March 28, 2024, 05:16:27 AM

Author Topic: Sol Campbell Thread  (Read 9390 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sol Campbell Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2017, 09:31:23 PM »
Sol: I’m excited about T&T.
TTFA Media.

Campbell : I’m here for the long haul

“I am here for the long run. I want to qualify. I’m a winner and I will try to help Dennis and he is a fantastic man. He is a very detailed and passionate man.

Trinidad and Tobago Men’s team assistant coach Sol Campbell has come to these shores with a wealth of experience in the game from his days as a player with the England National Team over three World Cups and a career at Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Portsmouth.

In 2006 he became the only player to have represented England in six consecutive major tournaments, playing in the 1996, 2000 and 2004 European Championships, and the 1998, 2002 and 2006 World Cups. He was named in the Teams of the Tournament for the 2002 World Cup and 2004 European Championship. Other honours in the game include being in the Professional Footballers Association (PFA) Team of the Year three times (1999, 2003, and 2004).

The big man has spent the last couple weeks soaking in every bit the time in T&T as he serves as assistant coach to Dennis Lawrence.

“I am here for the long run. I want to qualify. I’m a winner and I will try to help Dennis and he is a fantastic man. He is a very detailed and passionate man. He has that in abundance and Trinidad and Tobago should feel very happy and lucky to have him at the helm because he is fighting every minute of the day to get it right for the team. It’s going to be hard work and not easy. We’ve lost the two games and we’ve got to start from scratch,” Campbell said.

“I’d like to continue and I think there’s a great product here. This is my first job. The reaction to me taking this job was very positive in England. It’s an international job, it’s a proper job and you are playing against top countries. There are battles in there,” he added. “I had good reactions from Patrick Vieira and Thierry Henry. It’s very difficult to get your first job in football and I am very pleased to be here.”

“I am a builder so wherever I am I like to build to the future. I think Trinidad and Tobago has got a wealth of a talent and a great future ahead,” he said.

“Dennis has been in the system with Roberto Martinez and he has been managing at Everton which is a top club. He is vastly experience in the game. The people have to realise he has been at the cutting edge of football in the Premiership. He knows what’s happening and bringing in all sorts of things into the FA with new and fresh ideas. He is a top man,” Campbell added.

As to what he’s seen of the T&T players so far, he noted “I’ve seen passion, skill and talent. There is a lot of talent here and all you need is structure and detail, knowing information and passing information among the clubs that these local players play at.”

He has that in abundance and Trinidad and Tobago should feel very happy and lucky to have him at the helm because he is fighting every minute of the day to get it right for the team. It’s going to be hard work and not easy. We’ve lost the two games and we’ve got to start from scratch,” Campbell said.

WATCH: Sol Campbell talks about his experience so far with the Trinidad and Tobago Men’s National Team

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cjPIjEe6Mxk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cjPIjEe6Mxk</a>
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 04:54:55 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sol Campbell Q&A: Talking Trinidadand Tobago, coaching and his future
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2017, 11:39:35 AM »
Sol Campbell Q&A: Talking Trinidad and Tobago, coaching and his future
By Tom Marshall (espnfc.com)

Sol Campbell has rolled his sleeves up and taken the plunge into what he hopes will be a successful coaching career.

It is not, however, necessarily the expected first step for a former player of Campbell's pedigree and standing in the game. Instead of taking a job back in England, the veteran of three World Cups accepted a call in January from incoming Trinidad and Tobago head coach Dennis Lawrence as the Caribbean side embarked on its tricky journey in CONCACAF World Cup qualifying.

In a Port of Spain hotel on Monday ahead of the Soca Warriors' crucial World Cup qualifying match against Mexico on Tuesday, ESPN FC got insight into where the 42-year-old Trinidad and Tobago assistant manager is and where he would like his coaching career to take him.

(This interview has been edited for clarity.)

ESPN FC: How did the job as assistant manager with Trinidad and Tobago come about?

