excellent – we tried to carry out the coaches’ instructions and carry out their plans and we tried to implement what we’re trying to do in the sessions in the games, executing on our plans.

“Everybody complied to it and it’s a great sign going into the start of the season. It’s always vital to get off on the right foot in preseason and I think that’s happening, It’s just about sharpening up and getting some more games in while we’re here.”

Shannon featured in his second preseason game against SC Emelec in Ecuador last Wednesday and now he’s eager for more opportunities to impress with competition for places high in Head Coach Patrick Vieira’s team.

A player who endured a cruel 2016 season due to injuries, now the Trinidadian is firmly focused on looking ahead rather than peering into the rear view mirror.

“Ecuador was excellent – great fans, great atmosphere and a match against an excellent team,” Shannon said.

“The whole experience of it was something special for us and great exposure for our club. To experience the speed of the opposition and the physicality for our young team, it was a plus for us and going into a new season you can take some positives from that.

“I’m feeling really good – it was always part of the mind to keep yourself going, staying focused every day and not worrying about injuries or anything like that.

“I’m just trying to do the right things – to be myself on the field day in and day out.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2017, 04:11:23 PM »
CLICK HERE to get your authentic 2016/17 Shannon Gomez New York City FC jerseys

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shannon Gomez joins Pittsburgh Riverhounds on loan
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2017, 01:58:31 PM »
Shannon Gomez joins Pittsburgh Riverhounds on loan
riverhounds.com

The Pittsburgh Riverhounds have received defender Shannon Gomez on loan from New York City FC of MLS. Gomez, who recently became a permanent acquisition of NYCFC after originally signing on loan in 2016, is expected to compete for the Hounds for the remainder of the 2017 campaign.

MLS has entered into a 2017 Standard USL Loan Agreement for Gomez. This agreement contains a right of recall for MLS, which enables Gomez to play for a USL club and an MLS club throughout the duration of the loan period (through the end of 2017), subject to roster rules and compliance.

Head coach Dave Brandt said he expects Gomez to bring much needed depth and talent to a depleted Hounds back four, which has suffered a variety of injuries, including losing right back Rich Balchan in April to a season-ending Achilles injury.

“This was an opportunity for us to acquire a really sharp, quick, experienced young player from a top organization like New York City FC,” Brandt said. “We’ve obviously dealt with some injuries in the back and having a young, talented player like Shannon, who can play right back, will help us moving forward this season.”

Prior to joining NYCFC, Gomez, 20, played at W Connection of the Trinidad and Tobago League, where he began his professional career in 2014. He played every minute of the club’s four-game run in the 2015-16 CONCACAF Champions League appearance, including a 2-1 victory over Costa Rican side Saprissa.

Gomez was initially added by NYCFC as a Discovery Signing on loan in 2016, before officially signing a permanent contract this past offseason. He has yet to make his first team debut for NYCFC, dressing once in 2016 as a bench player for a 0-0 draw against the Chicago Fire on April 11.

A native of Chaguanas, Trinidad & Tobago, Gomez also has extensive experience in international competition, beginning in the T&T youth ranks in 2012. The defender’s most notable playing time with The Soca Warriors came in 2015, as he made two appearances for the national team and played in all five games at the 2015 CONCACAF U-20 Championships.

The club expects Gomez to be available for its next match on Tuesday, July 4 against the Charlotte Independence at Highmark Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. Tickets are still available and can be purchased at Riverhounds.com.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2017, 03:57:29 PM »
Not a good place for this kid to be

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2017, 05:38:47 PM »

Does not look good. That is a demotion as far as I am concern. All yuh think Kazakhstan is a better option?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2017, 06:59:16 PM »

Does not look good. That is a demotion as far as I am concern. All yuh think Kazakhstan is a better option?

Not necessarily. It relly eh no different than how EPL teams does loan some players to Championship teams. De fact is he has never played an MLS game for NYCFC, and he needs some playing time. A few of our players have been loaned out to USL or NASL teams while they were in the MLS. Kevan George, Carlyle Mitchell, Julius James, and Yohance Marshall come to mind.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2017, 09:45:37 PM »
In this instance I'm talking about the organization and how they do things as it is not a good fit for his development

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2017, 11:45:58 AM »

Not necessarily. It relly eh no different than how EPL teams does loan some players to Championship teams. De fact is he has never played an MLS game for NYCFC, and he needs some playing time. A few of our players have been loaned out to USL or NASL teams while they were in the MLS. Kevan George, Carlyle Mitchell, Julius James, and Yohance Marshall come to mind.

