March 28, 2024, 11:23:58 PM

Author Topic: Evolving tactical formations in International Football  (Read 3309 times)

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Evolving tactical formations in International Football
« on: February 02, 2017, 10:52:13 AM »
Not sure if highlighted in a previous thread so mods can merge if necessary.

I am looking at how (primarily) clubs are starting to re-organize themselves tactically.

There is an increase in the use of 3 centre backs as part of either a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1 formation. If you look at the likes of Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool as use it as part of a standard formation these days.

I must admit its a formation i like as it provides a solid defensive formation and frees up the wing backs offensively without creating a cover issue if they are caught up the field. especially if you deploy 2 defensive midfielders with that back 3 you will always have 5 defenders available to form a strong defensive spine.

Is this something that should be deployed locally? We have real defensive frailties especially using a flat back 4 with our wing backs having technical issues and switching off. We at least have a good pool of Centre backs that we can chose 3 in every game scenario well for me Bateau plus 2.

What would our strongest eleven be in a 3-4-2-1 formation?

GK - Williams
CB - Bateau, Mitchell, Bakr/Marshall
MD - Cato, Hyland, Boucaud/George, Garcia
FW - Molino, J. Jones
ST - K. Jones

I find that our traditional 2 centre halves have been exposed too much too often over the last 18 months.  It is something that could throw competitors who have scouted T&T off a bit if we change it up tactically. The formation does not limit us offensively either. Thoughts?
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Re: Evolving tactical formations in International Football
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 11:05:20 AM »
boy I have been calling for this years now, maturana try it once, d team look bad, and people on here start acting like it evil, asking who does play 3-5-2 in this day. look these formation "coming back", wonder what dem same men go say now....seeing as how we prefer to follow as ah people, rather dan right we own story

Latas switched to dat against Jam in u17 in d last mins and we looked good, it jus need time to be drilled well
and a focus on physical conditioning for those who will be deployed at wingback
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:07:59 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 11:53:05 AM »
G not a bad formation/line-up. The one thing I will argue is that the wide players have a lot of covering to do defensively so I will prefer have JJ and Cato since they understand that it takes from playing outside backs with their club with the ability to go forward. Those guys  should be capable of dropping back deep when necessary and can be explosive moving forward e.g. Moses of Chelsea, he's playing that role excellent this year.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 12:25:38 PM »
G not a bad formation/line-up. The one thing I will argue is that the wide players have a lot of covering to do defensively so I will prefer have JJ and Cato since they understand that it takes from playing outside backs with their club with the ability to go forward. Those guys  should be capable of dropping back deep when necessary and can be explosive moving forward e.g. Moses of Chelsea, he's playing that role excellent this year.

With Cato, there has been clear evidence to the contrary. "Should"? Yes. In practice? Not what one should expect.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 12:52:25 PM »
boy I have been calling for this years now, maturana try it once, d team look bad, and people on here start acting like it evil, asking who does play 3-5-2 in this day. look these formation "coming back", wonder what dem same men go say now....seeing as how we prefer to follow as ah people, rather dan right we own story

Latas switched to dat against Jam in u17 in d last mins and we looked good, it jus need time to be drilled well

Pacho was ostracized by the so called know it alls on this board for trying to implement this...

I think in order for this formation to work with our current team, you need someone like Cummings, or if Molino up to the task functioning well to alleviate pressure on the DMs jmho

However, I'm sure the naysayers will flock to say Pacho didn't know what he was doing which is normally their lame excuse....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 01:13:55 PM »

Pacho was ostracized by the so called know it alls on this board for trying to implement this...