Sol Campbell: Well, I got a phone call from Dennis Lawrence out of the blue, and that kind of started the ball rolling. Me and Dennis were on the same coaching courses on the Welsh FA. Once he got the job, he was looking around for coaches, and he phoned me, and I accepted, and I'm pleased to be here.

ESPN FC: What in particular attracted you to the job?

Campbell: I think you have to look at the whole situation. Dennis is a very experienced coach, and he coached at Wigan and Everton (under Roberto Martinez). Being there and understanding how he worked and how he puts detail into his work attracted me as well. I love international football. There's a challenge here, and I love a challenge, but for me, I totally believe his philosophy, and the staff he has assembled here is very, very professional. For me, it was a no-brainer to join.

ESPN FC: Assistant managers have varying roles, depending on the club or country setup. What are you specifically doing with Trinidad and Tobago?

Campbell: [I'm] looking at the whole team and saying my stuff. Taking sessions, working with the back four. [Coach] Stern [John] wasn't with us for a while, and I had to do a little bit of forward practice and shooting. It was fun! But I'm kind of looking at the back four and how the system works. Obviously, Dennis has his own ideas of how he wants football to be played, and it's good for him to be able to bounce ideas off, and so I'm part of that as well. It's usually just defenders and midfielders and looking around and being an expert eye on international football on what you can do, what you can't get away with, helping talking to some of the players in certain situations, certain positions, passing on my knowledge as well.

ESPN FC: Is this a long-term gig for you?

Campbell: For me, it's up to October, that's our last [World Cup qualifying] game. If we qualify, from there I'd roll on into the summer. I've been here for two and a bit weeks, and I've enjoyed my time. Dennis has brought in a fantastic team and is ultra-professional and detailed, and that's what I like about him.

ESPN FC: Your ambition must be to become a manager in the future?

Campbell: Yes.

ESPN FC: It's not very common to see a young English manager starting out abroad. When the time does come to become a manager in your own right, would you consider a job in MLS or in Europe, outside England?

Campbell: It's amazing. Jobs come in. There's India, there's China, there's MLS, there's Europe, but I'll probably look at more established areas in football for now. For me, that's mainland Europe. There's a bit of family, there's a bit of work as well, so I need to balance that out. I know sometimes the further afield you go, the more money you can earn, but then the further away you are from your family.

There is the work/life balance as well, but I totally understand that sometimes if you get an offer that's a really good offer, you have to seriously look at it because I want to get my career going, and I want to learn from Dennis being here as well ... and learn a different side of the game. Sometimes if you dive in too early, you can get burned, and you don't want that as a new, young manager. You want to earn your stripes, do the work, roll your sleeves up and do a good job. Experience comes with it.

ESPN FC: What kind of football would a Sol Campbell side play?

Campbell: I played in a very good Arsenal side, so for me, that's the type of football I want to be involved in. I want to be involved with guys who really care about the game, players on and off the field that are totally committed. Yes, everyone has fun as well, but I want guys that are really committed to the sport. I want youngsters that want to carve out a career. I want guys that are 30-plus and had an amazing career but are still hungry for success. That's the type of environment I want to be involved in. Playing-wise, I want guys who can attack, who can defend well. I want them to kick it to Row Z but also be able to be calm on the ball at the same time. I want complete players in all positions because you never know what is going to come at you in European football or domestic.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2017, 12:32:18 PM »
ESPN FC: It's not very common to see a young English manager starting out abroad. When the time does come to become a manager in your own right, would you consider a job in MLS or in Europe, outside England?