At least he will be playing and have a greater opportunity for development than sitting on the bench in MLS without playing.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2017, 12:59:15 PM »

At least he will be playing and have a greater opportunity for development than sitting on the bench in MLS without playing.

Eh heh yeah sure
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 01:00:58 PM by MEP »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2017, 09:51:01 PM »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2017, 10:00:02 PM »
Like is a coordinated effort by mls to release all the Trinis the same time. Conspir-rass-cy.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2017, 10:29:16 PM »
Like is a coordinated effort by mls to release all the Trinis the same time. Conspir-rass-cy.
either that or they join the  "we buss allyuh ass" sing-a-long and management get vex..but seriously, Williams and Cato showed potential but hardly saw improvement or worth.. a la JJ... This does not bode well if we can't get our players to experience higher leagues, and also advertise TT as a potential market for role players, as Jamaica has done, therby increasing their pool and choices.. Pro League experience alone, will most certainly guarantee us more cutass in the future.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2017, 10:48:30 PM »
Yea that's 4 of our players released by MLS clubs thus far. Hopefully these guys can be picked up by other clubs.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2017, 09:15:02 AM »
apart from Joevin and kevin...who has fallen off some, how many were standouts for those clubs....it may well be a deliberate culling, but can any claim a stake to being indispensably assets.......Joevin flat out tell Seattle to f**k off when dey try to pull dat hold up shit dey pull in away leg and still was "welcomed" back, want to guess why?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:18:49 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sacramento Republic FC sign Shannon Gomez
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2018, 07:52:40 PM »
Sacramento Republic FC sign versatile Trinidad and Tobago national team player Shannon Gomez
sacrepublicfc.com

Sacramento Republic FC have agreed to a USL contract with Shannon Gomez for the 2018 season, with a club option for the 2019 season, pending league and federation approval.

“Shannon is a very dynamic outside back that can get forward and really help us in the attack,” said Republic FC General Manager Todd Dunivant.“After a two-year stint with NYCFC, he is hungry to play and contribute to our squad.”

Gomez joins Republic FC after playing the last two seasons with MLS side New York City FC. Gomez originally joined NYCFC on loan from W Connection F.C., a first division club in Trinidad and Tobago.  Despite not logging minutes in an MLS match, Gomez impressed NYCFC enough to earn a contract with the club. He made his debut with NYCFC on June 15, 2016 during U.S. Open Cup play in which the NY Cosmos defeated NYCFC in the fourth round. 

In 2017, the 21-year-old joined the Pittsburgh Riverhounds on loan from NYCFC.  Gomez made 10 appearances with the Riverhounds, including seven starts and recorded an assist.

Gomez capped for the Trinidad and Tobago Under-20 National Team and led the Soca Warriors to the 2014 Caribbean title. Gomez has been called up to the National Team three times.

Sacramento Republic FC began training camp on Feb. 1 and will host their first 2018 friendly on Feb. 15 against MLS side Seattle Sounders FC, followed by a friendly versus MLS newcomers Los Angeles Football Club on Feb. 25.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2018, 04:27:09 AM »
Really wish him the best, but he needs to get out of the USL - a player can get lost and forgotten down there. If he sticks it out the best he can hope for is a change to promotion/relegation that some of the USA soccer head candidates have suggested.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2018, 08:47:54 AM »
Shannon Gomez sparkles against Seattle Sounders 2.