I think in order for this formation to work with our current team, you need someone like Cummings, or if Molino up to the task functioning well to alleviate pressure on the DMs jmho

However, I'm sure the naysayers will flock to say Pacho didn't know what he was doing which is normally their lame excuse....

these systems require a collective effort in all area, but wingbacks dat full of running key, joevin might be a good candidate,he has the speed and fitness, but seems to not like fullback much, always get the sense that he was constantly auditioning for winger at Seattle and never fully embraced LB, until d playoffs at least. not sure who else have d running, DISCIPLINE, conditioning and awareness required for the role....and joevin does still switch off plenty........so drillin real drillin required once d talent can be identified.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:18:43 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 01:31:53 PM »

these systems require a collective effort in all area, but wingbacks dat full of running key, joevin might be a good candidate,he has the speed and fitness, but seems to not like fullback much, always get the sense that he was constantly auditioning for winger at Seattle and never fully embraced RB, until d playoffs at least. not sure who else have d running, DISCIPLINE, conditioning and awareness required for the role....and joevin does still switch off plenty........so drillin real drillin required once d talent can be identified.

You hit the nail on the head brother... discipline is key and whether the player buys into the role itself.. pacho couldn't get Yorke and the star boys to buy into it, hart was getting them to buy into his system slowly but surely...

The question remains, will Tallest get them to buy in? Or what system will he employ, I can't remember for the life of me what system Was running at Everton, maybe someone could shed light on this and it will give us a perspeticve as to what he may try with the national team

Peltier had the speed to be integrated into this system but he mess up... Cyrus has the potential but since the dictator take over he has been a shadow of himself..

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 01:42:34 PM »
The good thing with the WB in a 3 man defense formation is that they are less of a defensive liability. When we line up defensively behind the ball we are ok as it becomes a back 5. It is in transition from offense to defense where we tend to get caught consistently with a back 4 when a Cyrus or a David out of position for a speedy counter. That extra centre back provides the necessary cover when the play breaks down up the field.

Ah mean I don't hold any coaching badge but just using common sense in breaking down what has been a problem area for us over the medium to short term without compromising the attacking impetus we need in these next run of games. We may not have the individual talent of defenders at Chelsea or Spurs but we have our strengths too. Just to get the tactics right and impart it to the group of players selected.

My hope is that with our strongest 11, all except the GK playing abroad is that they can professionally adopt any formation provided to them, even if they assemble 4-5 days before a match. That is real international football and coaching.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 01:52:48 PM »
The good thing with the WB in a 3 man defense formation is that they are less of a defensive liability. When we line up defensively behind the ball we are ok as it becomes a back 5. It is in transition from offense to defense where we tend to get caught consistently with a back 4 when a Cyrus or a David out of position for a speedy counter. That extra centre back provides the necessary cover when the play breaks down up the field.

Ah mean I don't hold any coaching badge but just using common sense in breaking down what has been a problem area for us over the medium to short term without compromising the attacking impetus we need in these next run of games. We may not have the individual talent of defenders at Chelsea or Spurs but we have our strengths too. Just to get the tactics right and impart it to the group of players selected.

My hope is that with our strongest 11, all except the GK playing abroad is that they can professionally adopt any formation provided to them, even if they assemble 4-5 days before a match. That is real international football and coaching.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
I pity the fool....

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 02:35:44 PM »
Would have loved to see this system employed with Joevin now and Carlos in his prime as the wingbacks, but alas if wishes were horses...
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 03:07:07 PM »
A back 3 could also become a back 4 as well with the weak side "wingback" tucking in and thus look more orthodox
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 03:11:22 PM »
good formation for open play but seriously more need to be done defensively on set pieces too. back line (in particular bakr) get destroyed in that last game.

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 03:15:53 PM »

these systems require a collective effort in all area, but wingbacks dat full of running key, joevin might be a good candidate,he has the speed and fitness, but seems to not like fullback much, always get the sense that he was constantly auditioning for winger at Seattle and never fully embraced RB, until d playoffs at least. not sure who else have d running, DISCIPLINE, conditioning and awareness required for the role....and joevin does still switch off plenty........so drillin real drillin required once d talent can be identified.

You hit the nail on the head brother... discipline is key and whether the player buys into the role itself.. pacho couldn't get Yorke and the star boys to buy into it, hart was getting them to buy into his system slowly but surely...