The response should be because I'm black I have to seek opportunities elsewhere.....just look at top flight football how many black ex-players do you see becoming managers....look at your MLS too other that PV where are they?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2017, 10:01:10 PM »
WATCH: Sol Campbell reflects on the World Cup Qualifiers against Panama and Mexico

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5nCI5x26M0w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5nCI5x26M0w</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sol Campbell open to Australian A-League coaching gig
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 05:44:49 AM »
Sol Campbell open to Australian A-League coaching gig
By Carly Adno (The Daily Telegraph)

HE’S only just begun his managerial career, so Sol Campbell isn’t about to rule out an A-League stint if an opportunity came up to further his aspirations.

The Arsenal Invincible was joined yesterday by Sydney FC’s Bobo at the Opera House as the final batch of tickets goes on sale for Arsenal’s preseason tour of the Harbour City.

It’s just 100 days to go until the English Premier League giants arrive to play the Western Sydney Wanderers and Sydney FC at ANZ Stadium, with both games on track to sell out.

Campbell is currently the assistant manager of Trinidad and Tobago as the Caribbean nation attempts to qualify for the World Cup, but he’s been hearing good things about Australian football.

“There’s passion here, even when you look at sport in general in Australia,” Campbell said.

“So you never know. I’ve had a few friends who have played out here — Dwight (Yorke) has played, Emile Heskey as well, and they’ve really enjoyed themselves. You just never know, do you?

You never know what can happen, but at the moment I’m just concentrating on this World Cup situation. You’ve just got to do the business and if it goes well for you then you can go on from there and look at options in the future.”

He may even land up back at Arsenal, where the managerial career of Arsene Wenger has come under intense scrutiny. Campbell admits the last decade hasn’t been good enough for the club, but he expects Wenger to sign on for another two years despite the real possibility of Arsenal finishing outside of the top four for the first time in his reign.

But, if Wenger does stay on, Campbell hopes some changes are still made.

“I think he will sign again, but he will have to look really hard at a lot of things at the club when he signs,” Campbell said.

“If he does take these two years, maybe (he must) change a few things - the structure, how he thinks about football, the type of players he buys.

“The fans obviously want something else, but I think he’s a good guy and he just needs to tweak a few things.”

He’ll have to, because for the first time in over two decades it looks like fierce rivals Tottenham will finish above Arsenal. Campbell famously made the move across north London from Spurs to Arsenal in 2001 and says it will take a miracle for the Gunners to topple their rivals now.

“It’s going to be hard to get above Tottenham because that would mean we’d have to get second and that’s not going to happen. I’m just being a realist,” he said.

“We really have to concentrate on getting fourth, that’s the objective, even though even that’s going to be a push.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 04:55:08 AM »
Sol Campbell: ‘I’m prepared to go to a non-league club and just get a win bonus’
By Sachin Nakrani (theguardian).

During his playing days Sol Campbell went about his business, on and off the pitch, with ice-cold assurance, so it is gripping, on a warm afternoon in west London, to hear him speak with burning desperation about his desire to become a manager. The former England defender may look relaxed as he sips a cappuccino outside an Italian restaurant off the King’s Road but it soon becomes clear that he is at his wits’ end about, as he puts it, “building another career”. Campbell has standing, qualifications and coaching experience but he cannot make the breakthrough and such is his frustration that the 42-year-old is willing to offer his services for free.

“It’s proving difficult and if I have to start at the bottom, I will,” he says. “People may think that I just want to manage in the Premier League but I’m prepared to go to a non-league club, and if they can’t pay me a salary just pay me a win bonus. I’m up for that. I won’t be up for that four or five years down the line but definitely for the first year, as long as it’s a good club with ambition. I’m itching to start, I just need a chance, even just an interview in which I can say: ‘Take me for free and I’ll show you what I can do.’”

It was in May 2012 that Campbell called time on a playing career that earned him 73 caps and two Premier League titles with Arsenal and he has largely spent the proceeding five years preparing for a life in management. A course with the Football Association of Wales earned Campbell a Uefa pro licence and then in February he took up an invitation to become assistant coach of Trinidad & Tobago, working alongside the former Wrexham, Swansea, Crewe and T&T centre-half Dennis Lawrence as part of the island’s attempt to qualify for next summer’s World Cup.