“Gomez is a defensive player, but his aggressiveness in offensive attacks really helped create pressure. His constant crosses and speed really made things uncomfortable for Seattle. He also managed to draw the biggest foul of the night which resulted in a penalty and Sacramento’s only goal.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Defender Shannon Gomez named to USL Team of the Week (#18)
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2018, 06:03:52 PM »
Gomez shone brightly as part of a Republic FC backline that allowed just one goal across 180 minutes, with Sacramento picking up a clean sheet against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC and conceding one goal against Swope Park Rangers. Gomez made 12 interceptions and won seven tackles across the two-match road trip.
https://www.sacrepublicfc.com/news_article/show/934837

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sunday Spotlight with Shannon Gomez (Friday edition)
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2018, 08:40:36 PM »
Sunday Spotlight with Shannon Gomez (Friday edition)
By William Hodges (indomitablecitysoccer.com)

I recently caught up with Sacramento Republic FC defender Shannon Gomez. It was something that I wanted to do for some time, so it was good to finally talk with the first-year defender from Trinidad and Tobago. We talked about the season so far, how he would evaluate his play, what he does away from the pitch, and more.

Normally I would have scheduled this to publish on Sunday as part of our Sunday Spotlight series, but with swim championships set for this weekend (yes, all weekend), I’m pushing this interview out today.

I found Gomez to be extremely personable, funny and someone that is really happy to be in Sacramento. It’s worth noting because sometimes this doesn’t come out in a transcribed interview. Anyway, enough of the chit chat. Below is my interview with Gomez.

We’ve been trying to catch up with your some time now Shannon. Have you enjoyed your time with the Republic so far?

I have. I’m having a lot of fun with Sacramento Republic. I am just trying to do well in the games, interact with the fans and the city. I’ve fallen in love with this club. The atmosphere [at Papa Murphy’s Park] is very crazy. It’s something that I think anybody would want to come and experience.

The city is very much behind us..win, lose or draw. The [fans] are always there. As the season has progressed, I’ve just become more comfortable and confident. I feel like every time I go out on the pitch, I owe Sacramento something.

How would you evaluate your own play? You seem to be comfortable in the left back spot, which was key to the two wins last week.

I think it’s just a mental thing. Obviously, I am a right-wing back, can play right-winger probably too. I think it’s more on the mental side when the coach decides...hey, we need you to play this position, [you have to say] I’m just going to give it 110 percent. I’m going to play to the best of my abilities. When coach Elliott put me at left back, I was just ready to my job. I think it was better for the team and we came away with two wins in a row, which is big for us. We needed that.

Where do you think the club is at right now?

I think we’re in a good place right now in terms of the season. We’ve put some pressure on teams with the last two wins. We’re not satisfied. We’re hungry for more. We want to be that team at the end of the season. That’s everyone’s individual and common goal.

I think right now, we’ve been doing well, but we want to hold ourselves to higher standards. We want to win games more convincingly. We want to close games out with clean sheets. We want to make our home field a fortress. Somewhere that opposing teams don’t want to play.

We have little areas where we still need to improve, which we’re working on. The trophy is there for us. Everyone is going to fight to get there, but it comes down to who wants it the most. We are going to prepare ourselves to be that team as best as we can.

Talk about your experience with your national team. What is it like putting on the uniform and representing your country?

I think it’s an honor for any player to represent their national team. I’ve cherished the opportunity. Every moment that I’ve gotten to play for the national team, even starting back from U20s, was a special moment in my life. As soon as I put on the red, black and white, I’m very honored to play for my country.

[And] I look forward to being back there at some point. Trinidad and Tobago is a small country, but has a big passion for the game. They take pride in terms of what they want you to bring to the national team. There is always a lot of belief going into games...we’ve done it with some of the best. We’ve done it with local players also. What can you bring to the table?

When you’re not on the pitch, what do you like to do to unwind?

I like hanging out with my teammates. It creates a closer bond between us. [It allows] us to understand each other better because we come from all walks of life. I like going to places where you can relax, like the pool or going to a water park. Just somewhere where you’re not thinking about soccer the whole time. We’re always locked into the week to get ready for games, but at some point, [you need] to refresh yourself, [go] get some food with some friends and learn something new besides soccer.

I usually hang out with our captain Jeremy Hall because of his knowledge and expertise. He’s been in the game a long time and shares his experiences and things he does to prepare himself for games, but he’s also a guy who knows all of Sacramento, so he’s someone I hang out with most of the time. We listen to music, play some basketball...which I am terrible at by the way [laughs].

Any fun, quirky thing about you that fans wouldn’t know?