The question remains, will Tallest get them to buy in? Or what system will he employ, I can't remember for the life of me what system Was running at Everton, maybe someone could shed light on this and it will give us a perspeticve as to what he may try with the national team

Peltier had the speed to be integrated into this system but he mess up... Cyrus has the potential but since the dictator take over he has been a shadow of himself..

Roberto mainly preferred a 4-2-3-1 but also employed a 4-3-3 and even 4-4-2 depending on opponent. However whatever system he used Ross Barkley was the fulcrum and the attacks normally came through him. Ross suited this as he was built like a brick s**t house, strong, speed and has a powerful shot. Roberto even described him as a mix of Paul Gascoigne and Michael Ballack. Doubt we have a player like that and it's kinda unfair to predict how Dennis will set up his teams to play based on what Roberto did at Everton.

Don't even mention Belgium cause their technical committee set up a plan some 10 years ago that commissioned all youth national teams to play 4-3-3 to provide a certain type of player for the Senior Team, hence they have such an abundance of technically gifted players of all positions at the minute. Now Roberto has them playing 3-4-3.

Remember Hart tried the guys on a 4-3-3 leading up to the 2015 Gold Cup and he had to switch back to 4-2-3-1 as there wasn't enough time to implement it. Time is of essence especially when implementing a new system on players/team when with their clubs it might be a different position and system. Conte is being praised now  but he had to shuffle the deck to get the right system to for the players available and the demands. And he is ah man dat like to switch systems as a tactic versus different opposition. At Juvetus was 3-5-2, 5-3-2 and even 4-2-4.

Lawrence just has to get his tactics right, pray the players buy into it and hope he get a lil luck!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 03:43:38 PM »
To play these type of formations, one needs time to get these fully implemented. Will DL have the time to get this down pack for the next game? That is left to be seen. The clubs have a hard time implementing their game plans, and they have more time, far less a national coach doing this in five days. Ask Hart.

As far as TT is concern, I think we have the candidates(Cato and JJ) to do it. But are they ready mentally to do this for 90 mins. Because if they can't, teams will counter attack and burn we arse. What if JJ or Cato not playing? Who else has the mindset to fill those roles? If you have the players to do it, that is all well and good. Then implement it. But I don't think we have players(other than Cato and JJ) with the mindset to do it.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 03:50:01 PM »
Would have loved to see this system employed with Joevin now and Carlos in his prime as the wingbacks, but alas if wishes were horses...

Joevin WAS used as a wingback under Hart

Problem was.....he hardly ever used to track back

And to those who say he does it for his club......he doesn't track back that much.  When he plays wing back for Seattle....he's more of a stay at home defender.  Now...that limits his effectiveness going forward but Seattle has enough quality in the attacking third to overcome that.

Later in the season....Seattle began using Joevin in the same way that Hart was using him for the national team...as a wide sided left midfielder.

In the MLS final....Joevin hardly overlapped.  His role was clearly defined i.e. stay at home....and essentially Seattle used the THREAT of Joevin going forward as a counter to Toronto FC's own wide players taking too many liberties going down his side.

At the end of the day....it comes down to 2 things:

Personnel.....T&T has relatively fewer attacking options if JJ plays as wing back which puts more pressure on midfield and defence, compared to Seattle.

JJ's willingness to fully perform the role for club vs country

Something to bear in mid....he was damned well effective in that "higher up the pitch" role for T&T against Guatemala.  Without that, we wouldn't be in the Hex.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 04:19:15 PM »

And to those who say he does it for his club......he doesn't track back that much.  When he plays wing back for Seattle....he's more of a stay at home defender.  Now...that limits his effectiveness going forward but Seattle has enough quality in the attacking third to overcome that.

Later in the season....Seattle began using Joevin in the same way that Hart was using him for the national team...as a wide sided left midfielder.

In the MLS final....Joevin hardly overlapped.  His role was clearly defined i.e. stay at home....and essentially Seattle used the THREAT of Joevin going forward as a counter to Toronto FC's own wide players taking too many liberties going down his side.

Personnel.....T&T has relatively fewer attacking options if JJ plays as wing back which puts more pressure on midfield and defence, compared to Seattle.