“It’s going really well given the budget and infrastructure we have is limited,” says Campbell. “With the head coach Dennis, Stern John [a fellow assistant coach and a former T&T striker] and a few others, the quality of training has been excellent and we’ve gone toe to toe with some of the big countries only to have been let down by some interesting decisions from officials.

“I go over in two-and-a-half-week blocks and usually eight days before the game we’re building up for. I mainly work on the defensive side but I’m also there to add a general level of quality to the setup. I’ve enjoyed the challenge.”

Alongside his work in the Caribbean, Campbell has visited Italy to watch training sessions at Sampdoria and Milan and travelled to the United States to observe his former Arsenal team-mate Patrick Vieira manage New York City. Each experience has been enriching and strengthened not only Campbell’s desire to manage but his openness to doing so abroad. To that end he is planning to develop his language skills. “A little bit of Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and French,” he says. “Something that gives me a base to work from.”

But the ideal scenario for Campbell would be to secure a job in England, because he has a young family, so he can continue his ambassadorial work with Arsenal and because that is where he spent the entirety of a playing career that began at Tottenham Hotspur in 1992, ended at Newcastle United in May 2011 (he officially called it a day 12 months later) and in between earned him a reputation as one of the finest central defenders of his generation. Familiarity breeds comfort but for Campbell the search for a post on these shores has become increasingly disheartening.

“I’ve spoken to a couple of agents to help get the word out that I’m available but so far there’s only been tentative inquiries,” he says. “Some clubs may be thinking: ‘We don’t want to talk to Sol because of his history,’ but that’s what an interview is for – meet the person and get to know what he’s actually like. If I don’t impress you in an interview then fine, but at least give me that chance. That’s all I want; to talk to a chairman or owner about my philosophy and what I can do for their team. I’m a winner. I love to build. I’ve got great ideas. I’ve got the passion. I’m very diligent, and if given a chance I’ll work my rear end off to be a success.”

Campbell’s passion is emphatic and what also catches the attention is his mention of “history”, which, it becomes obvious, is in reference to his outspokenness on British football’s attitude to race. In an interview with the Guardian in September 2013, Campbell suggested “archaic” attitudes to black players in this country would force him to begin his coaching career abroad and six months later, in an extract from his biography that appeared in the Sunday Times, he accused the Football Association of being “institutionally racist”.

In both instances it can be argued Campbell has a point, and as for opportunities for black coaches the situation has, if anything, got worse. In September 2013 there were four British and Irish BAME (black, Asian and minority ethnic) managers working across England’s 92 professional clubs – that figure is now down to two: Chris Hughton at Brighton & Hove Albion and Keith Curle at Carlisle United. Last month Heather Rabbatts stood down as a nonexecutive director of the FA because of her frustration at the lack of British black coaches in football.

Campbell would, then, be within his rights to stand by his views but he is keen to stay away from such controversy. “I don’t want to rub anyone up the wrong way,” he explains. “I’ve got to the stage where I don’t want to keep banging the same drum. I’m a doer and I just want to do it. Whatever attitudes, prejudices, stereotypical ideas that are in front of me, I will break them. But the only way I can break them is by getting a job, and if I need to start in the gutter, I will start in the gutter and work my way up. Money isn’t an issue.”

And how would a Sol Campbell-led side, here or abroad, perform? “Very defensive but amazing on the counterattack,” he says. “Like Arsenal of old.”

There follows a chuckle, with Campbell clearly aware that replicating the style of play that made him, Vieira and others not only title winners under Arsène Wenger but invincibles is easier said than done.