[Laughs]. I’m a joker. I really try not to take life too seriously. Some moments I’m funny, some moments I’m not, but most times...I’ve very goofy. Most people probably know that by now. But on the field, I’m a whole different character. I just transform when it’s game time. At the end of the day, I probably want to win the game more than the opponent does, but off the field, I’m probably one of the biggest jokesters and that’s what my teammates know me to be. I’m one of the guys always dancing in the dressing room, horsing around with Wilson [Kneeshaw], playing music.

That’s just me. I just like to smile. Nothing too crazy. Just [trying to have] fun...it keeps us from being too uptight and serious with each other sometimes.

Thank you to Shannon Gomez for spending some time talking with us. You can follow him on Twitter at @ShannonGomez02.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2019, 05:39:31 AM »
WATCH: Interview with Sacramento Republic FC Defender Shannon Gomez. He talks about preparation for the 2019 USL Championship season and more.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/B6a1YC359Vc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/B6a1YC359Vc</a>

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2019, 02:46:31 AM »
While we’re on the topic of searching for fresh faces to boost the senior team, whatever happened to Shannon gomez, is he healthy and willing?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2019, 05:07:13 AM »
While we’re on the topic of searching for fresh faces to boost the senior team, whatever happened to Shannon gomez, is he healthy and willing?

He is one of those who have been ignored despite being a consistent starter at his clubs (apart from New York City FC) and turning in good performances for his club. Unfortunately, he suffered a torn ACL in his right knee in August, so he will be out for a while. Like Molino, that is the second ACL injury of his young career. Up until the injury, he played the most minutes of any player for Sacramento Republic FC for the season.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2019, 10:53:42 AM »

He is one of those who have been ignored despite being a consistent starter at his clubs (apart from New York City FC) and turning in good performances for his club. Unfortunately, he suffered a torn ACL in his right knee in August, so he will be out for a while. Like Molino, that is the second ACL injury of his young career. Up until the injury, he played the most minutes of any player for Sacramento Republic FC for the season.
even though I’m not supposed to believe in magic and bad omen i can’t help but acknowledge since the appointment of mr DJ williams we have been very unlucky in various aspects. Cummings shooting  molino’s injury  then hodges  then the string of bad decisions going against us by referees then missing out on the copa the gold cup and all the other age groups losing terribly missing out on other concacaf tournaments and the obvious decline of women’s football, has all been a thorn in our paw. never have I seen such a bad string of events.

honestly the past four years was a big gloomy ugly cloud that rained nothing but bad luck and disappointment on TT football, can’t wait to see the end of it, what a very gloomy disappointing four years it has been with absolutely nothing to look forward too.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:59:40 AM by pull stones »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shannon Gomez rejoins Sacramento Republic FC for 2020
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2019, 05:16:05 PM »
Shannon Gomez rejoins Sacramento Republic FC for 2020
Republic FC Communications

Sacramento Republic FC announced today it has reached a new agreement with defender Shannon Gomez. Terms of the new deal were not disclosed.

“Shannon has been excellent for us the past two seasons,” said Republic FC General Manager Todd Dunivant. “He takes his defending personally, and we look forward to getting a healthy Shannon Gomez back on the field next season.”

Despite missing the last three months of the 2019 season, Gomez still finished sixth on the team in clearances (37) and seventh in tackles won (25).

The 23-year-old had successful surgery in August to repair a meniscus and torn ACL in his right knee that he sustained during the second half of the regular season. Prior to the injury, the defender led the entire team in minutes played (1,495) and made 18 appearances in league play this season (21 in all competitions), 17 of which were starts.

In 2018, the defender was a mainstay in the Republic FC back line where he made 34 appearances, 33 as starts. Gomez contributed a goal and an assist as he helped to lead the Sacramento defense to the best defensive record in the Western Conference. 

The fullback arrived in Sacramento prior to the 2018 season after playing two seasons in Major League Soccer with New York City FC. Gomez originally joined NYCFC on loan from W Connection FC, a first division club in Trinidad and Tobago. While under contract with the MLS-club, Gomez was loaned out to the Pittsburgh Riverhounds where he made 10 appearances and tallied an assist.

Gomez has also represented his national team, having been capped by the Trinidad and Tobago Under-20 National Team. He’s led the Soca Warriors to the 2014 Caribbean title and has been called up to the Trinidad and Tobago Men’s National Team three times.