Something to bear in mid....he was damned well effective in that "higher up the pitch" role for T&T against Guatemala.  Without that, we wouldn't be in the Hex.

I'm aware that JJ was used that way by SH. I was just fantasizing about having BOTH Carlos and JJ at their best, in those roles at the same time!  :beermug:
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 04:20:42 PM »

I personally think he won't want to......as I said before....doh tink he like fullback, thinks he prefers the role of constant goal threat......can he be persuade\motivated to is another matter entirely.......I identified him because he is the only one with the fitness and speed that I could identify off the top of my head.....no one else comes to mind really
I pity the fool....

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 05:34:30 PM »
I personally think he won't want to......as I said before....doh tink he like fullback, thinks he prefers the role of constant goal threat......can he be persuade\motivated to is another matter entirely.......I identified him because he is the only one with the fitness and speed that I could identify off the top of my head.....no one else comes to mind really

To put it in more perspective...Joevin used to play STRIKER for W Connection.  And was effective in that role too.

You put a player in a position that he happy, comfortable, AND motivated to play.....you'll more than likely get the best of that player.

That said, a coach has to think first and foremost...what is best for his/her team?  And if it's best for the team that you play wing back....not to mention if there's stiff competition for places...you play where you can be consistently in the starting XI....then that's where you play.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 05:43:13 PM »
I was just fantasizing about having BOTH Carlos and JJ at their best, in those roles at the same time!  :beermug:

Good comparisons because they are/were both good going forward.  Carlos had more discipline tho which made adapting to that wing back position appear easier for him.

But lawd...I LOVE Carlos Edwards the player....but his crosses were HORRIBLE more often than not.

Best T&T wing backs I have seen were Brian Williams and Hoyte.

I was tempted to say Faustin but he was more midfielder than wing back.  Alvin Thomas wasn't bad either

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 07:09:07 PM »
Ok for sake of the argument if DL decide to go with 3 in the defense, who are our options for wingback?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 07:27:41 PM »
Ok for sake of the argument if DL decide to go with 3 in the defense, who are our options for wingback?

Unless we suddenly find pro players abroad that eligible for T&T, we have already used 99% of our options in the wingback position.  There is no doubt to me that wingback and goalkeeper (especially when JMW not there) are the positions of greatest need in the team.  The need for decent wingbacks is glaring.

Our realistic options are a nearly 40 year old Carlos Edwards, Daneil Cyrus, any of our central defenders other than Abu Bakr, Joevin, Cato (the only option that hasn't yet been used), or pick one from the Pro League.

I wouldn't call Shannon Gomez because he hasn't played a competitive match in months due to injury

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 09:27:11 PM »

Roberto mainly preferred a 4-2-3-1 but also employed a 4-3-3 and even 4-4-2 depending on opponent. However whatever system he used Ross Barkley was the fulcrum and the attacks normally came through him. Ross suited this as he was built like a brick s**t house, strong, speed and has a powerful shot. Roberto even described him as a mix of Paul Gascoigne and Michael Ballack. Doubt we have a player like that and it's kinda unfair to predict how Dennis will set up his teams to play based on what Roberto did at Everton.

Don't even mention Belgium cause their technical committee set up a plan some 10 years ago that commissioned all youth national teams to play 4-3-3 to provide a certain type of player for the Senior Team, hence they have such an abundance of technically gifted players of all positions at the minute. Now Roberto has them playing 3-4-3.

Remember Hart tried the guys on a 4-3-3 leading up to the 2015 Gold Cup and he had to switch back to 4-2-3-1 as there wasn't enough time to implement it. Time is of essence especially when implementing a new system on players/team when with their clubs it might be a different position and system. Conte is being praised now  but he had to shuffle the deck to get the right system to for the players available and the demands. And he is ah man dat like to switch systems as a tactic versus different opposition. At Juvetus was 3-5-2, 5-3-2 and even 4-2-4.

Lawrence just has to get his tactics right, pray the players buy into it and hope he get a lil luck!