Campbell is serious, however, when tackling the assertion that one reason he may struggle to break into management is because of the widely held view that great players generally fail to become great managers. “Zidane. Cruyff. Rijkaard. Pep. Even Deschamps – they’ve all achieved a heck of a lot as managers and they were all great players,” he replies. “So no, I’m not buying that. It’s about being given a chance, that’s all I want. And once I get into the system, that’s it, I’ll be flying.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2017, 01:45:16 AM »
Campbell sees bright future in T&T football.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

SOL CAMPBELL, assistant coach of the Trinidad and Tobago men’s football team, sees a bright future in the squad, as they look towards the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.

The 43-year-old ex-England defender, who was recruited by men’s coach Dennis Lawrence in March, said in a recent interview, “sometimes we’ve got to get on with it. (The 2018 Road to Russia campaign was) difficult.

“Obviously it was a new management,” he continued. “We’ve shown improvement and we’ve shown that we can win games. That’s the main thing. We’ve just got to get it together.”

Campbell added, “In terms of the players, sometimes when the players go away, they’ve got to maintain that high level of training so when they come back to play for us, they’re nice and strong.”

This was Campbell’s first high-profile coaching stint, but he is unsure of what his future, both short-term and long-term will be.

“It’s all up in the air,” he noted. “I think I enjoyed the win (against the United States). I want to keep on coaching. I want to be in the football environment. So I’ll keep on plugging away.”

Campbell, who starred with Tottenham, Arsenal and Portsmouth in the English Premier League, was born to Jamaican parents. But this was his first time in Trinidad.

“I haven’t been to Tobago,” he admitted. “I’ll (like to go) there and check it out. I’ve only been to Maracas beach.

At the same time, I’ve been working with the team so I haven’t had too much time off. It’s been all about getting the team right and helping out and supporting Dennis.”

Will he also want to help Caribbean football, as well as footballers get contracts in the United Kingdom?

Campbell replied, “We have to get this right first, get the Caribbean right first, get the team right and I think everything will look after itself.

As long as we can do everything properly and professionally, from top to toe, the results will shine. It’s now about how (T&T) improve and keep on striving for the future, and doing the right things.”

Finally, how he foresees Arsenal’s fortunes in the 2016-2017 Premier League season?

The muscular Campbell responded, “It’s early days. We’ve got to keep on going. You never know what’s going to happen.

Hopefully we can get one or two players around January time. It’s going to be interesting. It’s a strong league. Manchester United, (Manchester) City, Chelsea, they’re really (doing) well. I think Arsenal’s got a chance but we’ve got to keep on going.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2018, 09:18:07 AM »
Sol Campbell appointed manager of League 2 Club Macclesfield Town

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/27/sol-campbell-macclesfield-managers-job
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2018, 03:06:05 PM »
Congrats to Sol. He kept pushing his message from the trenches. Hopefully he gets more than ah 'managerial cobo sweat'.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2018, 05:20:46 PM »
Good for Sol, have to start from somewhere, gain experience and build his resume.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2018, 07:38:27 PM »
If it good for Sol, then it is also good for Dennis.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2018, 10:22:36 PM »
So Dwight still holding he breath for premier, suppose the ppl cyah tell when he turn blue. Somebody tell him we have a Rangers in the PFL nah

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2018, 07:11:48 AM »
So Dwight still holding he breath for premier, suppose the ppl cyah tell when he turn blue. Somebody tell him we have a Rangers in the PFL nah

I luv Dwight. I think he did great for TT and WI players in Europe. But he eh serious when it come to coaching. Dwight could have gotten started in the pro or super leagues easily. Or even try a conference team in England. He may have English passport but that does not mean he is entitled to be given a upper level coaching job. A head coaching in England is a difficult thing to get. Look how Gerrard had to go outside of England to get that current job he holds. Lampard went in the trenches also before getting Derby.  Zidane coached Madrid's junior teams before getting the senior team. Look how Latas has been plodding in the trenches all these years. Whappen, he doh want to get mud on face? Also he must take into consideration he has to battle other continental coaches. Pepe, Jose, Klopp, Sarri, Wenger, to name a few. Maybe he has some strategy that we don't about.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:14:00 AM by Deeks »

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2018, 09:19:58 AM »
Deeks I feel you but use better examples nah.

Lampard went straight to a championship club and Dwight has applied for that level job in the past.
Gerrard went straight to Rangers. Not exactly slumming it.
Zidane coached Real Madrid Castilla in the Segunda B.

Dwight has been known to spend time conducting sessions with Man U reserves. This is similar to what Gerrard and Lampard managerial experience has been prior to accepting their positions. Now I not saying is anything sinister, perhaps Dwight does not have the aptitude or teams are afraid to take a chance on a player who was a known Playboy and regular tabloid fodder. Perhaps.

Maybe the conference teams don't compensate as much as his various appearance gigs and TV commentary does. In which case he is loathe to take the hard way around?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:22:22 AM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2018, 09:32:08 PM »
Dwight delusional.

It  is difficult for a black british born former english player to get a top managerial job in England.

Why would they offer Dwight a job when he not even  british born and never even represented the country?

That's like us offering some Guyanese or bajan former pro league player the job  when we have people like Dwarika etc available.

Alluh forget the next level of managers also being groomed for the national team? So the more of them getting the experience the better it is for the national team selection.

Dwight fighting a losing battle. Drogba would quicker get the Chelsea job before Dwight even get a whiff at Man U reserves.  Dwight isn't even "british" so infront of him are black british former players.

Plus it probably doesn't help that his personal life is always splattered across the front-papers every now and then neither.

He should probably aim for Asst at USL, MLS etc and even that would be difficult.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2018, 10:32:07 PM »
Well Congo, you explained it better than me.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2018, 09:00:07 AM »
The man has zero claim to a job in England.

He tries to make it a race issue but the problem with that is that HE is a foreign national.

He isn't British/English.

Lampard/Gerrard etc may be curry favour but also remember they are both club and country "legends".

Does anyone in the UK take Dwight seriously? Football is a business and managers are in control of multi million pound assets. Would Dwight's personal affairs affect the brand of the football club etc.

It may be a race issue for black british footballers but it may not be an issue for Dwight. It may just be a case of Dwight being a non EU national from a country with significantly less football capital.

The man has choices like people rightfully said. He can start here in TnT or even try the lower leagues in England. I do recall him saying he rejected an offer from the lower leagues a couple years ago but I could be wrong. He can also try the far east and asia etc.

He seems to want to hold on to Man U as much as possible but growth and opportunities may require migration.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2018, 09:12:30 AM »
congo, isn't your position regarding Dwight and branding undermined by the reality that he essentially serves as a brand ambassador of several entities, including Manchester United?

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2018, 10:42:45 AM »
congo, isn't your position regarding Dwight and branding undermined by the reality that he essentially serves as a brand ambassador of several entities, including Manchester United?

I don't think being a Brand Ambassador for UTD is a big deal. I'm sure that is something that is available to all players regardless of their past "misdeeds".

It's not like he's the face of the club. Being a manager of a club is different and attracts a different level of attention from "fans" and media. I think he would be much more welcomed by the British public if his personal life wasn't tied to a person who is now considered a walking train wreck.

I'm not sure what else is a brand ambassador for? I saw something he had with an alcohol brand but that seems to be tied in to Utd as well. I think brands in the UK would honestly steer clear of him because of his ex. Tough situation regardless.

No owner/club would want their manager's personal life in the news every couple of days.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/katie-price-demands-500k-dwight-13614292

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6399009/Katie-Price-urges-Harveys-absent-father-Dwight-Yorke-life-emotional-snap.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/moment-katie-price-found-out-13526888

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2018, 12:46:59 PM »
I'm not convinced that Dwight is being punished or suffering the consequences of Katie Price - certainly not exclusively. It also has not impeded the media from having him play a role on match day pre-match and post-match. After John Terry becomes a manager lehwe talk. Giggs also had salacious coverage that directly concerned his conduct and he is along the way.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2018, 12:49:27 PM »

He tries to make it a race issue but the problem with that is that HE is a foreign national.