Excellent post, I'm a fan of the 4-3-3, Belgium have played a very attractive brand of football since their revitalization...

In hindsight it will be interesting to see if Tallest takes Harts route but it may be too risky in regards to time...

Some will even argue that conte is better than Jose tactically but that is an open debate.... let's hope Tallest can get it right

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2017, 09:35:27 PM »

Unless we suddenly find pro players abroad that eligible for T&T, we have already used 99% of our options in the wingback position.  There is no doubt to me that wingback and goalkeeper (especially when JMW not there) are the positions of greatest need in the team.  The need for decent wingbacks is glaring.

Our realistic options are a nearly 40 year old Carlos Edwards, Daneil Cyrus, any of our central defenders other than Abu Bakr, Joevin, Cato (the only option that hasn't yet been used), or pick one from the Pro League.

I wouldn't call Shannon Gomez because he hasn't played a competitive match in months due to injury

Peltier if he is playing and if we are in dire need, don't know what his vibe is now, too bad skillah gone thru, would have been a good option

You spoke about the mid, well if Cummings has regained his form, he would ease the pressure off of JJ

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 09:36:35 PM »
All of these formations are fantastic ..if the Coach knows how to employ them..if the Coach doesn't know how to implement the Press..the wing backs would get very tired.

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 05:34:31 AM »
If you have JJ as left with wing back and Levi at left mid.I think you have solved your side issues...It's about playing to the coaches instructions...here you have two high energy youths...Who must find a way to build chemistry...
In any system if you loose the ball and stand still..The defense is always going to be compromised
Comes to fitness .. Commitment. And much Heart

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 07:14:44 AM »
I'm just unconvinced of a 2 CB formation with our current set up. The risk it places on the wing backs is extremely high. An effective back 4 requires the ability to shift and cover across the defensive line with precision. We actually did a good job in 05 campaign but that was with a very set back 4 who were very familiar with each other over a long campaign.

I dunno what DL will implement, there is a train of thought that you retain the system as its familiar with the player pool but his immediate work is to address defensive lapses which are just as complex and require just as much time as if he was implementing a new formation.

Let's suppose he kept a back line of 4 then maybe this formation may work

4-1-4-1

Where you have 4 stay home defenders with a stay home defensive midfielder as cover and you have the remaining 5 to create and score. That defensive midfielder also has to transition play from defense to attack. I just not sure if we have anyone who can fill that role on both sides of the ball at the moment.

We need 2 clean sheets over the next two games before anything else, we will get our chances on goal playing at home. But if it becomes a game of trying to outscore the opposition then i don't think that is tactically prudent or even sensible given our goal scoring form.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2017, 12:05:53 PM »
I'm just unconvinced of a 2 CB formation with our current set up. The risk it places on the wing backs is extremely high. An effective back 4 requires the ability to shift and cover across the defensive line with precision. We actually did a good job in 05 campaign but that was with a very set back 4 who were very familiar with each other over a long campaign.

I dunno what DL will implement, there is a train of thought that you retain the system as its familiar with the player pool but his immediate work is to address defensive lapses which are just as complex and require just as much time as if he was implementing a new formation.

Let's suppose he kept a back line of 4 then maybe this formation may work

4-1-4-1

Where you have 4 stay home defenders with a stay home defensive midfielder as cover and you have the remaining 5 to create and score. That defensive midfielder also has to transition play from defense to attack. I just not sure if we have anyone who can fill that role on both sides of the ball at the moment.

We need 2 clean sheets over the next two games before anything else, we will get our chances on goal playing at home. But if it becomes a game of trying to outscore the opposition then i don't think that is tactically prudent or even sensible given our goal scoring form.

I always thought Boucard was good in the transitional game, for me that's a holding mid role and Boucard fills that, I am not fond of hyland and never thought he played that role particularly well imo

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 06:19:21 PM »
a great book on the evolution of football systems in history..." Inverting The Pyramid"..by Jonathan Wilson...amazing.
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

1]; } ?>