Lampard/Gerrard etc may be curry favour but also remember they are both club and country "legends".

Does anyone in the UK take Dwight seriously? Football is a business and managers are in control of multi million pound assets. Would Dwight's personal affairs affect the brand of the football club etc.

It may be a race issue for black british footballers but it may not be an issue for Dwight. It may just be a case of Dwight being a non EU national from a country with significantly less football capital.

The man has choices like people rightfully said. He can start here in TnT or even try the lower leagues in England. I do recall him saying he rejected an offer from the lower leagues a couple years ago but I could be wrong. He can also try the far east and asia etc.

He seems to want to hold on to Man U as much as possible but growth and opportunities may require migration.

According to the Home Office, what's Dwight's status?

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2018, 01:38:00 PM »
I'm not convinced that Dwight is being punished or suffering the consequences of Katie Price - certainly not exclusively. It also has not impeded the media from having him play a role on match day pre-match and post-match. After John Terry becomes a manager lehwe talk. Giggs also had salacious coverage that directly concerned his conduct and he is along the way.

I don't think that it is about "punishment". More about it not being a good "look" for the club. Again, those roles, match day etc are not major roles requiring major responsibilities. They take any reputable footballer off the street for entertainment purposes. They show up, have make up applied to them and talk for 90 minutes.

The man isn't some pariah, he just fell into media trap of being viewed as "dead beat" dad. It doesn't help that he is black and she is white neither.

Remember Terry and Giggs may have also done dirty but they didn't do it with a national trainwreck who every couple of days reminds the entire nation. The general public keep replaying those episodes over and over again.

Are we completely ignoring Thierry Henry and Patrick Viera. But just look what it took though....2 former decorated footballers who were considered to be the best of their generation in their positions.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »

According to the Home Office, what's Dwight's status?

Legal status is different from "cultural" status. Doesn't mean that he would be viewed as "one of them". He would still be viewed as an immigrant. They already kick up a fuss for the other EU managers in the league and managing the national team. The status just makes it easier to process the paper work to go through but there are still cultural barriers to break down.

I think that the message is valid I just don't think that it can come from Dwight. I think that is something that british born players  such as Sol and probably even Shaka could try and fight seeing as that is THEIR country of birth. Dwight could always pack up and go back Tobago if he fed up.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2018, 05:41:16 PM »
Shaka case is a bit different. Yes he born in England and has rights as any British born. But Shaka has a Trinidadianess in him that may even put him at a disadvantage when applying for a coaching job. But he has found his way in broadcasting.

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2018, 06:34:59 AM »
Trinidadians have been living in a false sense of reality they think everything in life is suppose to be easy the black Americans have been dealing with obstacles all there lives that they had to overcome and they succeeded Trinidadians always chose the easy way out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2019, 05:53:23 AM »
Sol continues to plug on in the trenches and ultimately it will serve him well. He's been handed lemons and he's trying to  make lemonade. Respect fuh that!

Here's an article that is tied in to the previous posts on this thread.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2019, 10:11:15 AM »
Sol continues to plug on in the trenches and ultimately it will serve him well. He's been handed lemons and he's trying to  make lemonade. Respect fuh that!

One of the reasons I listed him on my shortlist of coaches for the national team. His situation at Southend is similar to what we're going through. It will be good to see him in the coaching ranks of PL one day, sounds like he has the hunger and desire.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2019, 11:47:37 AM »

One of the reasons I listed him on my shortlist of coaches for the national team. His situation at Southend is similar to what we're going through. It will be good to see him in the coaching ranks of PL one day, sounds like he has the hunger and desire.

I think he's more interested in the day to day of club management. Also, definitely not interested in fighting to get paid. But, either way, the other clear impediment is lack of experience.

1]; } ?>